CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Possible FFT Section Additions

Posted: 6th May 2008 23:56

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I have two possible "enhancement" suggestions for the (excellent) FFT section. If they are already there, feel free to show me and close this thread.

I'm currently preparing for the Deep Dungeon, and I noticed that the exit locations for each floor are not posted. IIRC, there are several (four?) possible locations on every floor. I think posting where they are would be a sound move.

Also, I don't know if CoN even has the capability to add my second idea, but I think actual screenshots of the Deep Dungeon boards with exit/trap/treasure panels highlighted or circled would be awesome. I admit, it would take rather less brainpower than figuring out where (0,0) is, then finding the square by counting, but I can't find any sites with such a map - would be a big help for people still playing.

--------------------
You don't scare me, you talking blobs of oozing slop! I am impervious to pain!
Post #166603
Posted: 7th May 2008 00:31

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I've already researched the ability to create maps from the battle maps of the game. I haven't made much progress since last summer because the map data doesn't exist in the game data in a way that is convenient to dump, and screenshotting the data properly requires a massive time commitment. To create a single map requires at least eight individual screenshots, because there are four angles per map and you can't fit most maps into a single screen regardless of the angle.

To do this to the quality level that CoN demands adds another layer of complexity, because we then need to clone out sprites and other obnoxious elements. If you're looking at a map, you want to see the map, not three instances of Ramza over the top of a map, you know?

Now, as for the exits, we obviously haven't taken the time to try to evaluate every tile to see whether it's an exit or not. The fact that it's randomly defined means that each battle would have to be done at a bare minimum four times, probably more since you'd have an increasingly large chance each time that you'll be given an exit you've already found.

I totally agree with you, for what it's worth, which is why I wanted to do this nearly a year ago. There's a reason why you can't find this at any site, and why we still don't have it - man, it's a huge pain.

If there's anyone out there that wants to help with such an endeavour, then more power to you. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 7th May 2008 00:34

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #166604
Posted: 8th May 2008 05:41

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
well R51, i have a suggestion on this actually. id like to get some other users input as well as yours (which is why im doing a public post instead of a direct PM)

i have some 3d graphics skills, and with some time and patience (actually a LOT of time), i could create a 3d replica of some maps from the game. i started one already just to put the idea out there. its not quite done yet, but its the basic shape and heights of the araguay woods battlemap. i know nothing is listed yet, but like i said, i didnt want to go any further without some feedback or other suggestions.

user posted image

like i said, just a suggestion.

This post has been edited by jacemm7283 on 8th May 2008 05:41

--------------------
"Life: The deepest cut that wilt not heal. Fore it bleeds on and on as if an eternity. An endless river of blood in which death is thyne only escape. And as the tainted years pass, that escape muddles us with temptation."
Post #166680
Posted: 16th July 2008 19:11

Cactuar

Awards:
If I was a mod, I'd say "your'e hired." I look forward to seeing other maps (especially maps of the deep dungeon).

P.S. What do the red tiles represent?

This post has been edited by ramza_beoulve on 16th July 2008 19:11

--------------------
A hero is somone who steps up when everyone else backs down.

Your greatest adversary hides inside your mirror.
Post #169836
Posted: 16th July 2008 19:27

Black Waltz

Awards:
Most likely the trees.

Great job on that map, dude. I know I could have used a few of those on my first play through. I'd like to see more.

--------------------
"You know that feeling you get when you're on a merry go 'round, and you want to jump off to make the spinning stop, but you know it'll suck when you land? I feel like that all the time"- Keno

"I stab my girl until I fall down"
-Yukari
Do you like Horny Bunnies?
Post #169837
Posted: 30th July 2008 12:57

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Jace, I haven't had time to really think about this, but I'll be emailing you about it soon. I have some ideas.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #170939
Posted: 1st August 2008 17:01

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 30th July 2008 07:57)
Jace, I haven't had time to really think about this, but I'll be emailing you about it soon. I have some ideas.

i got your email r51. first off i want to appologize for a lack of updates to you regarding other work i had planned on doing. i recently got a job promotion, that plus the fact that there are 3 or 4 people on vacation, i have been swamped at the office. sad.gif ( im at work now actually which is why this isnt in an email )

anyway, i will get started when i get home today. it will be a long process, but probably worth it. the proggy i am using is a program designed for creation of Lego toys. i found that it is the easiest application to use for this project. ( place a cube, set the height, 1 for 1, 2 for 2 etc. and thats it. )

sorry for rambling...

--------------------
"Life: The deepest cut that wilt not heal. Fore it bleeds on and on as if an eternity. An endless river of blood in which death is thyne only escape. And as the tainted years pass, that escape muddles us with temptation."
Post #171040
Posted: 1st August 2008 17:09

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (jacemm7283 @ 1st August 2008 13:01)
i got your email r51. first off i want to appologize for a lack of updates to you regarding other work i had planned on doing. i recently got a job promotion, that plus the fact that there are 3 or 4 people on vacation, i have been swamped at the office. sad.gif ( im at work now actually which is why this isnt in an email )

anyway, i will get started when i get home today. it will be a long process, but probably worth it. the proggy i am using is a program designed for creation of Lego toys. i found that it is the easiest application to use for this project. ( place a cube, set the height, 1 for 1, 2 for 2 etc. and thats it. )

sorry for rambling...

Interesting. If it's not illegal to do so, feel free to email a link to that software to me, I'd be interested to have a peek.

--------------------

Post #171044
Posted: 1st August 2008 17:13

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 1st August 2008 12:09)
Quote (jacemm7283 @ 1st August 2008 13:01)
i got your email r51. first off i want to appologize for a lack of updates to you regarding other work i had planned on doing. i recently got a job promotion, that plus the fact that there are 3 or 4 people on vacation, i have been swamped at the office.  sad.gif ( im at work now actually which is why this isnt in an email )

sorry for rambling...

Interesting. If it's not illegal to do so, feel free to email a link to that software to me, I'd be interested to have a peek.

for my final project in digital graphics and animation, i made The End (i think it was) in maya 8. it wasnt too hard, just have to make a lot of blocks. i wish i still had that file....

--------------------
Aujourdhui a commence avec toi.
Post #171046
Posted: 4th August 2008 03:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
R51, thanks for the zip file you sent me. i started makin some maps yesterday.

here is a sample of one. gariland magic city. ( first battle )
user posted image
sorry if the starting locations are wrong. i was going by memory with them. ALSO, im not done labeling the tiles with the appropriate heights. wacko.gif that parts a little tricky.

C&C ??

--------------------
Post #171150
Posted: 4th August 2008 22:23

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Woah, that's really cool.
Post #171165
Posted: 5th August 2008 14:27

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Pretty sexy so far, Jace. I have some more thoughts that I'll be emailing/PMing once they're put together.

--------------------

Post #171177
Posted: 5th August 2008 19:24

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
That is most impressive, man. I look forward to the finished product!

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #171184
Posted: 5th August 2008 19:49

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Wow, that's amazingly impressive. I was also hoping some maps would be put up, but I had no idea how much effort it would take. I was thinking of borrowing my cousin's old players guide and scanning in the maps, but then I realized that would be copy right infringement most likely. >< Anywhoo, keep up the fantastic work. Kudos to you Jace!

--------------------
CloudxAeris=Undying Love. ^_^
Post #171186
Posted: 10th November 2008 18:05

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Jace, I was holding off emailing you until I finished some stuff I was working on for this project. Of course, it took me about two months longer than I anticipated, as do most things these days.

I'll PM you in a bit.

--------------------

Post #173139
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: