CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Enemies with the boss marker/flag?

Posted: 9th April 2011 03:03

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
In this post: http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/forums/ipb/in...=0&#entry193504
...R51 mentions that some enemies are marked, in at least one version of this game, with an internal boss marker.

What are these enemies, and why are they marked? Even when some of them are not bosses?

Are there any bosses that are not marked this way?

And what does this mark mean in terms of the game's programming? Does it trigger boss music, or something?

...actually, that's a question I can think up a test for: What marks the Mask enemies in the very definitely final dungeon to get boss music?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #194086
Posted: 2nd May 2011 23:56

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
This is just kind of a guess, but I think it may be just a check for whether or not you can flee. I remember there being several random encounter enemies that you cannot run from. That could explain why some non-bosses are there.
Or it may be a check for things more relevant to the player, like which battle music to play or ability to access certain parts of the story (e.g. Once you have 22 flags checked, the game shows you the cutscene that gives you the Enterprise).

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #194566
Posted: 3rd May 2011 14:09

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
This is the first time I've looked at this thread where I was actually on a computer built in a way that was conducive to checking a couple things and responding.

I can't tell you all the enemies that are marked off the top of my head, though I would say that any that are marked and have not been un-verified through forum threads are still marked as bosses in the SNES/PSX versions of FF4 on the site. That should give you a pretty good list.

I also can't tell you what it means in terms of the game's programming, as I'm not looking at source here, nor would I know what to do if I were. I'm a user interface programmer, not one of those weirdos that chops up assembly code for fun. wink.gif

However, I will say that both GMH's assumption about boss music and DarkPaladin's assumption about the inability to flee are reasonable guesses, the former probably more than the latter (because I believe that, at least in the case of EvilMask, you can still flee with Edge's spell, even though you can't run - my memory's a bit shaky there, though, as I haven't played FF4 fully since the GBA version).

If anyone really wants to poke at this themselves, I can certainly point you to the editor I've used (though, for obvious reasons, not the ROM).

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #194596
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: