CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Are you older guys still interested in the ff?

Posted: 5th October 2015 17:57

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Are all of you older folks here really still interested in the ff series, and how so? It seems like the older one gets, the less interested in the new ones I become due to how young and childish characters become.

Seems like a lot of us are pretty ancient.I just saw one person on this forum which age indicated 41, another in their 50s, unless they are lying about their age, and aren't really that old.

As one becomes older, it also becomes harder to relate to the younger audience because of how much has changed, and how little one has in common with the newer audience.

Anyone getting this vibe?

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209667
Posted: 5th October 2015 19:21

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I'm a little older than you according to your profile, and I'm just fine with the newer FFs. The 13 series has been the most fun I personally have had with a Final Fantasy since the first time I played Tactics.

You just can't draw global conclusions based on anecdotes. I can speak for myself insomuch that I enjoyed 13 and am looking forward to getting a crack at Type-0 and XV, and I have several friends of my general age who feel the same, but that doesn't make it absolute.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #209669
Posted: 5th October 2015 20:46

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
You are only a few months older, and it's barely noticeable experience.We just have different outlooks on things.I wasn't suggesting it being the games fault.

I have also seen some state that once they were in their 20s or more, that they didn't relate to teens anymore because they were at that age, and it was cool then, but now they see it as childish.

Not saying it's the games fault, but rather that we have matured and changed.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 5th October 2015 20:53

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209670
Posted: 5th October 2015 21:14

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
What has changed for me from the older to the newer Final Fantasy games is the cut scene heavy aspects of the games. For me, 13 was less a video game than a FMV with video game elements to it. This is fine for some people, but for me, I just want to play. I want to add my own personality to the character rather than being forced to watch personalities develop on their own.

Forgive me for the somewhat adult nature to this analogy, but for me, the difference is a swimsuit issue for a sports magazine versus a nude spread. One leaves something to the imagination, the other leaves nothing,.

I'm being told how to act, what to think, where to go, etc. Every scene is the same, every reaction is the same. There's no avoiding it. This is often fine for one playthrough, but the story had better be stellar, or you'll never catch me picking up the game ever again.

For me, for a myriad of reasons, the later FF games tend to have subpar storytelling, and that drives me away from showing enthusiasm for any subsequent games.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #209671
Posted: 5th October 2015 21:42

Crusader

Awards:
Good post and thanks for posting.I encourage more to post and tell me their feelings about this topic.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209672
Posted: 5th October 2015 23:05

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I, too, don't like how newer games in general -- and the Final Fantasy games aren't exactly an exception to this -- have put much more emphasis on looking like movies.

At least for me these days I feel that I'm used to certain control schemes and interface schemes and it just feels more inviting to toy with and then subsequently get into a game that has one of those more traditionally "gamey" interfaces rather than to pick up what I have marked in my mind as an 80-hour blockbuster if only I can get through all the cutscenes.

That, and the price tags on some of these more recent games don't help. Sure, the older games were priced comparably in nominal price and perhaps even more expensive in real price (i.e. adjusting for inflation), but (1) those are sunk costs, and (2) they were either paid by parents or other family members or they were never paid and people emulated the games, so we never felt that pain ourselves either way.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209675
Posted: 6th October 2015 00:11

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
From Final Fantasy I-VI, the progression of the series was smooth and flowing. Everything became streamlined beautifully in IV with the ATB system. It was a testament to form and function existing harmoniously with each other.

V and VI kept the ATB system, but each consecutively sped it up a bit. The focus was on making things faster, more streamlined, and simpler to get into.

Then along comes VII with it's super-long battle animations and plodding storyline (however good, in my opinion it's paced horribly). It wasn't, at its heart, a much different game from VI, retaining a similar look and feel and frankly, color palette. The depth of the shades possible were greater, but the same types of colors are used, browns and greens for the enemy, blues and reds for the heroes.

VII slowed the game down in favor of making it more cinematic, and it's truthfully quite an epic experience. But one has to wonder how far that particular type of game can be taken before it becomes expected that the typical "trappings" of the medium start to show.

If they made a game like Final Fantasy VI again, and focused on making the gameplay and storyline both properly paced, then that'd be something to talk about, in my opinion.

But they seem intent on running the "FFVII" archetype into the ground, because that's what they're hearing that fans want.

Fans can be really irrational about things when they have rose-tinted memories of this story being their introduction to FF, and who can blame them? It's an achingly beautiful narrative, but it doesn't have the legs FFVI did. But they'd never know that.

The problem is that there are more people who owned a Playstation without first having owned a Super NES, and played FFVII first, on their first game system. There are a lot of them. Like, a lot of these people. Like, a whole lot of them. 3 million of them or something. What were the launch quarter figures like for FFVII? I don't remember, and don't feel like looking it up. But there are a lot of Final Fantasy VII fans, and to wit: they ain't wrong. It's a really good game.

It just doesn't have the tight, consistent design and speed of the Super NES games. I, for one, favor speed and tight, consistent design over theatrics and emotionality, but I am in the minority, I believe.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #209677
Posted: 6th October 2015 11:38

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
My interest in the series definitely cooled off at some point, probably around FFXII's heyday. All the spinoffs and such didn't exactly pique my interest either. Hell, FFXV wasn't even a blip on my radar until I saw the Ramuh video -- now that was an instant about-face. Might even pick up the FF7 Remake after a bit more info's released (never was my favorite, but the project ain't lacking for potential).

PS: I wasn't actually born in 1907. Probably.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #209679
Posted: 6th October 2015 14:19

Crusader

Awards:
Hi shotgunnova thanks for posting.

I liked saga series on ds, and the ff4 remake and the chrono trigger version.Those aren't new, but it's still good.

I would like to say too:I know it isn't the game itself, but me who changed.I still don't like shooters, and won't play them.I might look into ff type zero and XII, as long as the characters aren't annoying.I think I even grew to like real time combat more.Playing secret of evermore, and other games where enemies appear on the map was a good idea.Sometimes random encounters are invasive, and it feels like someone is covering your eyes for 3 minutes and say Nyah Nyah, random encounter every 2 steps.Those are the ones which really annoy me.I think that lost odyssey is an exception, since I like it quit a bit.I also like the idea of creating scripts to make characters do things in combat in real time.

Maybe ff type 0 will be good, who knows.Is that the one of the guy in the car by the way?

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209681
Posted: 6th October 2015 18:55

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Shotgunnova @ 6th October 2015 06:38)
My interest in the series definitely cooled off at some point, probably around FFXII's heyday. All the spinoffs and such didn't exactly pique my interest either. Hell, FFXV wasn't even a blip on my radar until I saw the Ramuh video -- now that was an instant about-face. Might even pick up the FF7 Remake after a bit more info's released (never was my favorite, but the project ain't lacking for potential).

PS: I wasn't actually born in 1907. Probably.

Ironically I actually feel somewhat more interested in FFXII and FFXIII than FFX.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 6th October 2015 18:56

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209685
Posted: 7th October 2015 08:19

Crusader

Awards:
And what can you tell me about why you are disinterested in FFX

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209688
Posted: 7th October 2015 22:47

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
My biggest limitation to my interest in the FF series right now is money. I never had to money to afford the next gen consoles or games for that matter and my interest in FF took a serious hit after I played that pile of trash FFXII. Literally every single character in that game pissed me off and it was just not fun or engaging.

But now that I think of it, I've had my PS3 for a few years now and haven't even picked up FFX/X-2 HD collection even though I loved both, especially FFX. All I heard about FFXIII was that it sucked so I never even bothered and theres what like, 3 of them? Great on them for having a Female protagonist game or two again finally, though.

But what R51 said about them has now interested me, as well as what GMH had to say, even though they have opposite opinions of the game. I LOVED MGS4. And that was essentially a movie that let you play commando in between scenes (and honestly, most of the series is long-winded cut-scenes and dialogue). So FFXIII being more cinematic wouldn't really bother me.

But I go back and play the old ones all the time. Since I first played FFVIII, I have played through it at least once a year and that game came out in what 1998? [ Jesus...Can't believe FFVII and FFVIII are almost 20 years old. ] I also played FFVII again not too long ago, started a new FFIIIj, FFIV and FFVI game within the past few months too. And I binge on FFT about once a year too.

And while the FFVII remake has piked my interest, FFXV hasn't and I absolutely loathe the main character's look, which has never been an issue with the past games for me.

If I get next-gen again, I'll pick up FFXIV and the FFVII remake at some point if I can.

I do have a 3DS now though and I briefly played Bravely Default, which was a super-cute game with a battle system that I found to be a fresh take, even though it isn't a true FF it of course is along the lines of FF.

--------------------
Post #209701
Posted: 8th October 2015 15:09

Crusader

Awards:
What do you like more? FFX or FFX-2?

I heard good things about FFX2, like the job system, but I heard it has blatant fanservice.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209711
Posted: 9th October 2015 20:06

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 7th October 2015 03:19)

Nothing about it really inspires me to want to play it.

The story sounds like some standard convoluted fantasy story.

The artwork is probably decent, but the presentation seems to be the awfully cinematic style that's been the standard for console RPGs for the past decade or so, a style that I don't like, because it actually makes me feel less immersed. Also there's the character designs...which I can criticize in two words: Lulu's belts.

The gameplay is turn-based random battles. So you are running through these lushly designed 3D environments just to be stopped randomly, with no visual pre-indication whatsoever, only to be thrown into a random battle. And then the animations take too long. Heck, even the battle swirl takes too long.

The one thing that has potentially interested me is the music, and I haven't run across enough music that I've fallen in love with to make me want to play the game.

It's probably not a bad game. But I don't feel I have a reason to go and play it.

(Also, you want "uninterested"; "disinterested" means "fair and with no bias or special interests".)

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 9th October 2015 20:08

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #209714
Posted: 10th October 2015 11:52

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 9th October 2015 20:06)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 7th October 2015 03:19)

Nothing about it really inspires me to want to play it.

The story sounds like some standard convoluted fantasy story.

The artwork is probably decent, but the presentation seems to be the awfully cinematic style that's been the standard for console RPGs for the past decade or so, a style that I don't like, because it actually makes me feel less immersed. Also there's the character designs...which I can criticize in two words: Lulu's belts.

The gameplay is turn-based random battles. So you are running through these lushly designed 3D environments just to be stopped randomly, with no visual pre-indication whatsoever, only to be thrown into a random battle. And then the animations take too long. Heck, even the battle swirl takes too long.

The one thing that has potentially interested me is the music, and I haven't run across enough music that I've fallen in love with to make me want to play the game.

It's probably not a bad game. But I don't feel I have a reason to go and play it.

(Also, you want "uninterested"; "disinterested" means "fair and with no bias or special interests".)

Talking about artwork:The enemies are cheap color palette swaps, being the same enemies over and over. Only the extra dungeon changes.

I don't remember ever being impressed with The background though.

Some ideas of the stories was interesting.I like the idea of how people deal with massacres from sin.It would be like going to the Philippines or one of those coastal areas, and witnessing a tsunami and the effect and devastation and misery it causes, and they do give you an idea that the people are suffering.Its just that a few characters rikku Wakka, lulu and especially kimahri, are token characters.Tidus aside from the thing where he hates his father, is not too interesting.I do like jecht though, yuna, auron and yunas father.
We see more about jecht in personality than tidus.For instance:Jecht was in prison and after he became a bodyguard to braska, he was noticeably more noble to the cause and willing to sacrifice.He loved Tidus, but wanted him to be tougher.Jecht is more of your typical father who wants their son to be a famous football player or something.

Some of the cutscenes are ok, but some feel wasted due team seeing like they are thrown at us after a long drawn out cutscene with talking.I admit, I felt legitimately sad when jecht died, and I didn't react this way when Tidus disappeared.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209717
Posted: 11th October 2015 01:36

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I actually went out and picked up a copy of 10 today. I've never played it due to its numerous rabid fans shying me away from it, but I'm going to give it a chance. Years late and an odd reason for not playing, I know, but we all have our oddities. So far it's been interesting enough, though the lack of facial expressions for the most part is disturbing. Limits of the system, I suppose. I guess my unpopular opinion about it so far is that I really don't like Lulu as a character. I know she's a favorite in the 10 fan community, outside of being a sex-symbol, but I just don't like her personality. Hopefully this will change soon and I'll end up enjoying the game in its entirety.

This post has been edited by St Khael on 11th October 2015 01:36

--------------------
Check out the Magicite Menagerie!

Retro gaming cosplayer with a focus on Terra Branford.
Post #209720
Posted: 11th October 2015 10:30

Crusader

Awards:
Don't worry I don't like her much either.

For some reason, tuna jecht and yunas father are the only ones I truly liked.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209721
Posted: 13th October 2015 10:41

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
My post might seem offensive but bare with me.

The issue of the Final Fantasy Series not catching on with older and younger crowds is not they've completely moved on but rather the series has been hijacked by mulitple failed Games Developers who couldn't start their own game series or they have and it tanked so what they started during around the year 2001 was they took over major franchises and coverted them into their own failed gaming franchise.

I've often modeled FF12's director as Heart-Attack Man after The Stand's Trashcan man. Heart Attack Man did make a good game once which was Final Fantasy Tactics but when he got his hands on the actual numbered series his own team bullied and caused huge amounts of problems for the remaining Final Fantasy Staff and created an us vs them mentality. He also decided to make ff12 all about him and his creation and announced his world of his past games are all connected. They highly good reviewed Vagrant Story was loved by the critics but had underwhelming sales numbers as most normal people had issues with the difficulty of Vagrant Story.

Zipperman was next his own vanity helped sink the series even further with his boring action centric game based on his own universe. Also he spent a half a decade trying to convince us without suceeding Lightening was the second coming.

To put it simply Square or rather Japan allowed really bad Japanese Directors to keep directing and running long standing franchises into the ground. Also before the year 2000 Western RPGs we're often ignored as they were action focused and forced a 1st person prospective. As Japan kept producing inferior products the west started focusing on what customers really want.

15 years later the West... Bioware most famously helms of major franchises have been changed with directors not focusing on what customers want but rather to push a social agenda.

Japan is changing again TANKA the horrible known for the horrid FF11 and the original FF14 was given the office with the window and no work so he could quit.

The other FF14 head who believed you should pay 15 monthly and get penalized for playing more than a couple hours a day, fired.

Zipperman officially kicked off ff15

Heart Attack Man no one trusts him anymore and has announced he never meant for his special world to be connected with ff12! He tried to kickstart a game using his 'gaming series' that failed as well

Even that guy who ran Square based on a fortune tellers tellings is out.

It's not because we are getting older it's because Square or rather Japan have put out crap games for 15 years. It used to be there was tons of Final Fantasy fansites the amount was crazy but it wasn't until the underwhelming ff12 came out this trend stopped and people stopped flooding into Final Fantasy sites.

This post has been edited by His Shadow on 13th October 2015 10:45

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #209726
Posted: 13th October 2015 21:05

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (His Shadow @ 13th October 2015 05:41)
My post might seem offensive but bare with me.

It's not because we are getting older it's because Square or rather Japan have put out crap games for 15 years. 

TL;DR version

But seriously this just about nails it.

--------------------
Post #209733
Posted: 7th October 2016 22:01

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (His Shadow @ 13th October 2015 04:41)
It used to be there was tons of Final Fantasy fansites the amount was crazy but it wasn't until the underwhelming ff12 came out this trend stopped and people stopped flooding into Final Fantasy sites.

As someone who still runs one of those things, Final Fantasy XII was not the reason there aren't new ones any more.

Beyond that, I don't have much to add beyond my brief first post. I'd be interested to see how XV sells among different age groups, but I doubt we'll ever find out. I know more gamers in my age group who enjoyed the 13 series, and who are planning to buy XV, than those who did not, but naturally that means absolutely nothing other than the fact that I have a couple friends.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #211567
Posted: 9th October 2016 14:46

Crusader

Awards:
I thought some people liked FFXII?

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211568
Posted: 10th October 2016 18:27
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
user posted image

Yeah, I've pretty much been outta the series entire since...well VII honestly. IX was this brief respite from VIII and the true bollocks to come. XII almost got me back in, because instead of being standard animoo trash, the characters were just normal trash, which...y'know...baby steps. But then XIII doubled backed down hard on pink hair and lesbian incest mech bikes and while I can certainly be entertained by those concepts, I can't take it seriously let alone be invested in the resulting drama.

To put in more concise terms, I stopped caring about Final Fantasy once it was given to this man:

user posted image

The game's prior were no less derivative, but they were derivative of tropes I have more respect for. And let's be honest, nostalgia probably plays a factor as well.

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 13th October 2016 23:33

--------------------
Post #211569
Posted: 17th October 2016 04:19

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
His Shadow has nailed it on the head. I've given Squares more recent games honest chances and I don't dislike any of them but I certainly don't love any of them either.

I cared about Vaan for about the first hour of 12 but after that the plot got meh.
However, 3 things about that game pulled me in and made me want to keep playing:
1) The Bestiary: The option to complete this if you want to to learn more about the monsters and lore of the world was a fantastic idea and I wish this would have stayed around in future games.
2) Obtaining the Espers. Each Esper's appearance, their music, the fight. These guys demanded my respect and got it. I didn't like actually using them but the thrill I got from their Boss fights made me want more.
3) Similar to 2. I loved the hunts (marks or whatever you want to call them). There where some boring ones but there where some good ones. (GILGAMESH!!!!)

As for 13. I never ever cared about the plot nor most of the characters. I did like Saz and I suppose I kinda liked or at least didn't dislike Snow and Fang but gosh dang it did I think Lightning and Vaniel where annoying in the beginning and I freaking hated Hope. The early game sucked after the little woo I felt from the beginning wore off and I despise how the Eidolon fights devolved into the ridiculous bs fights that you got. The mid to late game had a couple interesting boss fights but sucked as well.
The end game is where all my fond memories of this game came in:
Screwing around on grand pulse doing cieth stone missions.
Getting good at wrecking Long Gui.
Fighting the Undying.
And the fight with Atticus (he was so fun to fight I gave him his own line. This boss fight was my favorite fight of this game. I WOULD play this again just to fight this guy)
Atticus is literally the only thing that makes me ever want to play 13 again.
The way they've handled the 13 universe never interested me to the point that seeing my bro and buddy both play 13-2 and 13-3 actually made me not want to play them. The plots are just kinda weird and uninteresting and I give little to no craps for the characters that the game focuses on now.

(I'm not including games Square has their name on just because they are the publishers over the developers that make them like Tomb Raider, Thief, and Deux Ex this because I feel square lets the developers that make those games still do their thing, they just publish the games and that is it which does NOT make them a game Square Enix made)

I am holding out for that game that woo's me and makes me not want to put it down from them again. Unfortunatly, it's looking as if Square is only good for publishing games nowadays. I'll cross my fingers for 15 but, if that fails, I'm betting it'll be awhile before that happens.

If anyones curious. The last games I played recently (within the last 2 years) that woo'd me and I could not stop playing where:
The Last of Us (Or just about any Naughty Dog game really)
Tales of Graces f
Tales of Xillia
Terraria
Stardew Valley

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 17th October 2016 04:23

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211575
Posted: 17th October 2016 04:58

Black Waltz

Awards:
Ok, I'll bite. I'm 35 this month, and I guess that qualifies me as an early adopter, because I've been playing FF since the first one hit stateside.

The answer is no. I am no longer interested in Final Fantasy. The development of the games has skewed away from constructing decent stories (Something the original 9 games actually never did master, in my opinion) into creating sex icons out of its characters (not a huge problem, I guess, but not true to the series' roots) and becoming a matter of "all flash, no substance" (a huge problem).

The 10+ year dev cycle for FF15 is a symptom of this huge problem. You cannot tell me it has taken 10 years (since FFXIII Versus started development, and then transformed into 15) to make sure that this story is satisfying and well-produced and executed by the director/cast/crew. That kind of thing does not take 10 years.

I fully expect that the 10 years have been spent squeezing more and more graphical power out of the hardware that was currently being worked on/converting the graphical assets to whatever new hardware they changed to. I'm assuming this was originally meant for an older-gen console than it is being released on, I might be wrong.

Anyway, spending 10 years getting the look of your game right? I do not think that is going to produce anything interesting, and it probably has had a detrimental effect on the other aspects of the game, the story, the gameplay. I feel that this is the end of the Final Fantasy era, because when a game has been in dev for this long, and spent this much money...I'm just going to call it, the game will never, ever, meet sales projections. It will fall well, well short.

No amount of hype in the world is going to save FF now, and I frankly just can't be bothered to care about it. I have a life, rent to pay, hours to work, and plenty of older and better-designed FF games to play. I'm really not even that interested in the FF7 remake, either, because that's likely going to take until I am 50.

Farewell to thee, Square Enix. We hardly knew ye.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #211576
Posted: 19th October 2016 18:15

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Spooniest @ 16th October 2016 22:58)
The 10+ year dev cycle for FF15 is a symptom of this huge problem. You cannot tell me it has taken 10 years (since FFXIII Versus started development, and then transformed into 15) to make sure that this story is satisfying and well-produced and executed by the director/cast/crew. That kind of thing does not take 10 years.

This isn't exactly true.
Gaming Mysteries: Final Fantasy XV Beta and Development
Pretty much staff kept getting pulled from versus XIII to work on XIII, then XIV, then the revelation that XIII's engine can't handle versus XIII's needs so a new one would need to be made/uses. (I love how it's clear that square thought XIII would be such a vastly superior game for most of versus XIII's development)
There are some things brought up that give me hope for this game:
1) The creator himself didn't have much if anything to do with XIII and was actually trying to make the game vastly different than XIII even back when XIII was still getting made.
2) This games team was the one responsible for making XIV successful after the first team failed miserably at making that game.
3) Square wasn't money hungry enough to hold this game back so it'd work on XBOX360 and PS3. Possibly allowing this game to be even better.
4) That most of this games delay wasn't because they couldn't nail this development down but that it kept getting shelved due to their other development teams not being able to handle their projects so they kept pulling people from this games development to help them. (Telling me their good developers are on this game)

Bonus info: Did you guys know that Square has it's teams split into 12 divisions?
Square Enix's 12 Divisions

I think this game has a chance to be good but so did XIII. As I've said. I'm giving it a chance but I'm not holding my breath. I do REALLY hope to be blown away by this game but won't be surprised if I'm not.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211579
Posted: 22nd October 2016 10:23

Crusader

Awards:
I hate to say this, but it started with ff7 having convoluted story in some parts and execution, then ff8.

FF8 is where it really got bad.
Then we get ff9 a good game with interesting vibrant fantasy colors.
Then FFX back to sci fi game with little fantasy.

See:Thing is, FFX was actually the worse of the first 10 but not worse than XIII.I can deal with 2 kinda sucking, because its the second ff and it is extremely old now.FF3 is also extremely old.

FFX on the other hand:

Using same music repeated just changd up a little, like to zanarkand guitar version.

Pastels of old monsters:I know ff4 did this, but ff4 is 25 years old now.Back then, they had limited room.Why does FFX not have new monsters? even FFXIII did a better job, even FF9.

Mini games:Not that bad except maybe dodging lightning not being too fun nor that butterfly game.Actually:I prefer ff7's golden saucer mini games over any of FFX's mini games.For that matter:the mini games shouldn't be important and less should be put in on the mini games and more should be put on the actual story and characters to make them more compelling.

Same story, or similar story over and over:

One problem i think final fantasy has:Is you have a lot of the same kind of boring trope characters.I personally don't think any FFX char was truly compelling.I don't find most FF8 characters compelling either.Most were for humorous moments, like selphie banging on the controls to turn off the power on disk 2 to stop the missle attack.

Square enix needs the guys from lost oddyssey again to make a compelling story and character, because at least seth and kaim are very much compelling, and it was kept simple, something some players are afraid of.What is wrong with simplicity? I would rather have a simple yet well executed story over a over complicated convoluted story.

It is all these reasons why i think american game designers are succeeding over japan.A lot of game designers aren't willing to change, like square enix and change is pivotal.

Second is because you have these young teens saving the world type plot always the same type of characters.Now it doesn't mean a young teen cannot be interesting, its just that we need something different from the other final fantasies to feel like we aren't just playing the same game over and over again.

Lastly:I agree with spoony of style over substance, but i believe it started with ff7.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 22nd October 2016 10:24

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211584
Posted: 3rd August 2017 21:23

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I haven't played through a new FF game since FFX, and there are a few reasons for that:

1) I'm significantly busier (between graduate school work and teaching responsibilities) now than I was when last I played.

2) Because I have an obsessive personality, I gave away my PS2 a decade ago to focus on getting my BA, and since I'm still super busy going for a PhD, I haven't bothered to reinvest in video game systems that I'd probably only use for a couple games that aren't about things I'm really interested in:

3) I'm not particularly interested in FF in a contemporary setting. I grew up on Dungeons & Dragons and FF (and still regularly play D&D), and FF doesn't really dive into those tropes anymore (let alone in interesting ways).*

*I know that the MMO-FF's actually do still traffic in those tropes, and I'm happy about that, but the aforementioned obsessive personality prevents me from diving into those.
Post #213107
Posted: 3rd August 2017 21:46

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I came late to the Final Fantasy franchise. I was in my late 20s when I played my first FF game, which was FFX. I loved it. I then went back and played all the other games in the main series. With the exception of XIV and XV, I've played them all, and intend to play those two once I have some money to spare.

My initial impression of XIII's trailer was not good, so I was pleasantly surprised when I ended up enjoying the game. It's got its flaws (there's a reason I call it "Corridor Fantasy") but on the most part it's pretty solid. I liked XIII-2 even more. I couldn't get into Lightning Returns, though, but I intend to give that another chance one of these days.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, which I love to pieces. It is a bit derivative of other FF games - crystals to save, anyone? - but I really love the characters. Lasswell's my favorite, by far. wub.gif The characters are supposed to be pretty young, but I still find them relatable just fine.

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy XVI
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV MSQ & Side Quests
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #213110
Posted: 19th August 2017 21:44

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I still love Final Fantasy, and I'm 35. It's a comforting series, in a way. I have FF music on my ipod shuffle that I listen to at work. I recently played World of Final Fantasy, and before that, FFXV.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #213262
Posted: 21st August 2017 04:59

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I should revisit FF sometime.

I haven't actually played an FF game in many, many years. FF4 I played around 2002-ish, FF6 around 2003, FF5 around 2004-2005, and FF7, FF3, and FFTA, and FF1 I played part of around that same time. I've seen FF: the Spirits Within twice, first time around then, once more a couple years ago or so.

I've also messed with FF Legend (which was technically my first or second exposure to an FF game, since a friend played it at school), FF Adventure, FFT, FF4a, and FF: the Four Heroes of Light. And a few years ago I finally bought a PS1 copy of FFT (specifically the first version, even, I think). And at some point I started playing i90east's FF6 hardtype hack.

Right now though the FF that's most on my radar FF13, since it's available for PC and on my Steam wishlist. But who knows when I'll get around to it.

For some reason, the other FF games don't really interest me much? I've heard praise for Bravely Default, and I was also early-on interested in FF15 thanks to a good trailer, though apparently it came out a bit meh?

Aside from starting with Super Mario RPG and also picking up Pokémon, FF was the bulk of my introduction to the traditional JRPG genre (and I never quite got much into Dragon Quest either, for what it's worth), but it seems I've since moved onto other JRPGs. Falcom has sorta supplanted Squenix as my go-to place for a good JRPG (with traditional JRPG series Legend of Heroes / Trails and action JRPG series Ys), while Banpresto's/Flight-Plan's Summon Night series has piqued my interest a bit, and I'm starting to get into BaNamco's Tales franchise and Gust's Atelier franchise. I also played an assortment of other JRPGs, from the DS games Nostalgia and A Witch's Tale to the SFam fan-translated Energy Breaker to the SNES staples Earthbound and Lufia 2 to the now-quite-big-in-the-west Fire Emblem series to the PC games Eternal Senia and Millennium. Been playing Jeanne d'Arc too. I've picked up some assortment of things I plan on getting into, including the PC games Helen's Mysterious Castle, Demon King Chronicles, LiEat, and Rime Berta; and the fan-translated games Magical Vacation (Magical Starsign's predecessor), Eternal Filena, and Emerald Dragon. Probably the two most prominent JRPG franchises I basically haven't touched on so far are the SMT/Persona franchise and the Phantasy Star franchise.

So in short FF introduced me to JRPGs but then I went off and did my own thing rather than staying loyal to the FF franchise, for whatever reason.

Edit
Hey guess what: Today is i90east's birthday.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 21st August 2017 05:15

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #213267
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: