CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Football '11-'12

Posted: 25th March 2012 21:59

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Watched the Old Firm today. 3-2 with 3 red cards, standard. Rangers were really good for their win and I reckon they've made a lot of fans happy. I'm still not sure why Stokes doesn't play v Rangers. He started the game but was subbed off after the first red card (20-odd minutes in). I get why Lennon plays Samaras, he's good defending in the air on set pieces. Hooper was injured but Stokes really should've been on for longer. Play Stokes up alone, bring Samaras onto the midfield wing and sub off Wanyama for a defender. (Wanyama's good but needs experience of these games). It was good seeing McCulloch and Wallace playing well. Not all the best Scottish players are in England. smile.gif

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #199849
Posted: 9th April 2012 14:17

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
There are Scottish players in England? Are they in prison?

I kid, I kid. smile.gif

I've been watching more American soccer lately than usual, and I have to admit part of that is because my club is on their best start ever, 100% through five games, without allowing so much as a SOG in the last 245 minutes of play (including Saturday against Los Angeles, who sport Robbie Keane and US national Edson Buddle up top, as well as Landon Donovan and currently injured Beckham in the midfield). Also, for my birthday my wife got me tickets to five games, starting this coming weekend.

In terms of the BPL, it's over. I was never going to be happy with the outcome of this season from day one, and indeed I won't be, but it's absolutely shocking just how poor City have become. I want to say that part of that started when Liverpool knocked them out of the Carling Cup - clearly the Reds broke their spirit, right? smile.gif At this point, I'll just be watching games in the hopes that Newcastle or Arsenal can leave Chelsea out of the UCL, starting with the one that's on as I type this.

I'm catching up on Liverpool's last two league matches on my DVR. I watched most of last weekend's Villa match live and just had to watch the last bit today, and it remains absolutely shocking just how unlucky and unclinical they are in front of goal. There is no reason that they should not still be fighting for a CL spot; there are so many games in which they've been genuinely dominant and just can't put the ball in the net. I've only seen the first twenty minutes of the ridiculous Newcastle match from the week before, but from what I've seen so far, Carroll seems to maybe finally be waking up just a touch (aside from his ridiculous dive in the box).

Even the UCL is bland. The only interesting thing that could happen is that Bayern might yet make the final.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #199981
Posted: 3rd May 2012 16:15

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2011-2012. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. 
I feel like a Bayern-Chelsea final is going to be alot more exciting than if it were El Clasico. I've seen over 5 El Clasico's in the past year, and it gets a little tiring after awhile. Anyway, it's gonna be an interesting final, seeing how both teams' back fours are for the most part, injured or suspended. Hopefully it'll be a huge goalfest!

And it looks like Torres is finally getting his confidence back. Only took a year and a half... Let's see him get back to his old self.

P.S. goal of the season? demba cisse tearing it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fij90mrItMg&feature=related
Post #200213
Posted: 16th May 2012 14:21

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Last Sunday was Mother's Day here in the States, and as such my wife and I traveled to where we grew up and our families live to celebrate her first Mother's Day. Because of that, I not only had a baby to contend with during the last matchday in the BPL, but I also had my parents buzzing about and I was unfamiliar with where each channel was on the TV, so I needed to settle mainly on just one game to watch.

Unwisely, I chose to watch Liverpool until Swansea scored, keeping tabs on the other games only on the browser on my phone. If you're paying attention, you'll know that stopping my viewing after Swansea's goal meant that I missed any connection to the craziest few minutes of soccer since, possibly, ever.

Just yesterday I finally got to watch the City/Rangers match, and, wow. It's really pretty much impossible to explain just how crazy that was to anyone who doesn't understand how European soccer works, and that's a shame - the last half hour of that match puts to shame any do-or-die moment I've ever seen in American sport. Lescott's awful pass to Cisse, Barton's typical-yet-atypical freakout, the massive pressure put on by City leading to first Dzeko's, then Aguero's goals, and let's not forget the side-by-side views from the Etihad and the Stadium of Light as first one Manchester team, then the other, then back to the first had their fingers around the cup.

I'm actually a little breathless just typing about it right now.

All I can hope for now to end this club season is that Munich destroy Chelsea on Saturday. I don't care about Munich one way or another. But I don't want Chelsea in the UCL next year, and I don't want to see Torres or Miereles' hands around that cup, to say nothing of the rest of them.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #200289
Posted: 19th May 2012 21:33

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
And just when I thought that the club football season couldn't get any more disappointing, it went and did so. I just had to turn off the television, I can't bear to see Chelsea getting winners' medals.

Is it September yet? Maybe at least Sporting Kansas City can turn their recent poor form around later this evening.

--------------------

Post #200314
Posted: 26th May 2012 22:42

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 19th May 2012 22:33)
And just when I thought that the club football season couldn't get any more disappointing, it went and did so. I just had to turn off the television, I can't bear to see Chelsea getting winners' medals.

Is it September yet? Maybe at least Sporting Kansas City can turn their recent poor form around later this evening.

If it was possible to like this post, by God I would. I was also hoping that Blackpool would beat West Ham for promotion (because I love seeing Ian Holloway give interviews), so that Saturday was even more disappointing for me.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #200343
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: