CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Most difficult way to beat the game??????

Posted: 22nd December 2010 20:12
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
so im 22 an havent played ff7 in like 4 years but recently in the past week i have really been craving it really bad, downloaded the entire soundtrack an put it on my zune...Anyways i ordered a brand new copy for 150$$ off of ebay..it hasn't arrived just yet but, im looking for the hardest way to beat the game, i've done it without no magic materia, but thats it ...Anyone know of any harder ways?
Post #191426
Posted: 22nd December 2010 20:27
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
There are 1000s of different ways to increase the difficulty.

You could keep the original weapons.

You could only fight "required" fights.

Armorless ... materialess ... etc.

You could keep at least one character permanently dead.

The list could go on and on.

On a side note, $150 is a bit steep I think for FF7. I see them on Ebay all the time for like $20-30 for a full set. Now it may not be "brand new" but its close. And Im guessing you are planning on opening it so once you get it, it wont be brand new anyhow. Before you open it, may consider reselling the unopened one and get you a cheaper copy. Just saying. smile.gif

Moderator Edit
I suggest AmaCoN, personally! See? -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 22nd December 2010 23:35
Post #191427
Posted: 23rd December 2010 03:37

Returner

Not using any materia can be pretty hard especially if it's your first play through.
Post #191442
Posted: 23rd December 2010 04:21

Behemoth

Awards:
Yeah, no materia, and speed run it. Keep the levels low. That's what I guess makes any RPG difficult. You could also keep the Slow status effect on all characters, lowering the limit breaks. Oh, and keep the limit breaks on level 1.

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 23rd December 2010 04:22

--------------------
Post #191446
Posted: 23rd December 2010 05:35

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
...Well, someone's doing their part to keep the economy going, I guess?

As for how to make the game very difficult:
* starting or required equipment only
* low-level
** use lowest-level characters whenever possible.
* no materia combos (such as attaching All to Fire)
* no buying items, equipment, or materia (live off the land)
* bonus condition: You must cause every music track to play at least once, during your playthrough. (You don't have to wait for them to finish at least one loop each, but you can if you want.) So, for example, this means that you must TPK (total party kill) at least once in order to get the game over music.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #191453
Posted: 24th December 2010 16:27

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I think Aeris-Logan is right, there are probably 1000s of ways to increase difficulty.

If you want to appreciate more parts of the game, do what GMH says and only use what you find or steal, don't buy anything. Also you could deny yourself any healing. This means every forgettable Inn and bed is your only means of staying alive. It opens up that part of the game that you might overlook. For whatever reason I found the game a lot more realistic and fun when playing it with those two requirements.

The biggest challenge I know is to play the game through without saving once. The challenge and fun doesn't really need much explaining. If you want to do what I think is the ultimate possible challenge, no saving and complete the game in under 12 hours, you'll need to have played through a few regular speed runs to get the flow of the game. It's very rewarding. Just a thought. I don't know of any challenge that's harder to beat the game, and actually possible.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #191516
Posted: 24th December 2010 19:37

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Eyes closed.

--------------------
Post #191517
Posted: 25th December 2010 03:04

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (sweetdude @ 24th December 2010 11:27)
I don't know of any challenge that's harder to beat the game, and actually possible.

As I was typing up my list of ideas, I was actually wondering how many of them were actually possible to do together. Like, would it actually be possible to do a low-level, starting equipment, no materia (at all), no limit breaks, one-character-at-a-time-only challenge?

I mean, tediousness aside.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 25th December 2010 03:05

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #191521
Posted: 25th December 2010 11:39

Engineer

Awards:
Without a controller.

flag-blue.gif

Someone's suggested this already but playing through with just the starter weapons should be a challange and a half. How about without using any 'All' materia?
Post #191525
Posted: 25th December 2010 19:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 25th December 2010 04:04)
Like, would it actually be possible to do a low-level, starting equipment, no materia (at all), no limit breaks, one-character-at-a-time-only challenge?

I mean, tediousness aside.

Well that game would be a pain because in a long boss battle you might get a Limit and have to restart if you don't have another means of attack. Item are more than enough to win on their own. It's definitely possible. As long as you have one of either Items, Materia, Limit Breaks or Equipment it's possible to complete the game. Purely attack won't be enough with one character, unless you're allowing for unreasonable odds of bosses missing attacks, etc.

Your idea would mean Cloud would have to store a lot of Grenades and Potions to get through the beginning and make a lot of use of the Battle Square and Chocobo Betting. Assuming tediousness isn't an issue a level 50+ Cloud early and continuous levelling throughout wouldn't have any trouble completing the game I don't think. Bosses like Demon Gate would be awkward but nowhere near as hard as on a speed run. Having plenty of time for preparation (X-Potions in Wutai and S-Mines in the Battle Square in this case) makes any fight quite easy once the tricky prep work is done. It's working out what you need and how to get it that's the hard part I would say.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 25th December 2010 19:34

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #191538
Posted: 28th December 2010 22:01
Onion Knight

Awards:
no offense but why in hell's name did you buy a new copy off ebay its 10 on the play station network (unless you dont have a ps3 then sorry)

but the most difficult way to do this is to never grind, dont get any materia, and basically play the entire game only fighting what you have to
Post #191635
Posted: 30th December 2010 00:33
Returner

Awards:
bought a brand new copy off f a 100% positive feed back and 100% seller rating....i spent 150$ because i wanted to make sure i had a great copy of the game so if i beat it now...ill put it away...10 15 years down the road ill open it and it will play fine...150$ is worth it...

Anyways thanks for the tips guys i just got the game today in the mail ...i guess im gonna try the "live of the land " idea...
Post #191664
Posted: 30th December 2010 00:52

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Djibriel @ 24th December 2010 15:37)
Eyes closed.

Now, that would be impressive... Man, if you mess up though, oh the amount of random battles, XD.

--------------------
Post #191665
Posted: 4th January 2011 04:39

Returner

Quote (Djibriel @ 24th December 2010 13:37)
Eyes closed.

Last fall a blind guy beat Ocarina Of Time.
Post #191856
Posted: 4th January 2011 19:14
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
How is that possible? I cant even fathom that.
Post #191875
Posted: 4th January 2011 19:19

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Either:

1) Luck.

2) Somehow memorised the layout of the entire game.

3) Bullshit story.
Post #191877
Posted: 4th January 2011 21:31

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Here's one. I suggest a challenge in which the only materia that can be used are Steal and Morph... (which would require a game shark to get a Morph materia from the beginning)

Conditions
--------------------------------------
* You are not allowed to buy anything. Ever. Use the Steal materia to upgrade equipment and obtain healing items.

* Every enemy must be defeated using Morph. If you defeat an enemy with an item, weapon, or by using Mug, reload your save. I'm not sure if there are any enemies that cannot be Morphed. In the case that there is, a normal kill would be legal.

P.S. Up until you have access to the materia menu, you can do whatever you want (which is limited to spamming "Attack" over and over).

* No combining materia on your Steal or Morph materia, such as HP Absorb, MP Absorb, etc.

By stealing whatever equipment you can and keeping your level relatively low, you can start to manage clever ways to reduce enemy HP levels into the percentage they need to be for the enemy to be Morphed.
Post #191880
Posted: 4th January 2011 23:07

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Cefca @ 4th January 2011 14:19)
Either:

1) Luck.

2) Somehow memorised the layout of the entire game.

3) Bullshit story.

A little bit of the first two, actually. These guys on the web took pity on him and made a guide telling him how to win the game based on sound cues alone.

And back on topic, I say do a solo-round. For every battle, have two of your characters knocked out, except for before you have a three-man, at which point, you just have one KO'd.

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #191885
Posted: 11th September 2012 21:55

Returner

Me and a friend of mine were tossing around rules, trying to think of a way to add difficulty/fun to a competitive playthrough we would do against eachother. The following is what we came up with, losing items/ materia through randomized dice rolls before we begin. Please review the ideas we had and add or criticize to help us make it better next go around.

We didn't want to lose green materia alltogether. So we are going to limit ourselves by losing 1 type of green materia(randomly) at every 3 hours of gameplay. Keep in mind we're not speed-runners, so we'll probably lose our first materia in midgar, second around Junon. So on so forth. Choose the green materia you lose through a random dice roll and you may not use that materia for the remainder of the game. We were afraid of losing restore, so we came up with a buyback rule. The rule is at any time, you may get back a lost materia by giving up any two other possessed green materia(randomly).

We liked our materia rule because we think it's also gonna keep us from grinding, side questing. Make us watch the clock and focus on getting to the end. Also you may have only 2 of any type of green materia in your party at any given time.

The other rule regarding materia is that you lose either yellow, blue, purple or red through a dice roll at the beginning of the game. Then of the remaining 3, you choose 1 you must not use for the remainder of the game.

Accessories- At the beginning, role a dice to see how many accessories your party may equip. 0,1,2 or 3

Items-At the beginning role a dice to see how many perishable items you can buy per storyline visit to a town. 5,4,3,2 or 1

Shops- We may purchase 1 materia and 1 weapon, armor or accessory per storyline visit to a town.

Limit levels- At the beginning we rolled a dice to see what the highest level of limit breaks you may use during the playthrough. 1,2,3 or 4.

I hope that doesn't look like too much of a jumbled mess. I'll clarify and post the results we had below.

My playthrough
Lost Yellow Materia to a dice roll
Chose to give up Purple materia
Lose 1 type of green materia per every 3 gameplay hours
Party may equip up to 2 accessories
May use up to level 3 limit breaks
May buy 5 perishable items per storyline visit to town
May buy 1 weapon, armor or accessory per storyline visit to town
May buy 1 piece of materia per storyline visit to a town

My friend's playthrough
Lost Blue materia to dice roll
Chose to give up Red materia
Loses 1 type of green materia per every 3 hours of gameplay
Party may equip up to 2 accessories
May use up to level 2 limit breaks
May buy up to 3 perishable items per storyline visit to town
May buy 1 weapon, armor or accessory per storyline visit to town
May buy 1 piece of Materia per storyline visit to town
Post #200987
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: