CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Zozo untouched?

Posted: 20th April 2015 03:53

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
So, I was playing through FFVI, and I noticed something.
Zozo seems practically untouched in the WoR. To me, it looks exactly the same as it did in the WoB, minus a few more drunk people.
What the chocobos. I can't find any screenshots to compare with, so I'm relying on memory.

Why would Zozo not be destroyed? huh.gif

--------------------

"I'll be judge, I'll be jury," said cunning old Fury:
"I'll try the whole cause, and condemn you to death.
Post #208533
Posted: 20th April 2015 04:22

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2019. Third place in CoNCAA, 2018. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Second place in CoNCAA, 2015. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
There's only so much you can do with pixel art and creatively placing tiles. I'm guessing that the artists and level designers already applied their skills to making Zozo look destroyed in the WoB. Trying to convey that those destroyed tiles were now more destroyed seems low in terms of effect / time dedicated. There's also no further story in Zozo, so there's nothing to dictate how the town would change. For instance, the story in Miranda seems hopeless, so the town has a desolate feel. The story in Tzen is that people are trying to build and continue with their lives despite Kefka and the light of Judgement - also, there's a need for a large building to collapse. The layout and graphics of the town reflect this.

You know, Kefka was always very aware of style and appearances. Perhaps he respected Zozo as a monument to nihilism and didn't want to ruin someone else's work of art.

This post has been edited by Iain Peregrine on 20th April 2015 04:23
Post #208534
Posted: 20th April 2015 04:40

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Iain Peregrine @ 19th April 2015 21:22)

You know, Kefka was always very aware of style and appearances. Perhaps he respected Zozo as a monument to nihilism and didn't want to ruin someone else's work of art.

That doesn't seem plausible to me. Sorry, but he doesn't seem the type who'd care about other people's work; in my opinion, he'd blow it up anyway. It's an interesting point though.
Hm... The Other Half just suggested that he possibly grew up in Zozo.

--------------------

Post #208536
Posted: 20th April 2015 06:03

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Or maybe he was flinging bolts of destruction intentionally aimed at towns and cities and plains and forests and anywhere that looked "nice", and Zozo already looked like a ****hole so he was like, "No, I won't zap that, it'll be funny!".

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #208538
Posted: 20th April 2015 11:34

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Yeah, I think this is one of those things where it doesn't pay dividends to think about it all that hard. There are more than a few places he didn't completely wipe out, like the Opera House, the Colosseum, or even Figaro Castle (sure, it can go underground, but this is a guy who was ripping continents apart - if he wanted to, surely Kefka could have hit it?)

If there needs to be an explanation more in-universe than "it's expedient for the gameplay to leave those areas untouched," I'd just go with, maybe, "he was distracted by Deathgaze flying around." smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #208541
Posted: 20th April 2015 17:00

Behemoth

Awards:
First thing I would say is that the world destruction was not a total annihilation or levelling of buildings, it was more of a restructuring, like violently quick tectonic shifts.

As for the Light of Judgment, I think that he was in part targeting places where the Returners were active. He strikes the building in Albrook right when Celes arrives and she and Sabin are reunited. He also seems to target places where a lot of activity, especially rebuilding, occurs. I imagine that Zozo was just off of his radar, or that entire region was. I agree that maybe those people had become nihilistic, and some hedonistic, not in the position to start rebellion or defy Kefka. Also, I think that Figaro Castle was stuck underground.

--------------------
Post #208545
Posted: 21st April 2015 00:03

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 19th April 2015 23:03)
Or maybe he was flinging bolts of destruction intentionally aimed at towns and cities and plains and forests and anywhere that looked "nice", and Zozo already looked like a ****hole so he was like, "No, I won't zap that, it'll be funny!".

That seems like something he'd do, actually. ohmy.gif
I really disliked Zozo, so I was frustrated when it was exactly the same in the WoR.
That was probably the intention actually. "You don't like Zozo? Good! It's staying EXACTLY the same!"

In response to Ranger 51, I'm sure that Kefka most certainly could have destroyed Figaro Castle, if he were willing to put the effort into it. Despite being a god at this point, he doesn't at all seem omnipotent. He doesn't know everything- and after Figaro Castle didn't turn up after x amount of time, he probably figured they were all dead and stopped looking. This is under the assumption that he's not all-powerful and all-knowing. If he was, I don't think any of the Returners would have lived long enough to even reunite.

--------------------

Post #208552
Posted: 21st April 2015 10:35

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Ker @ 20th April 2015 20:03)
In response to Ranger 51, I'm sure that Kefka most certainly could have destroyed Figaro Castle, if he were willing to put the effort into it. Despite being a god at this point, he doesn't at all seem omnipotent. He doesn't know everything- and after Figaro Castle didn't turn up after x amount of time, he probably figured they were all dead and stopped looking. This is under the assumption that he's not all-powerful and all-knowing. If he was, I don't think any of the Returners would have lived long enough to even reunite.

OK, but I'm sticking with this:

If there needs to be an explanation more in-universe than "it's expedient for the gameplay to leave those areas untouched," I'd just go with, maybe, "he was distracted by Deathgaze flying around." 

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 21st April 2015 10:35

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #208559
Posted: 21st April 2015 16:27

Behemoth

Awards:
Alright, but I'll stick with this...

Quote (BlitzSage... literally two posts earlier)
Also, I think that Figaro Castle was stuck underground.

That is, after all, the whole point of the WoR Edgar storyline.

--------------------
Post #208562
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: