CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Soraya Saga FFVI Doujinshi

Posted: 19th February 2009 04:22

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
Weeeelll I sent her a note. We'll see how it goes from there.

*crosses fingers*

I feel kind of bad ping-ponging this topic...but no one else seems to want to reply. T_T Doesn't anyone have any love for the Figaro bros?

--------------------
The opera was only performed in English ONCE. T_T

Hey, FF artists! You might want to check this challenge out!

WEBSITE <3
Post #175592
Posted: 19th February 2009 16:28

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
*crosses fingers too*

Yeah, I also feel bad about the ping-pong thing. That’s why I decided to stop replaying, wait, I already am, darn it.

Maybe they do like Edgar and Sabin but their backstories aren’t of interest to them. Or we are that scary ^___^

Xenogears random quote of the day:

Bart: Hey, alright, alright. Let me say goodbye to the women before we go.

But of course, he is Edbart’s son after all (hehe, Edbart, what a subtle reference).

--------------------
"Love, and do what you will" Saint Augustine
Post #175610
Posted: 21st February 2009 02:40

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
No, Orinocou like topic! Very interesting.
Orinocou read topic at length later, have application to write and submit.

... Ori talk like Ayla. Good times.

--------------------
Post #175671
Posted: 21st February 2009 02:45

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
Awesome. XD

And who doesn't love to talk like Ayla.

I'm just glad someone else cares. ; ;

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175673
Posted: 21st February 2009 21:40

Black Mage

Awards:
blink.gif Is Orinocouuuuuuu! I know this isn’t the place for this, but I’ll take the opportunity to say that I love love love love love your web-comic.

AHEM.

Someone (and that someone turned out to be Lockpick) was nice enough to link to us at a livejournal community

Xenogears random quote of the day:

Shakhan: You pirate… no you’re just a sandworm. You’ve caused me enough shame.

Kefka only says “son of a sandworm” in the Advance version, but it made me laugh anyway.

This post has been edited by Sandyboots on 21st February 2009 21:59

--------------------
Post #175694
Posted: 21st February 2009 21:46

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Oh my gosh that linker was me. DX Man, how do you find this stuff?

Also I love his comic toooo <3

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175696
Posted: 21st February 2009 21:57

Black Mage

Awards:
Oh my! LOL

I’m a professional lurker, that’s how. But I find it incredibly funny that I keep linking to you or your friends, thinking is new stuff. I hope you don’t think I’m stalking you or something pinch.gif

Edit: Aww, and I was happy that another person found this info interesting enough. You deceived me =P

This post has been edited by Sandyboots on 21st February 2009 22:02

--------------------
Post #175701
Posted: 22nd February 2009 03:47

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Whoa, this is all cool info tongue.gif

Is there a way to buy this?

This post has been edited by EdgarAndTerraFigaro on 22nd February 2009 03:57

--------------------
Isn't it soooo Cute!?
[img] http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/A...ntine2004-s.jpg[/img][CODE]
Post #175713
Posted: 22nd February 2009 06:23

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Unfortunately, no. I contacted the author and she informed me that there were only about a hundred copies printed when the book first came out and that even she didn't own a copy of the book. Shiva Indis seems to have one (luckyyy~) but I think she must be busy with real life; I tried emailing her and didn't get a response.

We did get a lot from Google and the RPG forum, though. The most helpful bits of information were the family tree scan and the fellow on that forum who gave us some translated info from "The Complete".

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175718
Posted: 23rd February 2009 02:32

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 

Oh, okay. Thanks anyway.

--------------------
Isn't it soooo Cute!?
[img] http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn161/A...ntine2004-s.jpg[/img][CODE]
Post #175737
Posted: 23rd February 2009 17:10

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
*picks jaw up off of floor*

*rereads thread*

*drops jaw again*

Holy cats! This makes the backstory that I use look positively anemic. A lot of thought went into creating all those characters and creating all that intrigue. (Well, okay. Multiply by three, remove all the royal parts, and you have my family tree, but still... wink.gif )

I say someone should film a Figaroan soap opera and put it on Youtube. biggrin.gif

--------------------
I figured I had paid my debt to society by paying my overdue fines at the McLennan County Library.

"Oh crap!"
- Bartz

"Huh? Why's everyone singing?"
- Sabin
Post #175750
Posted: 23rd February 2009 18:04

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Ah, God, that would be pretty amazing! And probably make me laugh my you-know-what off.

I wish we had more information on them. x_x

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175752
Posted: 23rd February 2009 18:06

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (MeaPortia @ 23rd February 2009 17:10)
I say someone should film a Figaroan soap opera and put it on Youtube.  biggrin.gif

I would love to see that, just for the lulz.

Square-Soft should have done an anime. I mean, they wasted time with Legend of the Crystals so why not? [No offense to Legend, it was ok on its own, but for a FFV sequel? No, just no]

What makes me sad is that there was so much more and we only got to see a fraction in the game. Of course it wouldn’t be fair to the other characters to add all of this for the Figaros when we know almost nothing about others *coughGogocough*, but still…

--------------------
Post #175753
Posted: 24th February 2009 01:24

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Ohhhhh my gosh i just got the name of Stewart's younger sister from Miss Saga herself. Cool! She contacted me on DA to tell me she did remember the name: it's Ivonne. You can look at her DA page to see the comment.

I feel so lucky~

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175762
Posted: 24th February 2009 01:48

Black Mage

Awards:
Awesome! You really are lucky. And Miss Saga is so nice.

One more piece of the puzzle. smile.gif

I tried to contact Shiva Indis but hotmail has trouble “due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.” I’m going to try again with my g-mail account.

No Xenogears today. The part I’m in the game doesn’t help much. Oh!, there was a guy named Vargas, but he wasn’t that interesting.

Edit: I’m still digging at the V-jump magazine transcripts. Here are some little tidbits.

From the December 1994 issue. Quotes provided by the awesome/awful Google translator.

“Priscilla = a little girl in Figaro Castle. Age is 8 years old, smaller than I RIRUMU! !”

Aha! There it was. I don’t have such a bad memory after all. By the by, RIRUMU=Relm

“The Edgar redecorate the bedroom is a hobby?
Tanaka: to change the layout of the room, I'll deal with stress and change. Incidentally room now is a safari-style, wearing a sleeping lion feet slippers.”

ROFL. Lion feet slippers?

Also, Christiel was raised at a monastery and met Stewart when he stopped to drink water in one of his hunts.

This post has been edited by Sandyboots on 24th February 2009 16:06

--------------------
Post #175765
Posted: 3rd March 2009 00:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Hey Sandy, thanks for the love on the dang-ol' comic. You asked if I have a tutorial- no, not really. My process for making comics isn't really anything noteworthy.

Can I just say that I am perpetually amused by the little girl's name being "Priscilla"? If that's not a perfect aristocratic name, I don't know what is. Now whenever I'm in Figaro (on the weekends mostly) seeing the girl brings delight instead of, uh, imagining what Edgar must have said to her.

--------------------
Post #175902
Posted: 3rd March 2009 09:59

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Thanks for those tidbits, Sandy. :D I'll add them and Ivonne's name in when I get a chance. It's nice to see that stuff is filling out.

I guess Priscilla wouldn't've been born until Edgar was nineteen, then...made an error in my fanfic. Whoops!

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #175912
Posted: 8th March 2009 14:26

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Lockpick @ 3rd March 2009 09:59)
I guess Priscilla wouldn't've been born until Edgar was nineteen, then...made an error in my fanfic. Whoops!

Aww, but I like the way it turned out. Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned it.

Something that is bothering me:

Quote (Final Fantasy Wikia)
Edgar, along with his brother Sabin, was born a prince to the throne of Figaro to his father Stewart Remy Figaro and his mother, an orphan named Crystale who may have had some mage descent. His mother died in childbirth. At the age of fourteen, Edgar participated in the 'hunting of the Antlion', a Figaro rite of passage into adulthood, and with his brother's help, he succeeded. His liking of women started early; at the age of fifteen, he got into trouble for flirting with his uncle's wife. When Edgar was only seventeen, the Gestahlian Empire poisoned his father. Their father died asking that both of his sons rule the kingdom together.

Wut? I know wikias aren’t the most trusted sites for information, but everything else matches. I wonder the source.

Also at 1:01 of the Kuroinu/Hyadain video. Who is her? I can “recognize” everyone but her (except when I get the twins mixed up). I used to think she was the aunt who was angry with Edgar’s manners. Now I don’t know, because she certainly doesn’t look like Guinivere. I’m confused again -___-

--------------------
Post #176003
Posted: 11th March 2009 04:38

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Haha, I'm the source. I really put myself out there, don't I...

--------------------

WEBSITE <3
Post #176039
Posted: 11th May 2009 03:58

Black Mage

Awards:
I'm very very sorry for bumping this topic but I'm fond of it and more importantly I have something to contribute with.

No.1 – Seems like part of the info contained in here doesn't come from “The Complete”. My deepest apologies for claiming false sources. That leaves the V-Jump magazine, Saga's doujinshi and a “mystery book”, I have suspects but I won't say anything this time until I'm 100% sure.

No.2 - After many breaks I finally finished Xenogears. Great game, I recommend to give it a look if you haven't done so. But apart that the game is incredible for it-self, I played it with research in mind, so here is something I threw together.

BIG FAT SPOILERS FOR XENOGEARS AND FFVI AHEAD.

Fatima and Figaro family trees side by side. Many thanks to Shiva Indis for the information on Figaro, Lockpick for gathering it all and UltimateGraphics at flickr for the truly awesome Xenogears Perfect Works translation. *I changed some names, nothing mayor, only different spelling so they could be the same in both sides.. oh, and Sabin name, I dunno, felt like going with what the author intended.

As you can see, many names appear in both trees: Roni, Rene, Edgar(Edbart), Agnes, Francis Ravane, Harcourt, Marlene=Mariel?

Besides the royal family trees, there's a bunch of other similar stuff between the two games. So if someone is interested in my ramblings say a word.

--------------------
Post #177316
Posted: 11th August 2009 20:46

Returner

Quote (Lockpick @ 13th February 2009 03:20)
Also, under hobbies, it says, "Russia to play the volley in REKINTOGITA." I have absolutely no idea what this means or how to make it comprehensible. Suggestions are appreciated.

I think this says that Edgar plays bolero style music on the renquinto guitar...

レキントギター
Renquinto guitars are small scale guitars that are are used throughout Latin America.

ボレーロ
Bolero is a name given to certain slow-tempo latin music that originated in Spain in the late 18th century.

OR maybe Edgar is really on the Russian volley ball team! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by telemosquito on 11th August 2009 20:48

--------------------
Post #180321
Posted: 11th August 2009 20:59

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Sandyboots @ 10th May 2009 23:58)
Fatima and Figaro family trees side by side. Many thanks to Shiva Indis for the information on Figaro, Lockpick for gathering it all and UltimateGraphics at flickr for the truly awesome Xenogears Perfect Works translation. *I changed some names, nothing mayor, only different spelling so they could be the same in both sides.. oh, and Sabin name, I dunno, felt like going with what the author intended.

Wait, I haven't really looked at this before. Is this saying Sabin's name was intended to be Matthew in the Japanese version? Is that official? How did they get Sabin?

--------------------
Post #180323
Posted: 12th August 2009 01:37

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (telemosquito @ 11th August 2009 20:46)
I think this says that Edgar plays bolero style music on the renquinto guitar...

That makes sense. Thank you telemosquito! wub.gif

It also explains this fanart.Although that doesn't look much like a requinto. And duh-uh, I'm mexican and it never crossed my mind, but it makes a lot of sense now that you mention it.

Wait, then both twins like to play a kind of guitar? Weeee. And bolero? Te-he, oh Edgar how you amuse me so.

Quote (BlitzSage)
Wait, I haven't really looked at this before. Is this saying Sabin's name was intended to be Matthew in the Japanese version? Is that official? How did they get Sabin? 

Sabin's Japanese name is Mash (マッシュ), probably Woosley thought it was an stupid name and changed it to whatever came into his mind.

Someone in the process screwed up, because Soraya Saga knows English and we know she wanted him to be Matthew or Matthias (blurry scan doesn't help) because of her doujinshi. So... Matthew->Mash-> Sabin?...Now that I'm squinting my eyes harder it looks more like Matthias.

--------------------
Post #180328
Posted: 10th September 2009 20:15

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Lockpick @ 17th February 2009 18:13)
Still wondering about that last princess's name (Stewart's younger sister). I got in contact with the fellow who wrote most of the source material used in this topic, I might ask him if his patience holds out. XD (I'm kind of annoying. I tried to contact Shiva but I didn't get a reply D:!)

And it's funny because once I made up a last name for Rachel...and it was Harcourt.

My god, have some people ever been talking in here! wub.gif

I'm very excited to get home and check the book for that name you want to see, Lockpick. Why did I make those scans so small - I can't make them out myself!

EDIT: Here you go, Princess Ivoire (イヴォワール内親王).

This post has been edited by Shiva Indis on 10th September 2009 23:44

--------------------
"Cavefish is delicious, but only if cooked."
Post #181305
Posted: 11th September 2009 01:55

Black Mage

Awards:
*GASP * It is you!

First of all, THANK YOU for all the info. You have no idea how happy it makes me read all this stuff.

Lockpick and I were trying to contact you some time ago but nothing worked, glad you took a peek around.

I just wanted to give my thanks. Oh and, if it isn't so much trouble and you have some spare time, could you be so kind to tell us if we messed up with some of the information? We don't know Japanese see, so some things came from deduction and bablefish >_>

One last time, I'm really really grateful. heart.gif

--------------------
Post #181315
Posted: 17th September 2009 22:00

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
There is so much awesomeness in the FF colusseum descriptions that I went through and translated all of the FF6 related material out of it. I'll probably start another thread for some of it.

I didn't see much in the compilation post that I thought needed clarification... except for Edgar and his ways with the ladies. There seems to be a tendency to assume ill where Edgar and females intersect, but I don't think the creators wanted that. I get the impression that Edgar's crush on Guinivere was innocent and noticed by few people. Also Saga/Tanaka makes a note that the whole thing with Pricsilla is a misunderstanding that he's kind of creeped out about.

On Guinivere, I looked up what your father's cousin is to you, and it seems that it's 1st cousin once removed.

I thought the bit with Mash getting crushed by the house was fascinating. At some point in development, that timed segment where you rescue the kid from the house in Tzen was set up so that Mash would die if you failed. If you took Edgar to the inn in Tzen once you get him back, there would be an extra scene of Edgar sifting through the debris. And this scene would repeat as many times as you stayed at the inn. cry.gif The developers decided this was too dark.

--------------------
Post #181432
Posted: 18th September 2009 03:10

Black Mage

Awards:
I'm being repetitive but, THANK YOU for the response!

Quote (Shiva Indis @ 17th September 2009 22:00)
There is so much awesomeness in the FF colusseum descriptions that I went through and translated all of the FF6 related material out of it. I'll probably start another thread for some of it.

Pretty please do!, what is this FF colusseum by the way?

I didn't see much in the compilation post that I thought needed clarification... except for Edgar and his ways with the ladies. There seems to be a tendency to assume ill where Edgar and females intersect, but I don't think the creators wanted that. I get the impression that Edgar's crush on Guinivere was innocent and noticed by few people. Also Saga/Tanaka makes a note that the whole thing with Pricsilla is a misunderstanding that he's kind of creeped out about.

I know Edgar isn't a total mess with women, but it is always fun to make fun of him. I believe I'm in the minority, but I insist, they should change back Gerad to Geoffrey, it is cute instead of “smart”. Of course without the explanation it doesn't have much worth. And the Priscilla thing, *snicker * , he got himself in big trouble, didn't he?

I thought the bit with Mash getting crushed by the house was fascinating. At some point in development, that timed segment where you rescue the kid from the house in Tzen was set up so that Mash would die if you failed. If you took Edgar to the inn in Tzen once you get him back, there would be an extra scene of Edgar sifting through the debris. And this scene would repeat as many times as you stayed at the inn.  cry.gif  The developers decided this was too dark.

That is dark, I knew Sabin was planned to be able to die from the house event, but I wasn't aware of Edgar's reaction. And to think the coin scene puts me all teary eyed, imagine if this was included in the game. Anyway, there is always Xenogears >_>)
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
* Imagines Locke killing Sabin *... the drama!

--------------------
Post #181435
Posted: 18th September 2009 04:25

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
So.. I remembered a few other things I wanted to add in here. happy.gif

FF Colosseum is the name of the series of articles in V-Jump that started after the release of FF6. (BTW, there had been another series up until that point, Chocobo's FF Laboratory, centering around FF5.) I'm endlessly happy that you folks pointed me in the direction of those summaries. My attempts to get actual magazines haven't come to much. Now I know exactly which issues to look for, too. biggrin.gif

There are more than a few inconsistencies in the pseudo-cannon. Over in this thread some folks pointed out that the timelines in the Creation Data book don't align with each other, and I guess there are some of the same problems in this material.

There seems to be some drift in names as well - a minor example is the brothers' mother is named クリステール in the V-Jump descriptions, and クリステル in The Marriage of Figaro doujin. (It doesn't effect the English pronunciation much.) On the other hand, I can't rule out copyist's errors without actual magazines to look at.

In the Oct. 95 FF Colosseum, Tanaka discusses the origin for the double-headed coin. It's a mis-struck reject from a set of commemorative coins for Stuart and Crystale's wedding. Yes, she's even got a backstory for the coin. I really want this issue, it's supposed to have a lot of pics, including ones of Guinevere and Jeffrey (drawn by Tanaka no doubt) which I would love to see.

Oh yeah, this amused me... When describing the blue eyes of the Figaro clan Tanaka uses the word hekigan - it just means blue eyes but it's rather poetical. In kanji that's 碧眼. If you drop the 'eye' kanji off of there and replace it with the kanji for 'gem', you get 碧玉 - hekigyoku, or as we call it, jasper.

This post has been edited by Shiva Indis on 18th September 2009 04:45

--------------------
Post #181436
Posted: 18th September 2009 12:45

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Shiva Indis @ 18th September 2009 04:25)
In the Oct. 95 FF Colosseum, Tanaka discusses the origin for the double-headed coin. It's a mis-struck reject from a set of commemorative coins for Stuart and Crystale's wedding. Yes, she's even got a backstory for the coin. I really want this issue, it's supposed to have a lot of pics, including ones of Guinevere and Jeffrey (drawn by Tanaka no doubt) which I would love to see.

Woah, and all this time I thought it was a special coin Stuart made for the twins. So it doesn't have Edgar and Sabin like in the Anthologies FMV.

I would also love to see that art. Do you think Tanaka still has it? Some time ago Lockpick asked her about "The Marriage of Figaro" and Tanaka answered that even she didn't have a copy.

Oh yeah, this amused me... When describing the blue eyes of the Figaro clan Tanaka uses the word hekigan - it just means blue eyes but it's rather poetical. In kanji that's 碧眼. If you drop the 'eye' kanji off of there and replace it with the kanji for 'gem', you get 碧玉 - hekigyoku, or as we call it, jasper.

Eeeek! The Fati... Figaro Jasper! You think it opens the way to a secret treasure?

Talking about inconsistencies, what do you say: Matthew or Matthias? I've heard of both, dunno which one is correct, or both are?

--------------------
Post #181440
Posted: 18th September 2009 23:45

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
In the doujin it's Matthias, but Mash for short. I'm satisfied with that - Mash is not an appropriate name for a prince of Figaro but it's a passable nickname. I am not opposed to Mathew either, but it's harder to make a link from Matthias to Mathew. (I am an individualist on name transliterations - I go with whichever ones I like the most.)

Perhaps you've played Suikoden 1? There is a pretty important character in that game named Mathiu Silverburg whose Japanese his name is マッシュ - identical to Mash's. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's interesting.

This post has been edited by Shiva Indis on 18th September 2009 23:49

--------------------
Post #181470
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: