CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Missingno Glitch

Posted: 8th February 2016 17:13

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Has anyone ever did the missigno cheat in the Pokemon universe? I heard you could level up your chars super fast this way and was wondering.

Moderator Edit
I split this from another topic, because nobody was going to notice it where it was. -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 8th February 2016 19:42

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210472
Posted: 8th February 2016 22:44

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Used to do it all the time. You can duplicate RARE CANDY endlessly, thus = super fast Lv.UP.

In the second generation, POKEMON GOLD/SILVER, you could duplicate Pokemon with a storage BOX glitch.

IIRC, Save your game, then you deposit the PKMN you want duplicated in an EMPTY BOX, then switch boxes, prompting the game to save. When it says DO NOT TURN OFF POWER, wait until right before it saves the game fully and TURN THE POWER OFF.

When you turn the game back on, you should have that PKMN in the same spot it was in your party, but walk up to the PC and switch to that BOX and you should also have a duplicate of that PKMN, right down to gender, moves, stats, exp and level.

Great for EEVEE.

--------------------
Post #210475
Posted: 9th February 2016 00:56

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I abused the heck out of the MissingNo. bug. If I recall, it was somewhat more difficult to pull off in Yellow, but only somewhat. What showed up when you did it depended on what your character was named, so you could find level 110 Bulbasaurs, for instance, or fight Blue and his bizarre collection of 6 glitched pokemon, allowing you to pull of item duplication multiple times in one encounter.

Man. The memories.

--------------------
I shall now return to my cave
Post #210476
Posted: 9th February 2016 04:39

Behemoth

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I did both the MissingNo glitch and the cloning cheat in gen II. It worked, even though it messed up by hall of fame records.

--------------------
Post #210477
Posted: 9th February 2016 21:19

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I've tried it. It works and it is awesome. Depending on what you name your character, it's possible to catch all 150 pokemon using this glitch without trading. There's even a different glitch to catch mew. I'll link tutorials for both below.

Missingno

Mew

--------------------
"You know that feeling you get when you're on a merry go 'round, and you want to jump off to make the spinning stop, but you know it'll suck when you land? I feel like that all the time"- Keno

"I stab my girl until I fall down"
-Yukari
Do you like Horny Bunnies?
Post #210479
Posted: 9th February 2016 22:50

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (No-Name @ 9th February 2016 16:19)
I've tried it. It works and it is awesome. Depending on what you name your character, it's possible to catch all 150 pokemon using this glitch without trading. There's even a different glitch to catch mew. I'll link tutorials for both below.

Missingno

Mew

Oh! Forgot about the Mew glitch! Imagine if someone discovered it in the 90s how nuts it would have been.

I did try it too a few years back. Can confirm it works. And causes endless smile at the Mew you caught technically without cheating.

--------------------
Post #210480
Posted: 10th February 2016 09:12

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Can't imagine how hard mew is to catch.Catching abra is quite hard enough for me and a pain to get.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210481
Posted: 10th February 2016 23:22

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 10th February 2016 04:12)
Can't imagine how hard mew is to catch.Catching abra is quite hard enough for me and a pain to get.

Yeah but Abra is meme famous for being a twat to catch.

Scumbag Abra is one of the best.

user posted image

Basically appears and won't let you escape only to Teleport away.

Mew isn't so hard to catch, really. Just have a lot of Poke'balls and paralyze, it isn't a high level.

--------------------
Post #210488
Posted: 12th February 2016 15:01

Crusader

Awards:
I actually had a kadabra in one of my random runs.They are interesting but not sure how good they really are.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210493
Posted: 13th February 2016 19:15

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 12th February 2016 10:01)
I actually had a kadabra in one of my random runs.They are interesting but not sure how good they really are.

Extremely high Special Attack, good Speed and powerful move set but bad Defense.

I personally do not use Psychic types ever, nor do I use Psychic moves. Just not my thing.

--------------------
Post #210497
Posted: 13th February 2016 21:34

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Psychic mons in gen 1 were horribly overpowered anyway.

Anyway, I beat the E4 in gen 1 with a really low-leveled team. Levels 48-52.

Then I did the item dupe glitch and then lost that record completely.

Oops. Oh well.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #210501
Posted: 14th February 2016 16:21

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 13th February 2016 19:15)

Extremely high Special Attack, good Speed and powerful move set but bad Defense.

I personally do not use Psychic types ever, nor do I use Psychic moves. Just not my thing.

Was kadabra the one with low kick move? Cause god that move is op.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210503
Posted: 16th February 2016 03:47

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 14th February 2016 11:21)
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 13th February 2016 19:15)

Was kadabra the one with low kick move? Cause god that move is op.

Dude, no. Kadabra is Psychic, Low Kick is a Fighting-type move.

I'd say you had a Primeape. But can't remember if Low Kick is in it's move-set. Could have been a Machoke.

And idk what changed about Low Kick from Gen I to Gen II but yes, it was very op in the original games but from Gen II onward, the Attack damage was based off of how heavy the opponent was (the heavier the foe, the more powerful the attack ranging from it's base of 50 to a max of 120).

I know the battle mechanics were slightly different in Gen I, for example, High Critical Hit Ratio Attacks were based off of a Pokemon's Speed stat, so a Persian with Slash can Critical Hit every time, and get STAB. So basically a lot of 1-hit KO.

--------------------
Post #210513
Posted: 16th February 2016 09:53

Crusader

Awards:
Ok you were right it was machopa the low kick.I just remember one shotting enemies with low kick.

I now remember kadabra, and I never liked confuse and some of his other abilities.Psybeam is pretty good though.Im pretty sure I used it but leveling up a abra sucked.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210516
Posted: 18th February 2016 00:32

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 16th February 2016 04:53)
Ok you were right it was machopa the low kick.I just remember one shotting enemies with low kick.

I now remember kadabra, and I never liked confuse and some of his other abilities.Psybeam is pretty good though.Im pretty sure I used it but leveling up a abra sucked.

Yeah like I said, the battle system in Generation I is weird. Psybeam and Psywave rule in Gen. I but suck afterward, Psychic is a terribly overpowered move and the type is just too OP in those games in general.

I always preferred a Mankey/Primeape to Machop/Machoke. Faster, better move set and can be a beast if you teach it one of Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch to use against Ghost/Psychic just in case/

--------------------
Post #210534
Posted: 18th February 2016 15:39

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
They just screwed up giving psychic-type any good counters. Bug-type was horribly underpowered and usually stuck to poison-type, and then ghost-type got shafted with its own (programming) bug and even regardless of that the only ghosts there are in gen 1 are half-poison-type. Poison was just generally too prevalent; if not, even bulky grass-type users could potentially be a foil to psychic-types.

But no, instead, the real "untouchable" type of gen 1 is psychic-type, while the intended one -- dragon -- was one no one touched because it was just too inaccessible -- not to mention that flying-type made dragonite suck more despite all they probably wanted to do was to give it immunity to ground.

Also fun fact: ground attacks can beat up ghosts in gen 1.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #210536
Posted: 20th February 2016 18:28

Cactuar

Awards:
Yeah the dual-type Bug/Poison and Ghost/Poison pisses me off to this day. There are literally no good Bug types that don't have a terrible Stat pool or dual-type. Heracross would be awesome but no, this Bug type is also a Fighting type so it is weak against what it is also strong against (Psychic). Pinsir just flat out sucks (Mega Evolution and everything), bad Defense and crap move pool. Scyther would be great if it weren't also a Flying type and Scizzor sucks horribly as an evolution. Way too weak vs Fire, a Steel that is weak vs Rock, also weak vs Fighting and loses levitate so it is susceptible to Ground.

And I want to like Ghost types, I always really wanted to. But in Gen I there are only 3 and they blow, in Gen 2 they introduced 1 and you couldn't get it until the final dungeon where you fight Red aka Ash Ketchum, some 50+ hours into the game and it sucked (Misdreavus). Even now, the best Ghost type there was, Sableye (because it had no weakness) now is weak vs Fairy type.

And I have a serious problem with the Fairy type and what became Fairy and what didn't and how OP the type is. On one hand I love that a Pokemon such a Mawile is now Steel and Fairy. It was always a lacking Poke. But Chansey is still just Normal, Skitty, Aipom, Smeargle, Eevee, Buneary, and Dunsparce are all just Normal? Dunsparce and Smeargle especially would have greatly benefited from a Mega-Evolution or second Type. Or in the case of Smeargle, it should have just become a Fairy type. Dunsparce definitely should have gotten a Mega-Evo and at least one of the cat types should have become Fairy.

And Mega Evolutions... I'm still on the fence. It was one of numerous welcome additions to the stagnant battle formula but only Pokemon that didn't need a Mega Evolution got one, meaning the ones who were already strong enough. Of course, the main Pokes got them and the most popular and the starters. But there should have been more like Mega-Mawile or Mega-Sableye, Pokemon that don't evolve normally in other words.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 20th February 2016 18:29

--------------------
Post #210538
Posted: 21st February 2016 04:46

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Isn't Gengar still considered overused in the Gen 1 metagame?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #210539
Posted: 22nd February 2016 02:38

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 20th February 2016 23:46)
Isn't Gengar still considered overused in the Gen 1 metagame?

Still, you have to have a link cable to get Gengar and I honestly never had an issue with Gengar except in Gold/Silver vs. Morty because just about your only option at that point in the game is to Mud-Slap the shit out of him since Ghost has no immunity to Ground in Gen. II.

Yeah, Hypnosis misses too much for him to be a real threat. Honestly, you'd have a harder time against a Dunsparce that knows Yawn, Roost, Dream Eater and Return than you would against any Gengar, ever IMO.

--------------------
Post #210541
Posted: 22nd February 2016 13:41

Crusader

Awards:
I think some plant types have hypnosis and I remember some of em really suck.I don't much like drain attacks from bug types or plant types.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210542
Posted: 22nd February 2016 23:50

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 22nd February 2016 08:41)
I think some plant types have hypnosis and I remember some of em really suck.I don't much like drain attacks from bug types or plant types.

Hypnosis is a pretty useless move, IMO. It hits at about 50% and the second it misses you're screwed. Not many other options in Gen. I, but that just means it isn't a good option in the first place. Even Sleep Powder hits at about 50%.

Surprisingly, though, Parasect is an incredibly under-rated Pokemon in Gen. I, it's signature attack is Spore, which hits at 100% and puts the opponent to sleep. Then, the next 3 moves should be Mega Drain, Slash and Sword's Dance. Boom. Sweeper right there.

1st Move: Spore. Then, Sword's Dance. If foe awakens and hits you, Mega Drain then Spore again. Sword's Dance once or twice more then Slash the hell out of everything.

--------------------
Post #210543
Posted: 25th February 2016 17:57

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
With three Swords Dances, Leech Life can 3HKO a Mewtwo.

Which, of course, is the only reason to keep Leech Life on it. To humiliate Mewtwo.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 25th February 2016 17:57

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #210550
Posted: 27th February 2016 13:48

Crusader

Awards:
Fish are also terrible too.Low level fish tech eww.

I don't like ghost Pokemon either.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210558
Posted: 1st March 2016 00:42

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 27th February 2016 08:48)
Fish are also terrible too.Low level fish tech eww.

I don't like ghost Pokemon either.

I'm a huge fan of Remoraid/Octillery. Quilfish is pretty good if you know how to use a Poison-type. I'm a cancer (69) so I have a soft spot for Water-types. Vaporeon is a BEAST. And Fraokie/Fogadier/Greninja is possibly one of the best Pokemon ever if you have Protean.

--------------------
Post #210570
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: