CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
My thoughts on dark soul.

Posted: 29th December 2016 11:44

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Alright so as you know:I got dark souls prepare to die edition.

The game has a lot of variety, and weapons are so very important in this game.Literally:You have to pay attention to the weapons a lot to kill certain enemies.

Now to real thoughts as this isn't a manual thus far:

1:Griefers:In dark souls you have a lot of players who are low level but high level weapons and have elemental weapons.These players are campers like in wow who have antisocial behavioral charasteristics, and just want to make the game not fun.They will do things like camp low levels as a low level themselves having high lvl weapon or making the lowbies kill or hit a merchant, making newbies suffer from being able to buy stuff.This is pretty underhanded and very nasty thing to do, and it hurts players a lot.Luckily from what i hear, in dark souls 2, your total souls farmed scales with the levels of others as to prevent this from happening, as it can ruin the game.

2:Some moments can be truly unfair, like the capra demon:Capra Demon

See the dogs? Those guys are truly unfair, as they will box you in if your not careful and you will get murdered by the capra demon boss.Dogs are also a royal pain to kill too, as they are always faster than you and always get in their lunge before you can thrust stab them.Even if you try to stab them, they will jump around.Only way i know to get around this, is to stab them not in the face, but in their belly.There are many MANY enemies who are frustrating and unfair sometimes in this game.One annoying enemy who is easy to kill but so annoying, are rats.Rats poison you when they hit you, and if you are early in the game, you likely haven't bought any poison cure.The way poison works in this game, is it builds up and eventually you are fully poisoned.

Basilisks

Basilisks are the worse.It costs 6 grand yes you heard me:6 grand in souls to buy a stone to cure curse.If you get cursed, you instantly die and turn to stone.When you respawn, you have a status called curse, which halves your hp bar.These guys aren't too bad i think actually, but its so so expensive.Actually, i think thieves are worse, as they are annoying to kill in groups.

Another thing i think is kind of unfair, is that you have to kind of wander around aimlessly to figure out where to go.There seems to be few hints except for the key you got.

This game definitely lives up to being frustrating.

Check these bosses out:

Boss 1

Taurus Demon boss 2
Boss 3
Moonlight Butterfly Boss 4
Capra:Boss 5
Gaping dragon boss 6

I am on boss 6 at the moment, and you can see why its so interesting.Its frustrating, but then when you win, you are so thrilled that you want to keep on going.

Also:There is lots of variety to weapons armor sets and play styles.You can play as a 2 hand sword wielding sorcerer, or a two hand wielding pyromancer if you wanted, or just a pure melee.

Also:Depending on your starting key, and how well you know the game, you can skip parts and go fight bosses out of order.

Pros so far:

Awesome bosses that are Terrifying and thrilling, and when you kill them it feels rewarding.

Really good variety in weapons with variety of skills to use, and lots of abilities like pyromancy and sorcery.

You can kill bosses out of order and do what you want.

Lots of different enemies in the game with different strategies to adapt to.
Has multiplayer for bosses(Never used yet, because i die a lot, and i get murdered by players)
Has pvp
Beautiful graphics

Cons:

Not much music so far.There are a few pieces but it feels like most of the time there is no music, except for boss fights and a few places.

Griefers ruin the experience for newbies like myself by killing players who have no equipment, and forcing those players to hit or kill a important merchant to ruin their experience.

Some bosses can seem very unfair, like capra with its stupid dogs.

Lack of clues to direction

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211806
Posted: 29th December 2016 19:21

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I have a couple friends on PSN who have the plat for this game. They warned me about the griefers. I'm more of a solo player so I'll probably play this game offline if I ever play it.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #211809
Posted: 30th December 2016 10:33

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
The problem with that is:Players can also help you kill bosses too, and help you find the right path in places.

Oh yeah I'm in blight town and its every bit as bad as the legend says.The place is hell on earth.Horrid pitfalls everywhere, poisonous enemies everywhere, enemies pushing you off, fire breathing dogs that are really annoying, fire breathing bugs, and horrible mosquitoes that poison you.

I'm at sens fortress boss iron golem.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 1st January 2017 09:41

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211817
Posted: 2nd January 2017 15:58

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I've heard of the griefers too, specifically how they use stupidly-powerful equipment that's nonoptimal compared to leveling but allows them to stay within level bounds and player-kill like crazy.

Gives me one more reason not to play the game, honestly. Though I wasn't really planning on doing so anyway.

I was on the fence. On one hand, there's so much praise for it being a great game, and I also do like exploration games. On the other hand, the gameplay is slow, and the comparisons to Castlevania are in my opinion inaccurate because my idea of Castlevania involves a frequent, rich, evocative soundtrack, which Dark Souls lacks (which might make the game a lot less fun).

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 2nd January 2017 15:58

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211835
Posted: 3rd January 2017 09:18

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 2nd January 2017 15:58)
I've heard of the griefers too, specifically how they use stupidly-powerful equipment that's nonoptimal compared to leveling but allows them to stay within level bounds and player-kill like crazy.

Gives me one more reason not to play the game, honestly.  Though I wasn't really planning on doing so anyway.

I was on the fence.  On one hand, there's so much praise for it being a great game, and I also do like exploration games.  On the other hand, the gameplay is slow, and the comparisons to Castlevania are in my opinion inaccurate because my idea of Castlevania involves a frequent, rich, evocative soundtrack, which Dark Souls lacks (which might make the game a lot less fun).

Funny you mention castlevania.

Castlevania 4
Sens fortress

Its funny because even though its nothing like castlevania it has a few similarities:Its full of horrible traps everywhere.Giant Balls that roll after you, spike elevator traps with blood, and pendulums that swing and cut you to bits pushing you into a tar pit.

Also:You can play the game as a hollow and never worry about griefers, like i have.Granted:You won't be able to get help for bosses or get help from players, but its beatable.

Added info:

So far:I'm confused about the story and you can't repeatedly ask for the story, so right now i don't know whats going on.I think dark souls puts gameplay and asthetics over story.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 9th January 2017 09:18

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211843
Posted: 15th January 2017 16:15

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I should point out that for anyone put off by griefers in this game. You can play through the entire game in an undead state which stops anyone from 'invading' and entering your world. Honestly, the main reason for using humanity to get yourself out of that undead state is so you can summon help to make the game easier or play with friends. So the invaders / griefers are there to balance this out and stop things being too easy if you plan to finish the whole game with friends.

I do highly recommend it, great fun playing solo or with friends. I like to mix it up a bit. Sadly, as Glenn says the music is generally lacking. That would be the one thing standing in the way of it getting a perfect 10.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #211922
Posted: 17th January 2017 00:16

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (fatman @ 15th January 2017 16:15)
I should point out that for anyone put off by griefers in this game. You can play through the entire game in an undead state which stops anyone from 'invading' and entering your world. Honestly, the main reason for using humanity to get yourself out of that undead state is so you can summon help to make the game easier or play with friends. So the invaders / griefers are there to balance this out and stop things being too easy if you plan to finish the whole game with friends.

I do highly recommend it, great fun playing solo or with friends. I like to mix it up a bit. Sadly, as Glenn says the music is generally lacking. That would be the one thing standing in the way of it getting a perfect 10.

Since i accidentally deleted my save file, i'm playing through it a second time.I have a strength/faith build this time round just for something different.

The story is very vague and confusing.You will have to purposely look up the videos on youtube to read in on all discussions in game.

Overall:The game has a lot of replayability.

also:I heard in dark souls 3 that players can randomly invade you whenever now and there is nothing you can do, and if they want to be jerks, all you can do is use humanity to make them go away.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211932
Posted: 18th January 2017 09:33

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
No, Dark Souls 3 is similar to Dark Souls. If you stay in that undead state, no one can invade. Or you can just play offline. The story and background story for these games are intentionally vague. The players interpret what's happening for themselves, not something that works for everyone but at least no one can accuse it of being generic or repeating the same old overused tropes, clichés, etc.

--------------------
Post #211947
Posted: 19th January 2017 15:36

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (fatman @ 18th January 2017 09:33)
No, Dark Souls 3 is similar to Dark Souls. If you stay in that undead state, no one can invade. Or you can just play offline. The story and background story for these games are intentionally vague. The players interpret what's happening for themselves, not something that works for everyone but at least no one can accuse it of being generic or repeating the same old overused tropes, clichés, etc.

maybe it was dark souls 2 and i was misremembering.I am hearing some bad things about dark souls 2, but i dunno maybe some day i'l get around to it.

I do think dark souls has some unfair situations by the way, and i wish there was a better way of farming souls other than painted world of ariamis.So far:My favorite method of farming souls is painted world of ariamis, because its fast, and its 7k souls every 30 seconds.I think as well some deaths are just so cheap, like those stupid dart guys in blight town.I have screamed at the tv a lot and gotten angry, but by far:The worse are those stupid dart guys with toxic status.Even though silver knight archers are annoying, they don't reach how truly annoying these guys are.Because of them, you are forced to die a lot just to get the items, and that really sucks.

Also:A lot of people i met are really nice in game.I have met people offering to help me in getting cash and i refused because i can do so easily.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 19th January 2017 15:44

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211964
Posted: 19th January 2017 15:52

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
It looks like Diablo in full 3-D with more advanced play mechanics

I dunno...it seems like everyone says it's too hard, that's all I keep hearing.

I think I'll stick to Contra.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #211965
Posted: 20th January 2017 11:42

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Spooniest @ 19th January 2017 15:52)

It is very hard, and kind of unfair too.You have to read messages on the floor to learn the controls instead of a voice or cutscene showing you the controls.Its hard to get used to at first and very confusing, and because of the lack of direction, you will get killed a lot.

Also:The music in this game is lacking except in a few places and the boss fights, which are there to magnify how epic the battle is supposed to be.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211977
Posted: 20th January 2017 16:39

SOLDIER

Awards:
Quote (Spooniest @ 19th January 2017 15:52)

It does have a reputation for its difficulty but that's only fair in comparison to modern games where most of them tend to hold your hand.
Diablo 3 is about crowd control where fighting 30 enemies at once is fairly common. Fighting more than 2 or 3 enemies in Dark Souls at once is generally a bad idea. Choose your targets carefully and use terrain to your advantage. Fight enemies on you own terms where you can and if it's too high risk, run away to fight another day.

--------------------
Post #211980
Posted: 20th January 2017 19:04

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
If anything I'm rather tired of the meme of using Dark Souls as the meterstick of video game difficulty.

From what I understand, the difficulty comes mostly from the game not really telling you how to do things before you run into them, and forcing you to learn them and figure them out on your own, through trial-and-error.

But considering a legacy of...Ghosts and Goblins, the "Classicvanias", Ninja Gaiden, Nethack, and more, as well as more recent games ranging from the Ys games to Etrian Odyssey to I Wanna Be The Guy and Super Meat Boy...how is this something so distintively notable?

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 20th January 2017 19:07

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211981
Posted: 21st January 2017 20:05

SOLDIER

Awards:
In my experience Super Meat Boy, Ninja Gaiden and Ghosts and Goblins are all far more difficult. Too difficult for my liking.
One advantage to being online in Dark Souls is the friendly players will leave notes written on the ground giving you hints as to upcoming traps, treasures or advice on what might help to defeat a particularly tough enemy. I think that more than makes up for there being no tutorial level. It's really not that bad, it's just as the game doesn't constantly hold your hand, it feels like a real accomplishment when you defeat a boss.

--------------------
Post #211982
Posted: 22nd January 2017 11:10

Crusader

Awards:
Thing about dark souls signs is:They can be deceptive.You can have some troll post something nasty like:Jump down here or something mean and get people killed and a whole bunchof them are posted at times.Sometimes nothing at all.

I just think we shouldn't have to look up how the controls work in google thats all.The rest is fine but its a flawed system if there isn't even a tutorial on what stats does or:info in the manual on how each stat works.

Granted:If the manual thing was solved, then i don't think there would be any problems.

Also:I want to add something else i just remembered:

I agree on one review that the reuse of the abyss guardian is stupid.There are 3 versions of the same first boss in the game:

Abyss Guardian
Stray Demon
Fire Sage.

Even the moveset is really similar.I think when it comes to these bosses, they got kind of lazy.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 22nd January 2017 15:57

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #211984
Posted: 27th January 2017 00:11

Crusader

Awards:
I just beat the game.I beat lord gwyn and found out there are two endings in the game, so that adds yet another fun thing in the game.

The end.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #212025
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll