CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy All-Stars Discussion

Posted: 9th March 2016 11:33

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Of course the musical comparison between FFVII and FFV differs a bit. First off, the first has two world map themes, while the second has three.

FFVII's first world map theme feels calm, and fitting for such a dangerous journey. However the second world map theme took that calmness away. Meteor's flying over the planet, everyone.

Meanwhile, FFV's first world map theme is sort of welcoming to a grand adventure, and it doesn't suck in that regard. It feels upbeat. The second world map theme focuses less on being welcoming and more on fitting the theme of the second world; an unknown strange land being explored. Which is also nice. The last world map theme fits the party's overall spirit after Galuf was casted away, along with the theme of multiple towns being lost in the void.

Of course, there is something essential here. While FFVII has one appropriately sized world map, FFV has three. Two medium-sized, and the third being a merger of the last two for one heck of a great world map that can be traversed with a single Chocobo ride.

And the third world still manages to hold up a sad impression. It didn't need a Meteor looming over the sky (FFVII) or for the world to turn red and bleak (FFVI). All it needed was the loss of a main character, a loss of a couple of important towns including Bartz's hometown, and whatnot, to carry that effect.

--------------------
I am Exdeath. Step aside pesky clowns, or your warranty is Void!
Post #210595
Posted: 9th March 2016 22:38

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
All 3 games focus on different things:

FF7 is kinda a downer since the world is about to be destroyed as we know it.
FF5 is a downer because places are being sucked into the void and galuf is dead
FF6 the world is in ruin hence the wind and plants are dying and the water is polluted.It gives an image of hopelessness.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210597
Posted: 10th March 2016 05:20

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 10th March 2016 00:38)

FF6 the world is in ruin hence the wind and plants are dying and the water is polluted.It gives an image of hopelessness.

Come to think of it, that's the most accurate description of the three games I've ever seen. I've never thought about them in this way before.

--------------------
Post #210598
Posted: 10th March 2016 05:42

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Games have become far more adrenaline charged experiences with time. I'm hoping that ff15 isn't going to be all action, all the time...that would squash the "wandering through green fields finding stuff" feel that an rpg is supposed to have, in my opinion.

I haven't played Undertale myself, but I'm just wondering, would Undertale be something that affirms or runs counter to this view?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #210599
Posted: 10th March 2016 09:16

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Undertale is a small Indy game.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210600
Posted: 11th March 2016 20:42

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 9th March 2016 20:42)

I haven't played Undertale myself, but I'm just wondering, would Undertale be something that affirms or runs counter to this view?

UnderTale is very linear because it is, really, quite small as a game. I think it does a decent job of evoking the "wandering around finding stuff" feel, with a few brief actiony segments outside of combat.

If that doesn't answer what you were asking, I probably misunderstood the question. Sorry about that.

As for the FF games, I feel this is a really interesting breakdown of why I feel like comparing them solely point-by-point isn't really productive:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 9th March 2016 13:38)

Also, I like how each of them has an (arguably) main character of indeterminate origin, and who each have some important reveal about their upbringing, parentage, or whatever. I know it's not rare, as a story trope, but still interesting.

FF5: No-one asked who Bartz is, Bartz included, but it turns out that's super important, plot-wise.
FF6: Everyone wants to know who Terra is, especially Terra.
FF7: Cloud knows who Cloud is. Definitely. No doubt. Couldn't possibly be that he's actually not at all noteworthy and has everything wrong.

--------------------
I shall now return to my cave
Post #210605
Posted: 13th March 2016 15:04

Crusader

Awards:
Actually I think even if undertake is linear it has a very interesting idea.The idea of not fighting monsters and either running away or making them like you is a cool idea.It takes the complete opposite of every turn based rpg which is nice.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210607
Posted: 16th March 2016 07:31

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 13th March 2016 06:04)
Actually I think even if undertake is linear it has a very interesting idea.

I adore it, and found it to be really emotionally touching. I don't think even Spec Ops: The Line was quite so effective at making me feel personal guilt, though this game isn't nearly so brutal to the player.

But I digress.

This post has been edited by Lurker on 16th March 2016 07:31

--------------------
Post #210621
Posted: 16th March 2016 17:24

Black Mage

Awards:
I've yet to touch upon Undertale. I heard things about it on the GalaxyTrail/Freedom Planet forums, but apparently haven't had the drive to see it for real; even with the Humble Bundle download version and later on, a GOG version.

--------------------
Post #210627
Posted: 17th March 2016 16:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I have only played the Undertale demo, but I have been shown the music and subsequently read up extensively about the game on the wiki. So I kinda know way too much.

I sometimes remark that i'm more likely to buy the soundtrack than the game at this point.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #210638
Posted: 19th March 2016 00:09

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 17th March 2016 07:32)
I sometimes remark that i'm more likely to buy the soundtrack than the game at this point.

Worth it. I've listened to it all the way through numerous times. I think it has somewhat more impact when you can associate the songs with where they show up in the game, but it's good regardless.

--------------------
Post #210656
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: