CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Magus, Live or Die

Posted: 5th March 2003 16:37

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Some people have things against Magus and I want to know why. Evel as he may be I think he is a valuable character and a worthy character (even if he did try to kill Frog... twice). Tell what you think and whether you spare Magus or not.

--------------------
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
Post #9246
Posted: 5th March 2003 19:09

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
i spare him... hes not really evil, his ultimate plan was to kill the entity that was destroying the planet, so hes ok in my book. as for killing or trying to kill the people he did, i think he only really did it because they were getting in his way and it had to be done. i only killed him once just to see if it was hard and what happened, and then i reset the game so i could get him to join my party. magus is super duper.

--------------------
You watch the world exploding every single night
Dancing in the sun, a newborn in the light
Say goodbye to gravity and say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath

Your time will come...
Post #9255
Posted: 6th March 2003 01:44

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Magus is one of my favorite mage/spellcaster characters in any RPG.  He's just so cool.  Mysterious, intelligent, cold, aloof, and unspeakably powerful, he's got every awesome part about the dark anti-hero down pat.  

He had some of the best lines in the game, and for a "secret" character, he had a great amount of development, even as a villain early on.  The plot twist involving him and Zeal is one of my favorites of any RPG.  I agree that he definitely wasn't really evil.  After all, the justifiable motivation for his actions was...
SPOILER ALERT!  Highlight to view:
that he wanted revenge on Lavos for killing his family and destroying his home.

In battle, he was fantastic.  Dark Matter is simply the best attack spell in the game (at least tied with Luminaire), and his possession of all three second-level elemental spells makes him unquestionably versatile.  His lack of Dual Techs gets a little bit annoying at first, but when you've developed all of his skills, attacking individually will usually yield more damage, anyway.  Your first fight with him in Magus' Castle is also one of the most difficult in the game, at least for me, thanks to all that magical barrier switching.  (And the consequental elemental barrage.)

So, needless to say, I never kill him.  It's just so much better to let him join your party.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #9272
Posted: 6th March 2003 01:50
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Magus was a cool character.  Can't really say much more...:E

I agree with what everyone has already  said, he was just all around a good character.
Post #9274
Posted: 6th March 2003 14:07

Crusader

Awards:
I never tried to kill Magus. (Like killing someone who you practically worship would do any good) Although I did find him weirdly easily going the way of evil. Or not...
I just love the battle where I fight Ozzie with Magus!

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #9302
Posted: 6th March 2003 17:21

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
It depends on my mood when I get to that point in the game. I usually say I'm going to get Magus, since he's so far beneath everyone else level-wise (from playing through plus games where I killed him.) But every time I get to that point, and he starts talking trash, it gets hard for me to resist letting Frog settle things man-to-amphibian.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #9308
Posted: 6th March 2003 23:41

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
Dude, you have to keep Magus.  He has to replace Crono until you get him back (or if you just leave him dead).  I never found anyone else close enough to Crono to take his place in battle.

Plus Magus is like, one of the best characters in Chrono Trigger.  He's just cool.  His spells are really powerful and cool, and using a scythe is just awesome.  Yeah...definitely keep Magus alive.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #9334
Posted: 7th March 2003 00:33

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Magus was simply too good to throw away in a duel with Frog.  Sure he deserves it for all the trouble he put Frog through, but I think the benefits of having him completely outweigh the drawbacks.  An extra character that not only rivals Chrono in some categories but also has a quite magnificently done personality buildup (which in the end makes you understand his point of view even more with the whole Zeal thing).

His magic power was astounding, not to mention he got to use one of the neater looking weapons in combat, the SCYTHE!
Post #9339
Posted: 7th March 2003 19:20

Crusader

Awards:
he starts talking trash, it gets hard for me to resist letting Frog settle things man-to-amphibian.

Talking trash?!? What trash?!? He's just tortured innerly.

(Man-to-amphibian - like the Idea)

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #9364
Posted: 22nd March 2003 19:52

Engineer

Awards:
Good question.

Kill him if you're going for Frog's real form (ONLY IF YOU DON'T REVIVE CHRONO!!!)  This is also the 'loser character' challenge.  No chrono and no magus=harder game!  If you do do that challenge, use Robo.  He has access to three of the four elements!

Spare him if you want a helluva character that is the magic part of your party. (Too bad he can't do anything else.  Attack is weakest of the 'fighters' and no healing >_< and he's useless against the Terra Mutant, who's really hard, only hurt by magic and you can't use multitarget magic.)

My suggestion agaist Terra Mutant-use any of the following Crono, Lucca, Marle, Frog.  Then use thier level one magic (Water, fire, lighting, ice) on the top until it dies (it'll take about 10 min...) then just use magic on the bottom.  It'll kill the bottom.  Too easy.

If you need help on any Chrono game or some advice in FF games, feel free to ask (prefably e-mail)

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #9880
Posted: 24th March 2003 04:33

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Magus evil?
More like so ruthlessly desparate to acheive his goals, the line of good and evil didn't matter.
Wait a minute...that does mean he's evil. -_-

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #10019
Posted: 29th March 2003 08:40

Crusader

Awards:
I found that the story progressed well with or without him. Killing him seemed to fit a little better, but Magus wasn't a bad guy, and he was a pretty good fighter.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #10325
Posted: 21st October 2003 02:32

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN European Cup, 2008. Winner of the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Magus is definitely a keeper. He has the best magic power/spells and a decent fighter. In fact all his stats are very good, I have all of his stats except "Hit" up to ** (the highest possible). None of my other characters including Crono can boast that. He's also just really cool and provides what I believe to be the most powerful Triple Tech "Omega Flare". That's one part Chrono Trigger scored on in my book that FF6 missed...they give you one of the coolest characters in CT but in FF6 Leo dies and I really wanted him in my party. pinch.gif

Oh well.

Moderator Edit
OK, we all bump some old threads, sure. But this one hadn't seen a post in EIGHT MONTHS. Do you really think it was necessary to revive it?

Sorry R51, there are just not a lot of fresh CT topics and I loved that game, particularly Magus blush.gif

This post has been edited by The_Pink_Nu1 on 22nd October 2003 02:56

--------------------
SPEKKIO: "GRRR...That was most embarrassing!"
Post #19526
Posted: 22nd October 2003 02:23

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
Magus lives. No doubt in my mind ever. His magic is an essential part of creating a totally unstoppable party. His character, and attitude rock. He comes off as evil, and ruthless, but you get to see him develop and you realize he was just misunderstood, tortured...and ruthless! Did I mention that when he drops that Dark Matter on your ass, he's totally ruthless? Yeah? Ok.

Personally, I always lived Magus over Chrono. I never was too fond of the silent protagonist thing. Not to mention Magus even has a (at first hidden) real name...Janos Zeal!

Personally, his magical prowess, badass attitude, and overall usefullness in all situations make him a much welcomed addition to my party. I only ever killed him the first time through the game, solely because I didn't think he'd join my party if I refused.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #19585
Posted: 24th October 2003 03:11

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
*giggles* I feel so stupid. When I went and found Magus when you had the choice to fight him or let him join, I didn't understand at the time that those would be the consequences of my choices. So I chose to fight him. I didn't think I'd actually KILL him! I thought he'd do a reprise of the end of the first fight with him (which was hard, but oh so much fun), and come back to torment the party later. But no. I just...killed him. And here's the kicker: I didn't even have Frog in the party at the time!

So yeah...I'm imagining that the group goes back to the End of Time, where Frog has been patiently waiting for them to return, and they go, "Hey Frog, we just met an old friend of yours. Yeah, and we kicked his butt, too. Hope you're not too steamed about it, ol' buddy." laugh.gif

Next time I get to that point in the game, I'm not going to make that mistake again. Oh yeah, and for the record, I abso-frickin-lutely HATE HATE HATED the Terra Mutant. That was the worst boss in the game, in my opinion. The Worst.
Post #19672
Posted: 31st October 2003 10:49

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I didn't kill him. Even though I know...

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Frog won't turn back into Glenn if I don't, I assumed that Magus would later turn Frog back into a human.

I don't think Magus is truly evil, he was just raised that way.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #20070
Posted: 20th December 2003 06:19

Dragoon

Awards:
i myself let magus live, mainly because he is a good guy who is mainly trying to
[SPOILER]reunite himself with his sister schala[SPOILER]

the only thing i didn't like is that frog remains human, during gameplay, no matter what you do,
and because of this i would choose to let magus live, he has the coolest magic attacks

magus deserves to live

This post has been edited by Cloud_Strife510 on 20th December 2003 06:19

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #24729
Posted: 21st December 2003 17:47

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Seeing that Magus is one of the main characters that I use, I'm going to have to say that I allowed him to live. Teamed up with Crono, your team basically becomes invincible.

--------------------
I will be the mustard of your doom!
Post #24797
Posted: 21st December 2003 20:13

Black Mage

Awards:
I sometimes let him live my first time through, but more often than not, he is destroyed. I just do not like him. He is one of the most overrated characters of all time, and everyone just gets a kick out of having somebody that can sorta fly. He is more or less mediocre in everything. His attack is good, but not the best. His magic is extremely good, but definiately not the best. He has a smart mouth even though he's been physically been put down by everybody.

He reminds me of the character Vegeta from DBZ.

Magus: I am so awesome!!! I don't need anybody to help me against Lavos. That is how awesome I am! MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

*Enter Crono and company*

Magus: What, you stupid people, I will show you my power.

*They fight, Magus is pwned*

Magus: Errrrr.....I didn't just lose! I'm gonna--TIME WARP THINGY!

*Flash forward to Ocean Palace battle*

Magus: MWAAHAHHA!! Finally, we meet lavos! Prepare for my ultimate attack! Slap thingy that doesn't really do much of anything!!!

*Lavos looks at him, Magus dies*

Crono and Company: Magus you suck, okay! Our turn!!

*Possible to win, but lets say they don't*

Crono: well, ****! *Sacrifices self*

*Flash forward to meet with Magus*

Magus: I'm really awesome! Crono died cuz he's weak. I didn't cuz I am teh r0x0r!!

Frog: Pfft..guys stand back, ill take care of this.

*Party leaves, Frog and Magus fight*

Frog & Magus: YAAAAAAAAAAA!! *CRACK* *BOOM* *BOLT2* *LEAPSLASH*

*Magus croaks*

Frog: w00t w00t

Magus: WAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I got beat, but since I'm such a nice guy, I'll tell you how to get Crono back. X_X

Frog: Alright, lets go get crono!

ANd thats how it happens, if you really wanna think about it. Of course they dont say what i put down, but thats what it basically translates to. And this is why i detest Magus.

This post has been edited by the n00binator on 21st December 2003 20:14

--------------------
once you can accept yourself, you will never be alone
Post #24806
Posted: 20th January 2004 04:47

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (the n00binator @ 21st December 2003 15:13)
Magus: I am so awesome!!! I don't need anybody to help me against Lavos. That is how awesome I am! MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

*Enter Crono and company*

Magus: What, you stupid people, I will show you my power.

*They fight, Magus is pwned*

Magus: Errrrr.....I didn't just lose! I'm gonna--TIME WARP THINGY!

*Flash forward to Ocean Palace battle*

Magus: MWAAHAHHA!! Finally, we meet lavos! Prepare for my ultimate attack! Slap thingy that doesn't really do much of anything!!!

*Lavos looks at him, Magus dies*

Crono and Company: Magus you suck, okay! Our turn!!

*Possible to win, but lets say they don't*

Crono: well, ****! *Sacrifices self*

*Flash forward to meet with Magus*

Magus: I'm really awesome! Crono died cuz he's weak. I didn't cuz I am teh r0x0r!!

Frog: Pfft..guys stand back, ill take care of this.

*Party leaves, Frog and Magus fight*

Frog & Magus: YAAAAAAAAAAA!! *CRACK* *BOOM* *BOLT2* *LEAPSLASH*

*Magus croaks*

Frog: w00t w00t

Magus: WAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I got beat, but since I'm such a nice guy, I'll tell you how to get Crono back. X_X

Frog: Alright, lets go get crono!

That's funny!!!
Magus was ok. If I didn't already beat the game, I usually got him. I didn't go out of my way to do it.

--------------------
Ehhhhhhhhh...I really don't like Sabin anymore...oh well...
Import Addictions
Post #26908
Posted: 20th January 2004 05:15

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Maghus was cool man. No other explaination. Coolness got him by to the living on my vote.

--------------------
Wow. 1,000 posts.

I miss you all now that I'm in boarding school! ;_;
Post #26910
Posted: 13th February 2004 05:16

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Fwahahaa N00binataor. Ph34r 7|{3 1337!(Kefka Laugh) I never used magus actually. And frog is by far equal to chrono. Him and Lucca have the whole frog flare thing which friggin pwns. As to magus good or evil its really more of a gray thing. I usually keep him. The whole talking trash thing really makes me wanna get him though. The Dark Side Tempts me if you will.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #29165
Posted: 13th February 2004 05:39

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Ok....my question has to do with why Magus turned Glenn into a Frog in the first place. If I remember correctly, Glenn and Cyrus set off to hunt Magus, but they never really explain why. I remember in one of the scenes they rescue some girl but that cant be the whole thing.
Post #29168
Posted: 13th February 2004 23:01

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
As I remember, the humans (led by Cyrus) were at war with the Mystics (led by Magus). So it was Cyrus's mission
(albeit his last)
to go after Magus. After that didn't turn out well, Glenn was turned into a frog out of Ozzie's convincing crap and Magus's conscious decision (probably to appear more dangerous and bad@$$ to the humans). Now Frog (Glenn) had set it as a goal to avenge Cyrus by killing Magus.
But he's lost confidence. When your team brings the repaired Masamune back to him, he regains his confidence and sets out to kill Magus. They don't succeed at Magus's Lair, of course, because of Lavos.

Now considering that Frog/Glenn is a character who puts quite a high priority on honor, the most logical thing to do is to fight Magus with Frog one-on-one and kill him. Story-wise, I felt a compulsion to do it, because of everything that Magus did to one of my favorite characters, and out of honor and revenge. But of course I knew he could become your seventh team member, and I was advised to keep him alive (that he would be very useful), so I did.

I would have killed Magus had I not known that Magus is actually quite a powerful character--basically a combined sorceror and fighter. (I seriously would have killed him if I didn't know about the hidden character thing. Coincidentially, my team at the time was Frog, Lucca, and Ayla, because we had to get out of the Blackbird and I picked my 2 favorite characters plus Ayla for fighting bare-handed. And I ended up getting the chance to duel with Magus one-on-one--hey that kicks arse really well.)

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #29246
Posted: 14th February 2004 02:41

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2011-2012. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. 
I let him die 1nce I let him live 18 times biggrin.gif . hes so innocent with being that cutelil kid w/ the cat. wahat his name>? oh jah. Janus. and that weird lady shcala.
it was so sas when she died ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by l)arkShadow on 14th February 2004 02:41
Post #29278
Posted: 14th February 2004 19:41

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Note- It never said Schala Died

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #29351
Posted: 15th February 2004 07:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
yeah....Second only to Magus' quest to destroy Lavos was his search for his sister, Shala.....I dont think that they would imply Magus was looking for Shala all throughout time just to find out she was dead.

......I really liked Shala as a side character, and I loved her theme music. Acutaully I loved all the music during the Zeal era parts of the game, especially the Undersea Palace.
Post #29426
Posted: 15th February 2004 13:43

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I've killed him on occasion just to see all of the endings. But really I ussualy keep him alive. He's got to be one of my fav. bad guys of all time. He's got the hai thing going, and I love how he tightens his gloves as his ready animations.

Though I always get chrono back, just to do everything and cause I like the scene with Marle, but he never gets back into my party. I'm too bust having fun with my Caster party of Lucca Marle and Magus, Dark Eternal is SOOO cool, and Heavily damaging. In addition I get all 3 defensive spells.

This post has been edited by artent on 15th February 2004 13:44

--------------------
"I will be the last, and you will go first!" -Saravok

"Silence Dog. You serve no purpose but to die by my hand." - Jon Irenicus

"Doom awaits thee!" -Mellisan

"Eh-Yo, It's me, Imoen"
Post #29452
Posted: 27th February 2004 05:19

Lunarian

Awards:
Nothing and I mean nothing, is cooler than having your low-level frog take down the mean, mean magus mano e froggo. Once I'm into Chrono+ though I always take him along. After that it only changes if I need a new ending.

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #30791
Posted: 7th March 2004 08:16

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
It really depends... I loved Frog as a character, so I usually let him avenge Cyrus and reclaim his honor by defeating Magus in battle. While Magus is a good addition to the party, I find him WAY overrated much like Sephie... So what if he looks cool and has a scythe? Sure, he has great magic but it just felt like the story was more settled with Frog defeating him.

Although it was fun to go back to his lair later and kill off Slash, Flea, and Ozzie.... Although Flea was quite cool.

--------------------
Je ne t'aime plus,
Mon amour...

Je ne t'aime plus,
Tous les jours...
Post #31589
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: