CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Is Chrono Cross worth it?

Is Chrono Cross worth my time to play? (please state your reasons below)
yes [ 10 ]  [83.33%]
no [ 2 ]  [16.67%]
Total Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 3rd December 2003 22:36

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
NOTE: Please do not read this before you have voted in the poll. I don't want what I've written below to bias your response. Feel free to read it after, though.

Is Chrono Cross worth my time to play it? I really enjoyed Chrono Trigger, but given all the things I've heard about the plot of CC, I think Squenix screwed up its CT's success with CC. Stuff like
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
alternate dimensions breaking off on unplanned events
and
the Masamune becoming an evil sword
I hadn't thought of, and didn't plan to see as such. By the way, I'm making my own RPG in which
one of the characters is descended from Schala and another is descended from Magus
and I claim that
Schala indeed survived the Ocean Palace incident in CT; she was transported to some time period between 12000BC and 1250BC, and her first known descendant is Circe, the famous witch in Homer's Odyssey.
I also claim that
the Masamune is a sacred sword that embodies the spirits of two brothers. THEY decide who gets to use the sword and may (if they feel the need) punish whoever uses it for unwise purposes. There is one other character who is given the Masamune by those brothers because of her wisdom. Later in my game you find the spirit of Doreen, the brothers' sister, who adds her soul to the sword by becoming the Doreen Hilt. This is supposed to greatly increase the power (i.e. stats) of the sword.
Also,
there is this female character who is on your enemies' side, and after the first 2/3 of the game, once you defeat the major enemy team, she disappears. Near the end of my game she reappears but claims she is now Azala and actually looks somewhat like a human-dino hybrid. Supposedly she has accepted the lost but vengeful spirit of Azala. Yes, there's that, and there's the assumption that Lavos was defeated but not yet destroyed--it guards the entrance to lower hell, and must be destroyed to keep it from controlling those certain few evil persons who seek its aid in trying to destroy the world. I also make reference to a set of dragons, but they are to be defeated and become summons, and there are eight of them--the same ones as found in FF6.
What are the dragons like in CC?

From what I've heard about CC, CC screws a whole bunch of my claims and ideas over, and some of my friends have told me it's downright bad as well. Right now I'm considering if I should get my hands on it to try it out and see if I (1) like it and (2) find it applicable to that RPG I'm making. Should I go get it?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #23169
Posted: 3rd December 2003 22:48
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Uh, I'm completely ignoring everything you said and just answering the question.

I really disliked Chrono Cross. Neal tried to warn me, but I didn't listen, and I wasted a lot of time trying to like it. The story was goofy, the characters were childish, and...well, a lot of other things.

If you want a game like Chrono Trigger, this isn't it.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #23178
Posted: 3rd December 2003 23:11

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
It's going to be an overwhelming Yes vote, I think, but I voted no. I really, really didn't like this game. I found the plot boring, the characters incredibly annoying (Almost every character has an accent. I don't mind accents, but when it's all TEXT and not speech, it gets REALLY irritating), and the gameplay awful. I liked the music a lot, though, that was one of its shining moments. I can think of about three parts of the game that I really enjoyed...there was a nice twenty hour-or-so chunk in the middle of the game that made me almost stop playing. It's a spoiler, though, so I won't post it here.

Rent it first, then make your decision. $3 or so is a lot cheaper than buying it, though I think it's a greatest hit now.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #23186
Posted: 3rd December 2003 23:38
Group Icon
SOLDIER

it's my favourite game ever second to mgs 2, so obviously my yes answer is biased. however, i think especially you should play it if you are planning on making a game in which you continue the ct/cc story -- especially since many of your claims do not agree with the history.

schala survived the ocean palace incident -- cc would not have been able to happen without her. but she was in fact transported to the tesseract -- the darkness beyond time, space, and dimension (NOT the same as the end of time) -- with lavos and i guess SOME piece of dreamstone either from the red knife or the mammon machine or her pendant, or just something. this is the same tesseract that marle went to when they didn't save leene at first. it is also where lost futures (day of lavos) and such go. anyhow, lavos and schala merge to become time devourer here (which is why if you kill time devourer you get the bad ending, you have to use the chrono cross to free schala). but schala retains a portion of her own spirit and she creates a clone of herself (kid) who she sends to serge's time/dimension to prevent him from drowning so that he would still be frozen flame's arbiter. </mouthful>

it would seem that, as far as the granleon is concerned, gran and leon (masa and mune) are the two spirits of the sword that embody the wishes of the user -- they can be good or evil. dream (doreen) on the other hand, would appear to be a good spirit only; after all, she not only turns gran and leon good again in cc, and in ct, her wishes unlock the power of grandream.

azala is dead (but not in the 'reptite' dimension split off at 65 M bc). lavos is not -- he resides in the tessarect with schala as the time devourer, and from there he manipulates things just like she does -- such as bringing back chronopolis as a backup plan and also corrupting fate.

the dragons in cc are servants of the entity and carry out the wishes of the planet; they want to destroy humans (the children of lavos). in the other cc thread that is going on right now you can learn a lot about the dragons.

This post has been edited by Neal on 4th December 2003 13:49
Post #23188
Posted: 4th December 2003 01:14

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Chrono Cross is mainly a game for those who have played CT a whole lot! The story of CC is very confusing and to some people that have only played CC, they think the game sucks. The reason I like CC is all the links it has to CT. They are hidden links, some said in one sentence that might not be thought of real well. Some have to do with character names and how they look. If you pay close attention to CC, you will love the game. Seeing the type of CT you are Glenn by your signature and other posts you have put up pertaining to CT, I think that you will love CC. If CC stoped working on my playstation, I would immediately go out and buy another copy. And Glenn, about the masamune. I think you should look at my forum about links between CT and CC. It has a lot of things talking about it which I think that you would like to read.

With enough said, I want to be sure to get the point accross that I love CC and wouldn't have it changed at all. I have played it about 8 times and it never gets old thumbup.gif .

--------------------
I will be the mustard of your doom!
Post #23192
Posted: 4th December 2003 16:33

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I liked what I saw in CC confusing beginning but once you start its fun my friend hated it because he didn't like the idea of the main character getting knocked out by a wave for 10 years or something like that. blink.gif

--------------------
*When all else fails RUN!!!!!

*Theres always a light at the end of the tunnel...just make sure its not an on rushing shot of plasma!
Post #23280
Posted: 4th December 2003 19:44

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
i can identify with neal in saying the first time i played the game, i didnt like it much at all, but thats only because i basically wanted another chrono trigger, which will never happen. the story of cross might not follow that of trigger very much, but the similarities and connections are there, you just have to look for them. i beat the game, and then stopped playing it.

over the summer, a friend of mine, one who had never played chrono trigger mind you, picked up CC and started playing it and he really enjoyed it, so i decided to play through it again, and not even think about the connection between trigger and cross, and after doing that, i think cross is a pretty damn good game.

i voted yes, i think its definitely worth playing...TWICE. the first time through might not do a whole lot for you because its tough to understand and its not very similar to its predecessor, but take some time off and try it again, youll probably like it.

--------------------
You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun, a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

Your time will come...
Post #23294
Posted: 4th December 2003 20:04

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
If you've never played it, you don't know what you're missing. If you don't know what you're missing, how could you know if it was worth attempting to play?
The only answers you're going to get here are opinions that could all be very different from your own if you decided to give it a shot.
My philosophy: don't rely on the opinions of others. Form your own.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #23296
Posted: 4th December 2003 21:57
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Quote (Dark Paladin @ 4th December 2003 15:04)
My philosophy: don't rely on the opinions of others. Form your own.

Anyone else see the irony in this? *grin*

Don't listen to DP! Form your own opinion if you want to, but listen to everyone else if you want to instead!

Oh, wait...

And I'm with Neal's remark. Rent it. If you like it, great. You're only down $3 or $4, and you can go buy it. (Heck, you could buy my boyfriend's copy, more than likely. :P)

And in response to the remark that people who dislike CC obviously haven't played enough CT to appreciate it...that's just incorrect. I've played CT quite a few times, seen all the endings, etc. Some of us feel that CC betrayed CT fans.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #23312
Posted: 4th December 2003 22:21

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I'm going to have to go with Karasuman. Many people get bored with the game quickly and regret ever buying it. Others see it as one of the most godly games on the PlayStation. It would be best to rent the game. On about every poll on whether or not one should buy CC, the answers are always bias. It all boils down to your opinion of a complex game. It does have the great re-play value just as CT has though. That is alwasy a good thing.

This post has been edited by edge murasame on 4th December 2003 22:21

--------------------
Post #23321
Posted: 5th December 2003 02:23
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
CC just ISN'T CT. The big problem is, they offer so many characters, but no character development. Half you party you won't even care about.
Post #23369
Posted: 5th December 2003 02:31

Dragoon

Awards:
CC is a pretty interesting game similiar to CT

the creators chose to use a "semi-new" storline and
a slightly different battle system
the game overall is pretty fun
it's just that there are no origonal CT playable characters
but the game is still pretty fun

*except if you're color blind
because:
the battle system is based on elementals, that are indicated by a colored dot

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #23373
Posted: 5th December 2003 19:17

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
The big problem is, they offer so many characters, but no character development. Half you party you won't even care about.

You can't judge a game on this, Prinnies. The Suikodin series have brought a lot of money in for Konami, and they have 108 characters to choose from. It is similar to CC because both games have 3 to 6 people who are a strong part of the story line. The rest of the people are for a real long and fun side quests. Because of the large variety of characters, a player can choose a team that fits his expectations exactly.

--------------------
Post #23500
Posted: 5th December 2003 23:10

Black Mage

Awards:
i agree. but what really irked me that you could never get
DARIO
and on his own, he was completely cooler than anyone else. with exception to a few.

i thought this game was actually kind of neat, all things considered. this is one of the few games when the consequences of the hero's actions are shown in a sequel. i mean, ad far as RPGs go. also, the whole story was pretty cool i guess.

sorry, thats all i have to say about this.

--------------------
once you can accept yourself, you will never be alone
Post #23534
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: