CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy 5 Single Class Challenge

Posted: 23rd September 2004 19:55

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Beserkers + LiquidFlame = Difficult. His counters, his healing himself... Isn't nice.

Correction...Berserkers + LiquiFlame + No fire protection + Low weapon accuracy - High weapon damage = VERY difficult. I plan to gain a few levels and try him again. By then I should have ~700 HP apiece and do approx. 500 damage per hit. Updates to come later.

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60398
Posted: 23rd September 2004 21:43

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Bit of an update on the WhiteWiz SCC: stuck. I cruised on over to the North Mountain, encountering little resistance on the way. As soon as I got in the mountain however, i realised my problem: Gala Cats. Cat Kick was setting me back about 70 HP each attack, a devastating amount to a 150-HP party. With many Cures, though, I managed to fend off the vile creatures. Now, I had went directly down to get the FenixDown when the Gala Cats were popping up. When I got to the entrance again, two thoughts corssed my mind: go back and level? and go ahead and wing it up there? I chose option B. What an effin mistake. dry.gif

I make it up to top tier of North Mountain. The Poison didn't throw me off too bad because I had four White Wizards that knew Pure. When I got to the save point, I layed down a tent and rested. Feeling confident that my party of level nine Wizards could defeat Magisa and her faithful friend, Forza, I decided to plunge into the battle. I checked her with Libra, first. Six-hundred HP didn't seem too bad. Well, at about ~400 HP, she decides to summon Forza. sad.gif With a few Tackles, some regular attacks, and Magisa's random Bolt attacks, my party was "Annihilated..." Sucks, yes. With one tent left, I think I'll try and level to 11 around the save area, or as far as I can go before losing all of my MP. I'll edit this post when I defeat Magisa, so if anyone posts after this one, don't be expecting a brand new post. smile.gif

--------------------
You know. I think you're a very special unit.
Post #60401
Posted: 23rd September 2004 22:49

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Endless Knight @ 22nd September 2004 15:09)
You've probably tried this, but have you tried using Elf Cloak for the evasion bonus?

You know the Elf Cloak/Cape is a great idea. Thanks. I'd better go in with at least 30 elixirs. I am actually just thinking ahead. My white mage SCC is actually only at the flying lonka/ronka ruins. Let me tell ya, it's the toughest challenge i've ever tried. Here's my experience:

Ifrit - used up all his MP by charm - he kept healing himself with fire3 until his MP is gone. Then slowly and painfully i beat him with flails, which have a very high miss rate. Eventually he came on my side and opened up the way to....

Byblos - most annoying battle ever. Never realized how mean this boss can be. If you let him. 'Thread' slows you down, 'MgcHammer' halves your MP, 'wind slash' takes about 1/5 of max HP (i think), 'sonic wave' renders my characters useless, charm is a pain in the rear, plus his high evasion rate combined with my poor accuracy with flails is just a disaster. I must've used up 20 elixirs fighting the battle. Here's the pattern i found with this guy if anyone's interested. If you hit him, he counters with Armor/Safe if his HP is > 700 (i think), if not he counters with Drain, sucking HP from one of the characters and claiming it for his own. So i had no choice but to persevere until his MP is used up. Then, after about 2 hours, his MP is finally gone, so Charm, Armor/Safe, Drain, MgcHammer are disabled, but wind slash is still usable, and by that time my characters have all been Sonic Wave'd to single digit levels, so my attacks only take out <20 HP each. Took another 1/2 hour to beat him to the ground.

Sandworm - not too hard, i think he does not have an evasion rate, so all the misses are from using flails. He did get a couple of Demi/Gravity's in though. Ouch.

Cray Claw - just another pain in the rear. Not too tough though. Wish i could;ve broken a thunder rod or two...

Adamantimi/Adamantaimai/whatever that silly turtle-looking thing is called - attack and heal, took a while, nuff said.

Sol Cannon (not the little ones, the big mean guy in the centre of the ruins) - i didn't destroy the side launchers in time before the first surge beam. Luckily no one died from it. One of them is gone by then with my flail attacks. The other one didn't get destroyed until after the second surge beam. After that it's just attack and heal. I didn't keep count but the sol cannon must have fired at least 15 times before it itself went up into flames.

---------- That's all folks... now i'm back at the ship's graveyard to level up some more and get back my 99 elixirs. I'll need them in world 2. Guaranteed. (BTW i haven't even gone into the ruins yet.

Also - any white SCCers out there have given thought as to how to defeat mellusion/merugene/the barrier changing spirit who
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
possessed Lenna/Reina in world 3?
That's yet another big obstable before the fork tower. I think i recall one of her forms is weak against physical attacks. So i guess just pound away and heal then, right? Flame rings here for sure... thanks-galt123

Edit: just learned how to do a spoiler tag. Sorry about that.

This post has been edited by galt123 on 24th September 2004 22:47
Post #60405
Posted: 23rd September 2004 22:59

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
W00t! Finally beat both Shiva AND LiquiFlame with my team of Berserkers. Shiva was pitifully easy with my four level 20 characters, all with 750 HP and dealing around 500 per hit. I made it out with 400 HP on all.

LiquiFlame, however, was a different story. After 3 failed attempts (never hit the body flame or the hand flame...the whirlwind is the best to hit since he just heals himself after you hit him), I managed to get him. How? Well, Butz was doing 600 per hit (assuming he connects), Galuf was close behind with 500 per hit, and the other two were dealing a measely 300-400 per hit. Once he got into whirlwind flame phase, he was done for. I did easily 2500 damage to him in that phase alone, with him healing maybe 750 of it back. From then one, it was just all-out offense. Hit and get hit basically. I managed to kill him finally with 2 characters alive with under 100 HP. Tough win, I'd say. I can't say I'm looking forward to fighting Byblos... sleep.gif

Edit
Edit: Hahaha I am amazing. I just defeated both Ifrit and Byblos. Ifrit was a piece of cake...with 4 characters doing 400's and taking only about 1/5 of their max HP for each of his hits, it didn't take long. Byblos on the other hand....whomped me on my first attempt. Gale Cut (I think that's the name) dominated me, as did Drain. I loath that spell now. Second time through, though, was a cinch. He used magic hammer 3 turns in a row, so I didn't have much MP left (oh no...whatever shall I do), but he did hardly any damage. That is, until he used Gale Cut three times and two drains. He killed two characters, but I got him with the remaining two. I must say, I am very proud of myself. I never pictured myself killing him.

Stats (these apply for all 4 characters):
Level 21
Max HP ~830
Damage dealt ~600

Equipment (also for all 4):
Mythril Hammer
Mythril Shield
Mythril/FeatherHat
Mythril Amor
Mythril Gauntlet

Needless to say, Mythril saved me. I am beginning to tire of the low accuracy of axes, but I'm sure this will get better as I find better axes.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 24th September 2004 00:57

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60406
Posted: 24th September 2004 21:20
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Well, good luck with the nightmareish Sandworm.
Post #60479
Posted: 25th September 2004 02:24

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. 
...well, after seeing y'all start SCCs of your own, I decided to jump in. I didn't want to make my first one too hard, so I went with Ninjas. So far, I've reached Worus, and have suffered only two losses - one against Siren which was incredibly close, and one against Shiva which was an absolute blowout. All the other bosses got flipped out upon. At the moment I'm doing about 120 per character per turn, HP is about 150, and level is 8 for all.

More to come!

--------------------
My soul is bound to the Mistress of the Afterlife, and my fealty is to her always. So let's just hope she doesn't use it as one of her ten daily meals.
Post #60520
Posted: 25th September 2004 21:20

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
This is impossible. I suppose I forgot what Sandworm actually was before I fought it. There is a 0% chance of me winning. I don't understand this...I have a 1/3 chance to hit him, and my characters deal ~400 to him when they connect. So after 8 hits, he should die. This means that after 6 turns of all 4 of my characters staying alive, he should die. Well, that's wrong. The most damage I could do to him was 800...two hits. That makes no sense. I have come to another conclusion as well. Each enemy has built-in attack patterns (hold on let me explain). I noticed this with Shiva. I used savestates outsides battles to speed things up, but never IN a battle. So anyways, I'd lod a savestate from just in front of Shiva and then enter the battle. After losing 3 times, I noticed that she and the soldiers targetted the exact same person each time through, meaning I could never win. So with Sandworm, I'd load the same savestate and watch Galuf take 4 demis each time through. My characters also hit the same holes each time. I started to exit and enter the Desert several times, since this seemed to load a different pattern, and noticed another thing. There were like 4 different patterns he would use. It got to the point where I could tell who was going to die and in what order just be watching what holes he began in at the beginning. So yea, I have no chance of winning unless I can somehow deal 1500 damage per hit and hope to load the one pattern where my characters hit him twice. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit
New find: Holes don't like being Muted. I went out and bought 4 Mage Mashers (thinking ahead for fork tower...Omniscient CAN be muted, right?) and tried Sandworm again. First swing, connected with a Hole and cast Mute on it. Result: It used Demi TWICE on me. This battle didn't last long. I see two options: Hacking or SERIOUS power-leveling. I'll level up a bit and try him again, since I don't went to cheat.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 25th September 2004 22:30

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60572
Posted: 25th September 2004 22:51

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Your options are painfully limited. There's nothing new you can get that would boost your chances here, so power-leveling is the ticket.

On your 'fixed' pattern: like with all games like this, the attacks are selected randomly. A game uses an RNG for this; think of it as a software dice. You read the Slot Guide, I'm sure, where is explained which attacks affect the RNG. Not only Slot feeds off this things, Ragnarok does it,...hell, every non-50 % chance attack that uses a random factor uses it.

And those 50 % thingies such as Possess and Sniper probably do it as well happy.gif

ANYWAY, back to the topic. FF V uses an RNG too, and whatever is random; targetting, damage randomization, you name it, it feeds off the RNG and it will be the same unless you affect the RNG. There's a great many actions that will do this. With Berserkers you can't really do anything but run, but even when you fail to (it's a boss battle), it affects the RNG and it worth a shot. Vary the length of your effort to affect the RNG in different ways.

--------------------
Post #60587
Posted: 26th September 2004 00:27

Onion Knight

Awards:
I decided to get a little further in my white SCC. Well further it i did, just beat the seal guardians in the mua/moore forest. It's quite interesting with an SCC. You can sometimes predict the difficulty of bosses before going in. But then, sometimes it just catches you by surprise. Here goes:

Archaeoavis - slapped on some flame rings, and just attacked and healed when needed to. Slow effort. He managed to poison a couple of characters and use thunder (which the flame ring is not protecting against - but i really need to be thankful that this boss has no water-based attacks, recalling that the flame ring *causes* a weakness to water). Nothing that a handful of antidotes and cure2's can't do. Armor/Safe-ing the party at the start of the battle really helped.

Archaeoavis's 2nd form (after revival) - the armor/safe from before still active, i used the same methods. Flailing away and healing. The flail really sucks in terms of hit rate. I was looking forward to fighting metamorpha's in world 2 to get some light/lumino staffs.

The 6 bombs (one day i'll remember what they're called...) - i tried to take off a little HP from each one so they don't explode with the full 1500 HP damage, but a few of them still managed to hurt me bad. Good thing they didn't all explode at once. Cure2 saved me.

Titan - armor/safe-ed the party at the start of the battle. He got 2 earth shakers in and that was it. I expected him to be harder but i'm definitely not complaining...

Kimaira/Chim Brain - as easy as titan was. I had flame rings on so his blaze attack didn't hurt me at all.

Abductor - i decided to let him waste me. Didn't need that ether. Waste of time otherwise.

Gilgamesh (in dungeon) - armor/safe-ed and hit him about 10 times before he left me alone.

Gilgamesh (on big bridge) - i decided to use one person to mute him every turn. But he didn't stayed muted. He wasn't too tough here anyways, just annoying.

Tyrasaurus - i usually give him a phoenix down to go away, but with white mages i decided to have a little fun. Used Arise/Life - took 2 tries but got him just the same.

Abductor (again) - didn't do anything special, just pounded away at him with flails. He didn't last long.

Dragon Grass/Hiryuu Plant - i knew this battle was gonna be annoying/long, but little do i know beforehand that it could be tough too if you don't know how to withstand the pollen attacks from the Dragon Weed/Bulb/Flowers. Each of them (as most of you know) inflicts a different status ailment to you (darkness, charm, poison, old, paralysis). So by the time all 5 of them were done, i felt like i was covered in flies. It takes me so much time to recover from them that i had no time to attack the actual plant.... that is... until i realized what i could do. I restarted the battle and the first thing i did was to "Image" everybody. The white image spell can evade 2 hits (versus the mirage vest which is only good for one). So in between i had enough time to hack away at the plant. The rest of the battle was just attack, re-image, attack, re-image, until the central plant is dead. The flowers were a piece of cake afterwards when they've lost the ability to regenerate themselves.

Gilgamesh & enkidou (zeza's fleet) - i guess i was lucky. I thought i had to drain enkidou of his MP. But he didn't white wind his party until he only had about 200 HP left, which brought it back to 400. 3 more flail hits later he was history. Gilgamesh was useless after enkidou was gone.

Barrier tower, Atomos - i figured here i don't have the steal ability, nor will i even be able to wield the thief knive, that i will have to earn myself at least 2 wall rings here (there are 2 more at the waterfalls in world 3) from the wall knights. That took like 15+ battles. Then for atomos thank goodness for 'Shell'/'Protect'. I shelled the party at the beginning of the battle, and comet did half the damage it usually inflicts. So 3 guys attacking and 1 (Lenna/Reina) healing. Probably 100 turns later he was history. Can't believe i was still using flails.

sunken
cave of guido/ghido/whatever translation was given to the 700-year-old sage - the first time i entered i ran from everything. Figuring there was no point with no strong weapon at all. Then after shopping at moore/mua village and then going through the first half of the moore/mua forest to get the much stronger 'morning star' (which i think is slightly more accurate too) i re-entered the cave to fight metamorphas. I had flame rings to absorb most of everything, except for the breath wing attacks which took out 1/4 of max HP from each player. Bummer. Anyway took about 20 odd battles to win me 4 lumino staffs. They don't have as high an attack power as the morning star, and you have to put people in the front row for the same amount of damage, but at least they are as accurate as most knives. I still don't know whether i'll be fighting the tower of power boss (minotaurus) with which weapon yet.

Seal guardians - again the same strategy as the blue SCC (ie equip flame rings and beat on the top guardian until it starts to use fire3 - which heals the party), but little do i know that the light/lumino staffs don't damage the guardians at all. (Which makes me wonder if they will damage minotaurus). So i had to switch back to 3 flails and 1 morning star mid-battle. Oh well. Long but easy battle.

Exdeath @ forest - before the seal guardian battle was over i made sure that Galuf had the morning star. So this battle was just plaining attack, attack, attack, and it actually didn't take that long for the in-battle dialog sequence to start

--- And that's it for the day. More levelling before heading into the final dungeon of world 2 .... *drumroll* .... exdeath castle.

Post #60593
Endless Knight
Posted: 26th September 2004 00:36
Unregistered

Please keep us informed galt123. I am really enjoying your adventures. (Plus those of everyone else.) Keep up the good work! thumbup.gif
Post #60594
Posted: 26th September 2004 01:50

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Caesar @ 25th September 2004 16:20)
Omniscient CAN be muted, right?

Yes, but the mage masher does not always cast mute. I actually tried to beat omniscient using 2 mage mashers before. The result was reset, reset, reset... (or return, return, return - depending on which translation you've got). Believe me, even if you manage to mute him, he doesn't seem to stay muted for long.

I've got a question for you, since the beserker class can only use 2 of the legendary weapons (namely the rune axe and the assasin dagger), why do you need to get past the fork tower? The beserker class can't use
Holy or Flare or Meteo, or Riviathan/Leviathan for that matter
anyway.

As an aside note i'd like to applaud your efforts in trying a said-to-be-impossible SCC. I mean i thought my white SCC is hard... at least i have control of my characters (albeit very weak)... Way to go, Caesar :)
Post #60604
Posted: 26th September 2004 02:03

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Thank you, galt123. I also am surprised at how well you are doing with your White Mage SCC. I'd say that Bersker and White Mage SCC would be the hardest....save for the Dancer, Bard, and Mimic, of course.

In addition to using ONLY the Bersker (I will refer to the Berserkers by Berskers since it's shorter and sounds cooler) in my run-through, I plan to get every magic spell, with the exception of Blue Magic (for obvious reasons). This means defeating every summon monster, as well as beating the Fork Tower. Although this is a long ways from where I am now, it never hurts to start planning early. I'm sure one or two Berskers can take Minotaur with NO problem at all, but as for Omniscient, I plan to equip ALL of the remaining Berskers in my party with Mage Mashers (I have 4 in my inventory) and let them loose. I would look up the exact chance they have to cast mute in the ROM, but I'm lazy. For me, it's around every third time. So...I take three Berskers up to fight him, and then go crazy. Since they naturally have insane attack power, they will do decent damage even though the Mage Masher only has 28 attack power (I think).

So to answer your question, I wouldn't feel like I truly "completed" the SCC if I skipped any steps, such as getting Meteo, Flare, Holy, Levia, Shiva, Omega, etc.

Btw, do I have to use spoiler tags in this topic. I sort of thought it was understood that there would be information about the game released in this thread, so I never used them. All of my posts would have to be completely enclosed in a spoiler tag because I suppose some of the bosses in the game would count as spoilers.

Edit
Argh! I almost beat him! I hit him 9 times this time, but for some reason I do less damage than before. So anyways, 9 x 300 = not enough. So close...I don't understand how it calculates damage. I can do 700 on a normal enemy in the back row using the Mage Masher, yet I do 300 on SandWorm in the front row with an Ogre Axe. Hmm...well more leveling I guess and then I'll attempt him again. SandWorm is officialyl my LEAST favorite boss in the game...even moreso than Byblos.

Just to give you a glimpse of what a Demi-counterattack can do to a team of Berskers, I'll tell you about a recent battle. I missed SandWorm so frequently that the first QuickSand he used for that battle annihilated my entire party. Also keep in mind that every member of my party has ~1100 HP and that QS does 60 damage tops. Yes...it's that bad.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 26th September 2004 02:44

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60606
Posted: 26th September 2004 02:49

Black Mage

Awards:
I happen to already have a Bard SCC going, so I'll load up that save file tonight and play away on it. As for my WW SCC: I'm still leveling around the Save Point. Look for this post to be edited by tonight.

--------------------
Post #60611
Endless Knight
Posted: 26th September 2004 12:01
Unregistered

Is there a way to get the mimic summon using berserkers? Do you have to paralyze them or some give them another ailment, so that they cannot attack? If so, how do you get to Mimic without dying from foes on the way? Running? Just curious. Have fun Caesar! I hope you soon manage to bloody Sandworm beyond recognition. thumbup.gif
Post #60655
Posted: 26th September 2004 15:03

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Is there a way to get the mimic summon using berserkers? Do you have to paralyze them or some give them another ailment, so that they cannot attack? If so, how do you get to Mimic without dying from foes on the way? Running? Just curious. Have fun Caesar! I hope you soon manage to bloody Sandworm beyond recognition.

I'm unaware of a Mimic summon, so I'm going to assume you mean the Mimic class. happy.gif IIRC,
Gogo attacks with magic if you hit him, and as far as I know, he can be muted, so I'll rely of my trusty Mage Masher to do some serious damage. He can be killed normally, I think. If not, well, I already have the Mimic class from the Game Genie code I entered to get Bersker at the beginning of the game.

As for being killed on the way there, I don't think that's a problem. My team is basically immortal in random encounter battles. I fought three battles of two corvettes each, without healing in between, without losing a single party member.

Edit
Update: The SandWorm is no more. I won't give a play-by-play because I don't remember it and it would bore all of you. Basically, I got lucky. Bartz connected everytime he swung, which was a HUGE help. Only he and Faris lived, though. Not too much power-leveling was needed yesterday...I am now at level 27. That's all for now.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 26th September 2004 15:40

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60674
Endless Knight
Posted: 26th September 2004 16:29
Unregistered

Quote (Caesar @ 26th September 2004 10:03)
I'm unaware of a Mimic summon, so I'm going to assume you mean the Mimic class. happy.gif IIRC

I think I was thinking of FFIV summons while I wrote that. Yes, the Mimic class.

Gogo is supposed to counter physical attacks with his magic and have infinite HP from what I've read. Maybe the FAQs are wrong, but from what I remember this was the case for me.

Congrats on killing the Sandworm! thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by Endless Knight on 26th September 2004 16:30
Post #60680
Posted: 26th September 2004 17:09

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
According to the enemy list here at CoN,

Gogo has 47714 HP and is weak vs. water. I assume he can be killed, but I have never tried. Unfortunately, the Bersker cannot equip any water elemental weapons, so the battle may be longer than expected.

Also, it would seem that the Bersker can equip 3 of the legendary weapons: Rune Axe, Assassin Dagger, and Sasuke Katana/Knife.

Edit
Killed Adamant T with no problems at all. Bartz took 4 criticals, but that's all. Next, I destroyed the Missile/Flame Cannons outside the ruins...no problem at all there, either. However, Sol Cannon is proving to be difficult. He usually only gets off two missiles before the back target is destroyed, and I can usually deal what is estimated to be around 4.5k damage to him before his Surge beam connects. After that, I am usually left with two members and chip off about another 2k before he Surge beams them as well.

A note about Surge Beam- After checking all the FAQs and noticing that they all say it does around 300 damage to everybody, I have come to a conclusion. Surge Beam does 50% of your max HP. It does ~600 damage to me and i have ~1200 for each character. I doutb anybody would have that amount of HP at this point, which would explain why the FAQs say it does 300 damage.

The above theory is correct. I justgained a few levels and fought him again and it did 750 damage to my entire party. I'm not sure if he is possible anymore. I have to do 23000 damage before he attacks twice.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 26th September 2004 18:12

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60686
Posted: 26th September 2004 20:54

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. 
OK, I'm in Karnak about to dive into the ship to face LiquiFlame. My party's at L13, with ~350 HP apiece, and 300-400 damage per character-turn.

Galura was a bit harder than expected. I thought I could just Image my way through, but he's got this nasty habit of attacking four times in a row. Eventually I defeated him at L10, and then took another shot at Shiva. Dead again. So I went to Karnak to equip myself with mythril daggers and silver armor. Then I went back and dominated Shiva at L12. Well, dominated may be a strong word for it - Bartz died, and everyone else was reduced to about 1/3 HP. Still, a win's a win.

--------------------
My soul is bound to the Mistress of the Afterlife, and my fealty is to her always. So let's just hope she doesn't use it as one of her ten daily meals.
Post #60699
Posted: 27th September 2004 03:45

Onion Knight

Awards:
Itching for the ultimate white spell, i fired up my white SCC again and progressed along. So here's another update -

Exdeath Castle - the hardest fight i got into was with two yellow dragons. Thunder takes out 1/4 of my max MP regardless whether shell/protect is active or not. So lots of cure3's. Otherwise not too hard. Good news for anyone doing this SCC. Exdeath is vulnerable, for some reason, to the lumino/light staff (that you get from fighting metamorphas). It does even more damage to him than the morning star (which is actually higher in attack power). He managed to L3 Flare me once. Ouch. Otherwise he was easier than i thought. I didn't bother casting safe/armor or shell/protect - he casts dispel often.

Antlion - Nothing special. Good thing his sonic wave attacks weren't frequent and didn't succeed much. After about 15 lumino staff hits, he left me.

Gargoyles - as most of you know, if one gargoyle is destroyed while the other one is still alive, it will revive very quickly with full HP. However, does anybody know that gargoyles can cast fusion (especially when their HP gets low)? So i thought i had to drain their MP as well - until i decided to try something - the "Bersk" spell (berserk) and it worked on both of them. Sure they do more damage after that but at least now i can get both their HP's low enough that 2 or 3 consecutive attacks can take them out simultaneously without them reviving each other. BTW, if anyone is wondering, the light/lumino staff heals them.

Pyramid - thank goodness most monsters are undead here (so cure2 and cure3 came in very handy). The only annoying part were the machine heads - their "surge beam" takes out 1/2 of your max HP and causes an HP leak (just like the sol cannon in world one). Normally they'd be dead before they fire, but not with white mages. Precisely why white mages have cure3...

Megurene/Mellusion (at the elder tree) - she was not as hard as i thought she'd be. All of her forms are surprisingly vulnerable to the morning star (but not the light/lumino staff). One of her forms can actually be damaged by flails as well. So it was just a long battle, that was it. Needless to say i shelled/protected and armor/safe-ed everybody.

Kuzar Castle - ran into a shield dragon once. Sheer luck. I ran away after about 30 odd turns with confused people and stuff. Got the sage staff, and two other randomly chosen weapons. Doesn't matter anyway. My white mage party can't wield any other legendary weapons.

Solitary Temple and Stoker/Stalker - Once again, L3 flare problems. I got lucky it wasn't used often. Let me warn anybody who wants to try this that L4 Quarter/Gravity2 and L5 Doom/Death seem to be the preferred spells. Make sure nobody's level is divisible by 4 or 5 and you'll be fine. Turns out that the sage staff and the new morning stars i bought at mirage actually made my group of white mage into somewhat decent fighters - ha ha. Stoker was not a problem. It was just a shell/protect and then guess-a-target-and-hit game (albeit long and dreaded, of course).

Now... the moment that i (and maybe some of you too) have been waiting for...

The fork tower.

Right tower - i sent 3 players up with the sage staff and 2 morning stars. That made minotaurus a relatively *easy* battle - believe it or not. The sage staff actually took about 1000 HP each hit and he only has 20,000. Nothing that a couple of elixirs can't fix. Thanks to Endless Knight for the Elf Cloak/Cape tip. I actually evaded a few of his critical attacks that way.

Left tower - taking 3 players up the right tower was my mistake. Lenna/Reina alone faced omniscient. She has a wall/reflect ring on. I had her cast dispel on omniscient to negate his regen and shell/protect. Then i kept casting wall/reflect on Lenna/Reina, bouncing off her to put a wall on omniscient. Cure, Regen, Haste/Fast and the like are reflected back to me when omniscient tried to benefit himself. This is all well until he decided to 1) cast "Drain" - which is non-reflectable and brings back good ol' memories of Byblos, and 2) keep casting status spells that don't do damage, like venom, slow, and the like. Finally he casted a couple of bios - the most damage that's reflected back to him (about 800 HP), and which also causes a temporary HP leak. When his HP finally got low (and this took probably about 200 turns), he started casting Ice3 which furthered his damage, to which he pretty much committed suicide, with his last ditch effort Flare also reflected back to him.

And that was it. Now i'm the proud owner of the ultimate white spell :) - done only with a bunch of weak white mages without even an offence-based spell. Thanks to everybody who gave me tips and encouragement. :)
Post #60763
Posted: 27th September 2004 04:43

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Current Level: 17
HP: 450 (Reina) - 472 (Galuf)
Damage dealt/turn: 400 (Reina/Galuf), 500 (Faris/Bartz), 700 (anyone throwing Mythril Swords)
Clear through: Byblos

My strategy for LiquiFlame, Ifrit, and Byblos was pretty much the same - throw stuff at them. This worked very well with the first two, but Byblos' Drain and Wind Slash gave me problems. I lost a few times to him before getting a lucky run of no counters. Didn't last very long, but it was enough to have my Ninjas stab him to death after RUNNING OUT of throwing objects.

So, now I'm running around Ramuh's forest trying to get enough GP to buy the Rings. I'll try to defeat him, too, but I'm not strong enough yet.

--------------------
Post #60768
Posted: 27th September 2004 20:17

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
A good place to fight around is the grassy area by Istory. Not in the forest, in the grass. You often fight Dark Flames and Stone Golems, which both give you a decent amount of HP and gold.

Ok here's the scoop: I have dubbed Sol Cannon impossible to defeat with the Berserkers. I have been powerlevelling for awhile (hence the lack of updates), and am now at level 40. I am grossly overpowered now, but I still can't beat him. His Surge Beam now does over 1000 damage to everybody, plus HP leak. I can kill the launcher in two hits (I can do well over 1000 per hit now), so I am usually left with 3 characters to fight the Cannon itself. I'm thinking of unequipping myself of ALL equipment that doesn't add to strength sicne defense, magic power, magic defense, etc. isn't important for this battle and equipment weight (speed) is. Still...managing to get 23,000 damage in there before two Surge Beams seems impossible. You think...24 hits should do it. That's 12 hits between each beam, which is 4 full rounds of 3 characters attacking. There isn't that much time before shots. Plus, that's assuming I connect with over 1000 per swing, and the low accuracy of axes, I doubt it's possible. If my strategy doesn't work, I will have to switch classes for this one battle, just to retain SOME difficulty for later battles (having 4 level 99 Berserkers in the Lonka Ruins wouldn't be fun at all).

Edit
I am a FFV god! I unequipped my characters of everything except an Ogre Axe on each, giving them 0 equipment weight. I went into battle, unsure of how it would work. I immediately noticed a difference. The launchers took a beating right from the start, but not before they hit two of my members with a missile. I continued on. 4 rounds later, the Surge Beam was fired, claiming two of my members. I figured it was over at this point, but I continued anyways. Galuf and Bartz took turns pounding on the cannon, hitting consistantly for 1200 damage. The message which stated he had 128% energy appeared, and I knew it was over. However, Galuf landed a 1300 and Bartz landed a MASSIVE 1700 on the cannon, killing it once and for all. Whew...I deserve an award for that. happy.gif

And so my game continues:

Lonka Ruins were a piece of cake, and ArcheoAvis gave me no problem at all.

Puroboros: Ahhh now my third least favorite boss. Stupid Arise brings back the other dead Puroboros, so I had to kill them all until they ALL ran out of MP. That was a load of fun, but I eventually did it, after taking countless Exploders. Thank you, 2500 HP!

Titan: Pathetic. Lasted one round and did 400 damage with Earth Shaker.

Chimera Brain: Also pathetic...used Blaze once, but that was all.

Abductor: Two swings ended him...no biggy.

Gilgamesh (dungeon and bridge): Both were pitifully easy. My Berserkers do 1000 damage per hit, garunteed, which makes 4000 a turn almost unfair.

Okay, my new favorite weapon in the entire game is the Dancing Dirk. My Berserker can do 5500 (and does quite often) damage with Sword Dance, to a target in the back row. That is a disgusting amount of damage. I'm going to solo Minotaur with that character, I think.

Hiryuusou (I think this was the next boss): With a team comprised of ONLY characters who target who they want, I thought this would be a looooong battle. I landed a few hits on Hiryuusou with my Warhammers, but mostly I hit the little plants. That is, until the Dancing Dirk showed its true power. Two turns in a row, I landed two Sword Dances on the Hiryuusou, dealing 5500 each. Needless to say, that was enough to end the battle.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 27th September 2004 23:28

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60800
Posted: 28th September 2004 02:28

Onion Knight

Awards:
With the acquisition of 'holy' - my white SCC got much simpler. So i thought i'd might as well finish it. I'll just list out the highlights (for the rest of them - just imagine 4 white mages 'holying' away :) -

Third tablet was the easiest. I thought for sure i had to heal from a couple of delta attacks. Holy defeated those 3 undead swines so quickly they had no time to revive each other.

Fourth tablet was just as easy. Had me some coral rings. So leviathan was a piece of cake. (It was Caesar that inspired me to get the remaining tablets and summons even though i don't benefit from them being white mages. Thanks for your suggestion, Caesar. I'm quite enjoying the challenge :)

Odin - he is healed by holy. So i got my
magic lamp recharged
. Bahamut - ~6000HP, Leviathan/Riviathan ~4000HP, Odin himself: no effect + waste of 3 secs :( - otherwise it would've been neat to see odin fighting himself, but anyways... , Syldra/Hydra ~ 4500HP, then i switched to morning star attacks. 7 secs left. A *really* close one. And he went down...

Bahamut - managed to mega flare me once, that was it. I had running/winged shoes on. I was too quick for him.

Necrofobia - i got lucky. Put 4 wall rings on, and casted holy against my party members. Each time it reflected off to a barrier. So the barriers died within 2 rounds. Necrofobia himself was so weak to sacred power that he took 9999 from each of my "holy"'s - needless to say he didn't last long.

Exdeath/Neo-ex - guess it was luck, he didn't white hole me at all, or delta attack for that matter. His
tree form
took about 8 holies and he morphed. Then i just had to make sure that his back target doesn't get left alive too long by itself (otherwise it casts meteo constantly). He grand crossed me once and charmed one player, zombified another, hurricaned another - that was it. Grand Cross is very easy to recover from with a team of white mages. I was hoping for a somewhat difficult challenge, so that was kinda disappointing. Oh well. No big deal. Maybe one day if i feel really brave i'll try omega or shinryuu. From what i heard Omega can be berserked if i put a wall/reflect on myself and casted bersk against the walled member. So we'll see.

Once again thanks to everybody who helped especially Endless Knight and of course Caesar - you're the man :). Congrats on beating every boss between the sol cannon and the hiryuusol/plant - very well done. My hat's off to you. :) -galt123
Post #60835
Posted: 28th September 2004 20:03

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Congrats on beating it, galt123! thumbup.gif What challenge will you attempt next, hmmm?

(It was Caesar that inspired me to get the remaining tablets and summons even though i don't benefit from them being white mages. Thanks for your suggestion, Caesar. I'm quite enjoying the challenge smile.gif

No prob. It just didn't seem quite right to consider the game beaten if you don't get everything you possibly can with that character (this, of course, means missing out on some stealable items until you acquire the thief knife).

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60906
Endless Knight
Posted: 28th September 2004 20:31
Unregistered

That's great news galt! What was your most memorable part of the journey?

Once I finish playing some other games, I might just start up an SCC of my own. (Time allowing.)
Post #60912
Posted: 29th September 2004 00:59

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Okay I am finally in the third world now! Not much left to do now. Well...I'm not going to summarize every boss since my strategy is basically the same with all of them: Equip 3 Berserkers with strong weapons that the boss isn't immune to, and the fourth with the Dancing Dirk. Actually...funny story: I was fighting Atomos at Ex-Death's tower, and he couldn't manage to kill one of my party members. Faris took 4 Comets, and the rest took 2 or 3 each. Meanwhile I was pounding the heck out of him. He finally managed to kill Faris but I killed him the turn after. Haha...pathetic.

Ok so anyways, I finished the second world with some minor difficulties on Ex-death himself, but that's all. Went to the third world, got my Earth Hammer in the Pyramid, and then beat it. I have never realized how much that weapon rocks! Here's the scoop...the Axe class has very low accuracy. When you miss with the Earth Hammer, it uses Earth Shaker on the entire enemy party. This does around 4k when I use it, and my normal attack does like 1700. This means that you basically cast Titan every other round at no expense to your MP. Not bad at all. After getting Lenna back, I went to Kuzar Castle to get my Assassin Dagger and Rune Axe. However, I overlooked a slight problem: Berserkers can't run for the life of them...literally. So, of course, I fight an Ex-death Soul and get absolutely WHOMPED. So I, being the genious I am, equip one character with the best weapon I have that isn't the Dancing Dirk (Air Lancet, maybe?), the Bone Mail, and the Thornlet. Since Ex-death's Soul uses basically all insta-kill attacks, and since I am undead, I am fully healed. This basically negates the Thornlet's effect, giving me a huge defense bonus only. SO after a long battle, I finally claimed victory, and got my Axe and Dagger. I picked up Sasuke's Katana too since it says here (I believe) that Berserkers can equip it. Well...guess what. They can't. Fantastic.

Lastly, I stopped by Mirage Village to pick up my Thief Knife and the final magics I needed. While I was there, I grabbed three more Earth Hammers...you know...just to keep the business alive. I can't wait to get my Brave Blade. I haven't ran once this entire game. That's gonna be MASSIVE.

Well, I'm going to form a "to-do" list here for organizational purposes only:

+Obtain Odin (I beat him with 31 seconds left AND got the protect ring from him!)
+++Obtain three other tablets, and 9 other Legendary Weapons
+Obtain Flare and Holy
+Whomp Bahamut (Thank you, WallKnight for your 4 Wall Rings. I took 300 HP of damage the entire battle, and then he ended himself with Megaflare)
+Get Syldra
+Brave Blade!
+Obtain Phoenix (gahhh...had to fight Sol Cannon again, darn it)
+Mirage Vest?
+N-Zone
_Omega
_Shinryuu

Yes, I AM going to attempt Omega and Shinryuu. I doubt I'll beat either of them, but it's worth a try, at least, isn't it? Btw, what good items can I steal now, since I have the Thief Knife finally?

I will probably not post update after update anymore...I'll just keep editing this post. That is, at least until I get into the N-Zone where some real exciting strats evolve.

Okay since most of you were most likely curious, I'll tell you how I beat the Fork Tower. Now, I split my group 3:1, with the 1 being Bartz, who went to kill Minotaur. I'll start with him. I made it up the entire tower without fighting a single battle. I then prepared to kill Minotaur, with my Rune Axe, Bone Mail, and Protect Ring equipped. He hit me once, dealing ~300 damage of my 2800 max HP. I hit him so many times before he hit me next I lost count....I ran out of MP for criticals before he landed a hit. Thank you, Ice Shield. Anyways, he eventually got better and he hit me three times in a row, but I killed him soon afterwards. Now for the other party:

I had all three characters wearing Wall Rings and their strongets weapons while going up the tower. I fought 4 battles, none of which were too bad, except this one craaaaazy one. Okay this battle had one of those hunched over bettle-like mages that uses meteo, a Tiny Mage, and a Flare....FlareMage? I forgot the name. Anyways, they tried to hit me with some spell, but I reflected it back at 'em. I hit a few of them a few times, and then something very strange happened. One of the enemies just started hitting consistant 9999's on me. I was in fast-forward mode, but I brought it to normal speed after I saw a bunch of 9's and my team being killed off. I stopped just in time to see the last 9999 hit Lenna. What's up with that?! Anyways, I finally made it up the tower, and, armed with three Mage Mashers, Wall Rings across the board, and some various shields, I prepared to fight Omniscient. I must say, he is one annoying boss. It was hard enough getting my original hit to cast Mute on him, but having them consistantly cast Mute every third or fourth hit is ridiculous. It took me....probably near 100 tries (these include the "Return"s) before I finally killed him. Even though I did nothing except chill on the Fast Forward key, it was an exhausting battle. I now have every magic except Leviathan and Meteo. Oh yea, plus the songs, but I think I missed a few painos....oh well.

[EDIT]Just a quick shortcut for anybody attempting a SCC...the seal guardians in Mua Forest are susceptable to instant kill attacks. Not many are open at that point, but Death Potion would work, as would the Doom Scythes that Berserkers get. Makes the battle quite easier.[EDIT]

This post has been edited by Caesar on 1st October 2004 02:15

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #60933
Posted: 29th September 2004 14:05

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Endless Knight @ 28th September 2004 15:31)
That's great news galt!  What was your most memorable part of the journey?

Memorable? Good or bad? If you ask bad i'll have to say Byblos. A boss that uses sonic wave + drain + wind slash on a couple of offenseless white mages = not nice at all. Apanda/Apprehender is different. Cause i had 'holy' :). Anyways, the "best" memory would probably be the time when i figured out how to beat the dragon grass/hiryuusol/plant things. 'Image' rules :)

I just started a chemist SCC. This one will be interesting because potions and hipotions will be doubled in power in battles, and i can use a lot of !Comibine/!Mix-ed items. Just beat siren with 2 potions in her undead form. Each did 100HP damage to her instead of the regular 50.

BTW, Caesar, are you getting the brave blade just for a trophy? Berserkers can't equip it anyways, right?

Post #60981
Posted: 29th September 2004 19:48

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
BTW, Caesar, are you getting the brave blade just for a trophy? Berserkers can't equip it anyways, right?

Yea...unfortunately they can't equip it. It would be massive, though, if they could. Maybe I'll just give the "Berserk" ability to a Knight after I beat the game to test it. shifty.gif

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #61001
Posted: 29th September 2004 20:00

Black Mage

Awards:
Damn you, Galt. tongue.gif I finished off my WM SCC, too, last night. Had basically the same strat as Galt here. Ah, always fun to complete a game with an underrated class. happy.gif

Anyways, looking for ideas for my next SCC. I was thinking Chemist, but galt here is already progressing through one for them. I had started a Samurai SCC, but it's way too easy when fighting bosses and I am equipped with Toss GP. I'm thinking about...yes, I think I have found the answer: Geomancer. Bells...mmm. cool.gif

--------------------
Post #61002
Posted: 30th September 2004 18:39

Onion Knight

Awards:
Here are some highlights on my chemist SCC so far-

Galura - slapped on the !Revive ability for everybody. Since he could only hit one person (max 2) at a time i revived myself faster than he could strike me down.

LiquidFlame - !Mix-ed 3 "Resist Fire"'s (Ether + Eyedrop) so all his attacks healed me except for one player. That player got KO'd but that's okay. I've already mastered the class for everybody by then.

Ifrit - i collected another ether on the way out of Karnak's Castle and now i had 4 ethers in total. So this time i !Mix-ed 4 "Resist Fires"'s and Ifrit was just sitting there healing me the whole time :)

Byblos - remember the nightmare i had with him being white mages? Well now that i have a bunch of chemists, i just gave him 4 "Lillith Kiss"es (Elixir + Maiden's Kiss) and he's got no MP left. Defeated him after 8 rounds or so. One person got sonic wave-d once. He didn't even get a single wind slash in.

Ramuh - 2 words. "Resist thunder" (Phoenix Down + eyedrop).

Adamantimi/Adamantaimai - used Protect Drink (Turtleshell x 2) and he's attacks were pitifully useless on me.

Sol Cannon + Launchers - fought some black flames before the battle to win me some speed/haste drinks. So i put on angel rings, stealth robes, green berets, and mage mashers x 3 + 1 guardian knife. Chugged the haste drinks at the beginning of the battle. The launchers fired 3 shots at 2 people. And they were gone before the "explosive pressure increased" message. I continued to hack away at the main cannon until the 128% energy message. Then i healed the 2 people. The cannon fired 3 surge beams and that was it. I was a lot faster than it...

And that's all for now.
Post #61099
Posted: 30th September 2004 19:55

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Well, I am finally ready to go into the N-Zone. I finished everything I need to in the normal world I think. Oh, for those of you who were wondering, it is impossible to beat Gogo. Not Sol Cannon or Sandworm impossible...he is truly impossible. If you hit him physically, he counters with a 9999 damage physical hit, and doesn't miss. So, I have to deal 47,000 damage in 4 hits...not possible. Please refer to the previous post for updates up to now.

Edit
I finally mdae it to Ex-Death! Now, the trick is beating him, even though I am only at level 46, which isn't bad for a party of Berserkers. I haven't beaten either Omega or Shinryuu yet, but I will probably be able to beat Shinryuu. Omega...I doubt it. Anyways, after I stole 3 additional Thor's Hammers, my team suddenly became god-like. I dominated every boss up until Necrophobe....I had some trouble with him. Stupid Bone Mail makes Holy do 3000 damage. Anyways, Gilgamesh finally killed him and I'm at Ex-Death.

First run-through:

I killed Ex-Death tree with all characters intact. Two were at full health, one was in the triple digits, and one had about 2000 HP left. I thought I was in decent shape (oh he missed with White Hole, too....twice!). Anyways, Neo-Exdeath came strolling in and used Almagest and killed two of my characters. The other two, at 1000 HP each, were easily picked off by Ice 3. So...I have a ways to go, I think. My characters have only 3000 HP which may be part of the problem. However, they can dish out near 5k damage per hit with Mjollnir. I guess it's just a race against time...I'll keep you updated.

This post has been edited by Caesar on 1st October 2004 02:20

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #61105
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: