CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Chrono Cross...Genius?

Posted: 16th February 2006 22:27

Returner

I am overwhelmingly compelled to believe that Chrono Cross is the result of genius. Its really cool to me how well it not only ties into the the plot from the first game, but how they also made many of the theories presented make sense in the real world. Once you hit the dead sea, i don't know how you can't just be completely engrossed in this game.

Maybe it's just me, but this idea is really cool.

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
humans incapable of coexisting with the rest of the planets inhabitants, and even the planet itself, is the result of coming into contact with an alien species

just makes sense to me...becuase if everything just evolved here, undisturbed, then why would one species stand out as destructive against the other hundreds of thousands?

--------------------
being the member of an interacial couple in a racist town isn't so bad as long as there's lots of sweet tea
Post #108385
Posted: 17th February 2006 02:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
It seems like there aren't a whole lot of Chrono Cross lovers here at the Narshe, but I definatly loved every minute of the game, so I agree that it is definatly brilliant. The large variety of characters, the at times sketchy and at times overwhelming plot, the way each decision effects the outcome of later events/the end game, it all works out really well, I think.

Though I'm not so sure about it pertaining to the real world, last I checked, we didn't get any god-like firey, planet consuming monsters come crashing down into our planet.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #108402
Posted: 17th February 2006 08:42

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Yeah, too many people worshipping Chrono Trigger to realize that Cross is, in fact, the more innovative game (although Trigger has the better sound track, I think).

About the only bad thing is playing musical chairs with all the elements for half an hour every time you switch characters around tongue.gif (oh, and I don't think all the speech mannerisms were all that necessary). Small complaints both, though.

--------------------
Post #108418
Posted: 17th February 2006 13:01

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I loved CC the time that I played it. My friend was supposed to emulate it for me since you can't buy it anywhere near where I live but no luck. The music was great, and the story was interesting. I didn't get far enough to see where the games are linked, and even if I did, I wouldn't get it, as I played CT a couple years after CC. If you played CT, and are actually able to obtain a copy for your PS, PS2 or an emu version for your PC, you should definitly play it.

--------------------
Post #108423
Posted: 17th February 2006 19:19

Returner

Though I'm not so sure about it pertaining to the real world, last I checked, we didn't get any god-like firey, planet consuming monsters come crashing down into our planet

i'm aware of this, but the idea of something foreign in general is what is cool to me.

--------------------
being the member of an interacial couple in a racist town isn't so bad as long as there's lots of sweet tea
Post #108440
Posted: 20th February 2006 11:28

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Chrono Cross was a great game, indeed. However, what made it one of the best was one thing that should be a requirement in all RPGs: the Fast Forward Button. It's the only time in RPG history that the developer considered the players to replay the game enough times they don't need to be spoon-fed every lengthy dialogue. This added to the replay value TREMENDOUSLY. I myself went through the full game 5 times. I can't even fathom how much of a godsend the FF button would be to other games, like Xenogears or FF. Bear in mind I don't praise convenience on a pedastal that often, probably since RPGs are seldom convenient, but the FF button is like... Chuck Norris played the RPG.
Post #108616
Posted: 22nd February 2006 17:07

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Honestly, I wasn't too impressed by Chrono Cross. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I didn't enjoy myself all too much.

--------------------
My name is Atma...... I am pure energy... and as
ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Post #108837
Posted: 3rd March 2006 17:27

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I don't HATE CC, and I admit it was a very enjoyable game. It had flaws that CT had, though, mostly involving all those characters who you never use, as well as the "Star System." The Elements, as much as people hate them, I found to be a refreshing new idea from Square. And it was also ACTUALLY HARD at times, which was a good thing. The soundtrack, story, characters, and gameplay will never be as good as CT's, though. -CSM

LLLUUUCCCCCCAAA!!!

This post has been edited by Crazyswordsman on 5th March 2006 01:57

--------------------
Post #109696
Posted: 3rd March 2006 18:36

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I was impressed by Chrono Trigger in many aspects--soundtrack, graphics, battle system, story, and more. It's not a perfect game, but it worked. Somehow, despite the use of time travel, there weren't too many plotholes and the plot felt coherent.

So far, I've refused to play CC. Not so much that I could, as I never got my hands on a copy and I don't feel like using my compy, and I've only seen it live once. However, the reason I refuse (apart from laziness) is that the developers had to introduce a whole new system of dimensional travel, and then all that crikey, and make this whole new world (or should I say worlds?) of plot/gameplay, and mess with theories of time travel and other weird stuff. That, and
they had to kill off one of my favorite characters from CT (Lucca) and not star the other (Glenn/Frog). And doesn't Magus/Janus not really appear either or something?

So, I recently decided, after discovering the idea of throwing things out of canon according to my own preferences, that, regarding the Chrono series of RPGs, I personally declare anything other than Chrono Trigger to be non-canon--basically meaning, "That didn't happen."

Maybe I'll play CC someday, especially since SaintWeapon noted above that it has Fast Forward Button. That should make it more fun. However, still no fast forward button beats SNES9x's Turbo button (Tab).

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #109703
Posted: 3rd March 2006 20:16

Engineer

Awards:
The only playable CT characters who have legitimate cameos are Lucca and Robo. A couple others have.. cameos.. I guess, but NOT Frog/Glenn or Magus

I really enjoyed CC. Its a fairly fun game, and my first time through it was definitely difficult. My second time through, I realized that it's actually one of the easiest games I've ever played if I structure my elements right. And by right, I mean spam healing magic.

But still, very enjoyable, and I loved the lush character selection, even if I thought the characters themselves were sadly gimmicky. They all had an 'angle' - a character trait that the developers turned into an obnoxious stereotype that they abused into the ground.

• A mushroom man? Let's have mushroom attacks!
  • A dog? What if all the attacks are.. dog themed???
  • Hahaha! A cook! We'll make her/him have cooking attacks!
  • The rockstar should play a guitar attack!
  • I'll let you guess what they do with the wrestler

I mean, seriously. You want to applaud them for their creative effort in coming up with 52 unique characters, but then you hang your head in shame when you realize that all they did was come up with the characters - they never bothered to create personalities, give them substance and feeling, except for the main characters who don't have "themed" attacks (Serge, Kid, Glenn...)

--------------------
Oh sure, I don't have to get kicked in the junk to activate it, but I like it anyway. -- Thief commenting on the difference between Throw and Blue Magic.
Post #109712
Posted: 4th March 2006 22:31

Engineer

Awards:
Chrono Trigger was genius. Near Perfection. Chrono Cross is like the next piece for the genius, not nearly as loved because everyone loves the first one too much to see anything else. Something like that.

I loved CT, and I was almost in tears at CC's supposed crapiness. Then I played completely through it. I have to say, it was...an experience in itself. I'm not big on the 'star leveling' thing, nor do I like the battle system. But the characters were great and some were pretty cool or funny. ZOAH IS BIG! Pierre is wimpy, and Glenn is...Glenn. Though cause there was so many characters, they all really didn't get much development, nor do most of them have something unique to say. But most of them had some sort of style, which is cool.

The thing I like the most was the atmosphere of the game. It's the tropics! Appropriate music, adventure! Feels almost like some hell of an adventure. Sailing! Flying! Robots! It's all good! Some places (Dead Sea for instance) get...for lack of a better word...Freaky. I mean...I've seen dystopic and post-apocalyptic worlds..but that Dead Sea type of freakiness scares the beegeebes out of me. Creepy.

Of course, I complained all the way about a sheer lack of Lucca. What's the point of playing this game if you can't watch her kick a**? (Still plenty of points to play this game, but...)

Something like that.

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #109832
Posted: 2nd April 2009 12:52

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
The music was quality. I really liked how the alternate universe idea stretched into the sound.

My friend is a massive fan, but I don't rate it as highly as other RPGs. I think it suffers from a sort of JRPG syndrome where the characters don't need to be likeable or particularly interesting. I'd rather have Milou from Tintin as my dog than a fat pink panda-like thing. I don't mind having characters like these in games but it must be balanced. For example, FFVII has Cait Sith and the Turks; one extreme to another. CC didn't really provide an alternative to the 'furry'. Instead we got Pierre and Kotch from FFVII with a thong.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #176607
Posted: 2nd April 2009 15:27

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Holy thread revival Batman. Then again, I did recently dig up a thread from 2004 in an LJ community...

I thought the characters themselves were sadly gimmicky. They all had an 'angle' - a character trait that the developers turned into an obnoxious stereotype that they abused into the ground.

Was the game rushed to completion in any way, or did it lack a solid development/concept team?

Then again, Squenix, while high-quality, doesn't always produce a perfect job.

Of course, I complained all the way about a sheer lack of Lucca. What's the point of playing this game if you can't watch her kick a**? (Still plenty of points to play this game, but...)

That still bugs me. In response: http://psiradish.deviantart.com/art/Chrono...04540?offset=10

The music was quality. I really liked how the alternate universe idea stretched into the sound.

Wait...well, don't elaborate on that. Because that seems like an interesting thing, and now you're making me reconsider playing the game just to get this experience.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #176620
Posted: 2nd April 2009 18:16

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 2nd April 2009 10:27)
I thought the characters themselves were sadly gimmicky. They all had an 'angle' - a character trait that the developers turned into an obnoxious stereotype that they abused into the ground.

Was the game rushed to completion in any way, or did it lack a solid development/concept team?

Then again, Squenix, while high-quality, doesn't always produce a perfect job.

Dunno anything about the game being rushed (seems a lot of games are, really), but even without any particular rush, I can't see how Squenix could have possibly fully developed 40 or 50 some odd characters. Definitely one of the weak points of the game.

(Psst, Magus did pretty much everything she could do...but better.)

Wait...well, don't elaborate on that. Because that seems like an interesting thing, and now you're making me reconsider playing the game just to get this experience.

Not sure what sweetdude's talkin' about, but I'm a big of CC's soundtrack, too. CT may have more memorable individual tracks, but the whole soundtrack (along with a single setting) in CC provided it with something that I felt CT never really had, which was a strong constant atmosphere that drew me in. CT, with all it's completely different settings, never quite did that for me (it's certainly harder to immerse yourself in a game where you can get guns and robot arms in a village of cave people).

--------------------
Post #176625
Posted: 2nd April 2009 18:39

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
As far as I remember, when you go from one world to another, some of the music is roughly the same melody but with a different composition.

That's not particularly new. In VI, for example, they reuse Terra's theme and the Figaro theme in the same way. Although I think turning the upbeat Figaro theme into a nostalgic piece was going a little bit too far.

What's particularly impressive in Chrono Cross, though, is that music changes depending on how you've played the game - keeping with the alternative universe idea. My world map music was different from my friend's at the same part of the game. A bit like the beginning sequence when you see a different character each time. This is only based on my experience, so we could possible have got it wrong. I thought other people might have found the same changes on different times they've played it.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #176628
Posted: 2nd April 2009 19:34

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (sweetdude @ 2nd April 2009 14:39)
As far as I remember, when you go from one world to another, some of the music is roughly the same melody but with a different composition.

That's not particularly new. In VI, for example, they reuse Terra's theme and the Figaro theme in the same way. Although I think turning the upbeat Figaro theme into a nostalgic piece was going a little bit too far.

What's particularly impressive in Chrono Cross, though, is that music changes depending on how you've played the game - keeping with the alternative universe idea. My world map music was different from my friend's at the same part of the game. A bit like the beginning sequence when you see a different character each time. This is only based on my experience, so we could possible have got it wrong. I thought other people might have found the same changes on different times they've played it.

If you're talking about leitmotifs, then, yes, I know what you're talking about. I like leitmotifs.

And I actually enjoyed "Coin Song" (despite the silly name). It was one of the more touching scenes and tracks in the game.

As for small changes to the music: that reminds me of games like Super Mario World, where the percussion track would be muted/unmuted depending on whether you were riding Yoshi. I think there are several games with that sort of feature.

I like that feature. It's a nice touch of detail that helps with immersion.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #176632
Posted: 2nd April 2009 20:07

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 2nd April 2009 19:34)
If you're talking about leitmotifs, then, yes, I know what you're talking about.  I like leitmotifs.

Yes the Coin Song is definitely a leitmotif.

Edit
Well, to be fair, the Coin Song is far better than Gau and Relm's theme (oops sorry leitmotif). They sound like something you'd hear while queuing in the Post Office.

Oh and about the leitmotif part. I probably didn't explain myself properly (again). What I meant was 'leitmotif' is an over-the-top, under-necessary word to correct me with, as if 'theme' has left everybody clueless, so I thought it was just like the Coin Song.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 3rd April 2009 17:33

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #176635
Posted: 3rd April 2009 23:43

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Damn, I've always wanted to play Chrono Cross and reading all this makes me want it even more >.<
It sounds pretty damn awesome

--------------------
*Sigh*....Times are tough
Post #176683
Posted: 4th April 2009 21:43

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (sweetdude @ 2nd April 2009 16:07)
Edit
Oh and about the leitmotif part. I probably didn't explain myself properly (again). What I meant was 'leitmotif' is an over-the-top, under-necessary word to correct me with, as if 'theme' has left everybody clueless, so I thought it was just like the Coin Song.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to be over-the-top. I just wanted to make sure I knew what you were talking about, and I thought leitmotif was the most accurate term to describe that.

(Compare the term "nakama" as has been profusely debated at TV tropes, regarding its meaning and whether it can be substituted for "band of brothers", "buddies", "BFFs", "friends", "circle of friends", "second family", etc..)

~~~

Speaking of leitmotifs, though: I noticed that Lucca's theme has been remixed into two new versions in CC: a "spring" version and a "summer" version. Are there any more? And does anyone else (like me) like the spring version more?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #176712
Posted: 5th April 2009 14:02

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
I didn't know the difference between the two so I listened to them on YouTube. I totally agree that 'spring' is the better one. Does anyone know which instrument it's played on?

I've been listening to some of the other tracks and, wow, it's brought back a lot of love for this game. 'Radical Dreamers' has to be the best RPG track with vocals. Having said that, the competition isn't up to much; I mean you 'Eyes on Me' and 'Melodies of Life'.

I remember using Serge's Slice and Dice to kill a knight of some origin. That has to be one of the coolest ways of finishing a battle. The camera sits behind the guard, Serge has a sort of white slipstream around his movement, and the knight gets knocked off his feet in a slow-motion fashion before hitting the deck.

Edit
And one more thing about the Coin Song! I knew there was a good way of describing it but I couldn't remember yesterday... It reminds me of the 'America, Fuck Yeah' song from Team America. Suitably cheesy.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 5th April 2009 17:18

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #176725
Posted: 6th April 2009 00:26

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Quote (Galsic @ 17th February 2006 08:42)
(although Trigger has the better sound track, I think).

About the only bad thing is playing musical chairs with all the elements for half an hour every time you switch characters around tongue.gif

Cross' soundtrack had so many nice songs though! I have about ten that I listen to whenever I just need to relax (in addition to my FFX soundtrack biggrin.gif )

And while I did like the element system, switching it all the time was sometimes one heck of a task!

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #176736
Posted: 6th April 2009 17:45

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (sweetdude @ 5th April 2009 10:02)
I didn't know the difference between the two so I listened to them on YouTube. I totally agree that 'spring' is the better one. Does anyone know which instrument it's played on?

Probably flute and strings, apart from the intro.

As for vocal tracks, I only have the PSF set so I don't have track 101.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #176754
Posted: 11th May 2009 21:33

Engineer

Awards:
The game itself is genius. I mean the replay value is unbelievable because of the amount of characters you can get or not get, so its a different experience every time you play, the setting is tropical and colorful, and above all the story is very intense and interesting. Also the music is great, which should go without saying.

I totally agree with the idea that this game is genius.

--------------------
You Can't Escape...
Nowhere to run...
Nowhere to hide...
Post #177324
Posted: 11th May 2009 21:38

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Perhaps I'm just still stuck on CT, but I didn't care much for CC. I didn't dislike those parts of it I played (another possible reason I don't have much love for it, I didn't finish it to find any resolution), I think I was just expecting something closer to CT.
Post #177326
Posted: 19th May 2009 09:35

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
I love Chrono Cross to death, and that love really blinds my perception of Trigger. While it has a stellar OST, fun world setting, and great themes battered around, the main opposing views -- besides the rather shallow "can't use original cast" claim -- are solid: (1) story's pacing can be crappy at times, especially towards the end when the player swallows some bombshells (2) some characters are uninspired, and it really draws attention to other faults of the 44-man cast, like average dialogue and lack of ally-centric sidequests (3) general lack of difficulty (4) element allocation can be rather "boring".

But man does the game really bring out a joy in me, probably more than any of my favorite titles. The replayability, coupled with the stellar (actually, let's call it peerless) OST, makes it one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #177536
Posted: 25th May 2009 17:32

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoNCAA, 2011. Third place in CoN World Cup, 2010. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2005. 
i agree that CC is damn near perfect. there are SO many underlying themes carried over from CT, it's unbelievable. although the battle system could have been better IMO, the story is absolutely captivating. i think if a gamer can connect CC's themes and characters with those of CT, then the experience of playing the game is much more rewarding.

--------------------

"The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Post #177676
Posted: 20th June 2009 16:36

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Hey guys.

Umm is it illegal to ask here where it is possible to get a rom of Crono cross?

I want to test it,if i like it i might buy it.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #178400
Posted: 20th June 2009 16:39

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 20th June 2009 11:36)
Hey guys.

Umm is it illegal to ask here where it is possible to get a rom of Crono cross?

I want to test it,if i like it i might buy it.

It's illegal.

And PS1 games don't exactly have roms. You generally need to download .iso imagefiles. Go check out an emulation site to learn more.

--------------------
Post #178401
Posted: 6th October 2009 22:41

Returner

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time and I love Chrono Cross, and I'll never understand why Cross gets so much hatred from other Trigger fans. Trigger is definitely the more fun and likeable of the two, but Cross is such a beautiful, moving, deep gaming experience, the two are so different that they're really incomparable, yet the compliment each other so well.

Not that Cross doesn't have some issues, the main one being that it seems rather rushed; not just in that many members of the large cast of characters never get fleshed out or have a real sidequest associated with them, but there are many things plot-wise that get thrown out you that I'm sure were meant to be more developed and explained . I'm pretty sure that the developers ran into some time or money restraints that forced them to wrap everything up, and that the game was intended to be much longer.

According to Misato Kato in the Ultimania guide, he intended to explore the story of Janus and Schala more in Chrono Cross, and there is a letter in the game that Luccia gives to Kid from Lucca that says Janus was around somewhere, but he ran into constraints; and it's widely rumored that Guile was the character intended to be Janus/Magus.

Perhaps had they developed that aspect of the story more, and focused less on a bunch of characters with little to no relation to the plot, more Trigger fans would be amenable to Cross and its place in Chrono canon.

Well, maybe not the whole Lucca and probably Marle and Crono dying thing.
Post #181778
Posted: 7th October 2009 16:35

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (HKPhooey @ 6th October 2009 17:41)
Trigger is definitely the more fun and likeable of the two, but Cross is such a beautiful, moving, deep gaming experience, the two are so different that they're really incomparable, yet the compliment each other so well.

Well said. I look back on Chrono Cross fondly... even though I've never made it through a second playthrough. tongue.gif

I'm wondering if there's a more of a corelation between Xenogears fans and Chrono Cross fans than there is between Chrono Trigger fans and Chrono Cross fans.

--------------------
"Cavefish is delicious, but only if cooked."
Post #181791
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: