CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Neverwinter Nights

Posted: 2nd September 2002 18:50

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Am I the only one who has been utterly and hopelessly captivated by this game?  I love the character customization and all the fantastic aspects of dungeon creation.  Incidentally, I'm not even a D&D fan at all (I've never had any sort of acquaintance with those vague rules until now), but this game is just too entertaining for me to pass up.

The only negative thing I can think about it are the insane system requirements.  16MB graphics card?  On my  outdated computer?!  I think not.  Even with the appropriate cards and processor, the game skips a little.  Alas.

Anyone else play it, or am I alone?

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #2025
Posted: 2nd September 2002 19:42
Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
When I felt the thirst the last few days for a fantasy surreality, I opted instead for the new Icewind Dale 2 instead of NWN for several reasons:
1.) IWD2 is a single-player game, first and foremost.  I know NO ONE who plays DND, so NWN would be kind of useless.  I know it has a single player mission set, but from most reviews I have read they play second fiddle to the multiplayer/DM/building parts.
2.) I would rather play a party game.  It makes the adventure feel more epic.  If I want to solo, I'll play a Diablo game.
3.) IWD2 makes better use of the 3rd edition DND rules than NWN.  I'm no purist, hell, I've never even played other DND other than Baldur's Gate 2, but the customization of player creation was better and I loved that idea.
4.) I got a wee expansion pack for IWD2 when I bought Warcraft III.  Yeah, I'm an idiot consumer, I know.

--------------------
I close my mouth now and I scream,
Open the door, there's nothing worth redeeming
I saw your face before in rough,
You should wait around a while, your body's bound to turn up.
So low for how high?
-Matt Good, "Running for Home"
Post #2030
Posted: 3rd September 2002 01:24

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I got NWN!  I practically spent $1150 for it though.  I got the game with my old PC, but something was horribly, horribly wrong and it was unplayable.  I thought my comp was real crappy and couldnt play it, and it had trouble with Warcraft III (TF_Evil-Eye on USEast, check me out I own at that game), so I broke down and bought a P4 2.26 GHz processor with a GeForce4 Ti-4200 video card.  As it turns out, the only real problem was my voodoo card that NWN didn't support, oh well :).  And thats why I haven't been on in a very long time

But I ramble.  NWN is a lot of fun I think, and it's an interesting change to what I was used to before (Baldur's Gate 1 & 2).  I solo the game with a paladin, and so far I'm doing pretty good.
Post #2034
Posted: 3rd September 2002 18:18

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Grrr... someone is using my avatar. I'm Sylphid! Look at my name! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Oh well.
Post #2043
Posted: 3rd September 2002 21:03
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
i have never played it. but i've seen and read reviews and i wanna play it. I WANNA I WANNA I WANNA I WANNA PLAY IT!
i tryed to download it from Kazaa but no hope. But i have to agree with you SM, it does seem very captivating.

--------------------
You were in my arms, clutching me tight
We were in the darkness, searching for light
Then you left me, all alone
To walk this world, all on my own!
--Rob--Zealous Apathy
Post #2052
Posted: 7th September 2002 15:35

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Oh, it is.  Quite so.

And, if anyone was wondering, the Dungeon Toolset is astounding, as well (this alone is the reason about half the people who purchased the game bought it at all).  The amount of freedom and customization it gives is literally amazing.  My only gripe is that it gets way too complicated at times, and I've yet to understand some of the more complex features.

My starting character was a Fighter, True Neutral (though my later actions shifted my Alignment to Neutral Good).  I've just made it into Chapter 2, and despite what many say, I find the single-player game quite interesting.

--------------------
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

~ Bruce Lee
Post #2141
Posted: 10th September 2002 03:40
Engineer

Awards:
I actually started playing this game... WOW.  I'm not one for the 3D revolution, but this game looks and plays pretty damn good.  Granted, I don't like multiplayer much, and the scripting of the single player dialogue isn't up to, say, Baldur's Gate 2, but it's still hella good.  I've got a halfling Rogue/Ranger partway through Chapter 1, and an Elven Druid just starting out.

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #2224
Posted: 19th September 2002 18:46
Returner

I got a friend from work who said he spent 12 hrs straight on this game so it has to be good.  Also I've heard that its predecessors have yet to be dissapointing.  Personally my budget doesn't allow me to play these games at the moment, no matter how much of a die hard fan I am.  But l would be looking for best comparison just to get a good idea.

--------------------
Of all the themes we could have had this is all we could come up with.
Post #2538
Posted: 27th September 2002 02:21
Engineer

Awards:
Mostly, it's a multiplayer game.  The single player is good, but not nearly on par with the Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale games.  When you get NWN, it's for the multiplayer, the dungeon master mode, or the toolkit.

Think Diablo 2 meets Dungeons and Dragons (3rd edition ruleset, which is MUCH better than 2nd edition used in BG2, though not as well implemented as in IWD2.)

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #2756
Posted: 28th September 2002 22:16

Kung Foogle

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
The single-player official module implemented in Neverwinter Nights does take a backseat to the fantastic multiplayer and dungeon creator toolset.

However, I will add that I found NWN's single-player experience almost as satisfying as that of Baldur's Gate.  Although it's not up to par, the addition of custom module creation more than makes up for it, in my opinion.

--------------------
~Dorothy L. Sayers

~T.S. Eliot

~ Bruce Lee
Post #2813
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: