SNES [ 7 ]  [53.85%]
GBA [ 1 ]  [7.69%]
DS [ 5 ]  [38.46%]
Total Votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 30th September 2010 00:34

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
play it on which system? I have no clue. I sold my copy of the DS remake years ago. My friend has said I could borrow his, but I can get the SNES release on VC, and I'm sure I could track down FFIV Advance on Amazon.

Also, for anyone who might wanna know why I'm playing this again, it's because I wanna give the story a second shot. I figure the reason I didn't like the first time around was because everyone I talked to about it said it was so amazing, and I might have built my expectations up too high, and now that my expectations of it have been so drastically lowered, I might enjoy it a little more.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #188000
Posted: 30th September 2010 01:18

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I'd play it on the DS remake if you want a little more of a challenge.

The 2D version is a classic and the DS remake looks nicer and has better gameplay. If I were to choose though, I'd go the DS route.

I was going to start it a few days ago, but I remembered my charger cord to my DS was chewed through by my dogs, so until I fix that, I can't really play the DS, so now I've just decided to play The After Years.

--------------------
My Final Fantasy Forum

^ Help me get started on my forum!
Post #188004
Posted: 30th September 2010 02:04

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
If you want a cheaply scripted generic JRPG, go with the first. I don't mean this to diss it--it's got its old-timey charm, with inadvertently funny moments and nostalgia value, and now that you've heard so many people talk about the game you can actually meta-enjoy it by thinking about design choices in the script, plot, setting, and gameplay while playing.

In fact, I'm considering it. That, or the GBA version or the translated original version. Don't really feel like trying the easytype version, though. In all honesty, there is a certain charm to the simplicity of simply telling Edward to throw music notes at things and being done with it, or just watching enemies fade to purple lines after Cecil does his characteristic "chi-ching". Or getting to watch the FASTEST AWESOME SPELL IN RPG HISTORY: Lit-3.

The other two versions offer perhaps more cleaned-up quality, with fewer dummied features, smoother script, and higher difficulty. If you're want a classic fantasy plot presented in a more refined, more recent style, go for either of these.

Also, by the way, I kinda hate the -ra, -raga, and -raja endings.

What version did you play originally?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #188007
Posted: 30th September 2010 02:39

Cactuar

Awards:
I played the DS version first. Right when it came out, too. smile.gif

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #188011
Posted: 30th September 2010 03:01

Engineer

Awards:
I haven't played the DS version so I can only choose between SNES and GBA, and I seem to recall the GBA version having some heinous load times, so I'm tossing my hat in the Super Nintendo lot. I'd like to try the DS version since I've heard it adds some pretty neat new strategies for the boss fights, though I have to admit from what I've seen the character models look awfully thin and emaciated...

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #188012
Posted: 30th September 2010 03:24

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
If you've already played it on the DS, you should definitely give a non-DS version a go: that is, either the original or one of the 2D ports. I've personally played it on GBA and PSX. While I haven't played the version on the SNES, I would go for that one over the GBA, just because I like the feel of playing an RPG on a console. If I play it on a handheld, I can tend to hurry through it and not pay attention as well to what's going on.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #188016
Posted: 30th September 2010 13:02

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
The GBA, despite having weird stalling issues in battle, would be my choice. The DS one is really quite nice but it feels harder to play and follow along - perhaps this is because I only ever tried it a few times, and on an emulator at that. The SNES one is great, being the original and all, but I like the additional content of the GBA one and I enjoy its portable nature.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #188028
Posted: 2nd October 2010 23:59

Cactuar

Awards:
Kay, I'm playing the DS version, and I must say that I'm liking the story more this time around. Thanks for all your help!

--------------------
Post #188097
Posted: 3rd October 2010 00:43

Behemoth

Awards:
If you can afford it, go with the original. If you can't, any other version'll due.

--------------------
Post #188098
Posted: 21st October 2010 20:41

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Hey, what about the version on the ps1 in anthologies? Why doesn't that get any love? pinch.gif

--------------------
Yours, with sarcasm,
Kjel
Post #188582
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: