CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Chrono Trigger

Posted: 30th November 2008 05:46

Returner

Who here likes Chrono Trigger?
For me, it's my favorite RPG, FF6 being my second, and Earthbound being the third.
Post #173521
Posted: 30th November 2008 16:58

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
...It's Chrono Trigger.

It was, is and will be one of my absolute favorite games.

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #173524
Posted: 30th November 2008 19:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Chrono Triggers awesome! It such a rad game... I need to finish it someday.

--------------------
*Sigh*....Times are tough
Post #173525
Posted: 2nd December 2008 02:20

Engineer

Awards:
I enjoyed it. The characters were cool (except for Chrono, who was just kind of there) and the combining attacks (I don't remember the proper name) was a great idea.

If I had the time I would try to find the different endings, but once I finished it last year, I put it down.

--------------------
Post #173571
Posted: 2nd December 2008 03:29

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm sure there's another topic for this, but I'll bite anyway. Chrono Trigger is tied with Skies of Arcadia as my favorite RPG. Fantastic, fantastic game.

--------------------
Post #173576
Posted: 2nd December 2008 05:04

Black Waltz

Awards:
Chrono Trigger, lets see what I have to say about this 16-bit rpg. It's the best. I love everything about it, the story, the grafics, the gameplay, and of course , the characters.

In my honest opinion it was square at it's best.

--------------------
"You know that feeling you get when you're on a merry go 'round, and you want to jump off to make the spinning stop, but you know it'll suck when you land? I feel like that all the time"- Keno

"I stab my girl until I fall down"
-Yukari
Do you like Horny Bunnies?
Post #173579
Posted: 2nd December 2008 22:59

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I loved it. For me, it seems to be a perfect formula for a game. There's a good story (that doesn't beat the dead horse), some fun characters, the worlds are great, and the side quests feel relevent while being managable. It's one of my top favorite games, no doubt.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #173611
Posted: 3rd December 2008 00:13

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
It's in my highest tier of gaming, along with only two other games. I have probably played through Chrono Trigger start-to-finish than any other game.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #173621
Posted: 3rd December 2008 13:20

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Winner of CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. 
An awesome game, it's pretty hard to describe why I like it, though... It had some awesome characters (Frog, Robo..) and some which I found annoying (Crono, Marle) but all in all, a great game.
Post #173626
Posted: 5th December 2008 15:50

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Neal @ 3rd December 2008 00:13)
It's in my highest tier of gaming, along with only two other games. I have probably played through Chrono Trigger start-to-finish than any other game.

i was wondering, what exactly is the highest selling point?

ive been wondering whether i should try it or not. ive always been a FFVI guy, which has the best story ive ever heard in a video game. but i always hear people say that Chrono Trigger is up there, or even rivals VI.

i guess what im saying is, do you all recommend it to me? i am sort of a story player, but if the gameplay is fun i would like to try it.

--------------------
Post #173678
Posted: 5th December 2008 22:22

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoNCAA, 2011. Third place in CoN World Cup, 2010. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2005. 
chrono trigger has an AMAZING story and the gameplay is almost flawless in my opinion. Ive love FFVI since I first played it as a kid, but CT easily rivals it. Despite my FF favoritism, in this case, I think there are some aspects of CT that surpass FFVI. Overall though, they're just about tied in my book.

--------------------

"The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Post #173695
Posted: 5th December 2008 22:59

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
OK, I'll bite, as usual, and go against the grain since almost every reply has been "best RPG ever."

Chrono Trigger is a great game. I really enjoyed playing it, and it's certainly a top-tier RPG from one of Square's best eras. But there are two things that keep it from being my favorite and on-par with something like FFVI: 1) too short; 2) lack of replay value. Now I'm sure one of many people will flip out at "lack of replay value" and shout about how awesome New Game + is. But the problem, for me, with new game + is that the enemies never got any harder. Fishing for multiple endings was awesome, but having to fight multiple battles against super-weak enemies I can beat with one spell got a little tedious and I just stopped playing after awhile. At some point, starting a straight up "new game" was more fun for me than "new game +."
Post #173700
Posted: 7th December 2008 03:40

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (MetroidMorphBall @ 5th December 2008 22:59)
OK, I'll bite, as usual, and go against the grain since almost every reply has been "best RPG ever."

Chrono Trigger is a great game. I really enjoyed playing it, and it's certainly a top-tier RPG from one of Square's best eras. But there are two things that keep it from being my favorite and on-par with something like FFVI: 1) too short; 2) lack of replay value. Now I'm sure one of many people will flip out at "lack of replay value" and shout about how awesome New Game + is. But the problem, for me, with new game + is that the enemies never got any harder. Fishing for multiple endings was awesome, but having to fight multiple battles against super-weak enemies I can beat with one spell got a little tedious and I just stopped playing after awhile. At some point, starting a straight up "new game" was more fun for me than "new game +."

is new game + like what Super Mario Advance does?

--------------------
Post #173729
Posted: 7th December 2008 04:00

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Super Mario Advance? A New Game + is starting a new game with the same character levels, skills, and items that you beat the game with. I just started a New Game + on Chrono Trigger DS, so now I have a new game with Crono at level 61, his best equipment, and an inventory full of late-game items.

--------------------
Post #173730
Posted: 7th December 2008 05:25

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Ok from everyone's posts so far i'm sort of divided over if I should buy this game. So far I've heard that its totally awesome at everything and rivals even FF6 but its a short game. My worst feeling is beating a game in two weeks, if its that short should I still buy it for the lifetime experience or should I just borrow it from someone?
Post #173732
Posted: 7th December 2008 06:00

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (iamanoob @ 6th December 2008 21:25)
Ok from everyone's posts so far i'm sort of divided over if I should buy this game.  So far I've heard that its totally awesome at everything and rivals even FF6 but its a short game.  My worst feeling is beating a game in two weeks, if its that short should I still buy it for the lifetime experience or should I just borrow it from someone?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game just like everyone else. But yeah, I would say you could beat it in two weeks easily. Some people have lots of fun w/ new game + and the multiple endings are kind of neat but, like I said, the enemies don't get any harder and so that made being ridiculously leveled up kind of boring for me.

If you're uncertain, I'd say rent it or borrow it from a friend before you shell out $50+. But if you decide to just buy it, I'd say there's a good chance you'll like it. It's still a really fun game.
Post #173733
Posted: 7th December 2008 16:06

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
For what it's worth, the new DS version is much less than $50. wink.gif

See?

I'm not going to lie, I've never actually finished CT myself. I got close many years ago, and have another playthrough stagnating as we speak. However, it really is an enjoyable game, for my two cents; I'm not convinced it's the best Square RPG, or even the best Square SNES RPG, but it's certainly worth a play to me.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #173735
Posted: 7th December 2008 20:57

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Thx R51 and MetroidMorph ball and you've made my thoughts more clear. (And if I do buy it I'll be sure to use AmaCoN smile.gif )
Post #173736
Posted: 18th December 2008 20:46

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
So they shut down those guys making that uber-cool 3-D remake then turn around and give us this rehashed DS crap? I mean, it's Chrono Trigger, thus making it inherently awesome, but c'mon! I'm definitely not gonna shell out 40 bucks for a new dungeon that's tacked on to the end.

I really hate being excessively negative, and sure Squenix is in the business to make money, but they can do MUCH better than this. I'm just waiting to see how long it takes 'em to make their own 3-D re-re-release.

I love those old school games to death, but the way they keep reissuing them with 20 minutes of 'bonus' gameplay is really just starting to get insulting. (I know I don't have to buy them, and I don't, but that's not the point) Either give it the FFIVDS treatment or let it R.I.P.

I'm sorry if this degenerated into a rant, but I just felt I needed to vent that somewhere.

--------------------
No matter how hard I try, I just can't get worried about it!
Post #173968
Posted: 18th December 2008 20:54

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (Doughboyjones @ 18th December 2008 20:46)
So they shut down those guys making that uber-cool 3-D remake then turn around and give us this rehashed DS crap? I mean, it's Chrono Trigger, thus making it inherently awesome, but c'mon! I'm definitely not gonna shell out 40 bucks for a new dungeon that's tacked on to the end.

I really hate being excessively negative, and sure Squenix is in the business to make money, but they can do MUCH better than this. I'm just waiting to see how long it takes 'em to make their own 3-D re-re-release.

I love those old school games to death, but the way they keep reissuing them with 20 minutes of 'bonus' gameplay is really just starting to get insulting. (I know I don't have to buy them, and I don't, but that's not the point) Either give it the FFIVDS treatment or let it R.I.P.

I'm sorry if this degenerated into a rant, but I just felt I needed to vent that somewhere.

Yes.... Give it the FFIVDS treatment or let it never ever be release here in Europe meaning us here can never play it

You sir are a true samaritan

I'm personally excited about being able to actually.... y'know.... play it so I'm eagerly awaiting the release
Post #173969
Posted: 18th December 2008 21:20

Onion Knight

Awards:
You guys never got it?

--------------------
Post #173971
Posted: 18th December 2008 21:41

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Doughboyjones @ 18th December 2008 16:20)
You guys never got it?

No, this is the first release ever for Europe. And it's the first release in the gaming lifetime of a lot of people - it might not be the 3D game you wanted, but it's still a pretty big deal, you know?

Edit
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure I disagree with you, heh. But it does have its place for some.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 18th December 2008 23:01

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #173975
Posted: 18th December 2008 22:33

Onion Knight

Awards:
Ok, I'll admit what I said was a tad harsh. I'm in no way against keeping a good game going, and I'm even less against introducing it to gamers who've never had the chance before. But my quarrel seems to be misunderstood.

Really, my problem revolves around the fact that Squenix has gotten to the point of basically saying 'Hm, here's something we've been sitting on for a decade, let's make another quick buck off of it' instead of 'Hey. let's do something interesting with it' So they put some 14 year old software on a DS card and charge $40 because, hey, why not? Our rabid fans would buy a dog turd if it had a chocobo costume on it. But we're the ones getting the deal apparently, because it has a couple of tedious dungeons and some ridiculously powerful weapons tossed in. Anymore I'm just feeling insulted.

All I was trying to say was they've had more than ample time to tinker around with it, compounded by the fact that the DS hardware is a fine opportunity really snazz it up, but they just dropped the ball in favor of the same old thing. There's not even anything wrong with the same old thing, just quit making it so obvious that all you want is for us to throw money at you, Squenix.

It was wrong of me take out my frustration with corporate greed on Chrono Trigger and you have my apologies.

--------------------
Post #173976
Posted: 18th December 2008 23:02

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Doughboyjones @ 18th December 2008 18:33)
Ok, I'll admit what I said was a tad harsh. I'm in no way against keeping a good game going, and I'm even less against introducing it to gamers who've never had the chance before. But my quarrel seems to be misunderstood.

Really, my problem revolves around the fact that Squenix has gotten to the point of basically saying 'Hm, here's something we've been sitting on for a decade, let's make another quick buck off of it' instead of 'Hey. let's do something interesting with it' So they put some 14 year old software on a DS card and charge $40 because, hey, why not? Our rabid fans would buy a dog turd if it had a chocobo costume on it. But we're the ones getting the deal apparently, because it has a couple of tedious dungeons and some ridiculously powerful weapons tossed in. Anymore I'm just feeling insulted.

All I was trying to say was they've had more than ample time to tinker around with it, compounded by the fact that the DS hardware is a fine opportunity really snazz it up, but they just dropped the ball in favor of the same old thing. There's not even anything wrong with the same old thing, just quit making it so obvious that all you want is for us to throw money at you, Squenix.

It was wrong of me take out my frustration with corporate greed on Chrono Trigger and you have my apologies.

Considering the fact that they basically added the PSX anime clips without the lag, offer up a new translation as well as add content to clarify the huge gap between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, I'd hardly just call it a straight port, or a "turd in a chocobo costume" as you put it. On top of that, just the idea of having Chrono Trigger in a portable medium is a great benefit to have. Not to mention implementing the DS controls, improved menu-system and upgrading the ATB.

While yes, it was probably done to capitalize on the ever-present popularity of the game, it's not something that Square needed to do, especially not with all the other projects on the table right now. Besides, offering up the same game but in 3-D is really no different than giving us a port on another system; you're still getting the same material, just through a different aesthetic.

Personally, I enjoy the bonus content and would've dropped the cash to buy this game even without it.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #173982
Posted: 19th December 2008 08:51

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Personally, since the majority of the game is unchanged from the original and PSX versions, I think that 20-30 dollars would be more appropriate =/
Post #173991
Posted: 19th December 2008 20:07

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I think that it was an ok idea but it could have been expanded on. The reason its good is 1) Portable system 2) Newer system so you dont have to buy a older system or illegally download a mod off the internet 3) Get some money quickly and help with the square enix budget

But the problem with this involves the gamers who have already played through the game. They should have taken a little consideration for all the people who love and enjoy chrono trigger and wish to play it again with tons of new features not just a few.
Post #174011
Posted: 27th December 2008 20:35

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
The first and last time I fell for one of Squenix's re-releases is when FF Anthology came out, advertised with "cool new FMVs!" Which turned out to be a grand total of, what, three between both games? That meant the only thing distinguishing it from the original was the FFVI beastiary and long load times.

I won't buy any of these "new content" releases unless it's really a redesign like FFIII DS or the upcoming FFIV. But, I'll say this: besides people in Europe getting to play it for the first time (which I'm surprised to hear!) it also does give younger kids a chance to play these classic games. Little kids don't have much incentive to dig up CT on either SNES or a ROM, but when it's packaged as a sort of new release they might pick it up. I'm happy it gives the younger generation a chance to play a classic game.
Post #174316
Posted: 28th December 2008 23:00

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (MetroidMorphBall @ 27th December 2008 20:35)
The first and last time I fell for one of Squenix's re-releases is when FF Anthology came out, advertised with "cool new FMVs!" Which turned out to be a grand total of, what, three between both games? That meant the only thing distinguishing it from the original was the FFVI beastiary and long load times.

I won't buy any of these "new content" releases unless it's really a redesign like FFIII DS or the upcoming FFIV. But, I'll say this: besides people in Europe getting to play it for the first time (which I'm surprised to hear!) it also does give younger kids a chance to play these classic games. Little kids don't have much incentive to dig up CT on either SNES or a ROM, but when it's packaged as a sort of new release they might pick it up. I'm happy it gives the younger generation a chance to play a classic game.

Yeah, that's always disappointing.

--------------------
Post #174354
Posted: 29th December 2008 20:29

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Doughboyjones @ 18th December 2008 16:46)

Personally, my opinion as a fan is that, if they're gonna shut down the 3D fan remake, they'd BETTER be brewing up a 3D remake of their own.

If not, then they suck.

Edit
And it's not like they don't have a record for sucking anyway. See the PlayStation remakes--loading times, sparse cutscenes, and poor translations.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 29th December 2008 20:30

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #174371
Posted: 29th December 2008 21:47

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I don't want to come across as one fo those rabid SquareEnix fans who says the company can do no wrong, but I'm feeling like some of you are being a little overcritical.

The game is what it is. Yes, it's a cash grab, tyring to capitalize on the popularity of the game. But making money is the bottom line. They're also showing a whole new generation the amazing-ness of ChronoTrigger. Just like they did with FFVI Advance.

Square is building brand-awareness. They have to struggle to keep new customers joining the FF RPG cult. First person shooters are the Genre of the day. More action, more blood, more gore. All of us are getting older. We will need to be replaced at some point.

All that, achieved by re-releasing one of the greastest games of all time on a new platform with some(if minimal) added content...Well, that's fine with me.

As an added bonus, if the game sees some success maybe we'll see a new Chrono game. Can you imagine the possibilities on the PS3? It would be awesome.

--------------------
Sabin: Kefka! Wait!
Kefka: Wait he says! Do I look like a waiter?
Post #174376
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: