CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Holy cow my account still works!

Posted: 3rd January 2014 01:23
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I don't even remember the last time I posted here, and I just rediscovered this site because I did a google search to check if ffgurus still existed. hello I guess!

--------------------
BAWK
Post #205908
Posted: 3rd January 2014 02:12

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Yeah, FFG hasn't existed in... wow, almost four years now. We spent a little bit of time talking to them to see if they wanted any part of their site to live on through us, but I don't believe they were ever interested at all. You mentioning Googling it made me do the same - it's kind of funny that news we posted about it nearly eight years ago now outranks their old domain in a search. smile.gif

Thanks for coming back around - I think I have a vague recollection of talking with you back at FFG a long time ago. Sorry I missed you in chat earlier, I was busy working on CoN and not watching that window!

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #205909
Posted: 3rd January 2014 02:22
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I remember you and Neil, at least the names. I was in ffgurus for a few years until the forums died out, and it was only 3-4 people talking only, and it was mostly a girl from Australia.

--------------------
BAWK
Post #205910
Posted: 3rd January 2014 02:51

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I wonder if there are any other FFG expats who still read the forums from time to time? SHOW YOURSELVES!

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #205911
Posted: 3rd January 2014 11:36

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
*Slowly removes latex facial mask to accompaniment of ominous music*...

...I'm an FFG refugee. I joined up here not too long after FFG finally sank below the water, when I was looking for somewhere new to lurk. I'd fondly remembered conversations with R51 on FFG, and tbh can't work out why I didn't come along here sooner.

I don't know who you spoke to, R51, but it's a shame they weren't interested. It seems like it would have been a smart move to me, but hey. Perhaps the folks you contacted were the ones in charge, but had long since lost interest. I remember that once the initial hosting ended, a few of those who were still using the site tried to resurrect it in one form or another through alternative hostings, but it was really just death throes. I think the ultimate death knell was the fact that the forums were only really used by those who regularly chatted, and was not really FF connected any more. Unsurprisingly, media like Facebook proved to be a much easier and cheaper option for staying in touch, and that was pretty much it, I believe.

I know I'm currently still 'friends' with several members from FFG on Facebook, and I know that some others have even gone crazy and developed real-life friendships too. If anybody is interested, the last vestige of FFG does sort of live on in the form of a Facebook group - complete with a lot of real faces to put to old avatars, and the now customary tumbleweed interspersed with a bi-annual comment. It's a closed group (I just discovered by checking), but people can be invited in via email.

Heh, and the "girl from Australia" will have been Tifa Angel (or Teef). She was certainly one of the more vocal members, and was one of the ones who tried to keep it alive, I think. A bit nuts, but fairly sound.

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #205912
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: