CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy 1 & 2 PSX

Posted: 28th July 2002 17:34

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Anyone know if we're getting this in the States yet?

If so, I am buying that the day it comes out. Final Fantasy 1 kicks ass.
Post #185
Posted: 29th July 2002 00:56

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
i hope it comes out here. it's been ages since i've played FF1. and it's for playstation and NOT PS2... which I still don't have. '>_<' [or is it and i'm SoL?] anyway, either way, i'm looking forward to this.

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #198
Posted: 29th July 2002 01:09

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I think they will release it here, because not many people have played FF2j, and it'll be like FF5 (a whole new game, recently translated, etc) and will make Square a bunch of money in the States. I'm glad it's going to be for the PSone. After all, they pretty much stopped making games for the PSone, much less FF games, and I don't have a PS2.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #204
Posted: 29th July 2002 05:38

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
I doubt it will make loads of money. I think Square is releasing this bad boy to 1) Make everyone forget about the F11 mishap and 2) For nostalgia reasons, those hardcore fans like me will eat it up.
Post #226
Posted: 29th July 2002 17:13

Crusader

Awards:
Maybe not loads of money, but quite a bit, from hardcore fans, as you said. And a lot of newbies will wanna try the older ones, especially newer fans of FF4-6 who have only played the Anthology/Chronicles version and wanna check out the ones that started it all (and have no idea what an emulator is '^_^').

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #251
Posted: 29th July 2002 18:59

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Wow, that's a lot of variables pal. '^_^'

I think it will do well with sales in Japan, because it's got a lot more history there, and it will probably do AWFUL in sales here, but it wil still be much appreciated by the hardcore FF fans of the West.
Post #262
Posted: 11th August 2002 23:45
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Honestly, it's probably better if they don't send it over.  Fans of the FF7-style game will wonder what's the point to the games, and any "hard-core" fans already own the games, anyway, either untranslated, bought in 86 or so, or via roms.  I'd like to see it come stateside, but they won't make any money off it.

--------------------
i see you've set this time aside to humiliate yourself in public.
Post #977
Posted: 12th August 2002 05:20

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Even though I have not finished either game, I would not purchase it.  I'm not going to pay a good amount of money to buy a game for an outdated system with even more outdated graphics, no matter how much it's beefed up from the NES.  If they're going to change the graphics, at least make them better than SNES quality.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #1009
Posted: 12th August 2002 11:25

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (vaanhalen @ 12 Aug. 2002, 00:45)
Honestly, it's probably better if they don't send it over.  Fans of the FF7-style game will wonder what's the point to the games, and any "hard-core" fans already own the games, anyway, either untranslated, bought in 86 or so, or via roms.  I'd like to see it come stateside, but they won't make any money off it.

Don't assume people who started with FF7 and still consider it best of series, like me, don't appreciate older games either.  I've never owned a NES, and FF1 has never been released in Europe.  I don't mind playing ROMs, but I know plenty of people who can't stand a keyboard/monitor and would rather play the games on a TV with a pad, even having to suffer pointless CD load times; therefore, I think there is a market for it, especially with PS2 forward-compatibility.

That said, these games would make MUCH more sense being released on the GBA.  It could surely handle the graphics (probably better than a PSX, considering it's 2D).  Plus, the GBA gets a lot more 2D output than the PS1: it's more what is expected for that console, and the graphics don't look half so backwards, even if they are a quantum leap up from the NES.
Post #1028
Posted: 12th August 2002 17:53

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Rubicant @ 29 July 2002, 00:38)
1) Make everyone forget about the F11 mishap

(*Been in information void the last three months*)

What's the FF11 mishap?

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #1042
Posted: 12th August 2002 18:32
Engineer

Awards:
I think Rubes is just expressing his dislike. :rolleyes:

of course I remember that FF11 launched in exacly the same way as EVERY single MMORPG to date. (in other words, servers crashed,  Accounts were lost, all kind of good shit.)

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #1044
Posted: 12th August 2002 19:08

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
*Also must be in an information void*

FF11 launched? When did that happen?

Anyways, I'm gonna have to agree with Neal and say I'd only get it if the graphics were much better and they at least did something to make it more "buyable". I could stand playing some simple game for maybe an hour or so. Then I'd realize how much more fun I could be having if I bought a newer, more interesting game. I wasted my money on some game people where playing 15 years ago, while my friends are playing something awesome.
If I absolutely wanted to play it, I'd just go with a ROM.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #1049
Posted: 12th August 2002 19:15

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
FF11 was launched in Japan.  According to RPGamer, the Japan release date was 5.16.2002, so it sounds like it was released entirely.

--------------------
Post #1050
Posted: 13th August 2002 19:38

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
The 'mishap' I mentioned was that the server was busted and all sorts of bad things were happening with its online end when it launched in Japan. I've NEVER played a MMORPG, and FFXI will probably be my first, so the server BETTER work when it comes out here!
Post #1068
Posted: 14th August 2002 00:02

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
What does MMO stand for out of curiosity?

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #1079
Posted: 14th August 2002 03:27

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
Massive Multiplayer Online.

--------------------
Post #1080
Posted: 14th August 2002 04:46
Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Rubicant @ 13 Aug. 2002, 14:38)
The 'mishap' I mentioned was that the server was busted and all sorts of bad things were happening with its online end when it launched in Japan. I've NEVER played a MMORPG, and FFXI will probably be my first, so the server BETTER work when it comes out here!

<---- surviver of 3 Everquest launches (kunark, Vellious, and SoL)

The day FF11 comes out there will be a patch.  after you have downloaded it (won't be too long, since FF11 is broadband only),  you'll be lucky if you will be able to log in, thanks to the massive "let's check it out" traffic.

And that's if the geeks that Square USA hires to run the servers don't screw up.

Give it a month before you throw it away.

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #1081
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: