CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What should I do with the Masamune?

Posted: 28th January 2011 02:27
Returner

Okay, I've just gotten the Masamune sword, and I can't decide who needs it more.

My party is this:

Red Wizard
Ninja
Master
Black Wizard

I was challenging myself to beat the game without a Fighter. The problem is, this makes most of the equipment available in the game completely useless, including the Excalibur. That means that the Masamune is the only REALLY strong Sword available.

My Ninja has the Sasuke equipped, which I think is the best sword for them aside from this one. The Red Wizard is still using the Sunblade, which I think is the best one available for them.

Should I give the Masamune to my Red Wizard, my Ninja, or my Black Wizard? The Ninja is the strongest character (aside from the Monk) in terms of physical power, and could make the best use of the extra attack power, but he's already got a pretty powerful sword.

The Red Wizard is making do with a slightly weaker sword, but they also have lower attack power than the Ninja. Should I give them the sword, or just have them use Black and White Magic all the time?

The Black Wizard... is still using the Cat Claw, but I'm planning to have them use Flare and other such Black Magic such most of the time anyway. Would it even be worth giving them a good weapon, since their attack power is so abysmal?

I'm very conflicted. What should I do? Most of the advice out there on this subject presumes you have at least one Fighter.
Post #192563
Posted: 28th January 2011 02:40

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
When I first played this game years ago, the conventional wisdom was that you'd give the weakest member of the party (typically your White Wizard) the Masamune so that it could give a bit more balance and input from that character. So, with your party, that would go to the Black Wizard.

I'm not sure I buy it, though, in your case, because the Black Wizard is already such a potent offensive weapon.

For my money, I'd give it to the Red Wizard. It'll save his magic a bit but still enable him to do his healing or offensive magic when the situation warrants it. Of course, it might change a little bit based on what version you're playing, but I think Red Wizard is probably the way to go.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #192564
Posted: 28th January 2011 03:10
Returner

When I first played this game years ago, the conventional wisdom was that you'd give the weakest member of the party (typically your White Wizard) the Masamune so that it could give a bit more balance and input from that character. So, with your party, that would go to the Black Wizard.

That's what I had gathered from all the FAQs I've read, myself... but it doesn't quite feel right, since I know I'll be using Flare repeatedly... I did the class change early enough that my BW has several shots of Flare, possibly longer than the battle with Chaos will last. Especially since all of the characters will have Haste on them within one turn, after I cast Inv2 via the RW.

I'm not sure I buy it, though, in your case, because the Black Wizard is already such a potent offensive weapon.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking!

For my money, I'd give it to the Red Wizard. It'll save his magic a bit but still enable him to do his healing or offensive magic when the situation warrants it.  Of course, it might change a little bit based on what version you're playing, but I think Red Wizard is probably the way to go.

That seems logical. After all, the Ninja is very strong, and already has the third-strongest sword in the game. So I should give the Red Wizard a boost to help him keep up, since he's not really weak, just a little underpowered at this point with the lack of weapons.

I will do that. Thank you very much. smile.gif
Post #192565
Posted: 28th January 2011 03:22

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I think it depends on which version of the game you're playing. In the original, I know you can only cast Flare maybe 4 times tops, so it would be beneficial to give the sword to your Black Wizard so he can tear up the field after those charges are used up. If you're playing a remake that is less draconian with spell charges, than yeah, just keep your Black Wizard pumping out Flares, presumably your Ninja is using his Katana, and that leaves the Red Wizard to wield the Masamune.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #192566
Posted: 29th January 2011 07:25
Returner

I think it depends on which version of the game you're playing. In the original, I know you can only cast Flare maybe 4 times tops, so it would be beneficial to give the sword to your Black Wizard so he can tear up the field after those charges are used up. If you're playing a remake that is less draconian with spell charges, than yeah, just keep your Black Wizard pumping out Flares, presumably your Ninja is using his Katana, and that leaves the Red Wizard to wield the Masamune.

I'm actually playing the Playstation Remake, Final Fantasy Origins. I'm at level 37 and I already have 6 spell charges for Flare. I actually intended to face Chaos at level 35, but I leveled up twice while trying to get through that temple, and I may reach 39 or 40 because I warped out and saved after getting Masamune.

By that point... Chaos might be easier than I bargained for, because I've never heard of anyone leveling up to 40 on purpose to fight him.
Post #192589
Posted: 30th January 2011 11:18
Returner

I equipped the Masamune to my Red Wizard. I reached Chaos at level 38.

On the first turn, I did the following:

RW: Cast Haste on self.
Ninja: Cast Haste on self.
Master: Use White Robe (Cast Inv2).
BW: Cast Haste on Master.

After this, my Master STILL did way more damage than the Red Wizard, who seemed stuck doing around 250. The Ninja was staying around 100 damage, and the Black Mage's Flares were barely breaking 150.

And the Master? He was doing... 500-600, minimum. He was the most powerful character, even without expensive swords or magic.

Within 4 turns, Chaos was destroyed. I didn't have the chance to use Flare more than 3 times. He ended up being no harder than the bosses I had gone through to get to him, and my Master made short work of him.

I'm beginning to wonder if this was a worthwhile challenge. Not having a Fighter or a White Mage wasn't really tough, in retrospect. Especially since the Master is clearly almost as powerful, and the two other melee characters were capable of casting Haste and Saber on themselves in a pinch. The Red Wizard was almost as good having as a White Mage AND an extra Black Mage, in addition to passable combat abilities.

What basically redeemed this party and made the game fairly easy, was the abundance of Black Magic. If there was an elemental weakness to exploit, I could have three members of my party cast appropriate spells.

The only real annoyances? Not having Life2, and not being able to use most of the equipment I came across... these ultimately didn't make a major difference in my experience, though.

So, thanks for your help, everyone! I didn't have a hard time after all. I was worried for nothing.

This post has been edited by athenian200 on 30th January 2011 11:21
Post #192597
Posted: 30th January 2011 15:51

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Glad you finished up - I'd suggest trying it on the PSP version next, which I've found to be considerably harder. smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #192598
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: