CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Generic FF topic. Let's cover multiple questions!

Posted: 2nd April 2014 13:52

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I like to talk about the original FF and it hasn't exactly garnered much discussion on this forum lately so I thought I'd make this "cover all" topic for a little general discussion on the game with the regular posters here without making multiple topics or necrobumping any more of the old ones than I already have. While I'm sure nobody really cares about my random opinions on it, I figured I'd give this the ole' college try and see who takes the bait.

I'll start simple. When did you first play it? What version? What versions have you played and what is your personal favorite?
Post #206537
Posted: 2nd April 2014 14:48

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
First FF was FFIV, SNES version (i.e. "Final Fantasy II"). I briefly played the GBA version. Still kinda prefer the SNES version's quirky misnames and stuff, mostly out of nostalgia I guess. Also, the five-character spell names were kinda cool. Also made "Meteo" a unique name. I still prefer that over "Meteor". (That said, "White" is a bit generic...if they changed that to "Pearl" that might actually be pretty cool, so it wouldn't just be a generic holy-elemental name like "Holy".)

Still think it has too many plot twists, though. At various points, I felt that I just didn't get the intended feels from the plot twist.

Also never liked Kain. I used savestates to make sure he got offed by the Trap Doors.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #206538
Posted: 2nd April 2014 16:30

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I should preface this with "I was talking about the original FF" but instead I'm going to tell you what a dirty kaka poo-poo head and how much I hate your face, guts and liver for disparaging the great name of Kain! He's the best FF character in the entire series!

Harping on Nintendo of America's less than endearing censorship is something to do though.
Post #206540
Posted: 2nd April 2014 17:33

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Billdolfski @ 2nd April 2014 09:52)
I like to talk about the original FF and it hasn't exactly garnered much discussion on this forum lately so I thought I'd make this "cover all" topic for a little general discussion on the game with the regular posters here without making multiple topics or necrobumping any more of the old ones than I already have.

I have a hunch this might work against you in the long run, for what it's worth. Hard to respond over time as more random topics come up among subgroups of people posting in this thread. We shall see. wink.gif Additionally, necroing threads around here isn't frowned upon as long as it's for a real post.
I'll start simple.  When did you first play it?  What version?  What versions have you played and what is your personal favorite?

I first played it a few weeks after the initial release, for the NES, the first time I saw it actually on the shelves at my local game rental shop. I talk about that some more in a CoNcast. I have played at least some portion of every version released in the US, I think - NES, PSX, GBA, PSP (and other ports based on PSP like mobile). My favorite is the PSP version, due to the breadth of content and the art style. It's got all the fun stuff that was added in GBA, plus some, and I've commented on the CoNcast before how much I enjoy the art direction that the PSP games took, though I can't remember which episode. I think I touch on it in the most recent ep, even though that episode was about FF4 and not FF1.

Edit
Oh, yeah, and since the topic of censorship came up, here's a CoNcast about that too!

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 2nd April 2014 17:36

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #206541
Posted: 2nd April 2014 18:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Oh, my bad. For not discussing FFI. I stand by my dissing Kain. :PPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Anyway, I first played FFI's NES version, some time after I'd played the SNES FF games. After I'd joined CoN, actually. And specifically, I think, after I played FF3 (NES) about halfway. I had decided that I was gonna be a serious FF fan...this was back when I actually had the crazy idea of actually caring about my gaming "repertoire" and being able to point to how many FF games I had played and beaten. Heh.

I think I got as far as the second dungeon or so. I know I got to Matoya at least. Then I put it down. I think it just felt kinda tedious.

Haven't tried the newer versions.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #206543
Posted: 2nd April 2014 21:17

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51)
have a hunch this might work against you in the long run, for what it's worth. Hard to respond over time as more random topics come up among subgroups of people posting in this thread. We shall see. wink.gif Additionally, necroing threads around here isn't frowned upon as long as it's for a real post.

Fair enough. We'll see what happens and if enough people start discussing I'll certainly branch it off.

Quote (Rangers51)
My favorite is the PSP version, due to the breadth of content and the art style. It's got all the fun stuff that was added in GBA, plus some, and I've commented on the CoNcast before how much I enjoy the art direction that the PSP games took, though I can't remember which episode.

What can you tell me about the versions differences, especially any additions to the GBA version. I do have a Vita and I don't really see the harm in buying another version of FF (Square has gotten plenty of money out of me over the years) but it's difficulty level, if anything near Dawn of Souls is laughable without me starting on a tangent. Perhaps I'd just enjoy it to see what it is.

Quote (Glenn Magus Dunderhead)
Oh, my bad. For not discussing FFI. I stand by my dissing Kain. :PPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Anyway, I first played FFI's NES version, some time after I'd played the SNES FF games. After I'd joined CoN, actually. And specifically, I think, after I played FF3 (NES) about halfway. I had decided that I was gonna be a serious FF fan...this was back when I actually had the crazy idea of actually caring about my gaming "repertoire" and being able to point to how many FF games I had played and beaten. Heh.

I think I got as far as the second dungeon or so. I know I got to Matoya at least. Then I put it down. I think it just felt kinda tedious.

I've concluded that the disaster including a notorious package delivered to Mist must have clearly been some kind of error and definitely should have been en route to your hometown instead.

This post has been edited by Billdolfski on 2nd April 2014 21:18
Post #206545
Posted: 2nd April 2014 21:55

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Billdolfski @ 2nd April 2014 17:17)
What can you tell me about the versions differences, especially any additions to the GBA version. I do have a Vita and I don't really see the harm in buying another version of FF (Square has gotten plenty of money out of me over the years) but it's difficulty level, if anything near Dawn of Souls is laughable without me starting on a tangent. Perhaps I'd just enjoy it to see what it is.

It is a gentler experience in much the way DoS is. Nowhere near as hard as the original. It adds yet another dungeon beyond the four that DoS added.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #206547
Posted: 3rd April 2014 16:19

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I'm still going to get the PSP version but because of that, I don't know if I can make it through DoS.

I'm in one of the bonus dungeons and all I do is hold the confirm button down and spam attacks, with 2 mages and I blast through all random encounters in a matter of seconds. Then I get to a boss, and I annihilate it. I did run into an Abyss Worm (Earthgift Shrine) and it actually hit pretty hard and took at least a few rounds to take down. That was a random encounter, not one of the "bosses." They bosses are also frustrating because every time you face one you have to exit the dungeon. This is all on level 5 so i'm sure there is more to it because I'm thinking there are 10 levels but I asked somebody about the game and they said I wouldn't be ready for any of this until post game and now I'm wishing I messed with it earlier because then I would have at least cared about the equipment I'm finding.

*Sigh
Post #206562
Posted: 3rd April 2014 17:13

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Here's to the most unforgiving, tight-fisted, scream inducing rpg of this entire series. I'm not talking about the nerfed latter versions, with the upped statistics and the magic points. I'm talking the spell limit, underpowered, no map having, desk smashing, and glorious beginning to the series. The dreaded NES version, first played by me in the late 80's/early 90's.

This version does not stand up to the test of time (what?!?!? I have only 3 level three spells, and the thief just killed the guy I targeted with the spell I just cast, now I cast the spell at NOTHING?!?), with clunky gameplay, no plot, stunted graphics, and horrible translations.

For the time, however, it was cutting edge. At the time, there was little to compare it to, for the lower middle class American male. Two Dragon Warrior games, and two Ultima games, which showed static enemy poses with horrid and squealing sound effects with an endless loop of 5 second battle music. Compared to the other games, there was no need to scroll through a menu to just talk to someone, open a door, or even peeking into a barrel (there was stuff in barrels! Woo-hoo!). Ultima: Quest of the Avatar had a balloon, but screw that- FF had an airship! How awesome was that?

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #206563
Posted: 3rd April 2014 17:30

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Honestly? It could be a lot worse.

It's tough and unforgiving for sure, but the more you learn about it, the easier it gets. Of course, challenge runs can drastically change that but I'm not a masochist, so I don't worry about those.

It was a big advance from Dragon Warrior (I can't say too much about Ultima, despite the importance of the series, because I've not put enough time in them) simply from the party system, with characters you get to choose and the expansive spell system... even if a fair bit of them were bugged. Despite it's failures, I feel that it was revolutionary at the time and it started and era and with my rose tinted glasses, it certainly did for me.

Oh, and yes... the airship.

This post has been edited by Billdolfski on 4th April 2014 00:08
Post #206564
Posted: 10th April 2014 00:17

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
From everything I can tell, the PSP version of FF is not available on PSN. What is frustrating about this is I'm near convinced it used to be able to be (I chose Origins over that version, I thought) but I can't seem to find it now. If you look on PSN's website it even has it listed as available on PSP and PS Vita. Oh well.

There is a bright side to this. You can now get FFV (the PSX version) and you didn't use to be able to which was a bit of a sore spot of with me. So I got a strike, but at least I got V.

This post has been edited by Billdolfski on 17th April 2014 16:31
Post #206586
Posted: 17th April 2014 08:52

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
When did you first play it?

I can't remember but it must of been around about 2008

What version?

NES and PSONE

What versions have you played and what is your personal favorite?

NES

PSONE

GBA

PSP

Guess got to say the PSP, because of the way that they do the magical spells. Pretty.

This post has been edited by berryfunny on 17th April 2014 08:53

--------------------
Top Three fave Final Fantasies Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy V [ GBA ]
Post #206625
Posted: 17th April 2014 20:39

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I have never actually played this game, and would like too. Which consoles are the game on?

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #206629
Posted: 18th April 2014 00:32

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (HolyCeles @ 17th April 2014 16:39)
I have never actually played this game, and would like too. Which consoles are the game on?

Every one. Like... every one.
  • NES
  • PSX
  • GBA
  • Wii VC
  • PlayStation Network
  • iOS
  • Android

They're not all the same version, of course.

--------------------

Post #206630
Posted: 18th April 2014 08:32

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
K thanks R51.

--------------------
Excuse me? Would you mind not talking while I'm interupting?
Post #206631
Posted: 27th April 2014 16:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Don't forget the Wonderswan Color! It's might likely he's playing it on that anyway tongue.gif
Post #206686
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: