CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Random thoughts about random games

Posted: 22nd January 2016 07:29

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Gotta admit I mostly got inspired by Magitek_slayer's threads on the same matter, except they're all for a single game, instead of this thread which will focus on many in a single thread.

So without further ado...

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Alright, you wake up as a nameless, well, whatever he is, a fox maybe? A bunny? And what woke this nameless one up and gave him the name of Dust was a flying sword, the Blade of Ahrah, who is accompanied by a not-so-Guardian looking Guardian named Fidget who was running after the Blade. After Ahrah, very much a talking sword, gave the nameless one the name of Dust, things went better. Well to the gamer, not to the setting.

It seems a coincidence that monster attacks increased in severity once you woke up, but what I can say, this is just merely an excuse to get enemies into the game so you can slash them and beat them up! Between an attack button, a special attack button, and a Fidget attack button, you chain combos together to beautifully make Ahrah's possessor create quite a show out of it.

The game also got you what you need in a good RPG: an inventory with the ability to sell and buy items from merchants, with rewards for selling rare materials that the merchants actually restock them for you to buy them instead of going to fight many monsters and hopelessly not get the rare material you need... a world map (with the same problem as Assassin's Creed, the inability to mark a position), a Quests page, a Character sheet, save points, remote and inaccessible blacksmiths, what have you. Oh, and side quests that'll probably gain you rewards and or experience points so you could level up Dust and increase (manually or automatically) one of his four stats: Max HP, Attack, Defense, Fidget (for attacks that utilize Fidget, remember the Guardian from above?).

Speaking of Fidget, I feel like she's breaking the 4th wall, and she doesn't leave a chance behind to do just that. Well, she's quite got the altitude sickness crazy mind if you noticed.

The only problem I've met until now is the price of a single Revival Stone, as it goes for around a freakin' 8000 gold pieces. But I guess that's much better than playing FFI NES/PS1 or FF3 NES, where Phoenix Downs are either non-existent, or rare and not sold in shops. They could have been more expensive, but I think for what their price is, they do the job: once you (Dust) get to 0HP, the stone automatically revives you. Kind of like Reraise in Final Fantasy VI, and I've yet to see such the thing in Final Fantasy XIII where it would be EXTREMELY useful when playing as Sazh + Vanille.

That's it for the day. For those wishing to obtain it, the game goes for a solid $15, and is reported to not run well on Windows 10. It CAN run well on Windows 10, I only started playing the game on Windows 10, but you'll need to obtain a different XNA framework installer to run it. Probably because I used the XNA framework of another game, its running on Windows 10. The game also has a Mac OS version, if you own such devices. No such Linux ports at the moment. On the mobile space, I only heard about it hitting iOS; no words about it yet for Android.

https://www.gog.com/game/dust_an_elysian_tail

This post has been edited by Pooka on 22nd January 2016 07:38

--------------------
I am Exdeath. Step aside pesky clowns, or your warranty is Void!
Post #210325
Posted: 22nd January 2016 14:12

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Actually I made a mistake when reviewing assasins creed as I was in the wrong area altogether,But there is no quest menu system just a detail go find new towers and reveal important locations, and when you do reveal said locations you get on your map important locations.

Interesting review of dust.I played the demo and don't remember it.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210327
Posted: 22nd January 2016 15:17

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Heh, and I somehow said that Assassin's Creed had a problem with marking the spots in the map. To be honest it actually allows for that, though the minimap is pretty limited, and I think marking spots can only be done for spots with side missions.

Speaking of maps, there are TWO maps, however way you think of it. The first is the World Map which includes simple marks that you can click to travel to. Once you get into a 'region', you view that region's map, and if you found more than one entrance/exit, you can enter through any of these. Think of The Last Remnant's map system, but with multiple entrances/exits, assuming you played said game.

Its kind of like a Metroidvania actually, with abilities that can be unlocked that can be used to access other areas. There are plenty to see.

--------------------
Post #210328
Posted: 22nd January 2016 17:38

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Then like castlevania symphony of the night? Is that the rpg version of castlevania? I forget.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 22nd January 2016 17:39

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210329
Posted: 22nd January 2016 22:36

Black Mage

Awards:
That I can't answer as I have little experience with the Castlevania series, besides some attempts at the first game and a spin of the second... you know, the not so really beatable NES flood of unbeatable NES games (unless you were the programmer who made the stages, gosh I wanna kill them).

If you want screenshots or video recordings of the game, that I can provide, maybe you are interested in some part of it.

--------------------
Post #210330
Posted: 23rd January 2016 08:50

Crusader

Awards:
Of dust? Sure.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210332
Posted: 25th January 2016 18:14

Black Mage

Awards:
Tried recording Dust today with my favorite video game recorder, it failed. It managed to record the sound remarkably, and also it recorded a white screen for the entirety of the play.

Not sure what to talk about next in games though...

--------------------
Post #210379
Posted: 25th January 2016 19:46

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Have you tried CamStudio?

Or the old LiveStream Procaster if that still exists?

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 25th January 2016 19:47

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #210380
Posted: 28th January 2016 14:58

Crusader

Awards:
How far are y in the game now pooka?

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210404
Posted: 28th January 2016 15:51

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 25th January 2016 21:46)
Have you tried CamStudio?

Or the old LiveStream Procaster if that still exists?

CamStudio? Last time I used it (to record the day when Steam was in glitch mode), only 4GBs of content were recorded, and the footage was scrambled with VLC, and the built in Windows 10 video player couldn't even play it to begin with. So no, I'm not trying that.

I tried LoiLo with the game, which served me well with the records I did with Freedom Planet (with windowed mode on). Haven't tried recording it any other way since then.

Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 28th January 2016 16:58)
How far are y in the game now pooka?

Something like 102%. Yes, 102%. Granted, maybe there's only one last region to explore with its treasures, as well as the conclusion to the story of the game. Finding all the treasures in the game is a tricky job. Because you are expected to collect all the abilities the game offers to you (remember that its a Metroidvania game), and even expects you to master a skill in some way for navigation.

More like I'm actually bothered with collecting all the stars in Super Mario 64...

--------------------
Post #210405
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: