CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Toughest battle in the game

Posted: 10th March 2010 19:24

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (_BeowulfKadmus @ 9th March 2010 20:50)
I'm only on my 3rd full playthrough, and I don't know what has come over me.
I'm stuck at Velius!

Wiegraf in human form is absolute cake, but for some reason Velius and his Archdemons overwhelm me everytime. Ah well, I'll keep trying I suppose.

if you used the old "have Ramza yell like no tomorrow than Cheer Up like no tomorrow and end with Accumulating like no tomorrow" after you kill Wiegraf, the stats boost from the battle with Wiegraf, tranfer to the battle with Velius. To make it so Wiegraf doesnt get clean hits at you, Equip Chamleon Robe, Feather Boots, and a good shield so that Wiegraf only has two attacks that now have low hit %

--------------------
In order to find your oppenent's weakness, you must first learn their pattern. Once you know their pattern, you can build a counter strategy.
Post #184229
Posted: 10th March 2010 20:34

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Fistrules @ 10th March 2010 19:24)
Quote (_BeowulfKadmus @ 9th March 2010 20:50)
I'm only on my 3rd full playthrough, and I don't know what has come over me.
I'm stuck at Velius!

Wiegraf in human form is absolute cake, but for some reason Velius and his Archdemons overwhelm me everytime. Ah well, I'll keep trying I suppose.

if you used the old "have Ramza yell like no tomorrow than Cheer Up like no tomorrow and end with Accumulating like no tomorrow" after you kill Wiegraf, the stats boost from the battle with Wiegraf, tranfer to the battle with Velius. To make it so Wiegraf doesnt get clean hits at you, Equip Chamleon Robe, Feather Boots, and a good shield so that Wiegraf only has two attacks that now have low hit %

I don't feel like cheesing it out and using the yell thing, but I'll give the equipment set a try. tongue.gif
Post #184230
Posted: 21st May 2010 18:25
Returner

Quote (Rangers51 @ 15th January 2010 07:23)
Quote (Neal @ 15th January 2010 08:52)
Early mediator can get you a chocobo in chapter 1 if you so desire - doesn't have to be Boco.  I think at the beginning of Chapter 2 you have a brief window where Orbonne and Dorter are connected blue dots, so you could walk between the two dots endlessly until a red chocobo hatched.  I played through a game with a "Monster Pimp" Ramza, where he was the only human character I allowed myself to use in battles (beyond the first couple to get my team situated) and that required me to get him to Mediator status right quick.

Flip side of the same coin, though, isn't it? There are a couple storyline battles in chapter 1 where I can see inviting a chocobo, plus a couple where they'd show up in randoms, as I recall. To get there, though, you're right, you'd have to get to Mediator quick, and that alone would probably be plenty of leveling by the time you got to Gafgarion.

Just a thought, though, really - didn't mean to imply that it was impossible to do it earlier, just that the process of doing it would by its very nature would probably make the mentioned battle easier. smile.gif

Actually it depends on your approach to leveling. I decided this time that I am playing I am going to do super Ramza, 1 character fighting challange. So what I decided to do is unlock all of the classes before Sweegy Woods and cherry pick the key skills I need to powerlevel (so I can level and delevel).

At level 13 on Ramza I have every class unlocked except: MIME, ninja, and samurai. I think that should happen by level 28.

The key for doing this so early is make everyone a squires out of your starting chemists, and then remove the actual squires from your party. Purchase squires from the soldier office that align good zodiac. The new squires should have enough points from chemist to have potion and phoenix down skills available.

Do the squire job on everyone (including ramza) until they get accumulate and get jp up (yell also for ramza). I then level chemistry till level 4. After that its pretty fast splitting your party for Wizards and priests to level 4 (purchase frog and holy once pl'ed), when you get to time mages and oracles you should switch ramza to knight>monk until you get time mages and oracles to level 4/5 so you everyone (including ramza) can purchase teleport and foxbird.

Level your guys as calculators (Ramza still a monk with squire subjob) until all 5 people get get exp up (should be by job level 3). This can be pretty fast if you do a cross formation in manalia and heal and yell your party. I am at lvl 13 at this point.

My next steps is archer 4, knight 4, (monk will already be lvl 4 for everyone, 8 for ramza), Geomancer 4, and then you can get ninja. I think that will be lvl 25 or so. Basically I will play until barius hills (the one with water fall) mediate a squid into my group, breed him until i get the one with level blast, and then go back to Mandalia and level and delevel until ramza he has super speed.

Then I will put him back in the game at lvl 10 but as a Squire/Monk with Counter Flood (I love the status effects), two swords and teleport.

Does anyone know if height is a factor in how far you can teleport?

This post has been edited by Blackie_Chan on 21st May 2010 18:26
Post #185741
Posted: 24th May 2010 15:17

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Blackie_Chan @ 21st May 2010 18:25)
Does anyone know if height is a factor in how far you can teleport?

no height is not a factor in teleporting, only your current move number and the distance you're going to teleport. for every extra squares you go over, the sucess percentage decreases by 10%

--------------------
In order to find your oppenent's weakness, you must first learn their pattern. Once you know their pattern, you can build a counter strategy.
Post #185792
Posted: 8th June 2010 19:38

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Man. I'm to the battle with Balk (or whatever he's called on PSP, I can never recall) on my way to the final battle, and it's reminded me how tough it can be when you don't have many powerful ranged attacks. The setup of the map makes it so all three Hydra-class enemies can reach you all at once, and some bad luck with their triple attacks can ruin just about anyone's day at level 40.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #185950
Posted: 10th June 2010 05:07

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Illyrias_Acolyte @ 12th June 2009 17:06)
Opinions on this seem to vary more than I thought they would (every walkthrougher has his own opinion), but the battle that's caused me to throw my controller the most was the Golgorand Execution Site (or the Gollgada Gallows, or however you want to refer to it). Strangely, the one-on-one with Weigraf has never given me as much grief as Gaff's dark swordskills. You're outmanned, outgunned, and generally outclassed in many ways.

That's if we're talking about actual victory. The fight with Elmdore and his ladies is easily the most infuriating if you're trying to steal the Genji equipment, bar none.

I didn't have much trouble stealing the Genji gear... Even if Elmdor is immune to Chicken, he's still a wuss with 0 Brave.

'Course, his constant teleporting does become a bit annoying, but it's hardly a matter for throwing the controller.

--------------------
I can't think of anything to say, really, except... I think it's nice... Ha ha ha!
Post #185962
Posted: 10th June 2010 17:16

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Quote (Shinryu @ 26th January 2010 21:22)
Gate of Lionel?

Holy. Gafgarion dies.

Wiegraf? Cake.

Wizard w/ White Magic, Two Swords.

Wizard Rod, Wizard Rod, Holy Miter, Wizard Robe, Magic Gauntlet.

Cast Holy on him once. End battle. Have a Monk use Chakra on him at the start of Velius fight, cast Holy again.

Have fun waiting 9 turns for Holy to pop on Gaf while he's busy Night and Dark swording you to oblivion. Same applies to Weigraf. A strategy that leaves you open to tons of hits might work when you use a GS with Inf HP turned on, but real world, these would both fail hard. Never leave yourself open to get pounded.

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #185969
Posted: 30th January 2015 07:26

Cactuar

Awards:
Depends what I'm doing.

The first time through Riovanes sticks out in my mind. Grinded Lancers with level 8 and height 8 ability with auto-potions. Velius had to many spread out targets to try and kill if auto potion didn't trigger.

Item or Steal is my secondary ability in a normal game. Before Math Skill becomes useful.

The games wasn't super hard for me in the early years.

This post has been edited by Eagle Caller on 30th January 2015 07:28

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #208130
Posted: 15th February 2015 05:07
Returner

I think Roof of Riovaness is hard since it hard to keep Rafa alive while we try to steal for Celia and Lede
Post #208188
Posted: 13th May 2016 02:09

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I happened to think of this thread earlier because I know of a couple folks (one of whom was mentioning it in chat earlier just tonight) who put the game down due to the sheer frustration of being a new player and reaching the difficulty spike at Dorter in chapter one. If you're not prepared for it, that is one tough battle, and I think it's worth giving it some anti-love for that fact. smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #210833
Posted: 13th May 2016 04:03

Black Mage

Awards:
The roof @ Riovanes castle. Inside Riovanes, a simple change of equipment to counteract any status effects erases most of the difficulty there. On the roof, however, it's a crapshoot. Either Rafa moves toward your party and the battle is winnable, or she moves toward the Marquis- where she's instantly killed. This is determined by RNG, and frustrates me to no end.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #210834
Posted: 13th May 2016 04:04

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Dorter did ramp it up. But i never found that fight too hard. The roof of Riovanes was rough as it was and planning to do some stealing was even rougher. Until my knights land a couple speed down strikes on them that is but getting to that point was rough.
It was mostly early game fights that where rough. By late game there wasn't anything i couldn't handle. I've always been disappointed that there isn't some super boss at the end game to bring some real challenge to the pros of this game. I played the psp rerelease hoping that one would be among the extra content on the game. sad.gif This game has a special place in my memory. Of Joy, Pride, Disappointment, and frustration all at the same time.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #210835
Posted: 4th December 2017 08:24

Cactuar

Awards:
I know I posted a long time ago but lets look at the criteria for difficulty.

-When you try to blitz the game it could be hard early on for the first few battles. You might have to reset to get the quickest time because you leveled/learned incorrectly. But not too hard once you get going I'd imagine.

-Single class character with no secondary abilities and same class support ability. I think this makes Monks, Chemists, and the Priest stronger. I have limited experience beating an entire run with one character but I think also a Summoner might be able to do it. Easier once you level up of course.

-Flawless game that I recently did. Every battle is a little tense. You have to go carefully through the game knowing that any battle could be a characters last. Except Ramza of course. All the recovery options are your best friends and there's no shame in leveling up and learning job abilities for this type of game completion.

These are my main three. If you go through the game normally meaning leveling up regularly and learning the right abilities it isn't too hard. It depends on your set up in a normal game. Play the battle to your characters strengths.

This post has been edited by Eagle Caller on 4th December 2017 08:26

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #214073
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: