CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Favorite Podcasts

Posted: 14th March 2013 21:11

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
At my job I'm usually working alone, either in an office cubicle working with map software or alone in a truck performing field inspections. For the past year or so in particular I've spent most of my work days listening to podcasts when I'm at the computer or between work sites. Here are some of my favorites:

NPR

NPR has an outstanding variety of programming, with almost all of their scheduled shows available in podcast form. My favorite is the Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! news quiz, but I subscribe to Car Talk and the Diane Rehm show as well.

CBS Sports

I'm a sports fan and a pod fan, so naturally I listen to some sports pods. I like the CBS selection of writers and analysts the best (mostly because of Gary Parrish, Dennis Dodd, and Gregg Doyel, three of my preferred sportswriters), but I also listen to a few ESPN pods (namely Bill Simmons, who gets some excellent guests).

WTF with Marc Maron

A comedian's comedian, Maron's podcast is hilarious and has excellent guest appearances. I think it's the best comedy-focused pod on the net, and his episodes with Louis C.K. and Patton Oswalt are the stuff of legend.

Giant Bombcast
Low Score
Random Encounter
Games Bucket

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I listen to several gaming podcasts. The Giant Bombcast is a 2-3 hour long monster each week, with a solid panel and excellent discussion from professional game journalists. It's probably the most popular gaming podcast around, and there's a reason for it. Low Score is an unapologetic mimic of the Giant Bombcast's format, but it's hosted by two of my college buddies, one of whom is a graduate student in interactive media studies. They do a solid job. Random Encounter is the podcast for RPGFan.com - it's a good niche podcast for fans of RPGs, and it updates every two or three weeks. Games Bucket is a solid podcast that hits a variety of discussion topics in a short time each week, and half of its charismatic duo of hosts is our very own Neal.

That's not *every* pod I listen to, but I don't need to make this topic more of a wall of text than it already is. If you like listening to podcasts, then tell me what a few of your favorites are!

--------------------
Post #202740
Posted: 15th March 2013 10:19

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
I only listen to one podcast: The Writer's Almanac, hosted by Garrison Keillor. It's very brief, and consists of one poem (or a excerpt of prose) followed by anecdotes from literary history. A lovely little program.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #202742
Posted: 15th March 2013 14:23

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I get a weekly newsletter from phpclasses.com, and every now and then they'll produce a podcast whose title catches my eye. Good stuff.

I also sometimes listen to a members-only martial arts podcast. Not very often though.

I'm more of an audiobook guy myself. I love audiobooks.
Post #202744
Posted: 15th March 2013 18:40

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Wait Wait is the only one that I subscribe to, but I really don't listen to it any more and instead just catch it piecemeal over the weekend while driving. I suspect I will start listening to it more when I go back to working in an office, though, and I might well wanna pick up some new ones then too.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #202746
Posted: 2nd April 2013 03:32

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I haven't listened to many podcasts over the years, occasionally catching something on NPR for the most part, but I've recently upped my rotation to include Creative Nonfiction's PodLit, as well as Forget the Radio (unless you speak Korean, this last one won't interest you).
Post #202983
Posted: 3rd April 2013 00:56
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Pretty much the only one I'm listenin to is The Diecast.

--------------------
Post #203001
Posted: 3rd April 2013 15:27

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
I dabble in podcasts of various topics and I recently finished a short roadtrip that involved a lot of the Rooster Teeth podcast, but the only one that I can definitively recommend is ESPN's Fantasy Focus aka the 06010 hosted by Matthew Berry and Nate Ravitz. I don't tune in as much this time of year, but come football season, this is my go-to for fantasy tips and updates. Plus it's way more entertaining than the other fantasy podcasts out there. Whoa Crazy Crazy!

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #203006
Posted: 4th April 2013 03:27

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
I gots me a few nowadays, and hope to be adding the CoNCast to my list once you get a few episodes deep and start hosting them for subscription to!

Anyways, like lasz, I'm an RPGFan fan and indulge in the Random Encounter podcast, and their newer music-centric one, Rhythm Encounter.

Also loves me the antics of Rooster Teeth, cause they're just silly.

The D&D nerd in me loves Major Spoiler's Critical Hits podcast following their well-played D&D adventures.

Lastly, my friend's podcast Brent and Morgan Are Huge Nerds is exactly what you'd expect it to be, and they're good times. Plus, I was featured on the Adventure Time episode, so that adds to my love of it!

As it is, I'm super behind on ALL of these and just got into podcasts in the past couple years, so I'm likely not going all the way back to listen to every one of their past episodes. I had originally wanted to but kinda' went, "Uh, nope! Ain't no time for that!" so here I am!

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #203012
Posted: 31st May 2013 11:01

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I don't really seek out podcasts but back at my old job my friend used to load up Drabblecast and we'd listen to that while we worked (doing data entry).

I started listening to Concast when Lasz told me about it. I guess since that's the only one I currently listen to, that makes it my favorite. Maybe I should started looking into others. . .

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #203484
Posted: 2nd June 2013 06:57

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Prairie Home Companion are nice radio shows, and I really like WWDTM, but I don't go out of my way to get their podcasts.

I currently only do that for CoNCast. Which is the first podcast I've actually kept on listening to. And I like it so far.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 2nd June 2013 06:57

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #203491
Posted: 8th July 2013 18:29

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I know that I'm probably the only Giant Bombcast listener on this site, but I still feel like I want to share this news: Ryan Davis passed away. Davis was a senior editor at Giant Bomb and the host of the Bombcast. He was absolutely one of the best in the business at finding a mix of voices and balancing those voices, getting the most out of each panelist and never letting someone take over the conversation or fall into the shadows. Like many radio and podcast personalities, Davis was beloved by his listeners. He died at age 34 while on his honeymoon, only a few weeks after marrying his longtime girlfriend.

http://www.thanksryan.com/

--------------------
Post #203831
Posted: 10th July 2013 08:10

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
Quote (laszlow @ 8th July 2013 12:29)
I know that I'm probably the only Giant Bombcast listener on this site, but I still feel like I want to share this news: Ryan Davis passed away. Davis was a senior editor at Giant Bomb and the host of the Bombcast. He was absolutely one of the best in the business at finding a mix of voices and balancing those voices, getting the most out of each panelist and never letting someone take over the conversation or fall into the shadows. Like many radio and podcast personalities, Davis was beloved by his listeners. He died at age 34 while on his honeymoon, only a few weeks after marrying his longtime girlfriend.

http://www.thanksryan.com/

fellow longtime listener here, this is easily one of the most heartbreaking deaths I could imagine outside of the circle of my family and friends. I've literally listened to him talk for hundreds of hours; I can't even imagine the crater he left in the lives of those who knew him personally.

--------------------
"We're not tools of the government or anyone else. Fighting... fighting was the only thing I was ever good at, but at least I always fought for what I believed in." - Frank Yeager (a.k.a. Grey Fox)
Post #203835
Posted: 11th November 2021 08:34
Group Icon
Returner

I love listening to The Minimalists podcast where they talk about living a meaningful life with less. It is very easy to listen to, has no ads in between and leaves you feeling positive and relaxed.
Post #216707
Posted: 12th November 2021 04:38

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Louder with Crowder and Censored.TV’s Get off my lawn

Though I have to listen to leftist podcasts due to being a political operative for the left and having to make sure our message is sync with the group think.

This post has been edited by His Shadow on 12th November 2021 09:00

--------------------
His Divine Shadow

Got Lexx?

Click to vist FFF.

Post #216709
Posted: 12th November 2021 21:00

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (His Shadow @ 11th November 2021 23:38)
Though I have to listen to leftist podcasts due to being a political operative for the left and having to make sure our message is sync with the group think.

lolwut???

Anyway, I miss CoNCast.

It was the only podcast I ever listened to lol.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #216710
Posted: 26th November 2021 16:06

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
So, I don't like horror movies at all but horror stories are a different thing entirely. I recommend The No Sleep Podscast for some great stories. I also recommend Old Gods of Appalachia and The White Vault for a more continuous audio drama type story.

No Sleep

Old Gods of Appalachia

The White Vault

This post has been edited by St Khael on 26th November 2021 16:08

--------------------
Check out the Magicite Menagerie!

Retro gaming cosplayer with a focus on Terra Branford.
Post #216729
Posted: 28th November 2021 16:26

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I never really thought I'd comment on this thread, because prior to last week I'd never listened to a full episode of any podcast. However, I love the show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and this month Charlie Day, Glenn Howerton, and Rob McElhenney have put out a few episodes of the new It's Always Sunny Podcast, which I really like. It's maybe 20-30% show related, and the rest is stories about their lives and careers. They're very funny people even out of character. I'll be following it in the future!

--------------------
Squenix games completed:

FFIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFVII
FFIX
FFX
FF Tactics: Advance 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest 11
Super Mario RPG
Post #216730
Posted: 10th December 2021 22:45

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I haven't posted in this thread in close to a decade. I still don't really listen to many podcasts because I still work from home and I more often have nothing on or a TV on rather than audio these days, but I have recently listened to these:
  • NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, as mentioned above
  • NPR's Ask Me Another, another trivia show/podcast where one of the cohosts was nerd hero Jonathan Coulton. This one ended earlier this year, but back episodes are being republished now.
  • That Peter Crouch Podcast, a BBC podcast about professional soccer, specifically in England. If you're a soccer fan, this one is really great because it's got a lot of great stories and insight and is frequently hilarious.

I also just started listening to My Favorite Murder, after getting glowing recommendations in Discord from a couple folks. It's comedy true crime! Amazing.

Also, seconded GMH's "lolwut???" The first part of trying to make a clever political point is the "clever" part.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 10th December 2021 22:46

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #216743
Posted: 14th December 2021 20:17

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I do listen to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me but only on the radio.

In fact I listen to a variety of NPR things, but only on the radio, because I generally listen to the radio when I drive. These include:
* Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
* Marketplace
* local station stuff like Sundial, the Florida Roundup, and Evening Jazz with Tracy Fields

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #216746
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: