Mana series, or Chrono series?
Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, etc [ 6 ]  [27.27%]
Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, etc. [ 16 ]  [72.73%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 13th September 2002 02:27

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Pick!

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #2295
Posted: 13th September 2002 12:54

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
i heart SoM. But SoE and LoM were... bleh. So the better series was the Chrono series

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #2306
Posted: 13th September 2002 13:29
Onion Knight

Awards:
For some reason i prefer LoM...maybe because of the fighting, but Chrono wasnt all that bad, both games had an interesting gameplay, but LoM is the game for me!!!

--------------------
First you live
And then you die
So **** the world
LETS GET HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Yours truly~
Post #2309
Posted: 13th September 2002 19:29

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I think it's fairly obvious which one I'd choose.

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games, period.  The gameplay, music, and even graphics were nothing short of outstanding for its time and platform.  The characters were all top-notch, from the noble Frog to the ultra-cool Magus.  Even Crono, the quintessential silent hero, was redeemed by some sweet sword moves.  The plot was captivating, light-hearted and humorous, at times playfully absurd, but still retaining an underlying seriousness to make the sentimental bits very moving.  Alternate endings and New Game+ meant finishing the RPG was just the beginning.  I don't think I'll ever remember another game like I will Chrono Trigger.  I dare not say that any one RPG was perfect, but CT came dangerously close.

Chrono Cross was a well-rounded sequel, neither as moving or as spectacular as its predecessor, but carrying a certain charm all its own.  The gameplay was pure genius, for one.  The music and graphics were excellent.  The storyline was involving and mysterious, more serious than Chrono Trigger's, but almost as satisfying.  The character development was a bit weak, sure, but it's to be expected with so many characters to choose from.  Even with the immense number of PCs, they still managed to develop some rather well (like everyone's favorite Dragoon Deva, Karsh).  And the numerous references to events in CT make the whole thing a fantastic trip.

Secret of Mana is still an incredible game, and its sequels were more than worthy to bear the Mana name.  But in the end, it just wasn't the same experience.

I'll never forget Chrono Trigger, no matter how many games I've played.  And that's why I had to choose it.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #2320
Posted: 13th September 2002 19:38

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
I refuse to say I voted for the Chrono 'series,' since CC absolutely SUCKED. But, I did like Chrono Trigger itself more than any of the 'Mana' games, so that gets my vote.
Post #2321
Posted: 13th September 2002 21:12

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Just for the record, Secret of Evermore was NOT one of the Seiken Densetsu series.  Even if it were, the SD series would still get my vote.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #2324
Posted: 13th September 2002 22:09

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
While both series were awesome, I'd have to say that the Chrono series was better.  Chrono Trigger, obviously, blew them out of water.  Chrono Cross was good, in my opinion.  I think the story was good, and the system was refreshingly new.  Of course "Mana" games were good, but "Chrono" games were just better overall.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #2329
Posted: 14th September 2002 22:24

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Hmmmmmm, good question. I'm gonna have to say, after playing Secret of Mana 2, It's the Mana series. Fun series of games with great gameplay and action. Legend of Mana stepped a bit further by the total customization of the entire game! I will give a bit to the Chrono series, tho. An excellent bit of gameplay, and great storylines as well.

Final thought: They BETTER have new Mana and Chrono games until...you get to the End of Time :p
Post #2390
Posted: 15th September 2002 06:13

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Chrono Trigger drew me in more than SoM did. When I played CT I just plain out couldn't stop, but SoM pissed me off so I quit. Hahaha. I haven't played LoM or CC, though, so... yeah.
Post #2404
Posted: 15th September 2002 23:14
Returner

Awards:
Chrono Trigger...if there where three characters that could sum up my reasoning...Frog, Crono, and the "evil" man himself, Magus.  Swish!  Swish!  Shadow!  (Note to self:  I've gotta' stop making craters...)

Secret of Mana was awesome, but I'm glad I rented the others...  :nods:

--------------------
My worst nightmare?

SQUARESOFT SURVIVOR!
OUTLIVE!
OUTSKILL!
OUTPLAY!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Note*  This sig. is meant as it sounds, because who in there right mind would want this?
Post #2425
Posted: 16th September 2002 15:57
Returner

hmm i think secret of mana was fun.. i never beat it though cuz my GAME GOT ERASED!!! the battle system was fun, a nice break from turnbased games.
legend of mana was... strange.. i rented it and the whole world is what you think it is thing was weird.  i also got stuck for a while at one point and then i had to return it.
chrono trigger was a very fun game, i probably played it for 100 hours total.  chrono cross was fun too, i played it once and beat it.  i killed the lavos-schala thing and got the good ending too..  it was fun using my favorite characters with superpowerful weapons and spells.  in chrono cross, i dont know why, i just liked the characters a lot.  but i only did it once..  i never got to ozzie slash and flea.. but it was still a lot of fun!!!!!!
                     And the winner is...
               You probably could have guessed...

CHRONO SERIES

--------------------

\    /_\  |   | \    /_\   /  _  |_
_\ /    \ |/ |__
Post #2442
Posted: 16th September 2002 17:12

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
This would be a tougher choice if Chrono Trigger wasn't the best game ever. But it is, so it carries the less-than-perfect-but-still-good Chrono Cross through. Secret of Mana is excellent as well, and I'm replaying Legend and realizing how much I like that one too, but CT is just too good for them.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #2444
Posted: 19th September 2002 18:52
Returner

The chrono series kind of puts me to sleep.  But I was highly dissapointed by the limited game play in the playstation versions of both.  I would ultamately have to go with secret of mana, in fact I enjoyed it FAR better that legend of mana.  But chrono trigger and chrono cross had completely no story line, but neither did legend of mana.  I guess its all in the story behind the characters and the plot behind the game itself.  I think secret of mana was the only one to accomplish this task so you know where I stand...

--------------------
Of all the themes we could have had this is all we could come up with.
Post #2539
Posted: 19th September 2002 19:11

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Stalker_Auldrin @ 19 Sep. 2002, 13:52)
The chrono series kind of puts me to sleep.  But I was highly dissapointed by the limited game play in the playstation versions of both.  I would ultamately have to go with secret of mana, in fact I enjoyed it FAR better that legend of mana.  But chrono trigger and chrono cross had completely no story line, but neither did legend of mana.  I guess its all in the story behind the characters and the plot behind the game itself.  I think secret of mana was the only one to accomplish this task so you know where I stand...

Well, it really would be lovely to actually hear some sort of evidence or examples for your point of view.

I can't imagine how any RPG could possibly have no  storyline whatsoever, regardless of how ridiculously shallow or pathetic the storyline might be.  Without a storyline at all, an RPG isn't really an RPG, at least not one worth mentioning.

And might I also add that though Secret of Mana was an excellent game by anyone's standards, its true strengths were in gameplay and not character development.  The characters weren't particularly creative by any means, not to mention that their personalities were on the lower end of the spectrum.  Still, the storyline was unique.  And, as mentioned before, the gameplay was a real gem.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #2541
Posted: 19th September 2002 20:39

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Stalker_Auldrin @ 19 Sep. 2002, 13:52)
But chrono trigger and chrono cross had completely no story line, but neither did legend of mana.

No storyline...Were you sleeping? Just wondering...

Like SM said, I don't know how you could have no storyline.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #2545
Posted: 20th September 2002 15:10

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Super Moogle @ 19 Sep. 2002, 14:11)
I can't imagine how any RPG could possibly have no  storyline whatsoever, regardless of how ridiculously shallow or pathetic the storyline might be.  

Four words: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

But I don't know how this can apply to Chrono Trigger. I mean...
SPOILER ALERT!  Highlight to view:
How many RPG's kill off the main character in the middle?

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #2555
Posted: 20th September 2002 17:33

Black Mage

Awards:
I've never played any of the Mana games, whereas I played, and loved, bothe Chrono games, so I guess Chrono wins by default.

No...storyline...?        WHAT?!?!?! x_x

--------------------
*END TRANSMISSION*
Post #2560
Posted: 20th September 2002 17:35

Lunarian

Awards:
I understand Audrin here, in both Chrono games you get a regular guy, and all the sudden his world gets unturned over the fact that some horrindously huge event set itself before them. On top of that you have little backround information about them.

In LoM your character doesn't really hve a backround either, but you live his life throgh the adventures, his adventures become the course of his life. His heroics, his kindness, and his almost complete lack of anything to say. In SD3 you learn about 6 delightful people, and their trials and trivulations. Don't get me wrong, I loved CC, but I was dissappointed in the lack of interactivity in the rp system. A lot of everything in the game was automatic, and you never get to keep any of your characters for long. The fact that you don't really advance much untill you killed a boss got me so fed up I quit.

CT was great, it had a lot of interesting things about it, and I enjoyed each world. SD3 and SoM won me over though. I've been playing SoM forever and everytime I felt like god after thwomping Thanatos. I also got upset everytime I killed Flammy.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #2561
Posted: 28th September 2002 22:10

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
SoM was one of the most annoying games i've ever played (so why do i love it so much?...) Everytime i got the floating thing i'd save, turn off the game come back and my save file would be blank for a new game CT had a great storyline but it was just TOO easy for me. the coolest thing for the SoM series though was Seiken Densetsu 3. You got to pick your main char and helpers from six people plus you could upgrade them at certain levels into an entirely new class just pick light or dark giving you a total of about 42 chars to choose from total

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #2810
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: