CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Crono Crono Crono (sigh)

Posted: 14th August 2003 09:19

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Ok now a whole bunch of my friends go off about how good Crono Trigger is and I admit the game has an awesome battle system and excelent replay value.  But... I still think FF6's plot surpasses it.  Anyways the point is my friends think Crono dosen't talk but during some parts he has to.  Like somebody will go whats your name and then they go Crono thats a great name.  He could be wearing a name tag so maybe that isn't the best example.  The best that I can think of is in the Court House he actually answers questions like "not at all" or "just a little" or "Marle did".  So he must talk.  If anbody agrees with me please say so or if you don't post your reason.  Also dose someobdy have a copy of every ending I really don't want to beat the game 15 different times.

--------------------
aint superstitious Black cat crossed my trail
I aint superstitious But a Black cat crossed my trail
But Lord has got me so far and I wont let her stop me now
The dogs begin to bark all over my neighborhood
And that aint all
UMmHMm
This is a mean old world to live in and I cant face it by myself
Post #16207
Posted: 14th August 2003 09:33

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
=> Square
SPOILER ALERT!  Highlight to view:
He also talks in one of the endings.

You must appreciate, though, that compared to the typical Final Fantasy "hero" Crono is practically mute.  Aside from the situation I mentioned above, he only talks when you must choose an option.  There's no built in personality or conversation.
Post #16209
Posted: 14th August 2003 15:25

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I think the point is, you the player is supposed to be Chrono. SO therefore, you are doing the talking. I'm sure Chrono is talking, but it doesn't show up on the screen because it's supposed to be you.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #16215
Posted: 14th August 2003 20:05

Cactuar

Awards:
I always HATE when the main character is mute like that. Chrono Trigger, Breath Of Fire, Suikoden, the list goes on. In all those games, the main character never says a thing! It's much nicer in the Secret Of Mana and Final Fantasy-series, where there's no throat infection at all. :lol:

--------------------
People say I'm a slow learner, but I type fast!
Post #16231
Posted: 14th August 2003 20:13

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Shirrow: Play Suikoden 3.  The trend ends.

And I like how they did it in Mario RPG.  Instead of having Mario talk, they had him mime everything.  It made it much more hilarious and interesting.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #16234
Posted: 14th August 2003 21:58

Black Mage

Awards:
I think the Zelda series started that trend of not talking.  I think he talks in the new ones though.

--------------------
aint superstitious Black cat crossed my trail
I aint superstitious But a Black cat crossed my trail
But Lord has got me so far and I wont let her stop me now
And that aint all
UMmHMm
This is a mean old world to live in and I cant face it by myself
Post #16242
Posted: 14th August 2003 22:33

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I like that quiet-guy thing. :-\ But I'm biased, I'm silent myself. >_>

--------------------
~Status Report~

* Completed... Dragon's Head
* Completed... Soldiers of the Empire: Disciples (release pending)
* In Progress/Undecided... Of Love and Betrayal
* Planning/Assembly... Where it all Began
Post #16243
Posted: 16th August 2003 12:15

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Zephir @ 15 Aug 2003, 00:33)
I like that quiet-guy thing. :-\ But I'm biased, I'm silent myself. >_>

Nothing wrong about being quiet, but it's annoying when the main character of a game NEVER says a sentence, while the others speak all the time. Especially if the main character is the leader of a big rebel army or something like that. :D

--------------------
People say I'm a slow learner, but I type fast!
Post #16290
Posted: 17th August 2003 10:38

Crusader

Awards:
Well... it sometimes irritated me that Crono never said a thing, but I got used to that. Besides, playing Zelda on GB and Golden Sun on GBA wasn't so nervous-making to me after that.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #16316
Posted: 19th August 2003 20:10

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Well its pointing out i think that they are a bunch of juvenile delinquites or its sorta like in ff9
SPOILER ALERT!  Highlight to view:
when garnet loses her voice exept for the battle

--------------------
PARENTAL ADVISORY:The text in this signature may offend some people read at your own risk.
Post #16396
Posted: 22nd August 2003 06:25
Returner

I dunno why but it never really bothered me when the main character didn't talk...  Now that I think about it it is pretty wierd that a person can go through their entire trial and say only 3 sentances, and short ones to boot.

--------------------
"Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
- Golda Meir
Post #16517
Posted: 24th August 2003 22:13
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Tee hee! My favourite silent character is Isaac from Golden Sun, and the only, and best, line he has in the whole game is '!!!'. Apparently he's going to talk a lot in the new game. I wonder if that means Felix will shut up.

Squall was pretty quiet as well though. His '...'s drove me crazy. For gods' sake! I've heard of angsty teenager quiet types (no offence to anyone who is one... some of my friends are too), but he just took it to an extreme!!

But then look at Tidus, who does talk excessively. Grah. I'd rather have a quiet main character than a bubbly one. I suppose Square try and even it out though with a quiet playable character (Shadow, Vincent and Auron as examples), and an overly excitable playable character (Yuffie, Selphie, Eiko and Rikku as examples).
Post #16617
Posted: 26th August 2003 19:50
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I think the non-talking main character trend has to do with the way people saw the video games.  Games used to be the player going through a story--now, a lot of them tend to be the player watching a story.  (coughgagzenosagacoughhackhack)

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #16699
Posted: 28th August 2003 01:57

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
*giggle* You know something? I didn't even NOTICE Crono wasn't talking. Only when I was playing through the game for the second time and happened to be talking to a friend about it did he say something about Crono's muteness, and I went, "What? What are you talking about, of COURSE he talks..." And then I couldn't think of a single example. Silly, oblivious me. :E
Post #16788
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: