CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Am I the only one here... [spoilers!]

Posted: 31st July 2009 14:17

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Winner of CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. 
Huge spoilers below, so beware!

... who often ignores reviving Crono on purpose? Personally I think Crono is boring and ugly, and therefore I never use him when I get the chance to ditch him I never use him again, and him being dead is even better IMO!

.. Does anyone here actually agree/do as I do or does everyone revive him?

This post has been edited by Gigantuar on 31st July 2009 15:33
Post #180071
Posted: 31st July 2009 16:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I revived him. Why? I like Luminaire. HOLY HAND GRENADE!

But yeah, I hate Crono. He looks dumb. And reminds me of the main guy from Dragon Ball, for the... rather obvious reasons.

--------------------
Snooping as usual, I see?
Post #180077
Posted: 31st July 2009 18:25

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN EPL, 2010. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Personally I did simply for completion, I found him to be a useful character in combat however.

Oh and use spoiler tags if you're going to have spoilers.

--------------------
If god is all-forgiving then why do we have to kill people in his name?
Post #180087
Posted: 10th January 2010 18:29

Engineer

Awards:
Its Chrono. You need him. Revive him.

--------------------
You Can't Escape...
Nowhere to run...
Nowhere to hide...
Post #183171
Posted: 10th January 2010 19:12

Crusader

Awards:
i always revive him, no one in my party is as strong as him and he has my favorite techs in the game, so i cant say i feel the same way

--------------------
Aujourdhui a commence avec toi.
Post #183172
Posted: 10th January 2010 21:05

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I like him. Not my favourite character but he's still useful in battle and I like the way he attacks. Reviving him is pretty compulsory for me, unless I want to see the other ending rather than just watch it on the Caves video, i.e. never.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #183173
Posted: 14th January 2010 00:57

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I liked Crono too. Sure, he was pretty much an empty main character (due to the game's form of narration, which involved Crono saying mostly nothing), but that also means he wasn't able to say anything stupid. It sorta worked out as a draw. Crono's a strong character in battle too, so it's helpful to have him.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #183208
Posted: 14th January 2010 01:27

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I'll give you three reasons I revive Chrono.
1) Because I like having a full roster of characters. That means I also don't kill Magus. He's good too.
2) Because Luminaire is the most powerful magical single tech in the game! And all of his other techs are pretty awesome too.
3) Because I always name Chrono after me! Is everyone just going to up and abandon me! I don't think so.
I went through all the endings to see what it would be like w/o Chrono. Just so I never have an excuse to not resurrect myself.
Post #183210
Posted: 14th January 2010 15:45

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
/Rant

I like Chrono, if only because he is mute (which reminds me of myself) and his combat prowess is second to none. The fact that there is an option to leave him dead used to be considered interesting, but lets be honest here, there really is not an option. Leave him dead, lose Luminaire, lose the best ending, lose the best fighter, story makes no sense.

It's more of a stretch to say that Chrono is the Goku of the game then it is to say that Magus is the Picollo. That is, you can get by without him, but not for too long, because eventually something way too big and way to bad will swat you down unless you have his godlike powers to combat it.

/end rant

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #183216
Posted: 15th January 2010 08:17

Returner

i revive him cause he is one of my fav char, but the first time i played through i did not know how to revive him so i just beat the game. it pissed me off also cause i played for 2 straight days walking all over the place and going from time to time and would not find him so i just said forget it and beat the game. then i played through again with new game+ and boy did i feel stupid lol.
Post #183225
Posted: 19th February 2010 07:46

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
dry.gif I only keep him around to get the beyond time ending.

Other than that, I usually have Robo as my kill-all and leave crono to his fate...*mutter**grumble*he is so generic. thumbdown.gif

--------------------
The meaning of life is life itself.

We were put on this earth to follow our dreams unabated.
Post #183955
Posted: 3rd March 2010 04:04

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Yeah I always revive him as well. He's just too powerful to ignore.

--------------------
//www.rpgmaker.net/
We make games. Period.
Post #184136
Posted: 19th March 2010 09:38

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Now I'm curious...does anyone go about ignoring Crono and killing Magus?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #184390
Posted: 27th April 2010 11:18

Cactuar

Awards:
Climbing the mountain to revive him is always good for a challenge and leveling up your characters and getting them new techniques.So always revive him. Plus like lighting and his main spells are lighting, and well going up the mountain and heading back down without him would be a tad cruel. It would be like "heey, I'm gonna revive ya "! * turns around and heads back down *- " Not !' !

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #185259
Posted: 27th April 2010 21:18

Behemoth

Awards:
Im going to get off my FFVI innate resentment of Chrono Trigger, and actually defend it.

The reason that Crono has no real character development is because he is supposed to be you. He's supposed to be your representation in the game. That's why he doesn't speak. As for saving him, well, the game's named after him, so how could you let him stay dead?

--------------------
Post #185276
Posted: 28th April 2010 21:12

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I've left him dead before, just to see the alternate ending(s), but I always revive him as a general rule. Main character...strongest character...strongest tech...um, yeah.
Post #185281
Posted: 28th April 2010 22:04

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (yelanates @ 28th April 2010 17:12)
I've left him dead before, just to see the alternate ending(s), but I always revive him as a general rule. Main character...strongest character...strongest tech...um, yeah.

Okay, I'm goin to get back on my critical pedestal. Isn't it a big problem when so many people are willing to let the main character remain dead?

FFVI Spoiler:

It's the exact opposite of the "wait for Shadow" thing, as people wanted to save him, and he wan't even a main character!

This is one of the problems I had with CT's storytelling, honestly.

--------------------
Post #185284
Posted: 16th May 2010 02:42
Returner

Quote (BlitzSage @ 27th April 2010 21:18)
Im going to get off my FFVI innate resentment of Chrono Trigger, and actually defend it.

The reason that Crono has no real character development is because he is supposed to be you. He's supposed to be your representation in the game. That's why he doesn't speak. As for saving him, well, the game's named after him, so how could you let him stay dead?

Sorry To Burst your bubbles but the game isnt named after him. if you actually played it you'd learn that the "Chrono Trigger" is what is used to revive him.
Post #185636
Posted: 16th May 2010 04:10

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (VincentValentine @ 15th May 2010 22:42)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 27th April 2010 21:18)

Sorry To Burst your bubbles but the game isnt named after him. if you actually played it you'd learn that the "Chrono Trigger" is what is used to revive him.

Oh, I see. And why do you think that they named it that?

It may just be me, but Chrono looks and sounds a lot like Crono. I also figured that since he is in fact the main character, and they use the Chrono Trigger to revive him. But anyways, don't worry, my bubble remains perfectly intact. lol

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 16th May 2010 04:11

--------------------
Post #185640
Posted: 16th May 2010 10:14

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Winner of CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 19th March 2010 10:38)

This on the other hand, I've never tried. As I leave Crono dead, I usually replace him with Magus (Making my final team Magus/Frog/Robo)... Hm, maybe I should kill Magus as well for fun...

Oh wait, I just remembered my Chrono Trigger DS is a pirate copy... *Sniff* cry.gif
Post #185645
Posted: 11th October 2011 19:36

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 19th March 2010 09:38)

I've done this before, because I wanted to see the variation of the ending with
Frog's human form.

I generally prefer keeping both characters for the sake of completion, and due to their combat abilities, but I don't really like either of them as characters so I'm fine with leaving them dead.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #197773
Posted: 11th October 2011 22:47

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (VincentValentine @ 15th May 2010 20:42)

Actually, his name was "Chrono" in the Japanese version and was shortened to "Crono" for the English releases. Kinda makes you wonder what a coincidence that Crono/Chrono would be saved by the Chrono Trigger...

I always revive Crono, since he is a very well-rounded character with excellent physical/magical attack power and good speed, not to mention some of the best techniques in the game. Falcon Hit is probably one of the Double Techs I use the most.

And Magus is freakin' Magus. Stick a Gold Stud on him and watch him blast apart entire groups of enemies with his Shadow magic. I'd never pass him up, even for the variation on the ending.

(In fact, Crono/Magus/Frog is the party I usually focus on end-game.)

This post has been edited by LilyheartsLightning on 11th October 2011 22:49

--------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read this sign. This sign loves you.
Post #197776
Posted: 26th October 2011 01:09
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quite a few people have said that crono has the best attacks in the game. That is almost completely untrue. Lucca has a stronger spell, if I recall correctly, and robo with his crisis arm and rapidfire fist are more powerful. I think even dark matter might be better. Not to mention the fact that Magus can naturally produce a stronger lightning 2 iirc.
Post #197924
Posted: 26th October 2011 02:15

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Luminaire's damage multiplier is higher than Flare or Darkmatter. Flare and Darkmatter usually do more damage because Magus and Lucca have higher Magic stats than Crono. If you get Crono's Magic high enough, Luminaire is the most powerful single-character magic Tech. Magus's Lightning 2 is the same as Crono's. Magus usually has higher Magic, so his is usually better.

And yes, Robo with Crisis Arm is the most powerful mofo in the game. "Rapidfire Fist" (I'm pretty sure you mean Uzi Punch) is a pretty good Tech, but with Crisis Arm Robo's regular attacks are just fine.

And, perhaps surprisingly, I don't like using Magus as much as most people seem to. I prefer to have a team with a lot of good Double and Triple Techs, and Magus doesn't cut it. My favorite party is Crono, Ayla, and Robo - I think I mention that somewhere in CoN's guide

--------------------
Post #197925
Posted: 26th October 2011 04:22

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 25th October 2011 18:15)
Luminaire's damage multiplier is higher than Flare or Darkmatter. Flare and Darkmatter usually do more damage because Magus and Lucca have higher Magic stats than Crono. If you get Crono's Magic high enough, Luminaire is the most powerful single-character magic Tech. Magus's Lightning 2 is the same as Crono's. Magus usually has higher Magic, so his is usually better.

And yes, Robo with Crisis Arm is the most powerful mofo in the game. "Rapidfire Fist" (I'm pretty sure you mean Uzi Punch) is a pretty good Tech, but with Crisis Arm Robo's regular attacks are just fine.

And, perhaps surprisingly, I don't like using Magus as much as most people seem to. I prefer to have a team with a lot of good Double and Triple Techs, and Magus doesn't cut it. My favorite party is Crono, Ayla, and Robo - I think I mention that somewhere in CoN's guide

It's Rapidfire Fist in the U.S. DS version. Also, Crono, Ayla, and Robo are the best team.

And if you play like i did, where I gave all my stat boosts to Crono until he maxed out that particular stat, no one can compete with him except for Robo and Ayla with their best weapons.

--------------------
-FFIII FFIV FFV FFVII FFVIII FFX FFXII FFXIII FF:Dissidia FFVII:CC FFVII:DoC
--KHI KHII KH:COM KH:BbS
---SO:FD SO:TTEOT SO:TLH
----DQIII DQVIII
-----DA:O DAII
------VP:S
Post #197927
Posted: 26th October 2011 17:07

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (arcterious @ 25th October 2011 19:09)
Quite a few people have said that crono has the best attacks in the game. That is almost completely untrue. Lucca has a stronger spell, if I recall correctly, and robo with his crisis arm and rapidfire fist are more powerful. I think even dark matter might be better. Not to mention the fact that Magus can naturally produce a stronger lightning 2 iirc.

The Crisis Arm is only powerful when Robo's last digit of his HP is high. If it's at 9, Robo becomes the most powerful damage-dealer. If it's at 0, Robo deals no damage at all. Crono's ultimate weapon, the Rainbow, consistently has a high attack power and a high chance for criticals, making his standard attacks far more reliable than Robo's.

Crono also has a great assortment of Single, Double, and Triple Techs (including my favourite, Falcon Hit), not to mention that any Triple Tech that doesn't involve Crono requires one party member to be equipped with the special accessory.

Magus is very versatile with all second-level spells, but many times, you don't want to hit every enemy with a Lightning-element spell. Each spell and its second-level form deal the same amount of damage; the second-level spell hits all targets instead of one.

Crono's strength is his versatility--high physical and magical power, great speed, and a great selection of equipment and Techs.

--------------------
Post #197934
Posted: 26th October 2011 19:52

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Each spell and its second-level form deal the same amount of damage; the second-level spell hits all targets instead of one.

Wait, really? This I didn't know. How did you find out about this?

If you're right, then that makes Magus less useful, definitely. Though not entirely useless; he does get the hard-to-access shadow element, which otherwise only Robo has.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #197939
Posted: 26th October 2011 21:50

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 26th October 2011 13:52)
Each spell and its second-level form deal the same amount of damage; the second-level spell hits all targets instead of one.

Wait, really? This I didn't know. How did you find out about this?

I double-checked it just to make sure, and the second-level spells do a bit more damage than the first-level spells--I tested it with Crono and Lightning 2 did about 10% more damage to each target than the Lightning did to a single target. It's not a large difference, especially in situations where other enemies will counterattack or absorb multi-target spells.

This post has been edited by LilyheartsLightning on 26th October 2011 21:53

--------------------
Post #197941
Posted: 26th October 2011 21:53

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
So, I guess I have too much of a conscience as a gamer, haha. I pretty much always pick the "nice" route to things, even in dialogue sequences. So I spare Magus and keep Crono alive, unless I'm trying to get a specific ending.

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #197942
Posted: 30th November 2011 09:38

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I just bring him back for completion purposes but I do use him with the rainbow (70% chance for critical hit) and the frenzy/black bandana (i don't remember exactly what it's called but the accessory for 80% chance to counter attack). I actually only use Luminaire to quick finish a boss fight i'm to bored to go out of my way to TRY and make a small challenge out of.
My team actually is always Lucca and Marle and I find their Antipod 3 attack to be devastating.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #198325
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: