Worst Game that you have ever played

Posted: 26th October 2009 15:32

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
all games made from movie titles...
i like movies made from games but not the other way around

--------------------
both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere..
Post #182036
Posted: 26th October 2009 17:37

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Quote (Tetsuken @ 26th September 2009 15:35)
Pretty much the only thing that comes to mind is “Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday” for the SNES. I recall renting this game when I was 8. Forty-five minutes later I was done. The End, Roll Credits. I realize the game was likely aimed at young kids, but is substance too much to ask?

Then again, considering the game itself, perhaps this was a blessing in disguise. The music ranged from ‘forgettable mediocrity’ to ‘Oh Deity, please end me’. The difficulty could be compared to playing Street Fighter II against a cat. Also, the visuals in this game ranged from bland to ‘eye-pain’ (I'm looking at you, Porky... though I wish I weren't).

I could forgive the lackluster visuals if the game itself was fun, but it really wasn't. The game was just dull (at best) in every aspect.

Hahaha. I played through that game at the age of 8 as well, and could not have written a better review myself. The best part of that game was the noises Porky made when getting hit. The Boss battles were ridiculously easy/stupid too. I somehow can't remember who the final boss was now... there was Yosemite, Abominable, Tweety... uh...not that it matters biggrin.gif

I can't think of a game I would call the WORST off the top of my head, but some of the cruddy ones I can think of include:

Donkey Kong 64- Nothing about this game kept my interest. It was like Mario 64 mechanics slapped on to a game that had a shabby story, weak quests, boring maps ("Oh, another jungle theme") mediocre music, and was just an overall disappointment. I tried too. I played it for like 4 hours waiting for it to get interesting. Not so much.

Quest 64- Sigh. A serious abortion of an RPG. If you've played it, you know.

Any game based on a movie. Period. If there's an exception I can't think of one

Oh, and this one Goofy themed game that involved mazes and puzzle solving on a desert island. Can't recall the title, but it was rotten.

Where's Waldo- For the SNES. It had like 6 levels. Seriously. The challenge was supposed to come from raising the difficulty level, (which it did,) but doing that still landed you in the same levels doing the same bonus round where you fly the dog through the air on a magic carpet collecting bones. Shoulda just bought the book, honestly it would have been far more interesting.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #182043
Posted: 27th October 2009 06:11

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (MogMaster @ 26th October 2009 11:37)

Any game based on a movie. Period. If there's an exception I can't think of one

I thought The Two Towers and Return of the King games back in the PS2 era were excellent. Aside from that though I don't think I've played any good ones either.
Post #182055
Posted: 10th November 2009 23:08

Engineer

Awards:
All Star Watersports and London Racer for the PS1
Post #182307
Posted: 14th December 2009 20:21

Returner

Quote (yelanates @ 15th July 2009 14:52)
Worst I have ever played is "The Wizard of Oz" for SNES (or was it NES?)

I SECOND THAT!
Post #182840
Posted: 24th July 2011 19:56

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Although the games I mentioned earlier in this thread (Lagoon, Day Dreamin' Davey) are basically poop in videogame form, I'll throw another couple out there.

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure - I tried playing this game because I found it for $10 used on the PlayStation while I was addicted to Disgaea, which has a character from Rhapsody as a cameo. The game is horrible. Cutesy character that I couldn't care a whit about and awful gameplay in every respect.

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - back when polygonal 3D platformers were the bee's knees, Croc came flying on the coattails of good PS1 platformers like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Ape Escape, except that it's not even a quarter as good. Uninspired stage design and visuals, generic to a fault. If you really, REALLY have an itch to play a late-90s platformer, you could do better with any of those other games I mentioned plus Mario, Klonoa, or any of Rare's games on the N64.

--------------------
Post #196097
Posted: 2nd August 2011 21:30

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Crash Endburn @ 26th October 2009 16:32)
all games made from movie titles...
i like movies made from games but not the other way around

You never played Toy Story 2.

Worst game ever is Cosmic Race. Look it up.
Post #196586
Posted: 4th August 2011 00:25

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (MogMaster @ 26th October 2009 17:37)
Donkey Kong 64- Nothing about this game kept my interest. It was like Mario 64 mechanics slapped on to a game that had a shabby story, weak quests, boring maps ("Oh, another jungle theme") mediocre music, and was just an overall disappointment. I tried too. I played it for like 4 hours waiting for it to get interesting. Not so much.

While it wasn't the worst game I've ever played, per se, I agree. The game underwhelmed me. It really just boiled down to "COLLECT ALL THE THINGS"

--------------------
EGG TOSS
YOU CARRY
EAT A BAG
LEMON-DY
HEAD SAUCE
JIM CARREY
IN A BEAR
HEAVEN PEE
DAFFY-ROTH
- brentalfloss
Post #196664
Posted: 6th August 2011 07:35

Cactuar

Awards:

Pac Man on the Atari. It was awful, chunky and full of glitches.

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #196706
Posted: 6th August 2011 13:53

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (ZidaneTribal @ 6th August 2011 08:35)
Pac Man on the Atari. It was awful, chunky and full of glitches.

I often wonder whether people have actually played E.T. or Pac-Man Atari, and to quote Francis from SPM,

"I love to go on online message boards and complain about games I've never played!"
Post #196710
Posted: 7th August 2011 04:32

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
One game I really wanted to like but couldn't even play was Grandia Xtreme for PSX. I adored Grandia I, so I was stoked when I finally got my hands on this one. Sucks that I couldn't tell what I was doing :s For running around, It had a tilted overhead view, and made the walls so tall you constantly had to move the camera to see your guy and the details of the room you were in, but the turn radius on the camera was like 35 degrees, so you often had it where you saw a lot of black on the screen and didn't know where your people were or what they were doing. I was too frustrated with it to continue sad.gif

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #196715
Posted: 7th August 2011 06:23
Returner

Bebes Kids.

I don't even know what genre it is, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oLb3MFGhgw
Post #196716
Posted: 7th August 2011 11:10

Returner

I would have to say the worst game I've ever played is Deadly Premonition.
the WORST game mechanics of all time, imo.

--------------------
Heat cannot be separated from flame, nor beauty from the eternal
Post #196721
Posted: 7th August 2011 19:34

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (TheJenovaProject @ 7th August 2011 07:10)
I would have to say the worst game I've ever played is Deadly Premonition.
the WORST game mechanics of all time, imo.

That was intentional though. That game is a parody.

--------------------
Post #196729
Posted: 10th August 2011 03:35

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I don't remember a lot about it but Unlimited Saga was pretty bad.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #196772
Posted: 15th August 2011 00:17

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Apart from some stupid pirate romhacks, there's...this:

Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (NES)

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #196845
Posted: 15th August 2011 09:46

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2008 Fanfiction contest. 
Eh I dunno if I can call them bad, but their not all that good either. I just bought them becaus eI like having snes games from when I was a kid. My collection is almost back to normal :3. Anyways the games I'm talking about are the Mickey Mouse Adventure games. The first one with Mickey trying to save Pluto from the Evil Wizard Pete. And the second one where you could play as minnie or mickey in the great cirus mystery I belive was it's name.

But err Worst by far all worst games in my opinion are any sports type games for the snes. Shaq-fu is up there too, only cause its a pretty clear knock off of Mortal Kombat and The great Shaq!!

Mario Kart....Meh I'm not so sure about it. Loved the soundtrack, the originality of it, but the controls were a complete terribad. I can't recall how many times I'd get love tapped by Bowser and thrown into the water

--------------------
Kefka's Message of the week: Get off your couch noobs and get my new game Dissidia 012
Post #196852
Posted: 17th August 2011 15:06

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I never played ET on the Atari 2600, but the worst game I ever played was another 2600 cyncical movie cash-in (ahem, I mean movie tie-in) and that was 'Ghostbusters'. To be honest I remember little of the game, but I do recall annoying repetetive music, dull gameplay and ropey controls.

Probably the next worst game was 'Turbo Outrun' on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. It was such a frustrating game with un-responsive controls and awful game mechanics. Throw in some lousy digitised speech and ropey graphics and you have one of the worst Megadrive racers ever.

The only saving grace is the game was bought for me as a present. At least I didn't waste any pocket money on it!

--------------------
"Smoking's bad, mm'kay?"

-Mr Mackey-
Post #196911
Posted: 21st August 2011 19:35

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
I've played a bunch of bad games, but recently I decided to rent Brink and Two Worlds II... ... ... ... I wanted to hit myself. The worst games I've played all year so far.

--------------------
PS3 tag: TipoDLuffy

"...quite possibly the greatest game ever made"
Post #197012
Posted: 21st August 2011 19:47

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Scooby Doo! Night of 100 Frights. Never got past the first level. I couldn't even like it as an easily impressed small child.

--------------------
-FFIII FFIV FFV FFVII FFVIII FFX FFXII FFXIII FF:Dissidia FFVII:CC FFVII:DoC
--KHI KHII KH:COM KH:BbS
---SO:FD SO:TTEOT SO:TLH
----DQIII DQVIII
-----DA:O DAII
------VP:S
Post #197013
Posted: 21st August 2011 19:59

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I've played quite a few bad games in my time... can't remember them all.

One in particular... *looks around* ... has to be FF: Mystic Quest for the SNES. It's basically a very dumbed-down Final Fantasy, very linear and with very repetitive and often-unavoidable battles. (The Battlefields were particularly arduous--ten battles before receiving a special award, all-too-often merely gil or EXP.)

The difficulty is also another huge problem with the game. Some monsters can be very difficult, inflicting statuses like Sleep, Paralyze, Confusion, and Petrify very easily to your party members. Others are pushovers, lacking the HP to stand up to more than a round or two of pummelling. Not to mention that the spell system is lacking and broken--only twelve spells, eight of them attack spells, the Cure spell being almost completely useless (Life can be used to restore HP), and not to mention the game-breaking Life and Exit spells which function as instant-death spells. It wouldn't be as silly if the game gave you the most White magic charges out of other types of spells (Black and "Wizard"), if your allies weren't given these spells and if you couldn't restore all of your magic charges with an inexpensive Seed.

Not the worst game I've ever played, mind you, but very disappointing for a Final Fantasy game. (This isn't even getting into the fact of a glitch/secret that can defeat the final boss in three turns with a spell you couldn't have possibly missed, making it incredibly anti-climatic.)

--------------------
Thank you for taking the time to read this sign. This sign loves you.
Post #197014
Posted: 13th February 2017 16:49

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I was going to start a thread about this but figured there was one already, and sure enough here it is! There are probably many others, but these are the ones I remember the most:

1.) The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There is some serious awfulness going on here. The dam level, the MANY horrible, difficult pixel-perfect jumps you must perform (or face more awfulness), the lives system and very imbalanced turtles are just the beginning of my complaints on this turd.

2.) "Mario is Missing!" This game just made me sad to play. This was nothing like I was expecting, only terrible gameplay and no excitement to be found, anywhere. I meandered around pointlessly for a few hours on a couple different tries, and gave up for good.

3.) Quest 64. Ugh, I wanted to love this game SO bad. I never had a PlayStation which was where all the good RPGs wound up after the SNES era, but then I saw Quest 64 in Nintendo Power and had to get my RPG fix, especially since it would be in 3D. I poured hours upon hours in this game and....never, ever got anything resembling satisfaction. It was completely shallow at every point, and simply wasn't interesting. Maybe it was intended as an introductory RPG for people trying it out or something, but no one needs this game in their lives, ever.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 13th February 2017 16:57
Post #212164
Posted: 13th February 2017 19:05

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Number 1 on my list is Magna Carta for the PS2. That game was boring!
Number 2 was Dragonball Z Sagas. Man that game was disappointing. It only misses number 1 by a little bit due to having a couple moments I thought where cool.
Number 3 was Croc: The Legend of the Gobos. This game is also boring. I didn't help that I had played Croc 2 first, which I did like, but yeah. The first one just sucked.
Number 4 would be Quest 64. I had a lot of fun with the beginning of this game. I felt the beginning layed the ground for a good story and game. Too bad it built a shabby mess upon the groundwork instead of a good game.

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #212169
Posted: 13th February 2017 19:25

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 13th February 2017 11:49)
2.) "Mario is Missing!" This game just made me sad to play. This was nothing like I was expecting, only terrible gameplay and no excitement to be found, anywhere. I meandered around pointlessly for a few hours on a couple different tries, and gave up for good.

Which one did you play? There are three different ones IIRC, for NES, SNES, and PC.

I've played the NES one, and it's sorta...well, just tedious, mainly.

It has a sort of "companion" game, Mario's Time Machine, that I found more fun. I also played that one's NES version.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212172
Posted: 13th February 2017 19:43

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I played the NES version as well. I mostly just walked around in what was the opposite of fun, especially at a time when I had Battletoads & SMB 3 at my fingertips (and Battletoads was ludicrously hard to an unfair degree, but at least it was FUN).

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 13th February 2017 19:44
Post #212174
Posted: 13th February 2017 20:08

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Without question, the first game that comes to my mind is Bullet Witch for the XBOX 360.

Stay as far away from that game as humanly possible. It's absolutely terrible. On every level.

--------------------
Post #212179
Posted: 25th February 2017 14:56

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Batman and Thundercats on the Atari ST were both pretty poor. Infinite enemies in the latter as you attempted to get past the awkward platforming in very uninspired levels. Death came swiftly but that was probably for the best.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #212320
Posted: 25th February 2017 19:43

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (laszlow @ 5th July 2009 15:09)
Lagoon for the SNES.  It's a bad Zelda clone and dungeon crawler with poorly-constructed abilities, frustrating difficulty based on poor scaling and brokenness, and completely uninteresting storyline, characters, audio, and visuals.  What a waste of time.

Second place is Day Dreamin' Davey for the NES.  It's probably "technically" worse than Lagoon is, because it's bad without any explanation or justification, but my memories of playing Lagoon are worse than those of playing Davey.

I agree with myself from 8 years ago. With the small caveat that Lagoon is probably closer to an Ys clone than being a Zelda clone, but in 2009 the only Ys game I had played was the terrible SNES version of Ys III.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 25th February 2017 19:44

--------------------
Post #212322
Posted: 25th February 2017 23:44

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
HM.........which game that I've played was just utter donkey muck....

Ok. It took a second, but I had to think back to when I was a teenager, and collecting NES games with my two bros trolling round game shops...

...Castelian...gosh. What. CRRRRAAAAAAAp.

The thing is awful. You know those NES games that have only, like 1 piece of music? It's one of those. Points off for no music but that thing. 1 5 1. Minor 2 Flat 6 Minor 2. sad.gif uhggggggggggggghgthhghgh

It's worse than the Veldt music to me. I hate that FREAKING sound.

And good news! It gets worse. The thing controls like the ugly freaking weird creature...you uh....control is covered in mollasses in a tarpit. It is freaking ridiculous, and there's more even!

The levels are strictly trial and error crap. There is nothing in the game that "teaches you through" the experience, it is reaaally haphazard in how it's stage layouts play out. It has a stupid gimmick (that BattleToads has, and was later adopted by Super Ghouls and Ghosts as well) where the background is a rotating tower that looks 3-d. I'm gonna call it and say that that's what the whole project was based around, and they just didn't have anyone on hand who knew how to code a physics engine or design a stage. Or draw. Or uh...write a story. I do not know Castelian's story, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I do not believe I would find it to be thought-provoking writing.

The thing is a stinking utter turd of the absolute most vile nature. Avoid it. Don't even include it in 100% complete NES Collections.

Just don't. The thing plays like it's been cursed by a voodoo witchdoctor.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212326
Posted: 26th February 2017 06:33

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
I'm familiar with the GB version of Castelian.

Yeah it's trial-and-error to learn the castles' layout and to figure out how far some obstacles are from you.

I think the music tracks might differ between versions. The names have in some cases.

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #212330
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: