CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Recent Steam security bug (fixed)

Posted: 27th July 2015 05:51

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
So, I was logged into Steam yesterday when something logged me off. Someone had apparently reset my password, and was trying to log in...from the Czech Republic. I wrested control back from them, only to have this process repeated again by someone from a Russian IP address, less than half an hour later.

Thankfully, I'd locked my account the first time something seemed odd -- that's basically the "panic button" that disables almost everything on the account (purchases, key redemptions, even social features).

But then, cue me doing a frantic search for keyloggers on my machine, since there were no suspicious logins on my e-mail account. Also me wondering, did the attacker(s) really have a network of thousands of computers at which to brute-force the 5-character password reset code?

Turns out, someone happened to discover that when you do a password reset, Steam sends a code to your account's e-mail address, which you need don't need to enter at all, just leave it blank, and voila, enter your new password twice and enjoy. Now you can log into any account! ...well, provided that they don't have Steam Guard enabled to keep you from using a new device. Thankfully that part still worked right. (I would presume someone tried to blank-entry that one too...)

demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPl_BJoBaVA

FYI it's since been fixed, and Valve has sent a mass e-mail about this matter.

So I'll see y'all fellow Steam users back on Steam whenever Support finally gets around to unlocking my account.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209425
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: