CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
FFT's gameplay...

Posted: 19th December 2010 14:42

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
...was kind of disappointing to me. I know it's "acclaimed" and "in-depth", but it was just slow and clunky to me.

Maybe it's because I played Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (is it Afternoon or Hour of Darkness?) on the PSP about a month before I got Tactics. In comparison, FFT just seems... boring. I feel the same way about Jeanne D'Arc, another well-received game. It's gameplay just seemed too slow and harder to use. I've always liked Disgaea better.

I know they're two totally different games, but is there any way to revive my inner FF? Or do I have to get an entire new game? If so, any suggestions? ...Or should I just keep playing Disgaea? I've got a bad case of the Tactics blues. :/

--------------------
ENUO > you. It's just a proven fact.

Why should the aged angel stretch its wings?
Post #191306
Posted: 19th December 2010 17:52

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
If you think that FF Tactics is slow and clunky, try playing Tactics Ogre!

Bu really, yeah, the game's engine isn't the best, but it's passable, at least to me. The reason it's so acclaimed from me, and I assume most other fans, is that the story is so good that it transcends the mediocre engine (a feeling I get with Chrono Cross as well, though replace 'mediocre' with 'bad'). To me at least, the slowness of the battles fade when you just want to get through them to see the next scene of the story. While I don't doubt there are those out there who love the engine, it's not the reason that the game is in my top 5.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #191310
Posted: 20th December 2010 00:51

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Funny, I actually can't wait for Tactics Ogre.

I have to agree, the story is amazing. I forced myself to play through the game at least once to finish it, and I was blown away, but the engine... yeah. Maybe I should play Chrono Cross, then.

--------------------
ENUO > you. It's just a proven fact.

Why should the aged angel stretch its wings?
Post #191332
Posted: 20th December 2010 01:13

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (SilverCrono @ 19th December 2010 19:51)
Funny, I actually can't wait for Tactics Ogre.

I have to agree, the story is amazing. I forced myself to play through the game at least once to finish it, and I was blown away, but the engine... yeah. Maybe I should play Chrono Cross, then.

Tactics Ogre is an incredible game, but it's far more clunky and awkward to play than FF Tactics, though hopefully they'll tighten up the controls for the PSP port. Chrono Cross is also among my favourite games, but it's criticized (not entirely unfairly) for having a slow, awkward combat system. Though again, the story is fantastic, so I feel that, in each of these three cases, the positives outweigh the negatives.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #191333
Posted: 20th December 2010 01:44

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
First of all, let me say that, personally, I believe a game's story should never be its only, or even its primary, draw.

Second, FFT is my absolute favorite Final Fantasy, and it's not just because of it's story. The reason why I like FFT so much is primarily cuz of its gameplay mechanics, which gave me many more options with which to customize my characters and fight battles strategically, and I think most fans would agree with me on this. I like the level of micromanagement that FFT's job system and battle mechanics provided me, but I can understand that that's not for everyone.

This post has been edited by Galsic on 20th December 2010 01:48

--------------------
Post #191334
Posted: 20th December 2010 19:10

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Even after playing a ton of SRPGs, Tactics still has my favorite mix of customization, restriction, and overall enjoyability. You might be able to "speed up" battle a bit by going into the options and taking off extraneous menus...or just steamrolling over the competition a la CT5 Holy.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #191367
Posted: 20th December 2010 19:52

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (SilverCrono @ 19th December 2010 09:42)
...was kind of disappointing to me. I know it's "acclaimed" and "in-depth", but it was just slow and clunky to me.

Maybe it's because I played Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (is it Afternoon or Hour of Darkness?) on the PSP about a month before I got Tactics. In comparison, FFT just seems... boring. I feel the same way about Jeanne D'Arc, another well-received game. It's gameplay just seemed too slow and harder to use. I've always liked Disgaea better.

I know they're two totally different games, but is there any way to revive my inner FF? Or do I have to get an entire new game? If so, any suggestions? ...Or should I just keep playing Disgaea? I've got a bad case of the Tactics blues. :/

First of all, the original PS2 English version is Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. The PSP version is called Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness. In Japan, the game translates to Netherworld Chronicle Disgaea - no fancy subtitles.

And yes, FFT moves a little slower than Disgaea. it's also about 5 years older than Disgaea, and if you're playing FFT on the PSP then there's another problem - it suffers from serious slowdown issues.

FFT competes to be my favorite Final Fantasy game, and it's what got me into other SRPGs like Fire Emblem and Disgaea. It has an extremely rich and detailed storyline with fabulous customization, while still being true to the Final Fantasy spirit. Disgaea is fun, but it's also balls to the wall crazy. I like FFT's elegance and Disgaea's insanity.

--------------------
Post #191368
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: