CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
An argument: Laguna Loire is homosexual (spoilers)

Posted: 16th July 2015 23:45

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
This thread isn't to bash homosexuality or Laguna Loire from Final Fantasy VIII. Nor is it a topic to discuss homosexuality. Nor am I criticizing the character or homosexuality.

I think, especially in videogames, homosexuality or the representation of it is still a major taboo. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a homosexual character in any videogame. Off the top of my head.

EDIT: In fact, after looking up a wikipedia article, it even suggests there is a transgender character in FFVIII, but no homosexual characters.

FURTHER EDIT: Now that I have thought about it more, Fallout New Vegas has 2 (kind of) openly homosexual characters, both main characters. One Male and one female.

EVEN FURTHER EDIT: A wikipedia article on the subject of LGBT characters in games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_characters_in_video_games

But the idea behind this topic came up recently. I finished a (low-level) playthrough of FFVIII within the past week and afterward, read about the time paradoxes, fan theories (Squall is dead, Rinoa = Ultimecia) and plot analysis.

But one I came across, and one that also made a light turn on in my head, was the theory or idea that Laguna is in fact, gay.

Let's start with the facts. Laguna was "fond" of female singer Julia. Laguna is a soldier who always has two fellow soldiers, Kiros and Ward, both males, in his company. Laguna was fond of a young girl, Ellone, but not in a creepy way and also married her care-taker/adoptive mother Raine and fathered the main character Squall with her.

Now to look a little further into it.

Laguna was "fond" of singer Julia Heartily, Rinoa's mother. When he finally worked up the courage to talk to her, he spent hours talking about himself, and his male comrades. Whether by choice or not, mostly not (he chose to be a soldier if memory serves me correctly, meaning he enlisted in the army, wasn't drafted), Laguna was separated from Julia when he was sent to war. Thus, he avoided having an actual relationship with her.

Laguna was very touchy-feely, often tickling his comrades, Kiros and Ward and often tickling and nudging Ellone, his somewhat adoptive daughter. I'm not implying it was in a creepy or pedophile manner.

Laguna ended up in Winhill, in the company and care of a woman named Raine, after washing up on the shores of the town severely injured (after the flashback on Centra continent). She nursed him back to health and he was very fond of her and Ellone.

It is revealed that Raine is very interested in Laguna, that she desires him. It isn't just sexual attraction, but she by all means wants to be with him. When Kiros comes to visit, he avoids talking about Raine and also hints that he is really confused and "changing". Of course, this could mean he doesn't want to be a soldier anymore, that he is falling in love, or even that he is conflicted about his actual feelings for Raine.

Laguna does end up marrying Raine. Raine does end up getting pregnant, but doesn't know until Laguna has left her in pursuit of Ellone, who gets kidnapped. Either way, he manages to separate himself from the relationship, again like the one with Julia, albeit in a much more serious situation, in a much more serious relationship.

Laguna rescues Ellone, but also starts to hallucinate before doing so. He hallucinates her being by his side and never mentions Raine in the slightest, while finding himself in the company of men, yet again. Kiros and Ward.

He then sends Ellone back to Raine, who is pregnant, unbeknownst to Laguna, with their child. Laguna choses to stay in Esthar to help defeat Adel, but afterward, choses to stay on as president of Esthar, in the company of men, Ward, Kiros, Odine and the like.

Raine dies, and Squall and Ellone are sent to an orphanage. Laguna was "too busy" to go back to Raine, "too busy" to go to his children, Ellone and Squall, although he still didn't know about Squall up until right before he met him, via Ellone finally reconnecting with Laguna and telling him.

Now, we all know that it is pretty much canon that Laguna is Squall's dad. And I'm am reaching a bit here, as well as any others who think Laguna was gay. But there are a lot of cues in the game for both ideas. Laguna has a very odd personality, some strange quirks and mannerisms and is basically a little "off". He does come across as a closet-homosexual.

Homosexual men often marry women and have children. In Laguna's case, and in the case of many gay men, there is a sense of duty and social pressure to do so. A lot of times as well, homosexual men choose to lead heterosexual lifestyles, for whatever reason, even though they know they are gay. These men date and have sexual relations with women only, never giving in to their actual desires, for whatever reasons, though a lot I would argue, is because of societal pressure.

This is why I believe that there is a strong possibility that Laguna Loire is a homosexual character, perhaps even intended to be as such by the developers who chose not to include it in the game because of pressure from the publishers or society, but that it is heavily suggested. This is but another idea in a long list of implied ideas in FFVIII. And another reason why I love the game. It is incredibly ambiguous. More than any other game in the series, it leaves a lot to the gamers' interpretation of events, actions and dialogue.

I am up for discussion, and I think this is an interesting topic. What say you?

--------------------
Post #209349
Posted: 17th July 2015 00:15

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
So because Laguna is not open about sexual desires (like every other character in the game), avoids relationships, is often in the company of men (like almost every character in every video game) and behaves "odd" he is gay? Incredibly flimsy arguments all the way around, and very few premises point in any way toward the conclusion.
I don't believe there was any intent onesoever for Laguna to be a secret gay, considering that his relationship with Raine is a major point of his character that even plays out in the ending sequence. Also

Now, we all know that it is pretty much canon that Laguna is Squall's dad.

Kinda counters other arguments.

PS
But there are a lot of cues in the game for both ideas. Laguna has a very odd personality, some strange quirks and mannerisms and is basically a little "off". He does come across as a closet-homosexual.

That's kinda borderline offensive. Whether that's your contribution or not, it really is an ignorant statement to make, especially in such a conclusive manner.

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #209350
Posted: 17th July 2015 02:32

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (Sherick @ 16th July 2015 19:15)
So because Laguna is not open about sexual desires (like every other character in the game), avoids relationships, is often in the company of men (like almost every character in every video game) and behaves "odd" he is gay? Incredibly flimsy arguments all the way around, and very few premises point in any way toward the conclusion.
I don't believe there was any intent onesoever for Laguna to be a secret gay, considering that his relationship with Raine is a major point of his character that even plays out in the ending sequence. Also

Now, we all know that it is pretty much canon that Laguna is Squall's dad.

Kinda counters other arguments.

PS
But there are a lot of cues in the game for both ideas. Laguna has a very odd personality, some strange quirks and mannerisms and is basically a little "off". He does come across as a closet-homosexual.

That's kinda borderline offensive. Whether that's your contribution or not, it really is an ignorant statement to make, especially in such a conclusive manner.

EDIT: First of all, I'm quoting myself here just to clear up that I was not making a conclusive statement on the subject as you have claimed:

And I am reaching a bit here, as well as any others who think Laguna was gay.

I don't see what is offensive about it. And how can something be "kinda borderline offensive"? Either it is offensive or it isn't and even if you are a homosexual yourself, does that make your opinion the be-all end-all? And like I said, it is something I came across after I finished the game again while searching online.

For example, this thread discusses the possibility, if you are willing to read through it:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/822/t52233...na-squalls-dad/

But I'm not sure you actually read through my initial post so, it's up to you.

I think, at least, there is some evidence of it. And the end sequence doesn't exactly disprove it.

Other examples, Freddie Murcury of Queen. It's often assumed that he was openly gay, when in fact, he was or had been madly in love with women at various points in his life.

http://www.mercury-and-queen.com/loveofmylife.htm

Internalized homophobia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-orientation_marriage

Married but gay:

http://www.quora.com/Why-do-men-who-are-ma...come-out-as-gay

http://nymag.com/news/features/34985/index1.html

http://www.50ish.org/lifestyle/middle-aged...-in-the-closet/

Just quick google searches. Read them if you want to. But don't come flying in here like you did unless you do or are willing to discuss it productively.

Anyway, you say that it is "offensive" that I suggested Laguna's personality to be "odd" or a little "off" as if I am suggesting anyone who is slightly odd, or not a gender trope, or not "normal" by societal standards is "gay" because of it, or that I'm suggesting all gay people are "odd" or a little "off", which I am not suggesting at all.

And I could say your somewhat harsh reaction to the suggestion that a male character in a popular videogame could possibly be homosexual, or closet homosexual, is just as "offensive". Ignorant? Not at all and it wasn't exactly a "conclusive" statement. I simply said that he possibly comes off as closet-homosexual. In fact, your strong reaction and accusations are as equally homophobic as mine are offensive or ignorant.

So because I suggest there is a possibility that in 1998, a conservative time in American and global acceptance of homosexuality, LGBT culture and the social advancement of the acceptance of these completely normal human sexualities, that a character from a videogame is closet-homosexual, you think that there is no possible way that a character was developed with the idea of his sexual orientation as gay being at least a SLIGHT possibility but kept on the down-low because it isn't a marketable concept if in the open about it?

Flimsy arguments, huh?

Funny how not being open about your sexual desires, avoiding close relationships with the opposite sex, all the while surrounding yourself with the same sex and displaying questionable affections with children and the same sex is in no way suggestive?

There is also the fact that he is in the military, an historically homo-phobic, homo-erotic and hazing institution.

An excerpt from Bring Me Men by Aaron Belkin:

"I discovered that in the latter decades of the twentieth century, male American service members penetrated each other’s bodies ‘all of the time’. They forced broom handles, fingers and penises into each other’s anuses. They stuck pins into flesh and bones. They vomited into one another’s mouths and forced rotten food down each other’s throats. They inserted tubes into each other’s anal cavities and then pumped grease through the tubes. And parallel to these literal penetrations, they subjected each other to constant, symbolic penetrations as well. Penetrating and being penetrated have been central to what it means to be a warrior in the U.S. armed forces."

Cue down your homophobia.

And do some actual reading on the subject before you paint me as an offensive ignoramus. I'm simple creating a topic on a rather slow forum that I thought could be discussed in an adult manner. A topic I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't at least read about the subject, discussed the subject with people, including openly gay, transgender or queer, or experienced in real life. Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but as with all theories, it isn't being upheld as fact and a hypothesis isn't wrong until it is proven wrong. Yeah?

In no way does any of what I suggest make Laguna any less of a character, in fact, I think it actually makes him a stronger and deeper character with many layers left for the gamer to dissect. Your reactions seem to suggest or imply that the idea presented, that of Laguna Loire being a closet-homosexual, lowers or demeans his character in some way, when in fact, it possibly strengthens it.

Again, homosexuality in videogames as a taboo. Can it not be discussed or suggested? Apparently it is ignorant to do so.

This post has been edited by Dynamic Threads on 17th July 2015 02:39

--------------------
Post #209351
Posted: 17th July 2015 17:44

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
If that is so, then is it possible then squall is gay? Because he never flirts with rinoah, never flirts with quistis, and or selphie.

He has a rivalry with seifer.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209357
Posted: 17th July 2015 19:02

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 17th July 2015 12:44)
If that is so, then is it possible then squall is gay? Because he never flirts with rinoah, never flirts with quistis, and or selphie.

Emotional repression is often a symptom of repressed homosexuality.

DynamicThreads:

You said you wanted a discussion, and then went on a tirade when I disagreed with your points. Clearly I read your post because I referenced several parts of it. I am bisexual btw so your can get out of here with your outrage. It's offensive that stereotypes are used to identify a "closet" homosexual, when all of these factors by themselves point to nothing in that regard without some substantiation, which there isn't.
Mercury was also bisexual fwiw. So is Laguna bisexual? I don't think it really matters, because nothing relating to his alleged homosexuality is present at any point in the game.

Anyway, you say that it is "offensive" that I suggested Laguna's personality to be "odd" or a little "off" as if I am suggesting anyone who is slightly odd, or not a gender trope, or not "normal" by societal standards is "gay" because of it, or that I'm suggesting all gay people are "odd" or a little "off", which I am not suggesting at all.

But that is what you said. Being "odd" translated to "closet gay" in your post.
Laguna has a very odd personality, some strange quirks and mannerisms and is basically a little "off". He does come across as a closet-homosexual.

I read this as being rather conclusive, but maybe I'm wrong. At the very least, it's a large leap to take. Is anyone who behaves strangely a closeted homosexual?

And I could say your somewhat harsh reaction to the suggestion that a male character in a popular videogame could possibly be homosexual, or closet homosexual, is just as "offensive".

Uh, no. I was reacting to the terrible arguments that were made. I'm a huge fan of homosexual/bisexual/etc characters in video games, but I'm an even bigger fan of logical arguments based on fact. This is very similar to the "Sabin theory" that because he had no romantic interest in the story and apparently liked flowers that Sabin must be gay.

Ignorant? Not at all and it wasn't exactly a "conclusive" statement. I simply said that he possibly comes off as closet-homosexual. In fact, your strong reaction and accusations are as equally homophobic as mine are offensive or ignorant

Why, because I don't think this one particular character is homosexual? That makes me homophobic? Cool your outrage, as that is not the definition of homophobia at all. Show me the scene where Laguna even implies romantic and/or sexual feelings for men and I will totally be on board.
You seem to be arguing from a fixed perspective, and are intent on establishing a gay character, but unfortunately there isn't anything here to go off of. If you want to make a headcanon that Laguna was closeted or bi then go for it, but the only thing actual canon says is that he was romantically and sexually linked to women, and that's it.

This post has been edited by Sherick on 17th July 2015 19:19

--------------------
Without me and I wonder:

Life goes on...
Post #209361
Posted: 18th July 2015 04:04

Cactuar

Awards:

Well, first, this isn't a thread about Squall. And if you've played the game, obviously Squall and Rinoa are romantically fond of each other by the game's end.

As far as never flirting, some people just don't "flirt". I personally think flirting is corny and have never really been a "flirty" type. I would rather have a conversation than be coy. So it isn't surprising that a 17-year old male doesn't blatantly flirt with any female that he finds in his company. Not everyone is a flirting type.

And his rivalry with Seifer is clearly a sibling rivalry. I've gone into this in another thread. They grew up together from basically infancy in an orphanage, then in an educational/military institution. They are both experts in a hard to master weapon (gunblade) and have no one else to spar with who are on their level. There really isn't anything homoerotic or suggestive of their "rivalry". It is clearly a sibling rivalry.

Now, if you wanted to actually start an argument based off of what you are implying, then you would have to go in the direction of Seifer and Zell's rivalry, which, although could also be called a sibling rivalry, borders much closer on what you are implying.

Cloud vs. Sephiroth is another story, lol.

Emotional repression is often a symptom of repressed homosexuality.

I just did a search for a few minutes on google and could find nothing to support this claim. Homophobia is a symptom of closet homosexuality. But repressed emotions are often a symptom of some kind of trauma as a child. Abusive parents, relatives, peers, etc...

So it seems to me like you just kind of made that up. And not kind of. It is wrong. Plain and simple.

DynamicThreads:

You said you wanted a discussion, and then went on a tirade when I disagreed with your points. Clearly I read your post because I referenced several parts of it. I am bisexual btw so your can get out of here with your outrage. It's offensive that stereotypes are used to identify a "closet" homosexual, when all of these factors by themselves point to nothing in that regard without some substantiation, which there isn't.
Mercury was also bisexual fwiw. So is Laguna bisexual? I don't think it really matters, because nothing relating to his alleged homosexuality is present at any point in the game.

A discussion is fine and I'm glad you've engaged in it. But. Uh...no, I did not go on a "tirade". You called me ignorant, and offensive. I then went on to actually support my argument with several links that related to my original points. And clearly you didn't read my post, because you conveniently left out the parts you wanted while focusing on the parts you wanted to pick apart.

And I don't see how you being "bisexual" has anything to do with the topic. I really don't want to get on the subject of bisexuality, but it seems you don't really understand what it means to be "bisexual" and there was no outrage, simply me finding things to back my arguments while you come in here throwing insults and accusations, while also making things up to support your counter-argument.

Another thing, unfortunately, is that stereotypes do exist (otherwise there wouldn't be any, eh?) and to ignore them and call them offensive is to promote their discriminatory nature more than acknowledging that they do exist, but to use a stereotype in itself to define someone is ignorant, I agree and had I simply said "Man Laguna is weird, so I think he is gay" then absolutely it would have been offensive. I have, however, read about and discussed the personality quirks a closet homosexual often displays and used that as a basis for my arguments. I have also provided several examples in links about married men and closet homosexuality. It is a well known fact that a lot of closet men are married, with children and in middle-age, they often start to act on their repressed homosexuality.

And as for Freddie Mercury, you simply cannot state that he was bisexual. It is commonly accepted that he was homosexual, but again, I cannot and will not sit here and say it is a fact. However, just because he had relationships with women and men does not make him bisexual. And for you to ask if Laguna is bisexual is why I'm led to believe that you don't understand what bisexuality actually is. Closet homosexuals are not bisexual. Having sexual relations with both the opposite and the same sex is not indicative of bisexuality. Being attracted to the same and the opposite sex and indulging in that sexual attraction is being bisexual. Also not to be confused with being asexual, or, lacking a physical or sexual attraction to either sex and therefore, not having a preference. Therefore, a married, closeted man is not bisexual because he has been or has had sex with a woman but is also attracted to men. He is strictly attracted to men, and the taboo and social backlash towards homosexuals, as well as pressure from friends, peers and family to be heterosexual, are the reasons why he married the opposite sex. There are men who date women their whole lives and never give in to their homosexual urges, yet are not and never have been attracted to women and they aren't bisexual.

But that is what you said. Being "odd" translated to "closet gay" in your post.

Sorry, but Laguna does come across as a little "off". But it isn't the basis, nor the bulk of my argument. I stated this after first providing a basis to the argument. If it does come across as me equating weird = closet homosexual, then that is your interpretation of a single statement within my initial post, and not a good basis for a counter-argument, and not a good comprehension of what I actually was saying.

Laguna has a very odd personality, some strange quirks and mannerisms and is basically a little "off". He does come across as a closet-homosexual.

I read this as being rather conclusive, but maybe I'm wrong. At the very least, it's a large leap to take. Is anyone who behaves strangely a closeted homosexual?

Okay, this is clearly my fault. I should have elaborated more on that specific statement, but I thought I already had earlier. But saying he "comes across" as closet gay isn't exactly a conclusive statement, now, is it? Had I said: "Laguna has a very odd personality, some stange quirks and is basically a little "off". Therefore, he is closet homosexual". Then that is a conclusive statement.

And I could say your somewhat harsh reaction to the suggestion that a male character in a popular videogame could possibly be homosexual, or closet homosexual, is just as "offensive".

Uh, no. I was reacting to the terrible arguments that were made. I'm a huge fan of homosexual/bisexual/etc characters in video games, but I'm an even bigger fan of logical arguments based on fact. This is very similar to the "Sabin theory" that because he had no romantic interest in the story and apparently liked flowers that Sabin must be gay.

How can you be a huge fan of LGBT characters in videogames when they hardly exist? This was a point I brought up in my initial post, and part of the reason I decided to start this discussion about Laguna possibly being one. And again, you say you are a huge fan of LGBT characters in videogames, yet completely reject the idea that Laguna might be one? Isn't that contradictory? And again, "logical arguments based on fact" is another odd statement because I have provided SEVERAL examples from IRL that parallel the examples I have provided from in a videogame, while simply suggesting that because of these parallels, a certain character might be closet homosexual. While at the same time, you literally did no research to back up your counter-argument, and actually made some things up. And the only things you have provided to support your counter-argument are examples of other characters who were LGBT or assumed to be LGBT. Sabin has nothing to do with the topic at hand and the "Sabin theory" of the character Sabin being gay because he had no love interest and liked flowers is a juvenile and baseless argument, unlike the one I have suggested, since I have provided several facts to support my claims and pointed out the similarities between real life closet homosexuality and the POSSIBLE closet homosexuality of a character in a videogame.

Ignorant? Not at all and it wasn't exactly a "conclusive" statement. I simply said that he possibly comes off as closet-homosexual. In fact, your strong reaction and accusations are as equally homophobic as mine are offensive or ignorant

Why, because I don't think this one particular character is homosexual? That makes me homophobic? Cool your outrage, as that is not the definition of homophobia at all. Show me the scene where Laguna even implies romantic and/or sexual feelings for men and I will totally be on board.
You seem to be arguing from a fixed perspective, and are intent on establishing a gay character, but unfortunately there isn't anything here to go off of. If you want to make a headcanon that Laguna was closeted or bi then go for it, but the only thing actual canon says is that he was romantically and sexually linked to women, and that's it.

You don't have to think a character is closet homosexual, and that doesn't make you homophobic. The fact that you called me ignorant, offensive and called my argument illogical and lacking facts, while at the same time vehemently refusing to believe that there is any possibility whatsoever that Laguna is a closeted homosexual man, while further still admitting you are bisexual and love LGBT characters in games is why I suggested, in response, that you are being homophobic.

Furthermore, you suggest that I am in an outrage because I have provided depth in my responses, which isn't the case at all. When I start typing in all CAPS then go ahead and tell me I am in an outrage. Why, right now I am sipping coffee and actually engaging in the discussion and I'm glad you have attempted to.

Again, there doesn't have to be a scene or line of dialogue that suggests Laguna is closet gay because that's just it, closet homosexuality is repressed and one must look for the cues.

I am not coming from a "fixed" perspective, especially since I originally suggested:

I'm am reaching a bit here, as well as any others who think Laguna was gay.

And while quoting this, I realized that you edited my entire paragraph several times to your liking in order to counter-argue the topic to make it seem like I simply called Laguna weird and claimed he was gay. Here is that full paragraph:

Now, we all know that it is pretty much canon that Laguna is Squall's dad. And I am reaching a bit here, as well as any others who think Laguna was gay. But there are a lot of cues in the game for both ideas. Laguna has a very odd personality, some strange quirks and mannerisms and is basically a little "off". He does come across as a closet-homosexual.

This paragraph AFTER I dove into the chracter's psyche.

Which allows me to follow up further, because you mention the idea of nothing being true unless it is proven cannon. And it isn't stated in FFVIII that Squall is Laguna's son, so in essence, you have strengthened my argument slightly by implying that since it isn't stated canon that Squall is Laguna's son, then it must not be true, since there is not a one line of dialogue that states it factually and that evidence cannot be provided.

And again, I am not establishing a head-canon, coming from a fixed perspective or claiming that Laguna is bisexual. I simply came across the idea of him being closet homosexual and decided to start a topic based on the possibility.

Just so you don't misunderstand me any further, I do not believe nor have I convinced myself that Laguna Loire from Final Fantasy VIII is a closet homosexual. I have, however, decided to provide evidence that suggests it as a possibility. I have provided evidence of closet homosexuality in married men, who have families, children and family structures yet their repressed homosexuality is not evident or known to the family, or friends as well as provided evidence of homphobia and repressed homosexuality in the military. Both things that Laguna has been a part of.

Laguna displays some questionable life choices, a lack of commitment to his female love interests and is touchy-feely with children and adult men, to the point of tickling and nudging them with his face. He is flamboyant, cocky, arrogant, self-involved and constantly avoids confrontation, even from his closest friends. These are not signs or traits that specifically point to homosexuality or any other stereotype, but coupled with his mannerisms, lifestyle choices and actions as well as the evidence I have provided in support of this theory, I do believe there is a strong possibility that his character is a closet homosexual, perhaps even implied by the developers or furthermore, even unbeknownst to them. I do however, believe that if one does choose to at least consider the idea that Laguna is closet homosexual, it adds layers upon layers of depth to a character that never allowed the player, or his loved ones, to pry in to. Laguna paints an aura of mysteriousness around himself, confides in two male comrades and constantly finds ways to isolate himself.

Anyway, I will continue to discuss this and I appreciate the effort from those involved.

--------------------
Post #209364
Posted: 18th July 2015 04:31

Black Waltz

Awards:
And I don't see how you being "bisexual" has anything to do with the topic. I really don't want to get on the subject of bisexuality, but it seems you don't really understand what it means to be "bisexual"

Lol, and this is where I stop

--------------------
Without me and I wonder:

Life goes on...
Post #209365
Posted: 18th July 2015 04:47

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Sherick @ 17th July 2015 23:31)
And I don't see how you being "bisexual" has anything to do with the topic. I really don't want to get on the subject of bisexuality, but it seems you don't really understand what it means to be "bisexual"

Well, it wasn't a part of the discussion, either way, so there was really no need to bring it up in the first place. But don't expect someone to look the other way when you come right out and say it and then try to twist the discussion with it. The argument was that Laguna was closet homosexual, not bisexual.

Either way, you can't get upset over me saying that, since you brought it up. But I'm not attacking you, I just disagree with the way you've used it in your argument and found your statements on the matter to be conflicted.

No offense intended.

--------------------
Post #209367
Posted: 18th July 2015 14:30

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Sherick @ 18th July 2015 04:31)

Freddy Mercury even if he is gay, it's part of who he is, but it isn't his only side.Any person who their whole persona is they are a homosexual is a shallow person.What I am trying to say is:Yeah he is gay, but he doesn't Make a big deal about it, and rightly so.I am not sure if Brad Pitt coming out as a bisexual is some sort of attention seeking thing.The reason I react like this, is because people like John waters and Ian McKellen and Zachary Quito would say it directly if asked, but wouldn't go on public towards some magazine and do it for attention.

I also want to remind of you of zevran from dragon age origins.In Dao, I laughed at zevran the first time when he flirted with me, and I felt bad about hurting his feelings, because I would never purposefully shame or humiliate someone based on their sexuality.

People were complaining about it because zevran is bisexual and people were angry because it made them feel uncomfortable with their sexuality.

Just thought I would say that since you told everyone you are bi and like multi sexual characters.

Also let me remind you of something I heard, which you talked about stereotyping the lgbt.

In resident evil code Veronica x, Alfred ashford, a cross dresser was shown a creepy evil cross dresser obsessed with his sister, and possibly a incestuous relationship.I heard other games have shown the lgbt in a negative light too.

Just thought I would share my thoughts.Me personally,I don't care what sexuality a character is, so long as I can relate to them.I generally relate best to straight males, but a good character is a good character.

Heck, I admire John waters movies, and divine, because both of them are interesting people.

Also:The rumor of zell being gay falls apart, because he seems like a neuter or just flat out hasn't gone through puberty.Squall I can see him being gay.Here is how it would be

He could be disinterested in rinoah selphie and quistis, because he is in love with seifer.This theory falls apart of course, but opposites attract, and he admits he likes seifer.

Squall could also be assumed to simply be disinterested with sex all together

I think the whole gay thing in ff8 falls apart much more in ff8 than it does in ff7.

In ff7 it is easy to see cloud strife as gay and into anything.He goes out with Barret, a big tough black dude, he obsesses with Zach and sephiroth, and rejects Tifa.Come to think of it, I kind of thought of him and aeris as just friends.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 18th July 2015 14:39

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #209373
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: