CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
CoN mainpage fail?

Posted: 28th August 2008 23:08

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
maybe its just me, but, the CoN main page www.cavesofnarshe.com isnt working. it just comes up "cannot display webpage" the forums work fine though.

anyone else having this problem?

--------------------
"Life: The deepest cut that wilt not heal. Fore it bleeds on and on as if an eternity. An endless river of blood in which death is thyne only escape. And as the tainted years pass, that escape muddles us with temptation."
Post #171879
Posted: 29th August 2008 00:09

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Are you still having it even now? The site was moved to new hardware this morning (though I forgot it was happening and thus didn't warn anyone), and part of the move was that we have to change server IPs for everything. However, that shouldn't cause a problem until at least the end of September, and I should have fixes in place before then that will avoid it entirely.

Seems a bit strange to be a coincidence, though, so let me know if the problem persists - you can look for me on IM, chat, or whatever and I can run some tests to see if we can diagnose why it's happening.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #171881
Posted: 29th August 2008 02:02

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
well, the main pages still dont work. and i tried chat, but it doesnt work for me either. just the forums. and i havent changed any personal settings here at my end. wacko.gif dunno whats up.

--------------------
"Life: The deepest cut that wilt not heal. Fore it bleeds on and on as if an eternity. An endless river of blood in which death is thyne only escape. And as the tainted years pass, that escape muddles us with temptation."
Post #171889
Posted: 29th August 2008 02:03

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
sorry, but i just noticed, the game info pages work fine. but the MAIN CoN page doesnt. its like its missing or something. same with chat ( cavesofnarshe.com/chat )

EDIT: i dont know what to think of it, but the pages come up for a split second, ( it starts to load background and other page files ) but it acts like it redirects really fast to a broken link. but the url is the same wacko.gif

im soo confused.

second edit:

yea it really seems like a redirect issue. like i said, the page loads almost and a split second later, it tries to connect to another page and fails. tried with chat and mainpage both the same. some of the game info pages too.

This post has been edited by jacemm7283 on 29th August 2008 02:10

--------------------
Post #171890
Posted: 29th August 2008 18:27

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
CoN mainpage fail? That's unpossible!

(Sorry, sorry, had to be done.)

Try going to the site pages, broken or not, and holding Ctrl while you reload the page (Ctrl+F5 will do it in most browsers on Windows). That'll force the page to reload completely. You might then end up with a more consistent result than some pages working and some not.

The only redirection we should be doing is from cavesofnarshe.com to www.cavesofnarshe.com, so you might want to see if omitting or including the www part makes any difference, or if the URL bar changes to show a different address in either case.

Oh, and please let us know which browser you're using - that might help narrow it down.

This post has been edited by Tiddles on 29th August 2008 18:30
Post #171908
Posted: 29th August 2008 23:02

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
im using IE7

it also happens when i type in "www.cavesofnarshe.com"

the mainpage will load for a split second ( like half a second or a little less ) and then re-directs and fails to load. i dont know what its redirecting to, but its the same URL in the browser. wacko.gif

just checked a minute ago, and its still doing it.

EDIT:

i just checked on a computer with IE6, and the pages load. BUT they dont load correctly. the background images dont line up on the right side ( the right menu and links )

wacko.gif im screwed. when you guys moved to new hardware, was it done by a company, or did you guys do it? if it was done by a company/corporation/professionals, id be raising hell.

This post has been edited by jacemm7283 on 29th August 2008 23:09

--------------------
Post #171911
Posted: 30th August 2008 03:23

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (jacemm7283 @ 29th August 2008 19:02)
im using IE7

it also happens when i type in "www.cavesofnarshe.com"

the mainpage will load for a split second ( like half a second or a little less ) and then re-directs and fails to load. i dont know what its redirecting to, but its the same URL in the browser. wacko.gif

just checked a minute ago, and its still doing it.

EDIT:

i just checked on a computer with IE6, and the pages load. BUT they dont load correctly. the background images dont line up on the right side ( the right menu and links )

wacko.gif im screwed. when you guys moved to new hardware, was it done by a company, or did you guys do it? if it was done by a company/corporation/professionals, id be raising hell.

Do me a favor when you have time. Open up a command prompt (in XP, that's done by going to Start->Run, running "cmd" - I'm sure it's similar in Vista if you're on it), and in the prompt type "tracert cavesofnarshe.com" sans quotes. Copy the content it gives you in response, and PM or email me and/or Tiddles the results. Do the same with "nslookup cavesofnarshe.com" for the fun of it, too.

I have a hunch that something on your ISP end is having a fit over DNS settings as they pertain to the hardware changes on our end. If that's the case, there's not too much we can do about it, I'm afraid, but I'll see what I can do before I leave on vacation Sunday morning. I'll just need to see the results of the stuff above to know where to go from here.

For the record, yes, we do pay a company to handle these things for us, but I really don't think that they've necessarily screwed something up here. I think your complaint and one intermittent one I saw in chat are all I've gotten, and tracking the metrics seems to say that, at least right now, there aren't that many people having issues. But, like I say, we'll try to help figure it out as much as we can.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #171918
Posted: 30th August 2008 11:59

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
OK, this was on our end, and it should be sorted now.

An exploit was installed onto several key site pages. However, the exploit was fairly dumb, and didn't work properly, for the most part, due to the way CoN is built. All that happened was that our output had some corruption on the end of it, which made IE give up loading the pages, while other browsers just ignored it.

However, if at any point IE tried or offered to install anything when browsing any page on cavesofnarshe.com - including subdomains - I'd suggest a virus scan immediately. It's possible that the exploit was working properly on some pages not connected to the CoN central framework. However, if the only thing you saw was pages failing to load properly, you should be fine.

It goes without saying that we're both really sorry and really peeved about this, and we'll be looking for some strong answers as to how this happened and how we can prevent it from ever happening again.

This post has been edited by Tiddles on 30th August 2008 12:01
Post #171919
Posted: 30th August 2008 12:42

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Indeed, NOW there will be hell to pay from the server company, as you requested, Jace.

--------------------

Post #171920
Posted: 30th August 2008 21:55

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
laugh.gif yay. all good now. sorry about not helpin you out with that "tracert cavesofnarshe.com" i left here last night and went to sleep, and ive been at work all day. im just glad you got things sorted out. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Post #171925
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: