CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
The Secret Art of Rare Item Poaching !!!

Posted: 23rd August 2009 06:46

Returner

So I'm getting back into a New Game, and I've finally hit Chapter 2... yay poaching!

The Numbers:
1 Poached Monster 10% Chance Rare.
2 Poached Monsters19% Chance Rare.
3 Poached Monsters 27.1% Chance Rare.
4 Poached Monsters 34.39% Chance Rare.

The Time:
1 Poached Monster save/load Method - 5 mins killing, 10-20 tries: Average Total 1 Hour.
4 Poached Monster save/load Method - 7 mins killing, 1-5 tries, 5 mins breeding: Average Total 23 Minutes.

The Info:
I was number crunching, and timing how long it takes to breed lv3 tier'd monsters, and getting 4 of them to kill in one battle. As random as it is, it only takes around 5 minutes average. I suppose a trick some might not know is that you remove all tier 1 monsters so that they don't lay eggs. Tier 2 & 3 monsters only for breeding, as tier 1 only lays tier 1&2.

So, having that at hand, the normal method of getting a rare is poaching 1 at a time till you have the desired amount. (I get 5 of everything "max people per battle") So you don't waste time breeding... but you do waste time battling everytime you restart... you could do this up to 10-20 times. And only at 10% success rate.

My method, breeding 4, than going into a battle and poaching them all at once... brings your success rate up to 34%!! If you grind hard enough, you can probably have 3-4 rares in an hour depending on luck.

Only downfall is getting more than you can chew, my Agrias leads this assault and sometimes she gets owned by those pesky reviving undead or exploding bombs; cry.gif

What about you guys? How do you go about your poaching? Personally I think my way saves a lot of time doing unnecessary loading/fighting. shifty.gif

This post has been edited by Silvanoshei on 23rd August 2009 08:26
Post #180619
Posted: 23rd August 2009 17:05

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I usually do it one monster at a time since I tend to have bad luck with the breeding. When I was trying to farm elixers I was averging 15 minutes to breed 1 great malboro.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #180633
Posted: 23rd August 2009 18:11

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
My own method is similar to yours, Silvanoshei, though, on occasion, if I anticipate a difficult battle (at Barius Hill, for example), I'll reduce my party to three monsters, my leader, and Agrias (with Chantage).
Post #180635
Posted: 24th August 2009 00:23

Returner

Quote (ILoveMoombas! @ 23rd August 2009 17:05)
I usually do it one monster at a time since I tend to have bad luck with the breeding. When I was trying to farm elixers I was averging 15 minutes to breed 1 great malboro.

Which brings up an interesting point moomba. I have a feeling some monsters are harder to breed than others. I had no troubles breeding Red Chocobo's and Plagues... but when I got to Sacreds... it seemed to increase my breeding time to 7-10 minutes. In your case with Great Malboro's... I'll keep an eye out when I start breeding them to see if our times are the same.

My own method is similar to yours, Silvanoshei, though, on occasion, if I anticipate a difficult battle (at Barius Hill, for example), I'll reduce my party to three monsters, my leader, and Agrias (with Chantage).

Chantage pinch.gif ... wish I was that far, I could make good use of it... I missed my chance getting that Uribo at the swamp in chapter 2.. sad.gif 3 @ 27% isn't bad either, you're still hitting good numbers per hour doing it that way as well.

UPDATE: Well, I finally got my malboro and started to breed. From 1 normal malboro I raised 4 Ochu's asap, dicarding any further malboro's "infecting" my gene pool. I than got 4 great malboro's in around 9 minutes. So it was about the same as Sacreds. I'll keep my eye out on further breeds as the come and post.

Breeding Times: (For 4 Monsters)
Red Chocobo's & Plagues: 5-6 minutes
Great Malboro's & Sacreds: 8-10 minutes

*Note, easy to time since I save after getting an item and re-breed re-save!*

Note: Even if a breed (for 4) takes 15 minutes, you're still miles ahead of anybody doing 1 monster per battle.

This post has been edited by Silvanoshei on 24th August 2009 02:41
Post #180648
Posted: 29th August 2009 21:27

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
It has been a while since I've done any poaching, so I think I might have exagerated about how long it was taking. I think I was poaching the malboros two at a time, and it was15 minutes to breed two. I'll definitely try for at least 3 at a time if I do any more in the future.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #180840
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: