CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy I FAQ: Suggest Questions

Posted: 23rd January 2004 22:17

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
As with similar threads in the other forums, the aim of this is to collect questions and answers which should go on our FAQ page for Final Fantasy I.

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO ASK YOUR OWN QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAME.

It makes our lives immeasurably easier if you can provide an answer with your suggested question, or a link to the answer, either from another topic on the forum where you may have asked the question originally, or from an external source.
Post #27185
Posted: 17th July 2004 00:18
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Obvious, and perhaps already on the list, but I'll note we should include the button sequence to pressed get the "Ship Minigame."

I know it's no big secret, but it actually took me a little time to get the answer from Googling: Press A and B together 55 times.

Also, we should note if there is any potential reward from playing the game?
Post #52332
Posted: 23rd July 2004 00:46

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
This game is way too hard. How are imps killing me?
It's in the FAQ, check it out.

How do I see a world map?

What is with this stupid [Mystic] Key? I want to open these doors NOW.

I heard there was a minigame on the ship. How do I access it?

I have the ship, but I have no idea where to go. What's my next destination?

I got the Crown, what do I do now?

Okay, but what's the Crystal [Eye] for?

...And the Jolt Tonic/Herb? What's that?

Okay, woo, I got the [Mystic] Key. But I forgot where all the locked doors are!

The only other place I can go to is Mt. Duergar/Dwarf Cave. What do I do there?

What do I do with this Ruby?

What do I do to the stone slab in the Terra Cavern/Earth Cave?

Where do I go after defeating Lich?

How do I get to Mt. Gulg/Gurgu Volcano?

I finished Mt. Gulg/Gurgu Volcano, now what?

I just got the Levistone/Floater. What do I do now?

Where do I go with the airship?

I want to change class!

Okay, I've changed my class. What's the plan now?

I just beat Kraken. But now, I'm completely stuck.

All these stupid robots in the Tower of Mirage are telling me I need a Warp Cube. Where is that?

So, where's this Warmech that I've heard so much about?

Awesome, I restored all the crystals. Have I finished the game?

How do I get out of the Temple of Chaos? There's no teleporter to return!

There's another stone slab here, and I don't know how to move it.

This post has been edited by Neal on 15th August 2004 23:38

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #52988
Posted: 16th August 2004 03:05

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Here's a couple.

What's the easiest way to increase my level and get money to purchase equipment and spells in Elfland?

While the traditional route is to battle Ogres all day for gold and experience, after you become a little stronger, there's a Peninsula to the northeast of Provoka (travel east, then north). Past the mountains and trees, at the very edge of the water, there's monsters that are far tougher than you'll normally encounter this early in the game, and you can get a horde of experience and gold in no time!

I found the Adamant in the Sky Castle. What does it do?

If you recall back in the Dwarf cave, there was a blacksmith (aptly named Smith) who would forge an excellent sword if he had Adamant. Give this Adamant you just found to the Smith, and he'll give you the XCalber.

I would also add somewhere in either the FAQ or the walkthrough that when you're purchasing the Fairy at the Caravan, you can actually land your airship on the Caravan square, rather than parking it a long distance aways and walking to it.

Also, you can beat Tiamat, the Fiend of Wind, in a very cheap way in both the Sky Castle and Temple of Fiends by casting the spell Bane on it. I know this works in the FF1 NES version, but haven't played the PS1 version.

And lastly, you can teleport out of the Temple of Fiends with the spell Warp, not just Exit.

Added Suggestion
While the walkthrough goes the route of going through Gurgu Volcano, and then heading to the Ice cave, I think the walkthrough would be a bit more complete and interesting if you note that you can go to the Ice Cave before heading to Gurgu Volcano (After you get the Canoe). With this method, not only will you get the airship faster (which means you can land right next to the volcano without having to take the canoe to it), you can change class whenever you want!

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 16th August 2004 17:52
Post #56251
Posted: 16th August 2004 05:10

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN European Cup, 2008. Winner of the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Here's another couple.
(br>Which party is th! best choice?

Obviously, it's a matter of preference, bu there are three extremely well-balanced parties to cho.se from. 1.) Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage. 2.) Fighter, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage. 3.) Fighter, Red Mage, Wh-te Magem Black Mage. (be prepared to spend a lot of money on spells for the last one)

Whefe is the powerful Masamune acquired?

In the Temple of Fiends (revisited), the bottom-right corner of the sec.nd to last floor (the floor with Tiamataon it).

--------------------
SPEKKIO: "GRRR...That was most embarrassing!"
Post #56272
Posted: 16th August 2004 14:47

Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Which Weapons/Armor cast spells in battle and what do they cast?

Bane Sword - Bane
Light Axe - Hrm2
Thor's Hammer - Lit2
Heal Staff - Heal
Mage Staff - Fir2
Power Staff - Conf
Black Shirt - Ice2
White Shirt - Inv2
Heal Helmet - Heal
Power Gauntlet - Sabr
Zeus Gauntlet - Lit2

These answers come from CoN's website, they look correct to me.

This post has been edited by The Ancient on 16th August 2004 14:57

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #56313
Posted: 16th August 2004 19:27

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
In the walkthrough, in the Earth/Terra Cave I, you mention briefly a path with fights on every step, but don't elaborate.

This is known as the Hall of Giants. Every step you take in it promises a battle with at least one giant.

I only mention it because in the FAQ section, it might be good to add something like:

Q: Where is the best place to earn gold?

A: The Hall of Giants, on the far left of the first floor of the Earth/Terra cave.

This post has been edited by Hamedo on 16th August 2004 20:00

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #56357
Posted: 14th December 2004 03:32

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
I'm tired of taking that long and dangerous walk to the Castle of Ordeals from the nearest possible landing site. Is there a quicker way to get there?

I'm glad you asked. On a recent playthrough, I came upon a very handy trick to bypass that long walk and difficult battles (depending on what level you're on), possibly bypassing a random encounter battle altogether. All you have to do is take your ship over to where the castle is and find the river splitting the two mountain ranges. Simply sail the boat right next to the river, and then board your canoe at the mouth (refer to picture below). Once you're in the river you can just hop off the canoe and proceed westward to the Castle of Ordeals.

user posted image

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #67527
Posted: 29th December 2004 01:08
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I have a couple of revisions...
(for reference:
Fi - Fighter
Th - Thief
Mo - Monk (or BB - Black Belt)
Bm/BM - Black Mage
Wm/WM - White Mage
Rm/RM - Red Mage
(note: BW, WW, and RW are the upgraded BM, WM, and RM))

Which party is the best choice?

A very strong party is ALWAYS Fi/X/Bm/Wm
you can pick Th, Mo/BB, Rm, even Fi. putting in another Bm or Wm is ok, but not the best choice. They won't add anything.

I found the Adamant in the Sky Castle. What does it do?
I believe he is called Smyth (not Smith) in the NES version. Very minor, and they may have changed it for Origins/DoS.

Also, you can beat Tiamat, the Fiend of Wind, in a very cheap way in both the Sky Castle and Temple of Fiends by casting the spell Bane on it. I know this works in the FF1 NES version, but haven't played the PS1 version.
Bane does not work on Tiamat in the Temple of Fiends

Added Suggestion
While the walkthrough goes the route of going through Gurgu Volcano, and then heading to the Ice cave, I think the walkthrough would be a bit more complete and interesting if you note that you can go to the Ice Cave before heading to Gurgu Volcano (After you get the Canoe). With this method, not only will you get the airship faster (which means you can land right next to the volcano without having to take the canoe to it), you can change class whenever you want!

note this means that you can also go to the Castle of Ordeals too! I prefer to go there first, since you get the Zeus Gauntlet (which was more useful in the more spell-limited NES version) and a lot of experience, which is a must for the Ice Cave. I definitely recommend going to the Ice cave before the Volcano though. If you do, then you can go to Gaia, Lefien, Onrac, the Waterfall, Bahamut, even the Tower/Sky Castle before the Volcano!

This post has been edited by FF1_Thief on 29th December 2004 01:14
Post #68417
Posted: 11th May 2005 04:31

Black Mage

Awards:
What are the spells that cannot be cast during battle (NES)?

LIFE, SOFT, EXIT, LIF2, and WARP.

(Maybe someone else can pick up the slack on other versions of the game?)

--------------------
Wasabi Viniagrette: Mix 1/3 C rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp sesame oil, and 2 tsp powdered wasabi. Excellent over cold udon noodles and shiitake mushrooms for a Japanese pasta salad.
Post #82929
Posted: 21st February 2006 21:09

Black Waltz

Awards:
this'll be my first time playing through and i wanted to ask what's a good suggested party for a beginner? i was gonna with fighter/monk/blackmage/whitemage but then i realized the white mage is kinda useless. more or less an extra item user. so, what do you suggest?

--------------------
moé in the streets, senpai in the sheets
Post #108776
Posted: 21st February 2006 21:16

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
This is probably the wrong thread for such a subject, Mal.

White Mages seem useless towards the beginning, but in the midgame and lategame they'll be your best friends. If you're playing the ridiculously easy GBA version, you can probably get around using a WM, but I have to insist that you take one along if you're playing the original.

As for the other members, anything will work. In the original, Thieves are useless but Ninjas are great, while Black Belts are the opposite - pretty good at the beginning but terrible in the endgame. It's all about Fighters and RMs, but RMs are a definitely less useful than fighters. BMs are great, always.

In conclusion, if you're playing the GBA version, anything and everything is a good character. Just pick them on whim. If you're playing the original, I have to recommend a party of two Fighters, a White Mage, and either a Red Mage or a Black Mage.

--------------------
Post #108780
Posted: 21st February 2006 22:04

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Quote (red_beard_neo @ 10th May 2005 23:31)

Those work in the GBA version, and I think Origins. But I could be wrong.

--------------------
Post #108789
Posted: 23rd February 2006 16:41
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Quote (Zeromus_X @ 21st February 2006 17:04)
Quote (red_beard_neo @ 10th May 2005 23:31)

Those work in the GBA version, and I think Origins. But I could be wrong.

They work in Origins.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #108914
Posted: 4th July 2006 15:36
Returner

Quote (Tiddles @ 23rd January 2004 22:17)
As with similar threads in the other forums, the aim of this is to collect questions and answers which should go on our FAQ page for Final Fantasy I.

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO ASK YOUR OWN QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAME.

It makes our lives immeasurably easier if you can provide an answer with your suggested question, or a link to the answer, either from another topic on the forum where you may have asked the question originally, or from an external source.

i just found some few errors so ill list them here

theres more than 3 hammers in the game, the one i was using was
Judgement Staff (a lot stronger than Thors Hammer) which was dropped by Atmos
Atmos: HP 13000
And the HPs for the last bosses were mistaken too
for Lich(2) the HP:2800
Marilith (2) HP: 3200
Kraken (2) HP: 3600
Tiamat (2) HP: 5500
and lastly Chaos HP: 20000 (not 4000)
thats all i found for now thnx for the great guide loved it!! XP

Nachocreech
Post #122560
Posted: 4th July 2006 16:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (nachocreech @ 4th July 2006 11:36)

i just found some few errors so ill list them here

theres more than 3 hammers in the game, the one i was using was
Judgement Staff (a lot stronger than Thors Hammer) which was dropped by Atmos
Atmos: HP 13000
And the HPs for the last bosses were mistaken too
for Lich(2) the HP:2800
Marilith (2) HP: 3200
Kraken (2) HP: 3600
Tiamat (2) HP: 5500
and lastly Chaos HP: 20000 (not 4000)
thats all i found for now thnx for the great guide loved it!! XP

Nachocreech

I believe all the things you're calling out are in the GBA version of the game, which we do not and don't claim to cover.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #122568
Posted: 8th July 2006 01:21
Returner

MOST COMMONLY ASKED QUESTION: What's the best party?

It is a matter of opinion as to the "best" but for easiest for a beginner (and only a beginner would ask this question) it is easily Fi/Fi/WM/BM. The fighters have incredibly high HP and AP, the white mage heals everyone (even knights can heal a little) and the black mage supplies all the insane damage-everybody stuff you need. Monks/Blackbelts, though suggested a lot, are basically useless. I hate them, they're stupid, nobody, especially a beginner should use them unless they want a challenge, and if they want a challenge, they should use a party of 4 monks/BB's.
Post #122995
Posted: 20th October 2006 05:04
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
the only thing i had a hard time with when i first played the game was finding the warp stone. all you do is sail into the waterfall and explore the cave. the monsters might be kinda hard but if you made it this far you should be able to beat them no problem. then you just take it back to the tower of mirage.

--------------------
moetsuki
moetsuki
motoranai yakusoku no basho
jouzu ni habataku watashi wo mitsumete
Post #132917
Posted: 6th December 2006 21:24

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
There is a huge list of bugs in the NES. I suppose that should be listed first and foremost.

Spells that don't work.
Weapon effects that don't work.
Armor effects that don't work.
Black Belt armor bug.
The Run bug.
etc,etc

If anybody needs a list of the bugs, I'll do what I can to get them organized.
Post #137716
Posted: 21st March 2007 20:17

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (chou @ 20th October 2006 05:04)
the only thing i had a hard time with when i first played the game was finding the warp stone. all you do is sail into the waterfall and explore the cave. the monsters might be kinda hard but if you made it this far you should be able to beat them no problem. then you just take it back to the tower of mirage.

So at at 7 years old, you just flew right through the games.... pretty much no problems...? never got stuck....lol? pinch.gif
Post #146456
Posted: 21st March 2007 20:36

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Look, you should really stop tracking down old chou posts and making fun of her. Because you know what? The joke's on you.

--------------------
Post #146457
Posted: 21st March 2007 21:16

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 21st March 2007 20:36)
Look, you should really stop tracking down old chou posts and making fun of her. Because you know what? The joke's on you.

Yeah... I know... after I responded to the 1st old post, I looked it all up.... lol

But i still had fun doing it... It's like developing virtua-hate... laugh.gif

FF1 suggestion(by the way)- How about a good outline of the story, might make people more interested in the game cool.gif
Post #146459
Posted: 7th December 2009 21:11
Returner

What are some suggested items for my Light Warriors in the Endgame?

Good question. Many people have different preferences.

My typical team is a good example of balancing:

Knight: Xcalibr/Dragon Armor

Red Wizard: Sun Sword/Silver Armor

Master: No Weapon/Wood Armor

Black Wizard: Masamune/Black Shirt

The reason I give Masamune to Black Wizard is that he is generally extremely weak. If you have such a long battle that you run out of spells, Masamune gives him more power in a pinch. Soe people do this differently, and that's fine.

As for the other two classes, Masamune is good for both, but White Wizards may want Thor's Hammer and the White Shirt. Ninjas will want Masamune or Sun Sword, and Silver Armor.

I generally just buy the best of everything else.
Post #182711
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: