CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
kain or cecil?

Posted: 4th November 2003 13:49

Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I think it is because Kain filled the bridge between villain and hero. Kain was versitile and justifiable in almost of of his actions. Yes, he looked cool, how could be ever forget that?

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #20225
Posted: 5th November 2003 03:03
Group Icon
SOLDIER

Quote (AnarchistDream @ 4th November 2003 08:49)
I think it is because Kain filled the bridge between villain and hero. Kain was versitile and justifiable in almost of of his actions. Yes, he looked cool, how could be ever forget that?

i fail to see how he could justify even a third of the things he did. 'mind control' is an unacceptable excuse.
Post #20277
Posted: 5th November 2003 06:52

Lunarian

Awards:
Obviously you miss the point of mind control here, he had no control over his actions. Do you blame Terra for the things she did while she had a slave crown on? Even if he chose to go against Cecil, he had remorse for his actions. Perhaps you'll probly say the only reason he skipped Rosa's wedding was for the fact he loved her. I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Post #20288
Posted: 5th November 2003 10:15

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (AnarchistDream @ 5th November 2003 01:52)
Obviously you miss the point of mind control here, he had no control over his actions. Do you blame Terra for the things she did while she had a slave crown on? Even if he chose to go against Cecil, he had remorse for his actions. Perhaps you'll probly say the only reason he skipped Rosa's wedding was for the fact he loved her. I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder.

There's a difference between Beauty and the struggle between Good and Evil.
The difference between Terra and Cain is that Cain allowed himself to fall to mind-control. I already made my point about that, though.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #20295
Posted: 5th November 2003 11:10

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
My my now from a logo discussion just to who is plain better. Well while everyone disses Kain for falling to mind control and being weak minded. I mean he did exert some of his free will by refusing to become a Dark Knight even if it was loyalty to his father. While for possibly 5 years Cecil was a Dark Knight and even though he was noble he still did some bad things and was remorseful. Kain was also remorseful for his betrayal.

However in Ancient Asian cultures betrayal is considered to be one of the most serious crimes hence the game was made in Japan Kain is made out to have this bad ass image. And why he got a bad rap at times. Cecil only got his squeky clean image after he became a Paladin. But really no one is perfect. What I don't like is Kain being comdemned when Cecil is held in high light just because he is a Paladin.

And Cecil himself remained humble after his transformation. He didn't go around and say I'm a sinner but the light saved me. He just was his self and didn't try to make himself look big. And because he did overcome his demons and triumph. He set an example so people could benefit from his actions. Therefore helping out Kain and setting an example for him. It is for this reason I have alot of respect for Cecil.
Post #20300
Posted: 5th November 2003 14:14
Returner

Kain didn't really want to be controlled it just kind of happened. Cecil was a dark knight, not a paladin in the beginning. Kain was a dragoon which was not a bad choice because dragoons are not evil. thumbup.gif Also, Kain can jump so that is much cooler than just covering somebody.
Post #20313
Posted: 7th November 2003 02:57
Group Icon
SOLDIER

Quote (Dark Paladin @ 5th November 2003 05:15)
There's a difference between Beauty and the struggle between Good and Evil.
The difference between Terra and Cain is that Cain allowed himself to fall to mind-control. I already made my point about that, though.

i agree 100%. you'll note that terra's actions were ENTIRELY out of her character -- she is innocent to the point of not knowing what love is. kain, on the other hand, while under mind control, did things that he would have WANTED to do regardless (e.g., steal rosa from cecil -- the triangle is better explained in the japanese translation). don't get me wrong. kain is still my favourite character, but it is clear that he always had a rivalry with cecil -- being 'mind-controlled' just allowed him a 'reason' to express that rivalry.
Post #20446
Posted: 7th November 2003 13:29

Lunarian

Awards:
Well if an example of Terra doesn't work than why not the Street fighter anime, Ken wanted to beat Ryu out of competetive (sp?) rivalry. He always wanted to see who was better. In the end it servedagainst him because Bison used it to make him serve Bison in efforts to kill Ryu. I hold the Kain incident in the same manner.

--------------------
Post #20462
Posted: 7th November 2003 23:27
Group Icon
SOLDIER

then ken is equally as bad.
Post #20488
Posted: 8th November 2003 02:04

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
How can you tell when a topic is on life support?

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #20495
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll