CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
rare summons

Posted: 13th November 2003 05:23

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
okay, i know there are more summon's you can get that are kinda hidden, i got Bomb ONCE, and never did again... what's the catch here?

and why the hell can't i get the dragon whip? i used to get it all the time...

i'm played the origial u.s. snes version by the way.

sdm

--------------------
?gnisufnoc siht sI
Post #20836
Posted: 13th November 2003 06:15

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Aside from the main summons you must search for in the game, I only know of Four other summons that are considered "Rare Summons", which are enemies you battle. Cockatrice, Mage, Bomb, and Imp. From what I know, you're supposed to battle them over and over until you "acquire" them.

.. But could you enlighten me to what the "Dragon Whip" is? I've never heard of it before so I'd like to know.

Moderator Edit
If you want to know, start your own topic. -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 13th November 2003 09:23
Post #20838
Posted: 13th November 2003 20:27

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Cockatrice is unavailable in FFIIus.
All the summons and the Dragon Whip are a rare drop. They only have a 1/64 chance of being acquired after you defeat a certain monster.
I only got one of those summons, too. I got the Imp summon in the Antlion's cave, and never got it again.
Edit
As far as the Dragon Whip, just keep pounding on Blue Dragons

This post has been edited by Dark Paladin on 13th November 2003 20:29

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #20872
Posted: 14th November 2003 04:37

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I never came by any of these rare summons (or the Dragon Whip either) except for Imp, which I won after a battle with imps on an island west of Baron.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #20940
Posted: 14th November 2003 18:31
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I think the Myst Dragon cave is the best place to fight for the Imp summon, and bombs on the moon for the Bomb summon. I don't think I ever won the Mage summon legitimately, and DP's right--the Cockatrice one was taken out. You're not missing out on a whole lot, but that's small comfort, I know. It's fun to get them.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #21033
Posted: 14th November 2003 19:32

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (karasuman @ 14th November 2003 13:31)
I think the Myst Dragon cave is the best place to fight for the Imp summon, and bombs on the moon for the Bomb summon.  I don't think I ever won the Mage summon legitimately, and DP's right--the Cockatrice one was taken out.  You're not missing out on a whole lot, but that's small comfort, I know.  It's fun to get them.

For the Mage one, I've heard that the best place to look is in Cave Manges (after you beat the elf. Imagine doing all those battles with a weak Cecil).

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #21047
Posted: 14th November 2003 21:41

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Follow up on the mage summon: the mage enemy can ONLY be found in Cave Magnes (as I remember).

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #21069
Posted: 14th November 2003 21:52
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 14th November 2003 16:41)
Follow up on the mage summon: the mage enemy can ONLY be found in Cave Magnes (as I remember).

What about in the Sealed Cave? Don't you fight Mage palette swaps there?

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #21071
Posted: 14th November 2003 22:48

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (karasuman @ 14th November 2003 16:52)
What about in the Sealed Cave? Don't you fight Mage palette swaps there?

I thought "no," so I looked through CoN's enemy section to be sure. Mage is a unique palette, so that's the only place you can get it.
Only things you find in selaed cave are Naga, bat palette, she-vampire palette, trapdoors, the chimera palette they turn into, and a ghost-lady palette.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #21081
Posted: 15th November 2003 00:24
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Quote (Dark Paladin @ 14th November 2003 17:48)
Quote (karasuman @ 14th November 2003 16:52)
What about in the Sealed Cave?  Don't you fight Mage palette swaps there?

I thought "no," so I looked through CoN's enemy section to be sure. Mage is a unique palette, so that's the only place you can get it.
Only things you find in selaed cave are Naga, bat palette, she-vampire palette, trapdoors, the chimera palette they turn into, and a ghost-lady palette.

Okay. I must just be confusing one cave with another. wink.gif

Anyway, more rambling: I liked the cockatrice summon when I used a GS to obtain it. I think they should have left that one in. The Mage one was kinda neat, too, but not very powerful.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #21097
Posted: 15th November 2003 05:08

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (karasuman @ 14th November 2003 19:24)
The Mage one was kinda neat, too, but not very powerful.

None are that strong. Imp is the weakest summon in the game, Mage and Bomb are roughly the strength of Chocobo, and all Cockatrice does if petrify. Their purpose is purely Easter egg.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #21138
Posted: 15th November 2003 05:16
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Quote (Dark Paladin @ 15th November 2003 00:08)
Quote (karasuman @ 14th November 2003 19:24)
The Mage one was kinda neat, too, but not very powerful.

None are that strong. Imp is the weakest summon in the game, Mage and Bomb are roughly the strength of Chocobo, and all Cockatrice does if petrify. Their purpose is purely Easter egg.

I think they'd have less of an Easter Egg purpose if they were easier to find, but yeah, I agree. The cockatrice summon is still cheaper than stone, though, isn't it? I think petrification is worthwhile. happy.gif

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #21142
Posted: 15th November 2003 21:49

Black Waltz

Awards:
is it possible to aquire them right after you get Rydia?

--------------------
I will be there...
Post #21226
Posted: 15th November 2003 22:45

Cetra

Awards:
It's possible to acquire them before you get Rydia (well, just the Imp, but still).

And yes, karasuman. I change my former summary: Cockatrice is an accurate Stone spell.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #21234
Posted: 16th November 2003 03:59

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN European Cup, 2008. Winner of the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
On the SNES version, I received the Bomb once on the moon and the Imp once in the small piece of land coming out of the cave where you get Tellah (and fight Octomam in the next portion of the cave). I haven't gotten any on the PS version.

--------------------
SPEKKIO: "GRRR...That was most embarrassing!"
Post #21262
Posted: 16th November 2003 20:07

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I couldn't find these secret summons either. I the game on the ps version. Looks like I'll be trying to dig up more information again. Oh well sleep.gif .

--------------------
I will be the mustard of your doom!
Post #21305
Posted: 17th November 2003 02:06

Black Mage

Awards:
bomb rocks with rydia. it CAN do max damage, but i forget whats based off of. only downside is it kills her. the imp is good at the beginning. it cost less than chocobo, but is better than her black magic at that time, but it becomes the suck later. never got mage or cockatrice. ah well....

--------------------
once you can accept yourself, you will never be alone
Post #21368
Posted: 18th November 2003 05:47

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Wait...what does Bomb do?
1. deals a decent amount of damage to one target
2. deals a decent amount of damage to all targets (split or ignores division?)
3. deals damage to one target equal to Rydia's current HP, then swoons Rydia
4. deals damage to one target equal to some multiple of Rydia's current HP, then swonns Rydia
5. other

I have a feeling I've heard all of them before, and that might be partially because of a difference between the various versions of the game. Which one goes with which? (Needless to say, I haven't ever gotten the Bomb summon myself.)

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #21597
Posted: 18th November 2003 12:46

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 18th November 2003 00:47)
Wait...what does Bomb do?

When I played with Game Genie codes, I bought that, but I never experimented with it. I only tried it like two or three times. It did low damage (this was in the beginning of the game, and I'm 99% sure it was no where near her HP) and it definitely didn't wound her.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #21642
Posted: 26th November 2003 21:19

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Dark Paladin @ 13th November 2003 15:27)
Cockatrice is unavailable in FFIIus.
All the summons and the Dragon Whip are a rare drop. They only have a 1/64 chance of being acquired after you defeat a certain monster.
I only got one of those summons, too. I got the Imp summon in the Antlion's cave, and never got it again.
Edit
As far as the Dragon Whip, just keep pounding on Blue Dragons

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
1 in 64 chance? Is it the same for Adamant?
Post #22607
Posted: 26th November 2003 23:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Want a quick description of those "Hidden" Summons eh?

Cocatrice : Not in FF2us, but in every other version.. its attack (if successful) will petrify one target, thus killing it.
Imp : In all versions, i dont know why people bother getting this besides having a laugh... its attack is uh, normal, like anyone elses, but weak.. most ive seen it to is around 200 Dmg (and this is at Level 99 btw)
Mage/Flayer : This guy was taken out of FF2us aswell, dunno why, its attack is a Non-Elemental strike vs one enemy, deals average damage.
Bomb : All versions, the way this Summon works is identical to the Mist Dragon.. where-in; DMG=Rydias Current HP (not max HP, the current total of HP when she cast the spell), heh, except they are 2 different summons.. (one is a dragon, one a bomb, duh, lol) Oh, and you can only target one opponent with the Bomb, which is a shame.

I wont spoil how you get them though wink.gif

This post has been edited by Elena99 on 27th November 2003 01:19
Post #22611
Posted: 30th November 2003 14:28

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Actually guys, the Cockatrice and Mage summons weren't taken out of FF2, you just can't get them without hacking.

If you do, Cockatrice shows up as Dummy.
Post #22882
Posted: 1st December 2003 09:13

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (Mikey @ 30th November 2003 09:28)
Actually guys, the Cockatrice and Mage summons weren't taken out of FF2, you just can't get them without hacking.

And Mage is in IIus

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #22963
Posted: 1st December 2003 17:17

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Mikey @ 30th November 2003 09:28)

So what do you mean by dummied? Because I heard of someone hacking this ROM before and allowing the Cockatrice/Mage summons, but I never actually went to see if it worked..

.. on a side note, I was browsing the web the other day when I came by this Square site (the name escapes me, of course), that had a pretty neat section on it, concerning a newsletter called the "Ogopogo Examiner" which was a newsletter Squaresoft sent to all it's registered fans, and had tips, release dates and what not. One of the earliest ones they had scanned on the site had a list of all the Rarities in FFIV. I believe the heading was something like "Found These Yet", and had a list including the Bomb and Imp Summon, the Adamant Armor, and the Dragon Whip. It was pretty neat to see that Square actually let people know about these hard to find items/summons.
Post #22973
Posted: 1st December 2003 18:19

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Living Tribunal @ 1st December 2003 12:17)
So what do you mean by dummied?

I haven't hacked my ROM or had it hacked before, but I've seen screenshots of the Cockatrice summon. As I remember, the proper name "Cockatrice" doesn't show up (the way "Leviatan", "Bahamut", and "Titan" do, for example); instead, the top of the screen says "Dummy".

I think all of these deleted characteristics of games that were "lost in translation" are called "dummies" and said to be "dummied" because of this name--it became tradition to use this term. Anyone know whether this was the case?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #22982
Posted: 1st December 2003 19:51
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 1st December 2003 13:19)
Quote (Living Tribunal @ 1st December 2003 12:17)
So what do you mean by dummied?

I haven't hacked my ROM or had it hacked before, but I've seen screenshots of the Cockatrice summon. As I remember, the proper name "Cockatrice" doesn't show up (the way "Leviatan", "Bahamut", and "Titan" do, for example); instead, the top of the screen says "Dummy".

I think all of these deleted characteristics of games that were "lost in translation" are called "dummies" and said to be "dummied" because of this name--it became tradition to use this term. Anyone know whether this was the case?

If you use game genie, you can get the dummied items.

And, yeah, that's why they're called that. They're in the game, but they're not accessible through normal game play. Makes sense to me, kinda.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #22988
Posted: 2nd December 2003 05:14

Cetra

Awards:
To supplement, they dummied many FFIV items (the Cockatrice spell, all but two spell-casting items, and all but one status recovery items, plus a few more) when they translated it to IIus. They replaced the names of the items with "Dummy." There are two dummied items that did not have their names changed (the HandAxe and Assassin Dagger) because they were dummied out of the original.

--------------------
-Brad Meltzer
Post #23028
Posted: 2nd December 2003 06:05

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Maybe they thought American gamers were dummies...that's true for a lot of Americans, but surprising few American gamers who play these games...

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #23032
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: