CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
FFTactics

Posted: 17th March 2003 23:18
Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I just got Final Fantasy Tactics ('just' as in like 3 hours ago) and was wondering about everyone's (who's played the game) tips on enjoying the game... I just suffered through the tutorial, and was thinking I'd ask people's opinions on how to really enjoy the game... what are the coolest jobs, tips to keep in mind in battles, etc.  

And can someone tell me what's going on with the story?  Your first battle takes place a year after the second I'm guessing?  Some of the translation is a little sketchy.

Thanks!

Edit: Uhh... I don't know if anyone else had this problem... my game freezes when a chemist uses a Potion in the second battle of the game.  I play on PS2, with a third party memory card, help here?

--------------------
I close my mouth now and I scream,
Open the door, there's nothing worth redeeming
I saw your face before in rough,
You should wait around a while, your body's bound to turn up.
So low for how high?
-Matt Good, "Running for Home"
Post #9690
Posted: 18th March 2003 00:38

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
My interpretation  of the storyline was you play as a hero in this war, from the start of his military career all the way to the end and as you progress you get to different chapters of the book.

A few good Jobs are Ninja, Dragoon, Calculator and of course Monks, though the first three may take a while, i couldn't tell you about the mime, bard or dancer, seeing as i havnt ever gotten them

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #9691
Posted: 18th March 2003 03:41

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
The second battle happens signifigantly before the first battle. The first battle is the beginning of the second chapter, I believe, and everything in chapter one happens before that. It would be hard to talk about the plot without giving too much of it away, suffice to say it OWNZ. Just make sure you're paying attention.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #9701
Posted: 18th March 2003 05:21
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
1: no matter how confident you are, save after EVERY BATTLE!!
2: when characters die, dont let their theyre number thing go to zero or else you'll lose your character forever.
3: there will be character that will betray you, when they do,
strip them of thier equipments and turn them into a time
mage! ;)
4: use dash or chuck a rock when enemy is standing on the edge of a cliff.
5: get thieves quick so you can always steal weapons/etc. , cause the enemies always have better stuff than you.
6: the higher an archer is in height the longer range he has.

some of my fav combos were, archers with break skills, imagine breaking swords with arrows, so unrealistic but funny.
lancers with break skills is pretty good too.
so are ninjas with break skills, you get two hits to try to break a person's item!

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #9706
Posted: 18th March 2003 06:05

Black Waltz

Awards:
as monkey-wrench said, save your game often. I always save my game after every battle. My advise is just keep playing through the game and everything will come to you. Just make sure you have at least one character (besides Ramza) with a high brave rating and one with a high spirit level.

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #9707
Posted: 18th March 2003 20:52

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
Quote (BGrugby @ 18 Mar 2003, 00:05)
Just make sure you have at least one character (besides Bartz) with a high brave rating and one with a high spirit level.

Bartz?

Anyway, FF Tactics is a great game, and it's one of my favorites for sure.  I guess the absolute best advice I can give you is to always level up many, many levels above the computer and always save because surprises are everywhere.

As far as jobs, some great ones are Knight, Monk, Calculator, Dragoon, Ninja, and Samurai.  Almost all of the jobs are useful in some way, though.  Oh, and be sure to get a good mix of characters, for example don't have all Knights or all powerful hitters without any magic support or long-range weaponry.  I would also suggest a few high brave characters as a priority.  I would also suggest one very, very low brave character, but maybe I shouldn't say why.

The last thing I can tell you is to...ask Neal if you have any problems whatsoever.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #9723
Posted: 20th March 2003 20:51

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the finest RPG/Strategy game hybrids ever, bar none.  The story and characters are great, too.

Anyway, here's the basics.  The monsters level up with you, so your party can easily get wiped out by random encounters (trust me, it's happened).  Save after every battle, or you'll be in worlds of hurt.  Levelling up to insane proportions always helps, if you've got the time for it.  The earliest time to level is right before the first fight in Dorter Trade City (shortly after visiting Alma and Dycedarg following your rescuing Algus).  The difficulty curve suddenly runs straight up if you're under-leveled, so make sure to build before heading there.

High Brave is very, very important.  Brave works towards your ability to dodge and counter attacks, the chances of getting a Critical Hit, and just the all-around damage you give/take.  High Faith is very important in spellcasters, though sometimes low Faith works for warriors, because characters with low Faith will be less affected by magic.  (This could be a problem if you like Priests.)

Great warrior jobs include the Knight, Samurai, Lancer, and, of course, the Ninja.  The Ninja is especially formidable thanks to its ability to use two weapons at a time, resulting in massive damage other classes can't hope to accomplish.  However, it's important for a Ninja to gain some levels as a Knight first, so he can learn Equip Armor to boost his low HP.  Also, once you get access to ninja weapons (Hidden Knife, etc.) it's very, VERY important never to use the Auto equip command at a store on any Ninja, or you'll end up with pitiably weak Flail weapons.  Instead, manually equip useful ninja weapons on the Ninja, and you'll have a shadowy killing machine in no time.  An alternate route is giving a Knight the Two Swords ability, sacrificing Move, Jump, and Speed bonuses for additional HP.  If mages are your thing, the power of Wizards usually proves the most useful, as Time Mages are a mite impractical (Slow and Haste seem to work more for the computer, and Meteo, while awesome, has a high point requirement) and Summoners are way too slow.  Once again, Equip Armor is key.  Of course, later on, just get a Calculator, as these magical masters deal out hefty damage over a huge area of effect.

Other than that, have fun.  You can play the game for hours just by virtue of the Job System.  It's a great game.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #9779
Posted: 21st March 2003 04:20
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
black mage/ calculator is very cool, flare on everyone, no MP used,
and no turn waiting. its really good..

Also Once you get Rad, make him one of the weaker jobs like
oracle or time mage, he does really good in those jobs.

--------------------
Post #9805
Posted: 22nd March 2003 19:20

Engineer

Awards:
Make sure you don't forget the mages!!!!!!!!!!  I pulled a major bonehead by forgeting the magic.  Sure, three Knights kick serious butt.  But what can you do if you can't catch the engineer with Move HP up and he keeps killing you wiht his flunkies!?  NOTHING!!!

Also always get Orlandu!!!  He's the Cid in the game and like all playable Cids...he kicks serious monster tail! :E

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #9874
Posted: 22nd March 2003 19:41

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
high faith is good for mages, but if i recall, dont they leave the fight if thier faith becomes too high?

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #9879
Posted: 23rd March 2003 05:41
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
cid makes the game WAAAAAYYYY too easy, dont play with
him unless you're having a really hard time with it

--------------------
Post #9922
Posted: 11th June 2003 02:40

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Super Moogle @ 20 Mar 2003, 14:51)
Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the finest RPG/Strategy game hybrids ever, bar none.  The story and characters are great, too.

Anyway, here's the basics.  The monsters level up with you, so your party can easily get wiped out by random encounters (trust me, it's happened).  Save after every battle, or you'll be in worlds of hurt.  Levelling up to insane proportions always helps, if you've got the time for it.  The earliest time to level is right before the first fight in Dorter Trade City (shortly after visiting Alma and Dycedarg following your rescuing Algus).  The difficulty curve suddenly runs straight up if you're under-leveled, so make sure to build before heading there.

High Brave is very, very important.  Brave works towards your ability to dodge and counter attacks, the chances of getting a Critical Hit, and just the all-around damage you give/take.  High Faith is very important in spellcasters, though sometimes low Faith works for warriors, because characters with low Faith will be less affected by magic.  (This could be a problem if you like Priests.)

Great warrior jobs include the Knight, Samurai, Lancer, and, of course, the Ninja.  The Ninja is especially formidable thanks to its ability to use two weapons at a time, resulting in massive damage other classes can't hope to accomplish.  However, it's important for a Ninja to gain some levels as a Knight first, so he can learn Equip Armor to boost his low HP.  Also, once you get access to ninja weapons (Hidden Knife, etc.) it's very, VERY important never to use the Auto equip command at a store on any Ninja, or you'll end up with pitiably weak Flail weapons.  Instead, manually equip useful ninja weapons on the Ninja, and you'll have a shadowy killing machine in no time.  An alternate route is giving a Knight the Two Swords ability, sacrificing Move, Jump, and Speed bonuses for additional HP.  If mages are your thing, the power of Wizards usually proves the most useful, as Time Mages are a mite impractical (Slow and Haste seem to work more for the computer, and Meteo, while awesome, has a high point requirement) and Summoners are way too slow.  Once again, Equip Armor is key.  Of course, later on, just get a Calculator, as these magical masters deal out hefty damage over a huge area of effect.

Other than that, have fun.  You can play the game for hours just by virtue of the Job System.  It's a great game.

Summoners aren't way too slow, just give them the Short Charge support ability and they'll do some major ownage, especially once you get Zodiac, Cyclops, and Fairy, and Titan, the only spells worth using as a Summoner.  Yeah this game is SO addictive, you can be playing up to hours a day.

--------------------
Never waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them.

Don't live your life to please anyone, make yourself happy.

Smile a lot:  It costs nothing and it's beyond price.

I love 2002-2003 5 series BMWs. Lease yours today.
Post #13125
Posted: 13th June 2003 20:18
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (monkey-wrench @ 20 Mar 2003, 20:20)

Not really, no. He's kind of a special character, as he joins automatically, like Alicia and Lavian, but his stats are those of a male generic. Generic (hired at the Soldier Office) males have higher HP and PA, and female generics have higher MP and MA. Ramza has male HP and PA, and female MP and MA.
Post #13184
Posted: 14th June 2003 00:06
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (JVTruman @ 13 Jun 2003, 15:18)
Quote (monkey-wrench @ 20 Mar 2003, 20:20)

Not really, no. He's kind of a special character, as he joins automatically, like Alicia and Lavian, but his stats are those of a male generic. Generic (hired at the Soldier Office) males have higher HP and PA, and female generics have higher MP and MA. Ramza has male HP and PA, and female MP and MA.

well it worked good for me ok.  :p

--------------------
Post #13194
Posted: 18th June 2003 15:08
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Here's a nice leveling up trick I learned. Save up and have the first ability that Ramza learn be his squires ability Yell. Anytime Ramza comes upon a turn he can't do anything, have him use Yell, not only will he get exp. and jp. but his speed will go up by 1 every time you use it (that part will come in handy later- i forget how to make a spoiler tag so i won't say where). Just don't let his levels get to far ahead of everyone elses or the random battles will be really difficult because the base the enemies levels on the level of your strongest character.

--------------------
"Son of a submariner"
          -Kefka
Post #13350
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: