CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
PS4 Neo

Posted: 5th July 2016 19:59

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
So as you may have heard, there's a new version of the PS4 being released.

I was JUST ABOUT to buy a PS4 when this news became official. Now, I understand that the Neo is more of an upgrade than a new system, but I don't want to buy a regular PS4 if it's just going to be "last gen" in a few months. I view this as a technological investment, especially if it's 4K compatible because the price of 4K TVs are dropping and I'll probably pick one up eventually.

So I guess my question for the CON community is - should I wait for the Neo to be released so I can have an upgraded experience, or are the differences negligible enough that I should go ahead and buy a PS4 now?

Below are some of the spec comparisons. I'm not sure if the system has an official release date yet, but I'm hoping to play FFXV when it comes out in September, to the extent that factors into the equation.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/ps4-neo-vs-ps4-ps4k

This post has been edited by MetroidMorphBall on 5th July 2016 20:00
Post #211015
Posted: 5th July 2016 20:29

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I'm considering a PS4 myself, and I'll tell you what I'll be doing: I'll be waiting for the 4's price drop and then picking that up when I feel like it after that. There are a few reasons for this tack:
1. I don't play video games enough, especially on console, to care if I have one as soon as XV comes out.
2. Prices may be dropping, but I consider myself several years from having a full end to end setup for 4k viewing. I won't be upgrading my physical media any time soon, there isn't much media available in general in 4k that makes me want to be an early adopter, and I won't be buying any new TVs until I have to.
3. I'm not aching to have my games play in 60fps, I have no interest in VR, and it seems from your link like the Neo won't play games in 4k. So, really, none of the enhancements there are worth the money to me.

So, no judgement to you or anyone else in the market for one - if you find yourself disagreeing with any of the things I said up there, then maybe a Neo is for you. But if you found yourself nodding along, well... smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #211017
Posted: 5th July 2016 22:00

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 5th July 2016 12:29)
I'm considering a PS4 myself, and I'll tell you what I'll be doing: I'll be waiting for the 4's price drop and then picking that up when I feel like it after that.

Well Josh, I've been waiting around for a PS4 price drop since it was released and outside of the modest $50 cut that occurred last holiday season, don't really see it happening. PS4 came out at a competitive price point and doesn't seem to be losing much sales momentum (XBOne, by comparison, has had several price cuts after underperforming in sales). It's possible, and anticipated, that the release of Neo will cause the regular PS4 to eventually lower in price, but who knows when that will happen? It's just as likely Neo will be released at a higher price point and PS4 sticks around at $350 for awhile.

There are a few reasons for this tack:
1. I don't play video games enough, especially on console, to care if I have one as soon as XV comes out.

Which I can appreciate as I've been in a similar situation the past few years. But now I not only have some time to play video games, I find myself wanting to play video games, especially with FFXV and FFVII Remake coming out.

2. Prices may be dropping, but I consider myself several years from having a full end to end setup for 4k viewing. I won't be upgrading my physical media any time soon, there isn't much media available in general in 4k that makes me want to be an early adopter, and I won't be buying any new TVs until I have to.

True, I don't want one just as a conversation piece either, and it will take some time for most media to make 4K the norm. But it will happen eventually. Look at how quickly DVDs gave way to Blu Rays.

...it seems from your link like the Neo won't play games in 4k.

That is an important consideration, although it does seem likely it will be able to play video in 4K. So again, if I'm planning to get a 4K TV then why not have a potential 4K media player built into my PS4 so I can just run everything through one device?
Post #211018
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: