CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
CHRONO TRIGGER=BEST GAME EVER?

Posted: 22nd August 2002 17:14
Returner

CHRONO TRIGGER=BEST GAME EVER, I believe this is true. I'd like to hear what people here have to say about this. So what do you have to say?

--------------------
Signature?... Tyler?
Post #1512
Posted: 22nd August 2002 18:46

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I myself would first like to hear your reasons for thinking so. ^_^

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #1513
Posted: 22nd August 2002 19:10
Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Soul Calibur is better  :p

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #1515
Posted: 22nd August 2002 20:23
Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Chrono Trigger is on my list of the top 5 Best Games... I'll leave it at that...
Post #1516
Posted: 22nd August 2002 20:26

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I don't know about best game ever, per se, since there are so many different games to choose from that giving any particular one the title of "best" would be a grave injustice, no matter how sound the reasoning.

It is, however, tied for my very favorite RPG ever.  (The other one being Final Fantasy III/VI).

That being said, how could you not love Chrono Trigger?  The characters, plot, gameplay, music, and even graphics were outstanding.  Not to mention the game had Magus.  Any game with Magus has got to be good.  ;)

And, for the record, Chrono Trigger is  better than Soul Calibur, at least for me.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #1518
Posted: 22nd August 2002 20:28

Crusader

Awards:
One of the best, definitely. I know it's not my favorite, but every time I play, I realize what a masterpiece it really is.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #1519
Posted: 22nd August 2002 20:36

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I don't know what I would call "The best game ever".  Chrono Trigger is one of my favorites though.  Memorable characters, scenes, and lots of reasons to replay.

--------------------
"So in the end
I will be-what I will be
No loyal friend
Was ever there for me"
-Gollum's Song, Emiliana Torrini
Post #1520
Posted: 22nd August 2002 21:24

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
I'd put it in the top 10 for sure. But like SM said, there's just too many games for one to stick out like a sore thumb as "the best".

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #1522
Posted: 23rd August 2002 00:31

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that opinion.  For me, FFT has reigned at the top of my list for quite some time now and it's going to take something beautiful to topple it.  Chrono Trigger is an EXCELLENT game, and looking at my list right now (I actually keep a top 10 list.  That's how dorky I am), it's not even on there.  It was probably bumped off awhile ago, but I just find more games to be more enjoyable.  While there wasn't a category of the game that I found to be lacking (graphics, music, sound, story, characters), it just didn't match up to the standards set by other games.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #1528
Posted: 23rd August 2002 03:54

Black Waltz

Awards:
I thought Crono Trigger was people favorite RPG game (from people who played most Squaresoft games).
Can I make a poll here? :lol:
If you let me make poll, let me tell you one thing, only vote if you tried all the games in the choices becase when I made polls from random people for best FF games, FFVII had most votes (if you put it in non-FFsites, it'll be FFVIII or FFX for sure  :E ), but when I asked for vote from people who both played FFVII and FFVI all the way, FFVI had more votes ;p

--------------------
I will be there...
Post #1529
Posted: 23rd August 2002 16:14

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I heart Chrono Trigger. Easily, one of the greatest games I've ever played. As for the "Greatest game ever"... .... It falls in a well-placed third with me behind FF6 and FF9.

The characters kicked mucho ass. The storyline was well played out. And also the settings were excellent. Simply a great game to play and a triumph for Square
Let me just take time to say: Robo, Frog, Ayla... only group you'll ever need. [In my opinion anyway :)]

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #1558
Posted: 24th August 2002 02:34
Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2003. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
mookie has yet to play Chrono Trigger

::waits for flaming garbage to be thrown at him::

--------------------
Air force... if you ever join the militant wing, join the Air force

Army = jockos
Navy = seasick nerds
Marines = show offs
PeaceCorp = hippies

AF is the way to go
Post #1591
Posted: 24th August 2002 20:18

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
::throws flaming garbage at Mookie::

CT is my number one game. I've listed the reasons before, but in short the main ones are great gameplay, excellent story line, the plus game, and alternate endings. If you haven't played it, play it, or have more flaming garbage thrown at you.

side note: Soul Caliber is the best fighting game ever made. I can't wait until the sequal comes out.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #1615
Posted: 27th August 2002 23:35

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Yes... wonderful game. It falls short to some of the Final Fantasies and SMRPG, definately. There's also some of those RTS and FPS games that are just great, too.
Post #1715
Posted: 28th August 2002 04:41

Black Waltz

Awards:
well, for me, I'm not really fan of Crono Trigger. However, I personally played that game and understand why you like it ;p
I'm guessing that most of you like combo skills:nods:, but for me, I get annoyed by it (too lazy).

--------------------
I will be there...
Post #1729
Posted: 28th August 2002 13:28
Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Gears @ 24 Aug. 2002, 15:18)
::throws flaming garbage at Mookie::

CT is my number one game. I've listed the reasons before, but in short the main ones are great gameplay, excellent story line, the plus game, and alternate endings. If you haven't played it, play it, or have more flaming garbage thrown at you.

side note: Soul Caliber is the best fighting game ever made. I can't wait until the sequal comes out.

Soul Calibur 2 is out.......in Chicago

>_<  >_<  >_<  

no idea when it's comeing to home systems though, or when my local arcade will go into another "oh shit, this place sucks! Lets buy some more games!" phase  >_<

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #1733
Posted: 29th August 2002 00:46

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Neal @ 22 Aug. 2002, 19:31)
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that opinion.  For me, FFT has reigned at the top of my list for quite some time now and it's going to take something beautiful to topple it.  Chrono Trigger is an EXCELLENT game, and looking at my list right now (I actually keep a top 10 list.  That's how dorky I am), it's not even on there.  It was probably bumped off awhile ago, but I just find more games to be more enjoyable.  While there wasn't a category of the game that I found to be lacking (graphics, music, sound, story, characters), it just didn't match up to the standards set by other games.

And I'll have to disagree with that opinion.  ;)

Though I can easily see perhaps five RPG's outdoing Chrono Trigger on a person's Top Tens simply because of personal preference (some people appreciate different things in different games), I can't imagine how Chrono Trigger wouldn't place on a Top Tens list of RPGs.  I really can't name any ten which would completely and utterly outdo Chrono Trigger as an RPG.

For the record, Chrono Trigger does happen to be one of my favorite games of all time, RPG or not.  And, as mentioned previously, it is my favorite RPG, or at least tied with FFVI.

--------------------
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

~ Bruce Lee
Post #1753
Posted: 8th September 2002 17:52
Returner

It's currently tied for first with me. Tied with FF6 that is. I find it hard to compare the two because they both have differing styles. Sometimes I'll think I like FF6 more, and then I'll shift over to liking CT more. So for now I'll just settle on a tie between them.
Post #2185
Posted: 8th September 2002 21:25
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (Neal @ 22 Aug. 2002, 19:31)
Sorry, but I have to disagree with that opinion.  For me, FFT has reigned at the top of my list for quite some time now and it's going to take something beautiful to topple it.

same here

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #2188
Posted: 14th September 2002 01:38

Engineer

Awards:
BAH!!!!
Tales of Phantasia was better than either of them
CT or FF6
Post #2350
Posted: 3rd October 2002 16:57

Black Mage

Awards:
I've never played Tales of Phantasia...it's good you say? :p

--------------------
*END TRANSMISSION*
Post #3073
Posted: 4th October 2002 02:46

Engineer

Awards:
Yeah it's great, I've NEVER seen another game with the same battle system. If you have an Emulator on your computer you should definitely play it (It wasn't released comercially in the U.S.) you can get one at  http://www.cherryroms.com/news.php )

Play it!
Post #3116
Posted: 4th October 2002 23:58

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I'm kind of ashamed to say I hadn't played Chrono Trigger until about 6 months ago, when I picked it up on an emulation site.  Boy I was impressed!  That quickly climbed my list into my top five, with FFIII/VI at #1.  I think what makes it a running contender is that not only was it among the best in all areas of the game, but also the fact that it was made quite a while back.  The games of today seem to lack in some areas, while piling up on graphics.  I still havent beaten the game yet (somehow NWN erased EVERY FILE ON MY OLD COMPUTER When I uninstalled, but that is another story), but I am lovin every minute of it.
Post #3141
Posted: 6th October 2002 21:33
Returner

Awards:
It's a good game, but I wouldn't say it's the best game ever.

--------------------
Son of a submariner!

-Kefka
Post #3200
Posted: 8th October 2002 02:19
Returner

Awards:
Look at my avatar, and picture this...

Magnus, cape fluttering in the breeze, bringing death with shadow...
Frog, Masamune in hand, slicing up the world...
And Crono, the eternal mute lead, poking people with a sword.

Geez, I love this place. ;)

--------------------
My worst nightmare?

SQUARESOFT SURVIVOR!
OUTLIVE!
OUTSKILL!
OUTPLAY!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Note*  This sig. is meant as it sounds, because who in there right mind would want this?
Post #3267
Posted: 15th October 2002 22:09
Onion Knight

Awards:
I say CT is the best but it doesnt beat my top game which is Tales of Phantasia. Its too bad it never came out in the U.S but its still good. I say CT is my #2 best game.

--------------------
In the darkness looking for a way out, then I hear a call from my heart telling me to go forward. Then out of nowhere I see someone waiting for me and as I get closer I hear these words "I Love You"
Post #3488
Posted: 15th October 2002 22:20

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (H1Ro @ 15 Oct. 2002, 17:09)
I say CT is the best but it doesnt beat my top game which is Tales of Phantasia. Its too bad it never came out in the us but its still good. I say CT is my #2 best game.

Hoowah!  Finally, someone else who LOVES Tales of Phantasia!.  That game rules, but I seemed to be the only one here who thought so :( .  Well thanks for agreein' wit me :E .
Post #3491
Posted: 16th October 2002 00:46

Kung Foogle

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Ah, I see there's a bit of conversation about Tales of Phantasia around here.

I, for one, think Tales of Phantasia is a fine piece of work.  The characters are all likeable, which is always a plus, and the fantasy storyline is, well, fantastic!  In addition, the battle system manages to be innovative without making the AI extremely stupid, so it gets props in the gameplay category.  And the character concept artist for Tales of Phantasia was the same who became famous for work on the "Ah!  Megami-sama" OAVs, meaning that the quality of the art is professional, to say the least.

The only gripe I have about ToP is the status it has garnered as the "hip, trendy, straight-from-Japan" RPG that some people love to consider it as.  Some call it a great game not because of its actual merits, but simply because it was an at least decent game that was never released in America, and thus dubbed "cool" with its avant-garde untranslated-ness.  Treating otherwise fine video games as cheap status symbols is simply wrong, and a personal pet peeve that I just felt like expressing.  That's not to say that I consider any ToP fans around here to be guilty, since they seem like they've actually played the game and enjoyed it in and of itself.

That being said, I really didn't think ToP was up to Chrono Trigger in any level save character art, since I'm not a huge Toriyama fan since his work following the original Dragon Ball manga.  ;)

--------------------
~Dorothy L. Sayers

~T.S. Eliot

~ Bruce Lee
Post #3507
Posted: 19th October 2002 22:40

Engineer

Awards:
Well, yeah. There are a lot of people who will say a game is good just because it was a game never released in the U.S.  I however played through the entire game and I loved every part of it.  The storyline was (in my opinion) engrossing and unique.  All the characters added something unique to the story.  I must be strange because Chester was my favorite character.  It really surprised and moved me when you can get him back as a character later in the game when you return to the present (even though he was still at really low levels.
Post #3679
Posted: 6th November 2002 04:28

Black Waltz

Awards:
I would put CT in a second place tie with FFIV behind FFVI but ahead of FFV, FFVIII, and FFVII respectively

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #4546
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: