CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Trouble by SilverMaduin...

Posted: 17th February 2003 14:27

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Hey guys...errr...I'm having technichal probs with my FF5 (ROM) - it isn't finished. The talk in battle scenes is..well...blotches. I lost much, althoyugh not everything. One thing: I don't know ANYTHING 'bout Gilgamesh.  >_> Please help.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #8717
Posted: 17th February 2003 15:53

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
my FF5 game on PSX sometimes jams- but it was because the PSX overheated, and i cant find any scratches on the disc. on ps2 its fine. Its probably a flaw in your ROM- check the surface for scratches or other impurities. by ROM, i assume you mean its for a PC, yes?

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #8720
Posted: 17th February 2003 16:46

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
Quote (Del S @ 17 Feb 2003, 09:53)
my FF5 game on PSX sometimes jams- but it was because the PSX overheated, and i cant find any scratches on the disc. on ps2 its fine. Its probably a flaw in your ROM- check the surface for scratches or other impurities. by ROM, i assume you mean its for a PC, yes?

ROMs are actually illegal rips of a video game.  It's like downloading a game off the internet.  So there isn't any disc involved.

Now about the problem, I would just get a new ROM.  Unless all the FFV ROMs you find are flawed, it should be fine.  Usually you can find another, better version.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #8721
Posted: 18th February 2003 03:39

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I can send you mine but its Japenese translation. So Bartz will be named after an ass.
Post #8742
Posted: 11th March 2003 20:49

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Quote (Kappa the Imp @ 17 Feb 2003, 10:46)
Quote (Del S @ 17 Feb 2003, 09:53)

ROMs are actually illegal rips of a video game.  It's like downloading a game off the internet.  So there isn't any disc involved.

Now about the problem, I would just get a new ROM.  Unless all the FFV ROMs you find are flawed, it should be fine.  Usually you can find another, better version.

oh, sorry. i got mixed up between CD-ROMS and ROMS. I never knew that about ROMS, or that they were illegal, but then again, the closest i ever game to lawbreaking was rasping at a policeman!

I think my advice about CD-ROMS is the way to got, mind you, right?
how much space does the average ROm take up (to see if its worth putting it onto my 12 gig remaining hard drive... and the other ones still empty!)

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #9519
Posted: 11th March 2003 23:31

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Find an old review of the game you want, see if it tells you how many megabits the cartridge is.  That's how big the ROM should be.  Note that there are 8 megabits in one megabyte.

If your FF5 ROM is still playing up, why not try the one we've put on the site?
Post #9524
Posted: 23rd March 2003 04:26

Engineer

Awards:
Can't help on techie stuff...but I can try anything else!

If you're traslation sucks, like mine, get the script.  There's one on Gamefaqs.com.  I LIKE hearing the before final battle taunts.  Or when Gilgamesh does the right thing.

NOw let us have a moment of silence for poor Gilgamesh. ^_^

Okay, continue talking!

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #9900
Posted: 23rd March 2003 17:40

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
how much space does the average ROM take up (to see if its worth putting it onto my 12 gig remaining hard drive... and the other ones still empty!)

Most SNES ROMs take somewhere between .75-3MB, depending on the game, and the quality of the actual ROM. My FFV ROM is 1.43MB. The actual emulator to run the game is less than 1MB.

ROMs are actually illegal rips of a video game.

ROMs are only illegal if you don't have the original game and you keep it on your computer for more than 24 hours. They are meant as observational tools. If you own the game, you can keep it as long as you like, but the type of program can, but rarely, interfere with how anything else works, and you are not allowed to hold the website responsible if anything happens to your computer.

To answer SilverMaduin's question, the FF5 ROM you have is the older version, which wasn't translated completely. You have to find the newer version out there.
And if you find the new version...Could you tell me where? I can't find it!

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #9966
Posted: 23rd March 2003 19:01

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
As far as I know, the 24 hour rule is completely made up.  Is there a rule that you can steal from shops legally if you give it all back within a day?  Thought not.

Though US law entitles you to a backup copy of software you own, you're still on dubious legal ground downloading a ROM.  For one thing, even though it's the same game, it's not a backup copy of your original, and it could even be a slightly different version.

In any case, it's completely illegal to offer ROMs to download.  That's why there are few places to download them.  That said, we don't have any problem with the idea of people downloading ROMs to test them out, if they're going to buy the game if they like it anyway (where the game is commercially available), or to try a game or a different version of a game that isn't available commercially.  The law would disagree with us, probably even if you own the original, so don't tell the law, alright?

A ROM CANNOT harm your computer under any remotely normal circumstances.  It's executable code, yes, but not for your processor; it can only run through a virtual machine a.k.a. an emulator, a "pretend" console if you will.  The only potential damage this could cause to your system is either via a badly coded or virus infected emulator (which is nothing to with the ROM anyway) or a ROM coded to exploit a vulnerability in this emulator (and let me assure you, producing a ROM just to distribute a virus is not worth anyone's effort).

The "quality of the ROM" has almost nothing to do with file size.  You can't use lossy compression on software, it doesn't make sense.  It only relates to how much the data original cartidge chip held.  The only exception to this is slight filesize variations due to hacks, expansions, translations, bad dumps etc., in which case you could say that a bad dump is lower quality and a translation may be higher quality, but there's still no direct correlation.

I think the rest of the advice in this thread just about covers what you need to know about ROM problems.  Start a new game if save data is corrupted; if you still have problems, download the whole setup again and start from scratch.  I'll leave this open just in case anyone else has something great and insightful about ROM troubleshooting in the future.
Post #9981
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: