CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Rosa's father

Posted: 15th April 2007 05:26

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
So some guy comes up to me and asks me to put Rosa's article on the FF Wiki on the front page. Now to do this, I had to do some research on her.

But I noticed there was a little problem. I found many, many sources that say her father was a Dark Knight, but now I read the Ultimania and find out her father's a Dragoon.

So, is her father a Dark Knight or a Dragoon? What do you think? -CSM

--------------------
Post #148069
Posted: 15th April 2007 05:30

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Dark Knight Or Dragoon, id say Neither because wasnt her mother a Summoner?

--------------------
Kupo.
Post #148070
Posted: 15th April 2007 06:21

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
CrzyMonk3y Posted on 15th April 2007 00:30

wasnt her mother a Summoner?

uhh..., Crzy, I believe that you got Rydia and Rosa mixed up. Rydia was a summoner and so was her mother, but Rosa was the white mage.

Anyway, I wouldn't know. Just to be me, I'd say a Dragoon, because I mean her daughter was a white mage (pure, kinda) and why would he be Evil (Dark Knight)?

That's just me, so don't argue with me over this, it's my opinion, and we all have ours. I would be curious to know what her father really was, or he could've just been an Engineer like Cid. There are a lot of things he could've been.

--------------------
Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Chrsit for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

Acts 4:12

Matthew 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
Post #148073
Posted: 15th April 2007 06:36

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Wikipedia doesn't even specify her father's class. It just implies he's some sort of fighter and the mother's a white mage.

I'd be more inclined to trust the Ultimania, as it's canon. Also, since when is the internet accurate? If these claims are being made, you should investigate their sources.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #148074
Posted: 15th April 2007 06:40

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Oh I Got Mixed Up With Rydia, and Rosa....

--------------------
Kupo.
Post #148075
Posted: 15th April 2007 13:53

Eli MVP?

Awards:
If, I remember correctly, it was a dark night. Reason is, because i think it said he was, and also Cecil had a huge crush on her too.
Post #148087
Posted: 15th April 2007 17:46
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I'd like to know where all of these sources get that Rosa's father is a Dark Knight. Ultimania is canon by definition, so they can present information without justification and have it be taken as fact...so I guess I'd go with them.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #148094
Posted: 15th April 2007 20:16

Crusader

Awards:
i am pretty sure he was a dark knight, because i remember it saying he was, and her mother became a white mage to help him. so like mother like daughter i guess wink.gif

--------------------
Aujourdhui a commence avec toi.
Post #148104
Posted: 16th April 2007 01:15

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
dcr is right. One of the times you talk to Rosa's mother, she says that, comparing Rosa's situation with hers.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #148123
Posted: 21st April 2007 20:16

Black Mage

Awards:
Quick question. Final Fantasy IV Ultimania?!

Where? How? Google and eBay give me nothing. Please tell me where I can get this book! D:

Also, I agree that we should go with the ultimania. It seems as though that would be the canon.

--------------------
"Some fight for justice. Some fight for law . . .
. . .Cecil, what will you fight for?"

~KluYa
Post #148532
Posted: 22nd April 2007 07:58

Awards:
It's probably the rarest book in the world. A translation can be found here. -CSM

--------------------
Post #148561
Posted: 22nd April 2007 15:04

Black Mage

Awards:
Oh, good. Thanks for the info CSM. From the way we were talking, it sounded a lot like there was an ultimania written in english. It turns out I have this book, the japanese version, along with the original in depth walkthrough, also in japanese.

I think I'll spend a few days with this translation you linked me. Thanks again.

--------------------

~KluYa
Post #148565
Posted: 22nd April 2007 16:34

Awards:
I know the FFIV series had four books, as did FFVI. FFVI no one got around to yet. -CSM

--------------------
Post #148569
Posted: 24th April 2007 00:34

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The book isn't rare, you'd just have to get it second hand given it's age. As Rebecca Capowski translated, it says that Rosa's father is a dragoon (dragon knight). So are the game and the book at odds with each other?

--------------------
"Cavefish is delicious, but only if cooked."
Post #148659
Posted: 24th April 2007 02:45

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Just from what little I've read, that wouldn't be the first time the FFIV Ultimania contradicted the game. (Edit: I finished the whole thing now.)

on Cid, for instance:
...Developer of the airships. He has long held a strong yearning for the skies; he studied ancient Baronian lore and unearthed the ancient technology of the "art of flotation" - which he combined with his own aviation theories and used to bring the airship into being.

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Was it not said IN game that Klu-Ya brought Airships to the world? It strikes me that it would be hard for them to be from an ancient text if Cecil's Father was the one who introduced them to the world. For that matter, it also makes mention of the Devil's Road. Again, not as a technology Klu-Ya created.

Edit: Spoiler'd

This post has been edited by MogMaster on 24th April 2007 03:52

--------------------
Don't you be tarot-fied,
~Frank Zappa

Post #148664
Posted: 24th April 2007 15:07

Black Mage

Awards:
Well, it's possible the ancient technology he unearthed was Lunarian technology, brought to the world by KluYa. It didn't say where he got it.

--------------------

~KluYa
Post #148699
Posted: 24th April 2007 22:36

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
That is a possibility. . It does make one wonder what the life span of the average Lunarian is then.

--------------------
Don't you be tarot-fied,
~Frank Zappa

Post #148727
Posted: 25th April 2007 00:00

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
We know KluYa made the Big Whale. In the original Japanese script, FuSoYa says KluYa made it "long ago", and it has passed into legend in Mysidia. He is dead, apparently. He has a 20 year old son.

Clearly there are some gaps here. It seems reasonable that Lunarians are very long lived, but the circumstances of his death and his family are no less puzzling. (Did he hook up with a woman who likes her men... mature?) It seems to me that FFIV's plot just isn't very concerned with the past.

--------------------
Post #148732
Posted: 25th April 2007 00:52

Awards:
I can agree with the theory that KluYa brought the technology to the world and Cid harnessed it. Just because you bring a technology to the world doesn't mean you use it for its full potential.

Also, SI: If the book weren't rare, wouldn't all of these things be all over the internet now? -CSM

--------------------
Post #148740
Posted: 25th April 2007 23:51

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
It's not rare at all - I just found over a dozen listings containing it on Yahoo Japan Auctions and about a half dozen on eBay. If you want to pick one up, I suggest using "final fantasy vi art" as your search string on the latter site. It's the book with Amano art of Kain on the cover. Actually you can probably get the equivalent book for Final Fantasy VI with minor alterations to the search.

As for why this book is not well known, the game came out a long time ago and you probably wouldn't have known it existed unless you were in Japan at the time. And though the re-releases rekindled interest, who's besides the most devoted fan is looking for 6-12 year old game merchandise?

This post has been edited by Shiva Indis on 26th April 2007 00:04

--------------------
Post #148839
Posted: 3rd May 2007 00:11
Returner

There was either a translation error in the SNES edition or an error made by my own small brain at the time I played it that led me to believe Cid was Rosa's father for a while. I wish I remember what line it was, though, so I could figure out how it was retranslated for the other two releases. =/
Post #149276
Posted: 3rd May 2007 00:36

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
IIRC, it said in-game that Klu Ya's people brought the airship technology to the Earth. I'm fairly sure FuSoYa made mention of the lunarians showing the earthlings how this stuff work, so I'd assume there was contact between the two races at some point.

Here we go, straight from the game.

FuSoYa: My brother KluYa made it to go to the Blue Planet.  He taught your folks how to build the airships and the Serpent Road.  KluYa fell in love with a girl of your blue planet and gave birth to two children.  One of them is you, Cecil.

I suspect Cid's just an engineer working for Baron who was one of the potentially large amount of people with the knowledge how to build airships. After all, there's one underground (the Falcon) and I'm fairly sure it's not Cid's work.

FuSoYa MAY be thousands of years old.

FuSoYa: Yes.  Millennia ago, the planet between Mars and Jupiter was about to be shattered.  The people who survived this calamity escaped by ships and headed for the Blue Planet.

Cecil: The blue planet?

FuSoYa: Your land earth.  However, the people of the earth were still in the process of evolution.  Thus they created another moon and kept sleeping.

Edge: Lunarians?

FuSoYa: But he (Zemus) refused it.  He tried to make the earth his place to live.

You can't "build" a moon overnight. So unless some REALLY crazy spells were at work, we can assume the Lunarians were in space gluing chunks of rock together with crazy glue for a very long time. And we can probably assume Zemus and FuSoYa were around at that time for the latter to force the former to sleep. He's probably way old given that this took places several millenia ago.

As for Rosa, I don't have anything but I'm fairly sure, like DP, that someone (either in Baron or Kaipo...) mentions Rosa's father was a dark knight in service of Baron (dark knight doesn't necessarily mean evil - Cecil being a good example; it's just a title.) His wife became a white mage to help him. Kinda explains what she sees in prettyboy-Cecil, doesn't it? Could someone be having a full-on raging electra complex? wink.gif

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #149279
Posted: 19th July 2007 07:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I havent played 4 in a while but i thought she was King Baron's daughter. Correct me if im wrong and I would assume a Dragoon instead of a Dark Knight even though apparently Baron produced both. It seems like the Red Wings were dragoons and Cecil was like an honored captain.

--------------------
"Death to Mystic Enemies" ~ Heckran

"Say yer prayers Lynx! Not that they'll do you any good." ~ Schala "Kid" Zeal

"Hold yer Seahorses"
Post #153480
Posted: 1st August 2007 01:58

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Er...I know I'll sound like a dumb now,but...Wasn't Rosa Cid's daughter?
Post #154473
Posted: 1st August 2007 02:05

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Rosa's Father was a Dark Knight. If you go to her house in the beginning of the game her mother will say something about her dad being a Dark Knight and he died or something.

the Red Wings were dragoons

Uh, no there not. The only Dragoon is Kain. The Red wings are all Knights.

This post has been edited by BanjoTheClown on 1st August 2007 02:07
Post #154477
Posted: 1st August 2007 10:35

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (Bacillodikoch @ 1st August 2007 01:58)

Thats what I always thought
Post #154514
Posted: 1st August 2007 14:12
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Quote (Dark Paladin Danny @ 1st August 2007 05:35)

Cid's daughter lives in Cid's house in the northwest corner of Baron. Rosa's mother lives in a different house more to the east. Unless we're claiming that Rosa's parents are divorced but still live in the same town and that Rosa has a half-sister whom she completely ignores, this theory fails.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #154521
Posted: 1st August 2007 21:42

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (karasuman @ 1st August 2007 14:12)
Quote (Dark Paladin Danny @ 1st August 2007 05:35)

Cid's daughter lives in Cid's house in the northwest corner of Baron. Rosa's mother lives in a different house more to the east. Unless we're claiming that Rosa's parents are divorced but still live in the same town and that Rosa has a half-sister whom she completely ignores, this theory fails.

Gasp! Logic! Nuu! *Melts*
Post #154557
Posted: 2nd August 2007 04:35

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
One major problem guys... Everyones forgetting that even though there is access to the story that we can read, we dont know for certain that the guys at Square didn't look at it and go "Well, this doesn't work, so we're just gonna change it, and screw it if it no longer matches the book, its better for us."

That being said, it seems more probable that Rosa's father is a Dragoon. The archetype simply matches her personality better than a Dark Knight does.

--------------------
think you're a true rp dork - try it live action shifted lands
Post #154602
Posted: 2nd August 2007 05:46

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Im just gonna say that Rosa's Father died, and he was probably neither of the two. I Think that her Father was just a Knight in the Red wings. So her Father isnt a Dragoon or a Dark Knight. sleep.gif
Post #154609
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: