CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
(Worst) Mistakes Made in FFVII or Just Bad Luck.

Posted: 16th March 2011 16:32

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
It's not a really bad one but it was VERY ANNOYING! After over an hour of game play down in the North Cave I was running around fighting for exp and ap. I had levelled up my characters alot and my materia too. I manipulated an Allemagne and decided too see what his attacks were like. I saw level 3 Flare and wondered how powerful it was and how come they never used it on my party. Unfortunately I never thought about what level my characters were. I used it and then they all died. Damn. Over an hour of play gone and wasted!! aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. pinch.gif

I also missed out on Pandora's box, the Dragon Zombie's final attack but some of that was just bad luck.

This post has been edited by FinalFantasyAoibh on 11th May 2011 19:27

--------------------
"Please don't give me all my luck now. Make it all stretch. I don't mind waiting. Make it stretch for 70 years. "
Robert Pattinson

"You just don't get it do you? There's not a thing I don't cherish!"
Cloud Strife, FFVII: AC

Games Complete: FFVII, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, FFVIII, FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIII-2
Post #193518
Posted: 16th March 2011 17:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I did a speed run a while back which relied on luck in nearly every battle. The more risk I took the shorter the time would be. But then there were times when even a reasonable chance of success just didn't work. Getting three Deathblows to hit in succession was impossible in one battle, I just couldn't do it. It's a 50/50 chance for each hit, so it seems possible, then after about 30 restarts, and over two hours play, I conceded that my luck was short for that battle and gave up. FWIW it was the Schizo Dragon in Gaea's Cliff. I could go on about more times like this, for example Schizo's fire breath hitting my character with a Fire Ring on, but there are so many examples I'll just leave it at the Deathblow as it was by far the worst run of luck I've had.

As for worst accidental mistake, it must be when named Cloud "CloudA" which annoyed me to no end throughout the game. Should've just restarted and mitigated the damage right there and then. Either that or when I used Regen on Proud Clod first time I played the game because of a slip when I was trying to select someone else. My characters were weak and I couldn't dispell it, and at the time I didn't know that Regen wears off in real time. Took me forever to beat him. Another classic slip on the controller got me to use a Hi-Potion on the wrong person when I was fighting Demon's Gate. This might not sound too bad, but it was on my speed run and up until that point all my Deathblows had hit and he hadn't used his spikes and rush in a way that I wasn't prepared for. That's about 2 hours of restarting to get to. Really gutted about that.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #193519
Posted: 22nd April 2011 12:28

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (sweetdude @ 16th March 2011 17:31)
As for worst accidental mistake, it must be when named Cloud "CloudA" which annoyed me to no end throughout the game. Should've just restarted and mitigated the damage right there and then.

Another classic slip on the controller got me to use a Hi-Potion on the wrong person when I was fighting Demon's Gate. This might not sound too bad, but it was on my speed run and up until that point all my Deathblows had hit and he hadn't used his spikes and rush in a way that I wasn't prepared for. That's about 2 hours of restarting to get to. Really gutted about that.

CloudA haha how unfortunate.

As for Demon's Gate I gave up my speed run cuz of that %&$£! My charactors were just too weak though I wasn't using Deathblow maybe that would help.

I once missed out Gongaga altogether, didn't get Deathblow/Titan materia and missed a lot of story out.
Post #194348
Posted: 22nd April 2011 18:12

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Oh gosh. This isn't FFVII-related, but it does involve some terribly bad luck. I had beaten FFX and was using my original file to go back through and pretty much do everything there was to do. This was before I'd stumbled across CoN or even played any other FFs. My file was somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 hours when my brother saved over it- everything gone. Luckily, I had made a copy of it on a friend's PS2 memory card, but that file had only about 78 hours on it. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off at my brother.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #194364
Posted: 23rd April 2011 17:23

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Death Penalty @ 22nd April 2011 19:12)
Oh gosh. This isn't FFVII-related, but it does involve some terribly bad luck. I had beaten FFX and was using my original file to go back through and pretty much do everything there was to do. This was before I'd stumbled across CoN or even played any other FFs. My file was somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 hours when my brother saved over it- everything gone. Luckily, I had made a copy of it on a friend's PS2 memory card, but that file had only about 78 hours on it. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off at my brother.

Nightmare... Speaking of FFX my friend and I had stolen his brother's 200 hour save (we were all young and protective of this kind of thing) and improved it even further, beating more Dark Aeons etc, whilst keeping the original one we stole. Then he lost it, and in a really bizarre twist of fate he thanked us a lot for stealing his save and giving it back to him. Stealing can be good!

This has nothing to do with mistakes in FFVII so let me mention the time I was on a run of poor luck in the Battle Square and was about to win all the fights and finally get W-Summon for the first time. I was against the ghost ship and he used St Elmo's fire which gave me Omnislash, however I'd used an unnecessary X-Potion before his hit and had to watch as he Goannai'd me out the fight for a total of 0 points. Never again would I use an attack on the Wait setting in a difficult situation before seeing what would happen. Seriously.

Also, mertinatron, if you're wanting to fire up that speed run again just take the 30 minute loss from doing fights in the Sephiroth room before Demon Gate. It's worth it believe me. My speed run was the most fun I've had in that game since the first and second times I played it through.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 23rd April 2011 17:24

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194385
Posted: 24th April 2011 09:03

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Not getting all the huge materia, this happened when I allowed myself to time out on the train section, thinking it'd just be a game over. ¬_¬ I didn't know that I was missing out on it forever and just carried on with the game!! This was a couple of years back so I may recall the detail slightly off.

ZOMG HUEG MATERIAZ =O =O

Other than that, putting my save point really high up in the final dungeons, after gauging incorrectly that I was around halfway down...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #194398
Posted: 11th May 2011 19:38

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
As for worst accidental mistake, it must be when named Cloud "CloudA" which annoyed me to no end throughout the game. Should've just restarted and mitigated the damage right there and then.

That would annoy me so much! pinch.gif The gap in my Enemy Skill materia is going to seriously annoy me.................... I wanted the saved file to be perfect, it's got everything else in it, even 99 of all the possible duplicable items (but I still must finish the game and level up a whole lot more but I'm getting there biggrin.gif ) sooo yeah. I'm a perfectionist.

What's a speed run? Is there a forum for that or something?

--------------------
"Please don't give me all my luck now. Make it all stretch. I don't mind waiting. Make it stretch for 70 years. "
Robert Pattinson

Games Complete: FFVII, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, FFVIII, FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIII-2
Post #194845
Posted: 11th May 2011 20:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Quote (FinalFantasyAoibh @ 11th May 2011 20:38)
What's a speed run? Is there a forum for that or something?

It's just about finishing the game in the fastest time possible. It's a lot of fun and it involves playing the game in a way that you might not have otherwise thought of. To me it felt like pushing the game to its absolute limit. You don't have to be obsessive either, it's a lot of fun however far you want to push the time limits.

If you want to have a look I would go to GameFAQs (best guide I've seen so far) and YouTube to see it in action. There are ways to improve the guide which makes it even more fun. Stand on the shoulders of giants to see further!

If you want to see some amazing speed runs in other games have a look at Speed Demos. There's one I particularly love called 'Half-Hour Half-Life' which is exactly what it says. Aside from having a great name, just watching this guy going through it is incredible. Actually I say that about all of the videos on that site, they're a joy to watch even if I haven't played the game before.

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194848
Posted: 11th May 2011 21:29

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (FinalFantasyAoibh @ 11th May 2011 19:38)
I wanted the saved file to be perfect, it's got everything else in it, even 99 of all the possible duplicable items

I hope you realise that includes every single item in the game other than:
  • Battery
  • Limit Manuals
  • Save Crystal
  • Guide Book
  • Buster Sword
  • Gatling Gun
  • Seraph Comb

If you don't believe me, check out my guide to W-Item duplication, it's not finished, but it should give some insight, enjoy wink.gif

Now, for biggest mess ups, it has to be the first time I played through, missing out on Force Stealer, and then getting no Huge Materia(only later finding that you can dig them up in Bone Village), missing out Gongaga entirely, not picking up Neo Bahamut, going straight to Demon's Gate in the Temple and just everything I did was the worst possible way of doing things.
Post #194850
Posted: 20th July 2011 23:57

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (iSeizmik @ 11th May 2011 21:29)
Quote (FinalFantasyAoibh @ 11th May 2011 19:38)
I wanted the saved file to be perfect, it's got everything else in it, even 99 of all the possible duplicable items

I hope you realise that includes every single item in the game other than:
  • Battery
  • Limit Manuals
  • Save Crystal
  • Guide Book
  • Buster Sword
  • Gatling Gun
  • Seraph Comb

Well at the time I vowed to to this I was unaware of how to manipulate the glitch in that manner, so I'll stick to what I said I will do! biggrin.gif
Thanks for the link to your W-Item duplication page, especially for the sources because that's exactly what I'm doing now!

Thank you guys for the information for the speed runs also.

As for worst mistakes, I made a few recently but can't remember what they are right now! One I do recall though:

I was fighting the Ruby weapon and had my materia organised accordingly, and had my few remaining non mastered ones equipped for the massive ap gain at the end of the fight. I was fighting away and accidentally had Tifa revived at the wrong time and Ruby took her out of the battle - there goes some of the ap. pinch.gif Then at the end I was wondering why some of my materia hadn't mastered or levelled up. I swapped them last minute because I was being particular about how it looked and put it into my ultimate weapon for Cloud, so no ap gain for me (again).
No way I was going to restart and fight her again! blink.gif

--------------------
Robert Pattinson

Post #196003
Posted: 31st July 2011 15:17

Cactuar

Awards:
When I started a new file for a speedrun, I accidentaly saved over my 100% Completed file, with the best Wall Market items, eight sets of Mastered Materia, etc. It sucked. Really bad.
Post #196400
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: