CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
The Golems and their Copycat in Chrono Trigger

Posted: 24th March 2004 20:27

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I can't seem to beat the two golems in the ocean palace in C.T. they mimic what I do and they kill my characters too easily. Maybe I shouldn't use Chrono, Frog, and Ayla. My levels are lv. 35 right now.
Post #33814
Posted: 24th March 2004 20:39

Group Icon
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I think their strength is determined by your last attack. If you use a strong magic attack(Luminaire, x2 or x3 tech) then their attack will be very strong, but if you hit them with basic attacks they won't hurt you for much.

I may be wrong, it's been a while since I fought them.

--------------------
"My impersonation of an ordinary person was flawless." - Neal

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
Post #33816
Posted: 24th March 2004 20:43

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
If you have some of the colored Vests or Mails from the sealed treasure chests, use those. I would recommend the Red ones, because you can give one character a Red Vest, one a Red Mail, and then bring Lucca and give her some of the armor that Taban makes her that's resistant to fire. Then use fire-based and regular attacks.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #33819
Posted: 24th March 2004 21:41

Engineer

Awards:
The main thing to remember is in this battle, that the golems only ever cast lev 2 magic, (unless u att physically) For example, for some strange reason i trained for an extremly long time and had luminaire for crono when i got there. But i was kind of afraid to use it cause i figured they'd hit me bak with it. But they only used bolt 2, anyways, with that fact aside.

Usually i have problems with this battle to, so i try to pick an element that deals slightly less damage than others, (or like Neal said with the vests and all), then just take like frog or marle in for healing the team. Although a healing tech that usually recovers quite a bit is slurp kiss (maybe name is wrong) used by ayla and frog. That will usually heal all or most of the damage done by the lev 2 spells the golems cast. With that in mind, just remember not to hit him physically. Cause then he'll start that iron orb (1/2 hp) crap on u and those orange ball things (dunno what the attack is but it deals quite a bit) on u. if u remember all this then this batle should go a little smoother. Hope it helps!

--------------------
Link: "What is it?"
Mario: "It's coin, what the hell does it look like?"
Link: "Well.... What do you do with it?"
Mario: "You buy lives with them."
Link: ".... Isn't that slavery?"
~Mario/Link crossover comic~
Post #33826
Posted: 24th March 2004 22:57

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Strife543 @ 24th March 2004 21:41)
With that in mind, just remember not to hit him physically. Cause then he'll start that iron orb (1/2 hp) crap on u and those orange ball things (dunno what the attack is but it deals quite a bit) on u. if u remember all this then this batle should go a little smoother. Hope it helps!

This is the key to it, in my opinion. Never, ever use any non-elemental attack because their retort to it, Iron Orb, is easily the most powerful attack in the Golems' arsenal. Once I realised that, I didn't have problems any more.
Post #33836
Posted: 24th March 2004 23:04

Dragoon

Awards:
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to fight him after I get the stuff I need and I get some trianing done. biggrin.gif
Post #33837
Posted: 25th March 2004 00:20

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. 
Lightning, shadow, and physical attacks are really bad ideas against these guys. Their ice and fire counters aren't very powerful, though.

--------------------
My soul is bound to the Mistress of the Afterlife, and my fealty is to her always. So let's just hope she doesn't use it as one of her ten daily meals.
Post #33855
Posted: 25th March 2004 01:04

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
If this method has been discussed here before, I apologize. There is a more insidious way of dealing with the copycats - cycle the elements with which you hit him. Every time you attack him with an element (lightning, fire, whatever), he will of course reply in kind with the same element, but it takes him some set amount of time to reply. If you can hit him with a different element before he counterattacks, it will reset this "timer" and then he'll get ready to reply with the new element. If you can keep cycling the elements, you can keep him from ever counterattacking. My timing isn't perfect on this, but I can usually keep the counterattacks to once or twice at most (to help even out the timing, you may want to wait a little bit with your faster characters, like Crono).

Oh yeah, and I don't recommend you ever mix physical attacks into the cycle if you're trying this. My impression is that the iron orb counter comes much faster than the elemental ones (perhaps even instantly).

PB78
Post #33859
Posted: 25th March 2004 01:56

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. 
Actually, the iron ball is a demi, and it is a regular sequence attack. The physical counter is those 5 yellow ball things. That stuff hurts like hell.

--------------------
My soul is bound to the Mistress of the Afterlife, and my fealty is to her always. So let's just hope she doesn't use it as one of her ten daily meals.
Post #33864
Posted: 26th March 2004 02:40

Engineer

Awards:
So im guessing that no one knows what the little orange ball attack is called huh? Oh well, i guess the main thing is to avoid it, lol. by the way, i heard someone mention using shadow magic was a bad idea, do u even have Magus when u fight the golems? its been so long i dont remember.

--------------------
Post #34001
Posted: 26th March 2004 03:33

Engineer

Awards:
No, no Magus IIRC, but you can use Robo, and his lasers are considered (Via Spekkiko info) to be Shadow IIRC.
Post #34017
Posted: 26th March 2004 03:38

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
You should have plenty of shadow magic by the Golem Twins. Antipodes are considered shadow, as are Robo's lasers, Ayla's tail spin, and any tri-element attack.

--------------------
Post #34020
Posted: 26th March 2004 05:13

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
I though thier fire copy was way to friggin weak. so i had luminare and a red pin combo after so i never got lightning combo

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #34033
Posted: 26th March 2004 12:17

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Ah yes, Celestial, thank you for catching me. I was indeed talking about the 5 flying yellow turds, but I brain farted and called it iron orb.

PB78
Post #34050
Posted: 26th March 2004 14:50

Group Icon

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (The Celestial @ 25th March 2004 01:56)
Actually, the iron ball is a demi, and it is a regular sequence attack. The physical counter is those 5 yellow ball things. That stuff hurts like hell.

No. Iron Orb is also a counter to physical attacks, along with the yellow energy balls (which aren't named). It's the combination that's devastating: the yellow things don't do all THAT much on their own, but they're a real problem when you've just been hit by a couple of demi attacks from Iron Orb.

If you only use elemental attacks, you will NEVER be hit by Iron Orb OR the yellow things, except before you ever cast a spell. All the more reason to go elemental.
Post #34065
Posted: 26th March 2004 16:07
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
What I ended up doing was using Light2/Fire2/Ice2 consectutively and they both kept switching so much, they never had time to kick my butt. I ran outta MP a'fore it killed 'em, but with quick enough reflexes, I could megaelixir myself back to full and he'd be gone with no damage done ta me. I learned later I could use more powerful attacks and kill him quicker, just as long as they1) were elemental and 2) were different.

--------------------
Post #34085
Posted: 26th March 2004 17:16

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Actually, Iron Orb is Dalton's physical counter. The Golems just drop it on you at the beginning of the fight and then whenever the sequence gets around to it. (which is never, if you keep varying elements)

--------------------
Post #34110
Posted: 27th March 2004 14:56

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
Quote (The Celestial @ 26th March 2004 17:16)
Actually, Iron Orb is Dalton's physical counter.  The Golems just drop it on you at the beginning of the fight and then whenever the sequence gets around to it. (which is never, if you keep varying elements)

Okay, do this:

Go to the first Golem. Cast Fire on it. Wait.

Watch as it repeats the same two fire attacks over and over again. Speed it up if you're using ZSNES, and cure occasionally. If it ever does do anything else, it certainly takes a ridiculous amount of time.

Attack it physically.

Watch as it repeatedly cycles between doing Iron Orb and yellow energy balls.

Now cast another element on it.

Watch as it cycles between the same two attacks of that element over and over again.

I DID test it before responding the first time, you know, with Golem, and I just rechecked it with GolemTwins. Try it. You avoid all Iron Orbs except the first by simply never using physical damage, and using an element immediately. I can make a ZMV if you really want, but I'd rather not waste time on it.

It's worth remembering with GolemTwins that they both have an independent memory of the last element used. If you physically attack the right one and then use Lightning on the left, the right will be doing Iron Orb and yellow energy and the left will be using Lightning techs. Perhaps this explains your different experience.

Varying elements repeatedly may help, but I stand by my earlier advice: even doing the SAME element repeatedly will result only in weak elemental attacks being used on you, and no Iron Orb or yellow stuff.
Post #34250
Posted: 29th March 2004 19:27

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Here's what:

The Golems will counter physical with physical, and elemental with the same element. What you should do is equip fire-absorbing/resisting armor, and then go hit both of them with fire. They will only counter with a weak "fire ring" attack. Keep hitting them with fire, and they will do the same stupid fire ring attack over and over again. Done. Pwned.

Don't use physical, because you'll get Iron Orb as a counterattack as well as the yellow-orb thing as a regular attack. I don't know what using other elements on them does, and I'm not going to start another playthrough soon to check.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #34588
Posted: 29th March 2004 20:23

Dragoon

Awards:
I beat them last Saturaday and I got a straegy: Have 3 Ruby Vests, make sure Crono and Lucca are part of the group and they know Fire Sword, use it on them and kill them one at a time and you will win.
Post #34599
Posted: 29th March 2004 20:27
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Actually having Frog and Lucca w/ Line Bomb would be quicker I'd figure.

--------------------
Post #34600
Posted: 29th March 2004 20:47

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
GamblingCat--thanks for reminding me: That's exactly what I did. Fire Sword (Fire Sword 2?) on them one at a time. I didn't have Line Bomb (Narratorway's suggestion) yet. (Line Bomb actually finally came in handy when fighting the Terra Mutant.)

EDIT (response to GC's question below): Terra Mutant is a rather difficult boss in the Black Omen. If you haven't gotten far enough to see the Black Omen...well, just keep playing.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 29th March 2004 20:52

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #34609
Posted: 29th March 2004 20:50

Dragoon

Awards:
Sorry to go off topic, but, GMH, what is the Terra Mutant?
Post #34611
Posted: 2nd April 2004 22:15

Engineer

Awards:
Terra mutant is a boss from way later in the game, he's not that hard of a boss depending on ur stratedgy but why GMH mentioned it now is beyond me.

--------------------
Post #35428
Posted: 5th April 2004 12:33

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I haven't fought those guys in a while, but if I recall correctly, there were two keys to victory, both involving Lucca. The first is that the Twins' fire counter attack is weaker than their counters for the other elements, and the second being that they are succeptable to HypnoWave. So, I believe that my method was to put one to sleep, and just blast the hell out of the other one with Fire1, while the othet two characters... twiddled their thumbs, or whistled, or something. This way you only have to deal with one at a time, which made it quite a bit easier.

If I'm wrong, and I'm talking nonsense and embarassing myself, just have the Mods delete this post.
Post #35815
Posted: 5th April 2004 14:04

Crusader

Awards:
Okay, I'll make this short:
The twins magic attack is much weaker than their physical attack, so:
have all people in the party be ready
The strong fighters (Crono, Frog) hack away with their strongest physical attacks
Then, instantly, the magically stronger chars (AGAIN Crono, Lucca) shoot away with an all-hit spell.
Heal up. Repeat.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #35817
Posted: 29th June 2010 17:14

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
When you fight enemies like the golems, that have some resistance to magic, you must go for the good older way: STRENGHT! biggrin.gif Use some non-elemental techniques, dual techniques or even triple techinques ( Triple Raid is an example).

This post has been edited by CatFood on 29th June 2010 17:14

--------------------
While theres a tomorrow, my laziness is immortal
Post #186377
Posted: 3rd August 2010 01:22

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
An addendum to all this:

Note that fire attacks are useful for yet another reason: Lucca gets fire-resisting armor (not absorbing) from Taban. Thus, if you have too few Ruby Vests, it's still not as bad of a situation.

That's on top of their fire attack being abnormally weak. So yeah, all told, fire is their glaring weakness.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #187160
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: