CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Just how borked is the NES version?

Posted: 25th November 2014 15:03

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
The Final Fantasy WikiThe Final Fantasy Wiki has a list of the bugs in Final Fantasy I (Ignore the screenshotted stuff, it's the list of hotlinks below it).

I know that most, if not all elemental weaknesses do not function as they are supposed to, but I wasn't aware that Intelligence isn't factored into Healing magic at all (though I do realize it's quite correct, now that I know).

I also didn't know that a weapon's critical hit rate seems entirely based on when you get it in the game. Hm.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #207775
Posted: 30th October 2015 20:55
Returner

There are a lot of bugs in the original NES version, many of them deleterious. In addition to the weapon oddities you mentioned:

- The INT stat effects nothing. It is never relevant.
- The following spells are non-functional: LOCK, TMPR, SABR, and XFER
- The spell LOK2 actually helps the enemy
- Enemies always wake from sleep.

- The LUCK stat does not effect the chances of running away.
- Be sure to unequip and re-equip your unarmed Black Belt's armor after each level-up.
- Black Belts have much higher magic defense growth than Masters; consider not class-changing your Black Belt.

The Thief/Ninja class is hit especially hard by the bugs. It's special advantages are supposed be much easier running (would be nice, for example, for looting the Marsh Cave early) and access to high-crit weapons. But running is bugged and all the end-game weapons are high-crit. At least the Ninja gets FAST.

- The Peninsula North East of Pravoka, at its northern tip, contains much more powerful enemies, allowing the possibility of early power-leveling.
Post #209768
Posted: 5th December 2015 15:12

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Anexu @ 30th October 2015 20:55)
There are a lot of bugs in the original NES version, many of them deleterious. In addition to the weapon oddities you mentioned:

- The INT stat effects nothing. It is never relevant.
- The following spells are non-functional: LOCK, TMPR, SABR, and XFER
- The spell LOK2 actually helps the enemy
- Enemies always wake from sleep.

- The LUCK stat does not effect the chances of running away.
- Be sure to unequip and re-equip your unarmed Black Belt's armor after each level-up.
- Black Belts have much higher magic defense growth than Masters; consider not class-changing your Black Belt.

The Thief/Ninja class is hit especially hard by the bugs. It's special advantages are supposed be much easier running (would be nice, for example, for looting the Marsh Cave early) and access to high-crit weapons. But running is bugged and all the end-game weapons are high-crit. At least the Ninja gets FAST.

- The Peninsula North East of Pravoka, at its northern tip, contains much more powerful enemies, allowing the possibility of early power-leveling.

There is also that bug which you select an enemy and if it dies before your turn, you hit the empty area and miss

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209979
Posted: 5th December 2015 16:39

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 5th December 2015 10:12)
There is also that bug which you select an enemy and if it dies before your turn, you hit the empty area and miss

That could arguably be seen as a feature that increases the strategic difficulty, to be honest.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209980
Posted: 5th December 2015 17:13

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 5th December 2015 18:39)

That could arguably be seen as a feature that increases the strategic difficulty, to be honest.

Of course in later versions of the game, the feature to miss selected targets who are K.O.'d can be disabled or enabled, and in more later versions its disabled and can't be changed.

I tried getting into Final Fantasy I on the NES, but I couldn't keep playing especially after I got the Origins version.

--------------------
I am Exdeath. Step aside pesky clowns, or your warranty is Void!
Post #209982
Posted: 5th December 2015 17:52

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 5th December 2015 16:39)

Wasn't that fixed in the gbc version?

I could understand fixing it too since it would waste a turn.There isn't much strategy though in ff1 for the nes and gbc.

Il tell you one thing:Ruse is incredibly useful for those red wizard/White wizard runs.With 3 ruses you can survive almost anything.Going to kill zombie trolls? 3-4 ruse and you will avoid 99% of all hits.Its just too good to say no to with 4 white wizard runs, and I did it without cheating and won.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 5th December 2015 17:55

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209983
Posted: 8th December 2015 09:13

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Well. It sounds like an NES game alright.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #210007
Posted: 10th December 2016 12:44

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 5th December 2015 13:52)
Wasn't that fixed in the gbc version?

I could understand fixing it too since it would waste a turn.There isn't much strategy though in ff1 for the nes and gbc.

Yes, it was "fixed"; the gap in difficulty between the NES version and the GBA version make it look like the "problems/bugs" with the NES version were entirely intentional

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #211724
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: