CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Question on semi-canon content...

Posted: 17th February 2009 09:15

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
I was wondering if semi-canon stuff like the Figaroan history, the timeline, and other stuff could or even should be added to the site. Its not entirely canon, since it wasn't all in the game, but it may give you guys a one-up on other sites, and would surely make the knowledge more widely known. If not, that's cool. Just thought I'd ask; I've been wondering.

--------------------
The opera was only performed in English ONCE. T_T

Hey, FF artists! You might want to check this challenge out!

WEBSITE <3
Post #175527
Posted: 17th February 2009 21:03

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I have two primary concerns with this, and you're spot on predicting one of them. smile.gif First, let me say that this kind of data really is interesting to a variety of people, I'm sure. I wouldn't say no based on that, to be sure. Just because I'm not necessarily one of them doesn't make the idea a no-go; heck, we have a FFV section!

My concerns are these:
  • The fact that it's not really canon (having looked at the threads you linked, it would seem to me that "semi-canon" might be a little generous - feel free to prove me wrong) means that I can not independently verify the content. That's a hard pill for me to swallow, as most of the last decade-plus with regards to this site has been me trying to find ways to objectively confirm all the stuff that goes on the main site. That being said, this content would have to come to me complete and lacking any need for me to edit it beyond perhaps some light formatting to guarantee HTML validity, and the author would have to be someone willing to handle any questions or complaints about it in a timely manner.
  • I have also spent a significant amount of time, probably since the launch of the current version of CoN over five (!) years ago, that despite the site's name this is NOT a Final Fantasy VI site. Since I haven't seen many indications that people want to do similar translation projects for other games that we cover, I worry that if we put out a bunch of new content like this for FF6 and never follow it up with anything from any other game, that we're reinforcing a perception of the site that is unfair to the vast amount of work we've done heretofore.

Note that neither of these concerns equals "no." Like I say, it is surely an interesting idea. But it's really not one that I can afford to pour much time into without just cause, so I'd be very interested to get feedback from the community as to whether the group finds it a worthwhile goal and who among us is willing to contribute to make it happen.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #175535
Posted: 17th February 2009 23:06

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
Okay, that's fair enough, I definitely see your hold-up with that. Unfortunately I don't think we're going to find many people who are both willing (interested and online) and able (knowing Japanese and/or having a booklet) to contribute; Shiva Indis seems to be offline forever D:, I tried to contact her and got no response. I'm perfectly willing to do what I can, which includes formatting, organizing, and rewriting the information, but I'm not sure how well I could answer "questions and complaints". I don't speak Japanese and I don't have the booklets that the information came from.

The booklets are why I think the content is semi-canon; they were written by Official Square People despite the content of said books not being in the game. There is more FF6 content than just the Figaro stuff and the timeline; I dug up a lot of old topics relating to it. Most of the information seems to come from a type of FF6-Bible called "The Complete". Its canon-ness is up to you to judge, but I can say that we're not making it all up; I've seen the same stuff roughly translated in a few different places - that's why I have the source section on the little Figaro article.

As for worrying about people's perceptions, well - there is a little FF4 stuff in this topic, which is one of my source pages. I know it's not much at all, but I feel like FF6 was one of the more popular, if not the most popular, 2D FF game, so there's just plain more content out there for it. If there was an FF1, FF2, FF3, etc booklet that was translated somewhere, I'd be glad to rewrite that up for you too. The thing is, it just wasn't written, or it wasn't to my knowledge; I could be wrong. Again, that's your choice/opinion there, whether you think having the extra information is worth people thinking the site is for FF6 only.

Again, I'd interested in helping if you need me to do anything to get it up on the main site, but aside from lots of Googling and rewriting the information comprehensibly there's not a lot I can do.

Thanks for replying so quickly!

--------------------
The opera was only performed in English ONCE. T_T

Hey, FF artists! You might want to check this challenge out!

WEBSITE <3
Post #175538
Posted: 28th February 2009 05:14

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Information regarding FF background, character, and timeline information that's in Japanese only Square publications such as the Ultimania, are definitely, 100% canon. Such booklets have existed since FFIV to FFXII, and even the developers reference and mention them in interviews and such regarding plot details. It's canon.

--------------------
//www.rpgmaker.net/
We make games. Period.
Post #175826
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: