never played it [ 7 ]  [5.22%]
allright [ 16 ]  [11.94%]
yuck! [ 2 ]  [1.49%]
Total Votes: 134
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 27th June 2008 03:42

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Last time ive played this was probably a year ago and i only played up till about before Galuf died since it was on a ROM and my computer broke, so im just gonna say its alright cause i never fully played through.

This post has been edited by BanjoTheClown on 27th June 2008 03:43
Post #168964
Posted: 27th June 2008 04:22

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I love FFV, while it was not as story driven as FFIV, I did think that it had a few more things to do than FFIV, and it was refreshing to play and build up a character and NOT have it randomly quit party/transform/die/petrify, whatever. and oh boy was it great to build up those characters, they improved upon FFIII in every way, and was a direct predecessor to FFT as far as job system. Plus they introduced Mimes, which have always been points of fun, and they introduced Gogo.

But IMO the most important function of FFV was what it did and taught Square Enix (Squaresoft at the time). FFI the original was amazing, FFII was focused on gameplay, FFIII was focused on customization, FFIV was again story, only done better, and Square was able to open up customization in FFV, since FFIV has in general been well recieved, it taught that story is vastly important, but FFV's contribution in it's gameplay can be seen in all future incarnations of Final Fantasy from Esper customization, materia, GF's, and more. The ability to alter your character has and will always be a staple in FFs Thanks to FFIII and FFV.

Sorry for the soapboxing, but I do love this game and own the PSX trans, ROM, and GBA versions, (GBA being my least favorite, but it's portable FF, so its all good)

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter, don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Post #168966
Posted: 26th July 2008 16:20

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
it cant have a love story, on account of the characters are always the same

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
cept for when galuf dies

character-wise, :-(
cameplay :-)

--------------------
Whats up?
Post #170759
Posted: 26th July 2008 22:10

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
It would be low scoring on my list... If it had not been for me starting again (Got screwed over on world 2)

I began to play as a Blue Mage.... It gets the game +50 luff points

It's now fifth on my favouritism list
Post #170779
Posted: 26th July 2008 23:48

Onion Knight

Awards:
Content: The graphics are decent; the sound is ok overall - many good tunes, some not so good, and some are extremely cool.

Gameplay: Totally addicting. It encourages deep and complex planning, the learning curve is very steady and the replay value is pretty good. I think it was a little too easy (but this is subjective). Maybe a "hard" mode would be a good idea.

Story and characters: The story was classic and simple - nothing entertaining, but maybe it helps keep the gameplay in focus. The characters could use some improving. Lenna and Cara (and maybe Galuf) are a bit underdeveloped. Faris and Butz are ok (protagonists should often not be too detailed - take Chrono Trigger as an example).

Overall: Great game - my personal favorite of the series.
Post #170788
Posted: 29th July 2008 04:07

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
The fact that you need many abilities and combinations of abilities to defeat the bosses was great! But I'm dissapointed that the Necromancer is just a cheap Blue Mage that learns dark spells, it's like the fusion of a Black Mage and a Blue Mage... Literally.
Post #170877
Posted: 10th August 2008 06:34

Returner

FF5: A great way to spend the afternoon playing, the atmosphere of the game is very pleasant and chilling. I enjoy the battle theme music, allowing me to spend more time grinding up their job levels without getting bored easily. I haven't finish playing yet, since I'm currently "stuck" at some weird puzzle in one of the castles. Otherwise, very enjoyable. thumbup.gif
Post #171348
Posted: 2nd September 2008 02:09

Returner

Awards:
Only played a little bit of Final Fantasy V, so can't really make a full judgement on the game, but from what was played thought at the time, that Final Fantasy V's battle system was very fun and it was cool to see everybody dressed up in their different class costumes.

The music was very livley, outgoing, loud and upbeat which was perfectly suited for the game. However kind of found some moments a little over-the-top and maybe felt that the storyline was all being rushed at once, like there where no calm breaks in the story ?

Thought that the game was a little hard, because had to rush before had to return the game back to it's real owner. Didn't get that far on the game..

Post #171967
Posted: 22nd September 2008 22:08

Engineer

Awards:
I was torn between good and great!, but I decided on good. Out of the Final Fantasies, it's one of my favourites. Out of all the games I've ever played, it's not bad. So there you go.

--------------------
Why, hello guys! Haven't been around here in a loooong time!
http://dragcave.net/user/LadyTwi
http://www.backloggery.com/ladytwi
Post #172324
Posted: 23rd September 2008 00:28

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I enjoyed it. I played it only a few years ago and so the outdated graphics were expected. I'm not going to tout it's marvelous characterization, but the storyline wasn't actually that bad. It's not like were talking about FFVIII here.

The gameplay on the other hand was excellent. I really enjoyed the job class system. In fact, if there is one thing I'd have liked to see in FFT it would be the Bare setup of FFV.
Post #172325
Posted: 6th October 2008 18:05

Onion Knight

Awards:
It is all in all one of my favorite Final Fantasy's of all time. Nothing can best FF4 but this game comes awful close.

--------------------
Music. defines. society.
Post #172515
Posted: 6th November 2008 04:58
Returner

This game is really good, but in my opinion one thing cripples it: its ATB.

I know what you're all thinking: "What, someone who plays FFs is criticizing the ATB system?" But bear with me. (Or wolf, moose or elk with me, if you so wish)

Seriously, I thought that the CTB system for FFX was the greatest battle system ever devised; for me, the biggest challenge in every FF was trying to navigate the menus quickly enough that the enemy doesn't munch your face. This leads to me having a party full of warriors in every FF I play so that the only thing I have to press is the attack button.

And funnily enough, even though both of the above games have been criticized for storyline, I really don't care. Sure, I played some games for their storyline (Chrono Trigger/Cross, MGS) but when you have a really great and engrossing battle system, most other things fall by the wayside.

Imagine: A game with FF5 job system, the CTB battle, weapon/armor customization, a million sidequests and a story worthy of Bethesda.

Here's hoping;

Kar out.

~EDIT~ I was wondering, why all the FF8 hate? I thought the battle system was well done, the fact that enemies leveled to you made proper equipment, spells and Junctions quite important and the storyline wasn't all that horrible. One of my least favorite parts about most FFs is that without any thought at all, you can grind your way up so that no-one can beat you. FF8 really helped eliminate that.

~EDIT2~Why are there people saying this game is hard? I never had trouble with any of the bosses; Liquid Flame quickly fell to a triple-team of a two-handed Mystic Knight, a Black Mage and a Red mage. Byblos quickly fell to Death Claw. Atomos died in about three turns after facing off with my twin-Double Lance-wielding Ninja. The only time I ever had to try more than once was against Exdeath at the end of World 2.

Seriously. People saying Siren is too difficult should not be playing this game.

This post has been edited by kardar233 on 17th November 2008 02:01
Post #173048
Posted: 6th January 2009 07:43

Onion Knight

Awards:
5 had its moments. I got into this because of FF Tactics, and even though 5 had mediocre characters & plot, I really, really, really LOVE the Job & Ability System.

FF5's gameplay really did help revolutionize how later installments of the series would innovate curious gamers with decent character development systems through abilities.

The music was alright, some songs in my opinion sound rather cheesy, while the rest are quite impressive even though I think FF4 had better arrangement.

Graphics were much better and I thoroughly enjoyed the looks of the backgrounds, bosses, spells, and stuff like that. For a 1992 game, they really did push the SNES to its limits, and went even further with 1994's Final Fantasy 6.

It wasn't too hard if you know your aces.

My first playthrough was a disaster as I always kept getting whooped by bosses!

So I just kept on training and strategizing, learning how to be creative and balance my team to return new & improved. Atleast I'm proud to say that I've only used $GPToss just once against the final boss in the game and that was it.

I don't find a reason to cheat unless if I'm in grave danger on any game.

Overall it's a good game that plays like a true pioneer. Even though I hated the cast, I found Galuf, Faris, and Gilgamesh to be interesting characters.

When I'm tired of playing FF Tactics, I'll pick this gem up afterwards.

~AngelWitch666~

--------------------
I've been locked away for all these years
Now I can see the light of day
Things have changed a lot since I was last out here
I guess that's the way things, way things go
Post #174541
Posted: 7th January 2009 23:00

Onion Knight

Awards:
The job system rocks a metric ton, the rest....does not. The plot is taken directly from FF3 and I just can't bring myself to care about any of the characters. The job system is the ONLY thing that compelled me to finish it and even then it was tough going.

--------------------
No matter how hard I try, I just can't get worried about it!
Post #174584
Posted: 28th February 2009 03:12

Cactuar

Awards:
Loved it !

Loved the characters and the upbeat music it was just like playing through a old story book novel.

Though it is a little hard and still haven't completed the game yet *cry *

Have to say that some bits in the game were strange though, what's up with the main bad guy actually being some sort of a -human tree ?!?

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #175824
Posted: 3rd March 2009 21:20

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 28th March 2004 14:44)
By the way, I played the FFV SNES ROM, and when I realized that the names were changed (Butz->Bartz, Lenna->Reina, Sarisa->Salsa (WTF??), Cara->Krile, Exdeath->X-Death, etc.) I was disappointed. The original names were so much cooler!

EXTREME NECROMANCY of my own post.

I actually issued a ruling on the names. I now officially consider "Bartz" better than "Butz". But "Lenna", "Sarisa", "Cara", "Exdeath", "Guido", etc. are definitely better than "Reina", "Salsa", "Krile", "X-Death", "Gill", etc. (though "Ghido" is acceptable).

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #175923
Posted: 4th March 2009 10:46

Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 3rd March 2009 21:20)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 28th March 2004 14:44)
By the way, I played the FFV SNES ROM, and when I realized that the names were changed (Butz->Bartz, Lenna->Reina, Sarisa->Salsa (WTF??), Cara->Krile, Exdeath->X-Death, etc.) I was disappointed.  The original names were so much cooler!

EXTREME NECROMANCY of my own post.

I actually issued a ruling on the names. I now officially consider "Bartz" better than "Butz". But "Lenna", "Sarisa", "Cara", "Exdeath", "Guido", etc. are definitely better than "Reina", "Salsa", "Krile", "X-Death", "Gill", etc. (though "Ghido" is acceptable).

Finally learned to appreciate the GBA remake eh.. hahaha just kidding. I never really liked "Butz" either because it's quite obvious why! tongue.gif

~AngelWitch666~

--------------------
I've been locked away for all these years
Now I can see the light of day
Things have changed a lot since I was last out here
I guess that's the way things, way things go
Post #175940
Posted: 14th March 2009 13:58

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
It'd be nice if the characters had more development, but I think that the game was well-made. The job system was fun.

--------------------
eh?
Post #176079
Posted: 16th March 2009 22:04

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Kimahri @ 14th March 2009 09:58)
It'd be nice if the characters had more development, but I think that the game was well-made. The job system was fun.

I'm still surprised at myself, to be honest.

The characters weren't very deeply developed, but whatever development there was in the plot was enough for me to connect to it, much better than FFIV.

Maybe it was the Player Punch aspect of some of the things that Exdeath did, that really made me feel emotionally invested in it. There wasn't as much "evil to hate" in FFIV, in comparison.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #176129
Posted: 17th March 2009 05:21

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 3rd March 2009 16:20)

I agree! I have the Anthologies version of FFV and, while I do love this game to pieces, I have to MST "Salsa" every time I see it. (Woohoo! Princess Chip-n-Dip just leveled as a Blue Mage!)

The GBA translation is awesome so far as I've seen - my game's saves are really glitchy so if I ever beat the game on GBA it'll have to be as a no-save run.

--------------------
I figured I had paid my debt to society by paying my overdue fines at the McLennan County Library.

"Oh crap!"
- Bartz

"Huh? Why's everyone singing?"
- Sabin
Post #176143
Posted: 26th March 2009 19:48

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Despite the linear-ness and the fact i never finished it, it was an awesome 16-bit game that ranked in my top three with VI and IV. It was, for me, better than VII, despite the fact im an avid VII fan also.

--------------------
<DrkMagimaster282> MWAHAHA. I,
DrkMagimaster282, shall wreak havoc and destroy...
<Mother>TIIIIIIMMYYY...are you planning evil, unkind revenge again in the bathroom??
<DrkMagimaster282>UMMMMMMMM...NO.

CoN day is May 27th, 2005
Join elder-geek.com for unbiased reviews, no console wars here...
Post #176293
Posted: 27th March 2009 23:30

Black Mage

Awards:
I liked it. My second favorite Final Fantasy. The customization level is awesome. Although I finished the game with two freelancers with spell-blade/rapid-fire and two mimics with white/black/time/summon, so much for originality XD .

Quote (MeaPortia)
I agree! I have the Anthologies version of FFV and, while I do love this game to pieces, I have to MST "Salsa" every time I see it. (Woohoo! Princess Chip-n-Dip just leveled as a Blue Mage!)

Lol, Salsa?! I've only played the Advance version so I didn't knew about this. I guess I could never get used to that name. But then again people are fine with Cloud.

--------------------
"Love, and do what you will" Saint Augustine
Post #176338
Posted: 3rd April 2009 14:15

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Winner of CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. 
I like this game very much, though I haven't finished it. It has nice characters (Galuf! ExDeath!) and music, and the job system is interesting.
Post #176660
Posted: 23rd April 2009 04:00

Onion Knight

Awards:
I'm about 3/4 through and am enjoying myself. GPToss is ridiculous, though.
Post #177007
Posted: 23rd April 2009 04:31

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Gigantuar @ 3rd April 2009 10:15)
I like this game very much, though I haven't finished it. It has nice characters (Galuf! ExDeath!) and music, and the job system is interesting.

Yeah. Sometimes, I think, memorable characters that you can feel very vividly are sometimes better than excessively complex characters that are hard to relate to. The simple plot of FFV helps a lot with keeping characterization simple.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #177009
Posted: 25th April 2009 09:06

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
Heck yes I like it!!!!

Moderator Edit
C'mon, you know that a post like this doesn't add much to the discussion. You can afford to write a bit more. -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 25th April 2009 19:09

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #177033
Posted: 7th May 2009 07:57

Returner

Not sure what people mean when they say this game lacked plot. I found the plot to feel very epic and rewarding, and the ending was great. Sure it was cliche as hell, but aren't all the FF games? Defeat big bad dude, save the world. It may be cliche, but it's powerful and it works. What is more epic than saving the world? I guess there wasn't some huge trite twist like the bad guy being your brother, but it didn't need a gimmick like that.

No hero development? Are you kidding? I think this game had great development for all the main characters, as well as several key NPCs. I think it was just more subtle than in some other games. You kind of had to be paying attention and taking your time. It's kind of like how Crono from Chrono Trigger has great personality without even speaking!

Not to mention the game play is awesome! This was one of the only FF games to actually be challenging at all, even if ExDeath was a bit of a pushover.

After all the negative talk about FFV, I was delighted after finally having played and beat it. I'd say its at least on par with FFIV, and probably just under FFVI in my books.
Post #177225
Posted: 7th May 2009 16:25

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Dreadalus @ 7th May 2009 03:57)
Not sure what people mean when they say this game lacked plot. I found the plot to feel very epic and rewarding, and the ending was great. Sure it was cliche as hell, but aren't all the FF games? Defeat big bad dude, save the world. It may be cliche, but it's powerful and it works. What is more epic than saving the world? I guess there wasn't some huge trite twist like the bad guy being your brother, but it didn't need a gimmick like that.

Exactly my sentiment regarding the plot.

Cliche =/= bad. Cliche only means that it's predictable and goes along with expectations. When it perfectly resonates with expectations, that's also an art.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #177228
Posted: 7th May 2009 19:48

Returner

Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 7th May 2009 16:25)
Exactly my sentiment regarding the plot.

Cliche =/= bad. Cliche only means that it's predictable and goes along with expectations. When it perfectly resonates with expectations, that's also an art.

I couldn't have said it better. When I look back to all of my favorite games, most of them have pretty cliche plots. Square Enix are the kings of making the "Save the world from evil" cliche fresh and exciting every single time they do it.
Post #177239
Posted: 23rd June 2009 06:08

Onion Knight

Awards:
Final Fantasy V? YUCK!!

Well, a bit better than FFVIII. Thanks to the job system I guess...
Post #178480
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: