CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Question about CoN Chat

Posted: 4th August 2010 19:53

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I've been here for like 8 years and I am still not sure if I've put this thread in the right area, but, I wanted to ask: Is there any way to get a mIRC client on an Android phone? More specifically, the Motorola Droid? I wanna be able to get into CoN Chat while at work. It is probably a long-shot, and it seems my phone doesn't have the Java support required on its own, but I figured I would ask anyway.

You would think I would know this answer since I work for Verizon, but I figured I would ask those of you more knowledgeable on any available client usable to get onto the chat.

Thanks!

EDIT: And if it doesn't work.....well, what's the holdup, Josh? shifty.gif

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 4th August 2010 19:59
Post #187203
Posted: 4th August 2010 20:42

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I don't use Android phones. I'm an iPhone sheep. That's why I don't know - I use Colloquy for the iOS platform when I chat from my phone.

It does look like there are several for Android, but I can't vouch for how good any of them are. AndChat, Yaaic, fIRC, and ircell are some that come up high on Google searches. Maybe the app market for Android would have ratings and such?

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #187204
Posted: 5th August 2010 00:29

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
As I mentioned in chat, I used Android IRC. It was $4.95 but is a good client. My only beef - and it is a big one - is that I have extreme difficulty connecting when I'm not on a wireless connection. It may simply not be possible over the phone connection. I haven't had any luck with any of the free clients.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #187206
Posted: 3rd October 2010 14:46

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
So I bought the app and I'm trying to get the server settings right for the Android platform. Neal, what did you use for the port #? It's defaulted to 6667 but I don't remember ever entering a port # to enter chat before. I tried looking at CoN's chat section but I don't see any info there, either.

Or, maybe more easily, can you just let me know what info you entered to log on to #narshe, outside of typing in the darkmyst.org server?
Post #188108
Posted: 3rd October 2010 17:10

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (TheEvilEye @ 3rd October 2010 10:46)
So I bought the app and I'm trying to get the server settings right for the Android platform. Neal, what did you use for the port #? It's defaulted to 6667 but I don't remember ever entering a port # to enter chat before. I tried looking at CoN's chat section but I don't see any info there, either.

Or, maybe more easily, can you just let me know what info you entered to log on to #narshe, outside of typing in the darkmyst.org server?

I used 6667. I have a few different servers I use for logging in: irc.darkymyst.org, irc2.darkymst.org, and kryten.ga.us.darkmyst.org, and all of them have 6667 as the port#.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #188110
Posted: 17th April 2011 18:44

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Figured I would post in here in case anyone is curious in the future.

I just got a new Android phone and I downloaded the Yaaic chat client, which is a free client available in the Apps store that has high reviews. I've set it up and used it a little, and it seems to be pretty good. It's quite straightforward to set up and use.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #194230
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: