CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Best Character

Posted: 30th September 2002 03:47

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Sorry i didnt get everyone   x_x  but it was a ten minimum so i put the people you have the longest i think the only people missing are palom porom edward and young rydia I personally like Kain, he may not haev any magic abilities but he doesnt need them, hell he doesnt even need fight. all he needs are jump and item not to mention hes the first left handed rpg char i ever saw. he is the most needed char in the game. for instance when your fighting odin and bahamut. can't kill em quick enough? keep getting pounded after the times up well if kain's airborne when time gets up he'll stay alive! he's the reason i killed the hidden dragon!

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #2910
Posted: 30th September 2002 10:22

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
No Palom and Porom?! What's the world coming to? [j/k] ;)

Kain. [Rydia a close runner-up]

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #2922
Posted: 30th September 2002 21:06

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
Kain.  Just, Kain.

Kain ownz.  In all aspects.  His attitude and personality is delicious.  Yes, delicious.  Everything about him is delicious.  I mean, look at him.  His attire just spells cool.  And he's so useful in a battle it isn't even funny.  His Jump is pretty much the best Jump there is.  Just proves to many that white men can jump.  Ha! That's pretty corny.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #2958
Posted: 1st October 2002 02:07

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
My vote goes to Kain, the master of all Final Fantasy Lancers.

In the game, he pulled my fat out of the fryer many a time.  Jump was one of the greatest, if not the greatest, assets to your party.  Even without it, Kain was a formidable fighter, since his proficiency with the spear meant unending torture to all my opponents.

He was also one of the most well developed characters in the game.
SPOILER ALERT!  Highlight to view:
His status as a mind-controlled traitor, and his unrequieted love for Rosa, made him a truly sympathetic character.  And yet, all the while, he was extremely cool.

Kain remains one of my favorite FF characters of all time.

An honorable mention goes the Rydia.  Who couldn't love a girl with green hair?  And, although this doesn't really count, I liked Golbez.  Anybody whose hand could end up besting his opponents has got to be a main contender.

For the record, I also liked Palom and Porom.  I mean, think about it; if they're that powerful at age 5, imagine what sort of apocalyptically omnipotent mage demigods they'll be once they grow up!  It's a humbling thought.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #2976
Posted: 1st October 2002 05:12

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
awww why'd you have to say that about palom and porom? now i'm gonna have children of the cornfield nightmares again

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

Post #2980
Posted: 1st October 2002 23:11

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
FuSoYa was the best, it was fun going back to Mysidia or somewhere like that and using Nuke or Meteo on the poor widdle monsters :E
Post #3006
Posted: 2nd October 2002 01:52

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I would have chosen Golbez, then Zemus, then Yang. But since the first two are not on there, Yang has my vote.
SPOILER ALERT!  Highlight to view:
He is a noble monk, and "sacrafices" his life to save the dwarves. I heart Yang.
Post #3025
Posted: 2nd October 2002 06:58
Black Mage

Awards:
Is this favorite, or best?  I voted for Rosa, not because she's my favorite, because she isn't, but because she is the best.  Wall is useful on several occasions.  She has massive curative powers, and white casts quickly and should be dealing 9999 pretty quickly.  Physical offense leaves something to be desired, but a heroine robe with artemis bow and arrows still does a pretty decent amount.  She also has berserk to help out the fighters.

Next useful is Cecil.  He has high defense and physical offense, and can do minor healing between battles if needed.  He's solid, but it's not like you do much more than poundo on the fight button.  

Rydia is third.  The fact that spells have charge times here is a downfall, as well as the fact that her wisdom is much lower than Rosa's will, making nuke do much less than holy in general.  However, she has Bahamut, and mult target high damage spells.  The Dragon whip does good damage to dragons, and she can paralyze enemies randomly when attacking.  However, she can't take very much damage at all.

4th best is Edge.  He has lots of options.  He has a solid physical attack, and his last armor drastically reduceds physical damage dealt to him.  He has moderate damage multi target attacks and has image, which is very useful.    For bosses he can throw things for high damage.

5th best is Kain.  His damage is lacking compared to Cecil, and the only thing he can really do is jump.  However, if he always jumps, then you can play a 2/3 formation and keep him in the back, though he has good enough defense I rather have the enemies hit him.  Jump is useful on a few occasions, Valvalis being one, Bahamut being the other, if you are too low a level to have wall.  Otherwise, it's not -that- useful, especially since curing is cheap, and though he misses attacks, be misses a bunch of cure 4s as well.

6th best is Palom.  He gets all the awesome spells if you bother to level him a bit -and- his wisdom rating seems to be very high.  Virus and quake own if you level him a bit to get them.  

7th best is Yang.  He has high HP, a good attack, and a decent multi hit attack.  Not particularly strategic, but he's solid, and useful while you have him, though not overly useful in any particular situation.

The rest are just decent.  FuSoYa has variety, but he seems very weak, and doesn't have calls, which means no Bahamut, which is the best spell for damage over time to cast.  Cid is just overshadowed by Yang and Cecil.  Porom can heal decently, but nothing special like Palom.  Tellah has 3 good shots, and then he's useless, though I suppose he has a little more use in Hardtype, where you might get a lucky spell.  Edward is decent, and gets shoddy really fast.
Post #3038
Posted: 2nd October 2002 20:19
Onion Knight

Awards:
even though i like a physical fighter like Yang, i had to go with Kain...he is simply the kewlest character EVER!!!!  Out of all the characters square has created Kain takes the cake!!!!!!!

--------------------
First you live
And then you die
So **** the world
LETS GET HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Yours truly~
Post #3051
Posted: 5th October 2002 00:06

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Gotta give it up for Kain!  He's one of the more silent types, yet his attire has badass written all over it.  He has the best ability in the game (Jump), he doesnt get hit half the time, and he makes a neat evil person when his mind is twisted by Golbez.  He also joins your party the most number of times, and you see him throughout the entire game!
Post #3142
Posted: 13th October 2002 04:27
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Rydia!!!
She's the cutest Final Fantasy character, she has loads of power with her later summons, and is the reason for the best side-quests in the game!! (Realm of the summoned monsters and the fight for Bahamut.)

-Phoenix

This post has been edited by Phoenix on 23rd October 2019 03:32
Post #3423
Posted: 15th October 2002 22:59
Onion Knight

Awards:
Let me see.....I will say Kain and Cecil(Dark Knight) they were the best. I would say Rydia is the cutest :E

--------------------
In the darkness looking for a way out, then I hear a call from my heart telling me to go forward. Then out of nowhere I see someone waiting for me and as I get closer I hear these words "I Love You"
Post #3499
Posted: 27th October 2002 01:42
Group Icon
Onion Knight

i basiclly like everyone but i think i like cecil the best
Post #4100
Posted: 27th October 2002 01:59
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
cid, hes a funny lil dwarfish guy and he hits ppl with hammer! :p

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #4107
Posted: 30th October 2002 23:29

Awards:
1st:  Rydia.  Very powerful summons, and many different spells.  It's nice to have a variety to get past resistances on some mobs.

2nd:  Kain.  Very cool guy, his attitude works well in the story line, and he's just plain cool.

3rd:  Cecil-Paladin.  He doesn't have any cool abilitys, or any of that stuff... but he's powerful.  Who wouldn't love a guy with 600 hp at level 1?

Honorable Mention:  Cid.  Ya gotta love a Hammer Weilding, Airship Building Mechanic

--------------------
"And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped” -Sir Bedevere the Wise
Post #4301
Posted: 31st October 2002 01:34

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I would have voted for Ogre, but he wasn't a choice.  You know Ogre hearts you all.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #4307
Posted: 1st November 2002 01:33

Crusader

Awards:
KAIN KAIN KAIN KAIN. KAIN. Simple. Just jump.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #4354
Posted: 15th November 2002 02:26
Onion Knight

Awards:
Kain Kain Kain IMO he's the best character, rivaled only by Rydia.

--------------------
"I could've slapped you, But a bullet's more personal."- Congo Terrorist 1, From SOCOM

SOCOM: ':SE:'007
Clan: Silent Echo  
Tactics: Grenades, Run & Gun, Sniper

The turning of the tide in a battle begins when one retreating soldier makes the decision to head back into the fray.
Post #4922
Posted: 17th November 2002 03:24

Black Mage

Awards:
Kain...

The man who decided to help overthrow Baron with Cecil during the burning of Mist (though that idea quickly became moot), the man whose love for Rosa and his rivalry with Cecil (and some mind control) caused him to betray his own best friend, the man who could kick Cecil's ass in Fabul, the man who left his best friend and his love so he wouldn't cause anymore trouble to them...

My heart goes out to Kain. He's just awesome! And that doesn't even count Jump!
Post #5043
Posted: 20th November 2002 11:12
Returner

Awards:
I Chose Rydia coz she looks darn good and She's a summoner and summoners Kick Ass!!!
Post #5152
Posted: 28th November 2002 03:57
Returner

Wow , there are quite a few characters to chose from and I seem to see that the favorite is Kain. He IS indeed a very good character to use, but all of you are forgettin thta he CAN use magic! If you use his final spear as a item in battle it casts white! But he still sucks compared to Rosa, Im sorry but my rank in order of best goes like this

1)Rosa - For aim and white magic
2)Kain - For Jump and "White"
3)Edge - Two attacks plus magic use AND he can steal AND throw weapons, low power though
4)Cecil - Has crystal sword and cover for bad times plus minor white magic
5)Rydia - Great Black magic, summons but low hp and crappy charge spell time

--------------------
Sadad + Azlar = Sadazlar
Post #5453
Posted: 3rd January 2003 22:15
Returner

My favorite character is kain because he has the strong jump ability,yet i also hate him because for half the game he is being controlled by Golbez and you can't use him at all.  

My favorite monster is probably the IMP,because they designed them so cool like.
Post #6473
Posted: 3rd January 2003 22:39

Onion Knight

Awards:
My favorite character would have to be cecil the Poladin.His character is so well made and his attacks look great. The story-line fits him to a "T"

--------------------
Teach me, my God and King,
In all things thee to see;
And what I do in any thing
To do it as for thee...

-Herbert, George-
Post #6475
Posted: 4th January 2003 00:45

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I went with good ole' Golby. I like Golby. Golby good.
Post #6479
Posted: 4th January 2003 01:29

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I wonder if FF4 meets Survivor will affect any of this voting...

Thinking of that, I voted for Edward, but now I'd kinda like to change my vote to a monster, and anyone that's watched the movies knows that the best FF4 monster is definitely Ogre.  He's just that cool and that scary. :p  But I chose Edward because I really liked the character, though he was weak, he always wanted to help the party, and did end up saving the group from the Dark Elf.  He's bardtastic.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #6480
Posted: 4th January 2003 03:14

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Kain

attack power = marvelous
Jump skill = most useful skill in the game
storyline/development = one of Square's greatest

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #6486
Posted: 4th January 2003 05:06

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Kain.  I've lauded his numerous merits so many times.  He's a great character, a powerful fighter, has one of the best special skills in the game, and just plain looks cool.

Tied for second were Golbez and Rydia.  Honorable mention goes to Palom and Porom.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #6499
Posted: 4th January 2003 06:58

Black Waltz

Awards:
Gotta go with ogre, (survivor has made him very very disturbing....), The black mage molesting monster

Edward is pretty cool too even though he hides a LOT. I had a new opinion of him after bard wars though....

--------------------

Post #6506
Posted: 4th January 2003 08:31

Engineer

Awards:
I voted for Edward for 2 reasons.
1.  Cid is not on the list
2.  He's important to the balance of RPGs, he's a weakling, just because he's weak doesn't mean he still can't fight.  It's kinda of strange...but still, he is an exception to the rule that only strong people fight to save the world or whatever...

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #6508
Posted: 25th January 2003 17:20

Awards:
kain. hes weak minded, hes kinda powerful, and he looks cool.

he just rocks it hard, bottom line.

--------------------
You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun, a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

Your time will come...
Post #7512
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: