CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Primary Jobs?

Posted: 22nd April 2012 19:29

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Everyone has them. Well, I think so, at least. You usually give your characters a few jobs to train in most often as your main party. What's yours?

I usually had Bartz as a Dragoon or a Knight, Reina as a Blue Mage, Galuf as a Monk, and Faris as a Red Mage.

Reina mastered the BluM, however, so she's training in other magical jobs now.
Post #200122
Posted: 22nd April 2012 20:41

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
Bartz usually starts off as a Knight for me.
Switches to a Mystic Knight for bosses, spends some time as a Ranger later.

Lenna as a White Mage and a Black Mage, sometimes spends a bit of time as a Red Mage.

Galuf as a Blue Mage, then later a Time Mage and Summoner.

Faris spends some time as a Monk to get Barehanded, then switches between Thief, Beastmaster, and Ninja depending on the situation.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #200124
Posted: 23rd April 2012 06:50

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Bartz stays as Knight for the majority of the game up until the good Time Magic like Comet and Hastega come in (and the Gladiator Job in the GBA version). He also moonlights as a Thief for stealing and for the Speed boosts for the endgame.

Lenna starts off as a White Mage, then once Summoner becomes available, goes between the two to keep her spell levels up. She also gets time as a Samurai to help with physical stats and, of course, Red Mage for Doublecast.

Faris goes into Monk to get Barehanded, then bounces between Magic Knight, Hunter, and Ninja to gather up the abilities needed for Dual Wield + !Spellblade + !Rapid Fire.

Galuf focuses on being a Monk, then when Krile takes over, she goes into classes like Chemist and Dancer to amass an impromptu but deadly skillset in the endgame.

--------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read this sign. This sign loves you.
Post #200127
Posted: 2nd July 2012 02:27

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I like making my characters really specific, like Bartz will always be a warrior/paladin and Lenna will always be a magic/ability user.

Bartz: Knight, Ninja, Red Mage, Dragoon, Blue Mage, Samurai, Ranger, Mystic Knight, White Mage

Galuf: Chemist, Bard, Ranger, Monk, Beastmaster, Geomancer, Samurai, Time Mage, Berserker, Thief

Faris: Theif, Ninja, Ranger, Dragoon, Summoner, Black Mage, Geomancer, Monk, Samurai, Blue Mage, Dancer, Bard

Lenna: White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, Blue Mage, Dancer, Bard, Geomancer, Time Mage, Beastmaster

I've only ever played through once mastering all jobs with everyone, though it was incredibly fun.

I think next time I'll do the ASAP challenge...why do you have to get the Red Mage so early?

This post has been edited by iSeizmik on 2nd July 2012 02:27
Post #200557
Posted: 24th July 2012 20:37

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
It's funny how the FF series trains you to match fighting styles with characters. Bartz is the protagonist, so should have a sword-related Job, like Knight. There's the timid princess to make into a White Mage, the old geezer to turn either into another 'weird' mage or Monk, and the sassy girl as a Thief or Black Mage.

I see a lot of first-timers going Knight Butz, White Mage Lenna, Monk Galuf and Thief Faris.

Having said all that, I've abandoned the mix-and-match playstyle mostly. I often start out with Monks and Blue Mages for the entire team. When I've learned Barehanded and !Blue for all four characters, I build from that towards Ninjas and Summoners by default, and specific Jobs for specific situations. That's mostly Thieves when there are good items around, and at least one Beastmaster for !Control.

--------------------
Post #200743
Posted: 25th July 2012 01:08

Returner

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
I see a lot of first-timers going Knight Butz, White Mage Lenna, Monk Galuf and Thief Faris. 

I have just started playing FFV for the first time - ever - and that is exactly how I started out with the jobs! Although I have started experimenting a bit now and with a lot of guidance from what others have written on the forums and what's stated in the walkthrough I've decided on having Bartz train as a Monk, until other jobs becone available, with the rest of the party "filling in" around him as necessary.

Really enjoying the game so far. I'm hoping to develop the other characters' job skills soon to creat a well-balanced party.

--------------------
I've got nothing more to say...
Post #200746
Posted: 25th July 2012 02:59

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Everyone maxes Monk and Thief, and everyone except Bartz maxes Summoner (or Oracle in FF V Advance). Those Freelancer bonus stats, man.

I generally give Bartz only physical jobs, with his final Freelancer build settling into some kinda dual-wielding Knight Sword guy with Spellsword. He puts hard time into Ninja, Mystic Knight, Archer, Knight, and maybe fringe physical classes like Samurai or Berserker.

Lenna is pure mage. She'll never touch physical classes other than Thief or Monk. I always have her max out Red Mage, Black Mage, White Mage, Summoner, and Geomancer/Elementalist. I think the !Terrain ability is one of the most underrated in the game; it's a perfect zero-MP side skill for mage classes that you don't want on the front line with Brawler (the Dragoon/Lancer's second skill after Jump is also good for this. I forget what it's called.). For the endgame she gets to be a Mime with X-Magic, White Magic, and Black Magic. All of the magic.

Faris is my utility gal. She'll work on physical classes that Bartz doesn't (Dragoon, Samurai, etc.) and several mage classes, but not as many as Lenna. I like giving her Time Mage, Bard, Blue Mage, Beastmaster, and Ninja in addition to the standards. For the endgame Faris is a dual-wielding Freelancer with some support skills. Something like Blue Magic + Gil Toss or something.

Galuf is almost as much mage as Lenna. He'll spend most of his time in magic-oriented classes but he'll also definitely max some side stuff like Dancer and Chemist (the former so he can equip Ribbons as a Mime for the endgame). For the very end of the game his successor gets to be similar to Lenna, but maybe with time magic or summons instead of black. Having two characters with full white and X-Magic is a great safety net.

--------------------
Post #200751
Posted: 26th May 2013 02:07
Returner

I decided to give a little creativity to my party on this runthrough. ive got:
Bartz (fist of the north star class)
-rapid fire
-berserk
Lenna (party hardy class)
-dancer
-chemist
Galuf/Krile (windmill berserker/angry child class)
-berserk
-dual wield
Faris (Burmecian class)
-jump
-red magic

i realize i've got a serious lack of heals here but im giving it a try at the fact that theyre unique setups. self named tongue.gif
Post #203438
Posted: 29th May 2013 00:05

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I started with Bartz as a Knight, Galuf as a Black Mage, Lenna as a White Mage, and Faris as a Thief. A fighting type is essential in any party, and a healer is next most important; Black Mages are nice, too, because they can often deal more damage than a fighter. Thieves, of course, are cool because I like stuff.

I also had each character master related Jobs:
Bartz - Knight, Monk, Ninja, Berserker, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Dragoon, Cannoneer, Samarai, Gladiater
Galuf - Mystic Knight, Black Mage, Summoner, Blue Mage, Geomancer/Elementalist, Necromancer
Lenna/Reina - White Mage, Time Mage, Bard, Beastmaster, Oracle
Faris - Thief, Ninja, Samarai, Cannonneer

I also am having everyone gain Level 3 Red, because Red is an extremely versatile Ability. I got good at FF6 before playing this, so I am accustomed to everyone knowing all the spells; Red is a nice compromise.

I tend to pick Jobs that match the character's personality, like many beginning players. I mostly picked Black Mage for Galuf since someone had to do it and I had already assigned Jobs to the other characters. Once I had assigned Bartz as a Knight, I proceeded to have him master all the fighting type Jobs, and did similarly for Lenna. Anyway this is getting way too long so

This post has been edited by RavenLalonde on 2nd August 2013 04:22
Post #203465
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: