CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
Testper

Posted: 14th February 2004 12:31

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Does Testper actually exist, or is it just a big rumour? And if it IS a big rumour, why does it have its own information on the Esper page of CoN, with an elaborate list of all the spells it gives you? huh.gif Was the guy who made up this rumour just a very specific person, or is there some truth behind it - like in the Japanese version of the game Testper might appear or something? I'd like to hear about the origin behind "Testper".

--------------------
"Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad." - Rincewind

You can be as self-assertive as you like, just so long as you do what you’re told.” - Granny Weatherwax

"When Mr. Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend" - Sam Vimes to Detritus
Post #29318
Posted: 14th February 2004 14:13

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I'll just give it to you straight, since I'm sure this has been covered.

Think of the word Testper. It has the word test at the start, right? Well, it was there to test the Esper database. That's why it has all the spells too, the creator just put it all together for testing purposes. He completely made it up as he went.

I'm not precisely sure why we kept it. It's sort of a funny Easter Egg type of thing. I assumed most people would realize it's just a joke, but there is the occasional person that asks.

Anyway, hope that answers your questions :-)

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #29319
Posted: 14th February 2004 14:36

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
It was always meant to be deleted, but it made us laugh every time we looked at it. So it stayed.

It's the only CoN "Easter Egg" most people will ever find. smile.gif
Post #29320
Posted: 15th February 2004 16:15

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
If this is in the game as a test, is it still possible to get it? (Through hacking or editing?)
Post #29462
Posted: 15th February 2004 16:30

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Quote (Mikey @ 15th February 2004 11:15)
If this is in the game as a test, is it still possible to get it? (Through hacking or editing?)

If you want to draw a picture and put it in the ROM then sure.

Someone should draw a picture just for the site tongue.gif

--------------------
Yeah, I barely post.
Post #29466
Posted: 15th February 2004 20:36

Group Icon

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
It's not in the ROM as a test; it was in the site as a test.

Although...
user posted image user posted image
Post #29496
Posted: 16th February 2004 02:49

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I saw that yesterday. I dont know anything about ROM hacking, but im guessing it would be hard to add it in the game.

--------------------
Yeah, I barely post.
Post #29527
Posted: 16th February 2004 04:42

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
There are 28 spaces on the esper list in the game, and the total number of distinct espers is 27. Which means that whether or not you "upgrade" Odin to Raiden, you still have two open spaces, since they take up different spaces but don't appear together. Seeing as that you can't move esper entries around in that list, that means that esper list spaces are reserved. If you want to put in a new esper, you wouldn't be able to use Raiden/Odin's space if you have Odin/Raiden, but you might be able to use that last space (unless its emptiness is necessary for the functioning of some other process, which I doubt is the case). So that's where Testper would fit.

Inputting MP cost, spell teaching, and stat bonuses for Testper would probably be the easy part because I'm pretty sure that there's some sort of template by which the esper information is interpreted by the game--that is, the format of esper information is basically the same for every esper (only the particulars differ). You could use this template to input new information about Testper.

However, you would have to consider whether there is space for Testper. If there is space for an additional esper in the game's code, as well as space for battle animation information, then that's great. But if there isn't, you might need to put some more work into it (e.g. reference that part of the code to another part of the code?).

I'm not a big-time programmer/computer scientist/ROM editing fan, so virtually (no pun intended) all of this comes from what I've learnt reading about programming and logical thinking about game codes/programs (derived mainly from information from these forums smile.gif). If any of this is wrong, please tell me so--it would really be helpful in furthering my understanding.

EDIT: revised wording of beginning of post in response Iggy's subsequent post; I realized that I had said the opposite of what I wanted to say, and changed it.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 16th February 2004 14:46

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokmon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #29531
Posted: 16th February 2004 12:28

Cactuar

Awards:
You say there are two open spaces in the esper list - isn't one for deselecting espers, and the other one the empty slot for where Odin USED to be or where Raiden WILL be? I think there are two slots for Odin and Raiden, not one between them - and when you
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
change Odin into Raiden
Odin dissappears from his slot, making it empty, and Raiden appears on another slot. So there will always be two empty slots.

Unless I'm very very wrong. huh.gif

--------------------
"Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad." - Rincewind

You can be as self-assertive as you like, just so long as you do what you’re told.” - Granny Weatherwax

"When Mr. Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend" - Sam Vimes to Detritus
Post #29567
Posted: 16th February 2004 20:25

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Tiddles' screenshots are obvious proof that Testper exists.
Post #29612
Posted: 17th February 2004 03:18

Returner

Tiddles screenshots are proof that it is a hack. There is no spell "Esuna"
But as long as you FEEL smart, that is all that matters, right?
Post #29665
Posted: 17th February 2004 03:50

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2011-2012. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. 
I think it could be real.... leening more on the side for not reall .. wellll...
I have sumthing to say to mtekknight. Esuna is like the exact same thing as remedy and i think esuna was used instead of remedy in ff6j. thumbup.gif
Post #29668
Posted: 17th February 2004 08:00
Group Icon
SOLDIER

...which makes me wonder why they didn't change the life spells to "raise," "araise," and "reraise," if they bothered changing esuna. no, testper is not real. like they said, it was just to test the database, and they left it in there because they are mean-spirited mods who like to trick site newbies who happen across that information. shifty.gif

This post has been edited by gozaru~ on 17th February 2004 08:01
Post #29673
Posted: 17th February 2004 12:08

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
I mean, frankly, I don't know how anyone can think it's real after reading the first few posts. And if you're not reading the whole topic, you shouldn't be posting in it, in general. Mmm?

I edited Testper into a ROM myself, just for those screenshots, ages ago. It's just Crusader renamed and with a different MP count and spell name, which were the only things I could seem to edit at the time. I had forgotten that I'd done Remedy -> Esuna and that that would give it away, but bear in mind that had nothing to do with Testper.

(The edits I made to names were for general series consistency, and I don't particularly like the -a/-aga type translation from FF8 on. As J2E's Anus P said, "We're translating into English, not EngliJap." But no need to care about that, since I'm the only one who'll ever use the edited ROM.)

Don't think this topic really has anywhere left to go. Anyway, if you want to know about Testper, please, please, READ THE BEGINNING OF THE TOPIC.
Post #29679
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll